Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163202 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: October 08, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »

Possible running mates for Forbes:

Pat Buchanan
Ross Perot
Barry Goldwater Jr
Ron Paul

(Just a shot in the dark with Goldwater and Paul)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #901 on: October 09, 2010, 10:40:27 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2010, 11:36:57 PM by TommyC1776 »

About a week later, Ross Perot decides to endorse Forbes.  Steve Forbes decides to chooses former Congressman Ron Paul as his running mate.  In the meantime, Ross Perot decides to donote more than $1 million of his money to Forbes's campaign.  This is good for the Forbes team.

Powell/Baker vs. Brown/Bayh vs. Forbes/Paul.

Polling:
Powell 46%
Brown 43%
Forbes 8%
Undecided 3%

President Powell isn't too happy with this tight of a race.  Steve Forbes is happy with 8% in the polls.  "We're at 8% now imagine where we'll be in November."

Wait and see.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #902 on: October 11, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2010, 11:31:48 PM by TommyC1776 »

The 2 Presidential debates will take place on October 4th and October 10th.  Steve Forbes will be invited to debate with Powell and Brown.

President Powell states "We can't afford Jerry Brown or Steve Forbes as President.  Jerry Brown is too liberal and Steve Forbes is too conservative for America."

Brown hears this and says "I'm not liberal I'm a person who believes in rights for all not just the few as the Republicans do."

Forbes hears this and says "Conservatism is what America's about.  We're about conservative values relating life and marriage."

Senate Majority Leader Ted Kennedy states "Americans, you must support Jerry Brown as the best candidate for President.  We must all go support Brown over Powell.  He will keep your healthcare, he will stand up for, etc."

This will be the first election where most states don't use the Electoral College.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #903 on: October 12, 2010, 02:52:10 PM »

The only thing I see that might be a bit off, is that Forbes chooses a fellow businessman with no actual political experience. I can see him choosing a Cosnervative Congressman or something like that. Anyway, good timeline.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #904 on: October 14, 2010, 11:28:23 PM »

The only thing I see that might be a bit off, is that Forbes chooses a fellow businessman with no actual political experience. I can see him choosing a Cosnervative Congressman or something like that. Anyway, good timeline.

Thanks for input Cathcon.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #905 on: October 14, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2010, 03:56:09 PM by TommyC1776 »

During the coming months the House starts to debate the Defense of Marriage Act.  Speaker of the House Tom Foley brings it up in late May.  Over 1/4 the Democrats in the House are against this legislation.  The House passes it 337-98.  Then in the Senate, it's stalled a bit as Senate Majority Leader Ted Kennedy isn't sure this legislation should be brought up at this time.  "This is anti-gay."  states Kennedy.  He holds off on placing it to a vote for a few weeks until he realizes that he can't get 50 Democrats to oppose this.  In the Senate the vote is 69-31.  President Powell decides to sign it into law on July 27th, 1996.  This makes Powell seem a bit more conservative on the issue of marriage between gays/lesbians.

Presidential Polling:
Powell 47%
Brown 45%
Forbes 6%
Undecided 2%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #906 on: October 16, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »

1996 Republican Convention: August 12th-August 15th

Former President George Bush makes the keynote speech at the Convention.  "Republicans, we're going to win this election with President Powell at the top and Vice President Baker at the bottom.  We're going to win and win big in November.  We can't afford Jerry Brown as our next President.  He will just tax and spend.  I repeat Jerry Brown will tax and spend.  We can't have that in our President.  Therefore let's support Powell and Baker this election."

On August 14th, Vice President James Baker took the stage.  "Republicans, I will accept your re-nomination for Vice President of the United States of America.  We must go forward and defeat the Democrats this fall.  We've had a great 4 years.  We first passed the Secure Buildings Act of 1993 and then just last month signed into law the Defense of Marriage Act.  Now let's go forward and defeat the Democrats this November.  Thank you and God Bless America."

President Powell accepts his party's nomination for President on August 15th.  "Republicans, I come to you tonight as your candidate for President.  We've accomplished alot over the last 4 years and I'd like to have your support this fall so we can continue our success."

The Republican's nominate Powell/Baker.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #907 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:39 AM »

Tommy, do my eyes deceive me when I see that you've changed Forbes' VP to Ron Paul?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #908 on: October 16, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »

Tommy, do my eyes deceive me when I see that you've changed Forbes' VP to Ron Paul?

