By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 11:19:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Author Topic: By a Fluke of the Gods: Cox Defeats Harding  (Read 187776 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 05, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »

Uh oh.....
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #376 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

Indeed. Another good update, PBrunsel. Any chance Kemp will run again, I believe the 22nd Amendment was never passed in this timeline? Though by the sound of things he has some tough days ahead.
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #377 on: June 05, 2008, 06:58:47 PM »

In your 1989 posts