Yeah because I agree that he would've chosen a Congressman or a former Congressman.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #909 on: October 16, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »

1996 Democratic Convention: August 26th-August 29th

On the first night, Senate Majority Leader Ted Kennedy states "We must elect Jerry Brown and Evan Bayh in November.  We can't afford another 4 years of President Powell.  If Brown is elected he will look out for you.  President Powell won't."

On the third night, Governor Evan Bayh accepts the nomination for Vice President.  "Democrats, we must win in November.  We can't afford President Powell's policies.  He's not good for America at this time.  We must support Jerry Brown for President.  Thank you and God Bless America."

On the final night Jerry Brown accepts his nomination for President.  "Democrats, let's go forward and show the President our campaign means business.  If the Republicans get control of the Houses or get re-elected to the Presidency.  Don't trust them.  Vote for real change by voting Brown/Bayh."

The Democrats nominate Brown/Bayh.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #910 on: October 17, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »

Labor Day polling:
Brown 46%
Powell 44%
Forbes 9%
Undecided 1%

For the first time in this race the Democrat is ahead.  Jerry Brown states "This is a good sign."  President Powell states "It's only Labor Day.  Things will change between now and Election Day."  Steve Forbes says "Our numbers are still shaky but we're doing ok."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #911 on: October 18, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »

1st Presidential Debate: October 4, 1996

Jim Lehrer: Hello Americans and welcome to the first Presidential Debate of 1996.  We have with us tonight President Colin Powell, Governor Jerry Brown and Mr. Steve Forbes.  First question, what is your plan for the next 4 years?  We will go in the order of Powell, Brown and Forbes first.

Powell: Well first I want to thank my 2 opponents for showing up and you for moderating Jim tonight.  Over the next 4 years I plan to bring forth more moderate to conservative values here in America.  We can’t allow any liberal spending in Washington like the Democrats want to do and have always wanted to do.

Brown: I want to thank the President and Mr. Forbes for attending tonight.  It’s a pleasure.  During the next 4 years I want to bring back an America we saw under President Mondale.  We were at a better time during those years.  During President Powell’s administration we’ve seen conservatism get a greater tone than before.  We can’t afford that Americans.

Forbes: I want to thank the President and the Governor for attending tonight.  Thanks for allowing me time to debate you both.  Over the next 4 years we need to stop all this spending.  Neither Powell or Brown have a plan to reduce the deficit.  That’s where I will make a better President.  As the leader of a foundation I’ve learned how to balance budgets and deal with different issues.  That’s what we need as President instead of a politician.

Jim Lehrer: Alright thanks.  The second question.  Do you think we’re better off since the implementation of the Secure Buildings Act of 1993?  Governor Brown go ahead.

Brown: I believe that this was a good decision.  We needed to do something and this is an area where all Americans came together to support this legislation and go forward with it.

Powell: This was the right decision.  We needed better security and we got it.

Forbes: All I will say is that we all agree on this.

Jim Lehrer: Last question.  Would you keep the Civil Rights Act of 1991 and the Defense of Marriage Act intact for the homosexual community?  Mr. Forbes go ahead.

Forbes: I want to say that I disagree with the Civil Rights Act of 1991 was wrong and if elected I’d repeal it.  We can’t be giving out handouts to minorities.  Everyone should fend for themselves.  I’m happy with the Defense of Marriage Act.  Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Brown: I say that both of those acts are reasonably well done.  The Civil Rights Act of 1991 helps stop discrimination against gays and lesbians.  The Defense of Marriage Act is a real compromise between Democrats and Republicans.  I say to Mr. Forbes, that people should help out minorities.

Powell: I agree with Governor Brown about the Civil Rights Act of 1991 and the Defense of Marriage Act.  It’s the best compromise that we could all think of at this time.  Minorities are best represented under a Powell administration more than they would be under a Brown administration that’s why you should support me.

Jim Lehrer: Well that’s it.  Remember to stay tuned for the 2nd and last Presidential debate on October 10th.  Thanks again and let’s give them a round of applause.  Thank you and Goodnight.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #912 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »

1st Debate Polling:
Powell 45%
Brown 44%
Forbes 10%
Undecided 1%

President Powell says "We're back in the lead, for now, at least.  Americans will realize after the next debate that I'm better than both Brown and Forbes."

Jerry Brown states "The debate didn't give us the boost we wanted but we still have one more debate to get our message out."

Steve Forbes says "We must get our message out.  We can't afford Powell or Brown.  A vote for Forbes is better."  "I promise to lead you in a better direction."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #913 on: October 18, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2010, 10:05:34 PM by TommyC1776 »

The final debate will take place on October 10th, 1996.

Steve Forbes hopes to "wow" some more voters in the 2nd debate so he can get around 10-15%.  Powell hopes he can win some Democratic voters too.  He calls Forbes "too conservative."

Brown says "I hope that the Republican split this election will help the Democrats.  People also need to remember the days of the Mondale Administration.  When we win it will be a great day for America."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #914 on: October 19, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »

Steve Forbes hopes to "wow" some more voters in the 2nd debate so he can get around 10-15%.  Powell tells voters "Conservatives vote for me rather than Steve Forbes."

I don't want to nitpick, but does Powell have a consistent theme in the campaign, because earlier he talked about how Forbes was too Conservative for America, and now he's telling Conservatives to vote for him. Personally, I would work to shed doubt on Steve Forbes' political experience, instead of his ideology. Great timeline!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #915 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »

Steve Forbes hopes to "wow" some more voters in the 2nd debate so he can get around 10-15%.  Powell tells voters "Conservatives vote for me rather than Steve Forbes."

I don't want to nitpick, but does Powell have a consistent theme in the campaign, because earlier he talked about how Forbes was too Conservative for America, and now he's telling Conservatives to vote for him. Personally, I would work to shed doubt on Steve Forbes' political experience, instead of his ideology. Great timeline!

Good point Cathcon.  Thanks.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #916 on: October 21, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »

Bumpity-Bumpity-Ba-Dump-Ba-Dump-Bump.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #917 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »

2nd Presidential Debate: October 10, 1996

Dan Rather: Hello and welcome to the 2nd and final Presidential debate of 1996.  We welcome with us tonight President Powell, Governor Brown and Mr. Forbes.  First question, describe what America would look like under your administration for the next 4 years?  Governor Brown go ahead.

Brown: Well first I want to thank President Powell and Steve Forbes for showing up tonight.  Under a Brown administration America would look a lot different than we are now.  I plan to fight for the poor and underprivileged.  The rich would pay more for their taxes than the poor.  Under the current President's plan we've seen more of the opposite.  Thank you.

Powell: I want to thank Governor Brown and Steve Forbes for showing up tonight.  But the Governor has me all wrong.  The economy is working.  I'm not taxing anyone higher than they should be taxed.  In fact if the Governor's elected President he'd raise all of your taxes.  He would also grow the government more than it needs to be.  Thank you.

Forbes: I too want to thank Governor Brown and President Powell for having me invited to the debate.  Now what would set me different from both of those men would be a conservative government where we’d not pay high taxes and have less government.  Both the President and the Governor are talking about raising your taxes someway or another.  Thank you.

Dan Rather: Alright.  The 2nd question is, would you support giving Puerto Rico the right to vote for President as well as elect Senators and House of Representatives?  Governor Brown?

Brown: I’d support Puerto Rico having representation in Washington.  I believe Puerto Rican’s should be able to vote on this issue as well.

Powell: I supported statehood for Puerto Rico back in 1992 but they decided to remain a common wealth.  I do however think they deserve a say in Washington.

Forbes: Personally I do believe that they should have representation in Washington but only if the people want it there.  If they don’t, then that’s fine.

Dan Rather: Alright.  The 3rd and final question is, what needs to be done about terrorism?  We saw what happened in New York in 1993.  Then we saw the passage of the Secure Buildings Act of 1993.  Are we safer since the passage of that act?  Mr. Forbes go first.

Forbes: I believe that we need to fight terrorism whether national or international.  We should use force if we must against any country that attacks us.  I also believe that since the passage of the act that we a bit safer.  We’re never going to be safe without protective borders whether they be North, South, East or West.

Brown: As far as terrorism I believe that we should have peace talks with the Middle East as a first option.  Using force at first causes a lot of problems nationwide and internationally.

Powell: Terrorism needs to be stopped and some of it has been stopped.  I believe that act that passed Congress back in 1993 was the best and it’s helped immensely.  Thanks.

Dan Rather: Finally we get to the closing statements.  President Powell go first.

Powell: Well Americans, Election Day is a little more than 3 weeks away.  You must remember that under me the unemployment has gone down and we’ve been able to keep taxes down as well.  Other accomplishments over the past 4 years have been the Secure Buildings Act of 1993 and the Defense of Marriage Act of 1996.  I’ve also been able to have a bipartisan government in working with the Democrats really well.  We can’t afford Governor Brown as he will raise your taxes.  Mr. Forbes isn’t a politician and wouldn’t know how to lead America right.  Remember this when you vote.  Thanks.

Forbes: Americans, you have 3 choices in this election.  Out of your 3 choices I’m going to explain why I’m the best candidate for America.  I’m the only candidate up here who will reduce your taxes and have smaller government.  Both the President and the Governor want to increase the government significantly.  I want to say to President Powell, being a non politician resonates with voters as I’m not a Washington insider like the President is.  Remember on Election Day to vote for a true conservative in Steve Forbes.

Brown: Americans, you need to realize that I’m the only candidate up here who will stand up for the middle class and the poor.  Going throughout America I’ve met people who are fed up with the Republicans.  We need real change and you will get that with a Democratic victory.  Thank you.

Dan Rather: Thanks to all 3 of you candidates.  Remember Americans to vote on November 5th.  Thanks and Goodnight.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #918 on: October 21, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »

2nd Debate Polling:
Powell 43%
Brown 40%
Forbes 15%
Undecided 2%

Powell's happy with the poll.  Brown is hoping he can win the undecided voters and pull of some of Powell's voters.  Steve Forbes is happy he's at 15% in the polls.

In the final weeks, Ross Perot goes on the campaign trail for Forbes saying "Steve Forbes will represent America better than either the Republican or Democrat.  He will lower your taxes."

Wait and see what happens on Election Day.  In House and Senate polling the Republicans are likely to take control of them no matter who wins the Presidential Election.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #919 on: October 21, 2010, 10:40:26 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: President Powell wins re-election.

PV%: Powell 45%, Brown 43%, Forbes 12%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #920 on: October 22, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »

1996 Congressional and Senate Elections:
House: 235 Republicans, 200 Democrats
Senate: 53 Republicans, 47 Democrats

Speaker of the House: Newt Gingrich
House Majority Leader: Dick Armey
House Minority Leader: Dick Gephardt

Senate Majority Leader: Trent Lott
Senate Minority Leader: Ted Kennedy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #921 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: President Powell wins re-election.

PV%: Powell 45%, Brown 43%, Forbes 12%

Just the result I wanted. Smiley Powell wins re-election, but Forbes takes a state.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #922 on: October 22, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »

Forbes states "We did good tonight.  12% was a great victory for our campaign."

As the 104th Congress will be coming to an end soon, Senate Majority Leader Ted Kennedy states "Democrats, in the next Congress we should try and filibuster legislation that stands against the middle class and the minorities.  Thanks."

President Powell states "I want to congratulate the Republicans on their victory tonight.  We can go forward and bring forward Republican ideas."

Wait and see what legislation is brought up in the next Congress.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #923 on: October 22, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »

Tom Foley wants to bring the Puerto Rico Representation Act of 1996 to a vote in the House.  This legislation would give Puerto Rico representation in the House and Senate.  The House votes 250-185 for the bill.  Therefore it goes to the Senate and passes 60-40 with 8 Republicans helping it get passed.  President Powell signs it into law on December 1, 1996.  It will officially take effect in the 1999-2001 Congress.  "This is a great day for Puerto Rico." stated Powell.

This was the last major piece of legislation brought forward in the 104th Congress.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #924 on: October 23, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2010, 07:16:48 PM by TommyC1776 »

On January 3rd, 1997 the 105th Congress starts.  New Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott states "Today's a new day for America.  We're going to go out with the old ideas and in with some new ideas.  The Republicans now have full control in Washington."  New Senate Minority Leader Ted Kennedy states "I want to wish Senator Lott the best of luck in leadership.  We may disagree but I'd like to come together with him on some legislation whenever that is.  Thanks."

On January 20th, 1997 President Powell makes his 2nd inaugural speech.  "Americans, over the last 4 years we've done a lot and we have a lot more planned over the next 4.  An issue that we still need to tackle for a long time to come is terrorism.  The terrorists must be stopped.  We were able to put forth the Secure Buildings Act of 1993 as anti-terrorism legislation.  That piece of legislation is the best terrorism legislation brought forward in a long period of time.  Another legislative victory for this administration has been the Defense of Marriage Act.  This bill won bipartisan support in both Houses.  I want to continue fighting for and looking out for all Americans and I will continue that over the next 4 years.  Some in my party may not like that idea but sometimes that's how you win elections by having bipartisan support.  Thank you."
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies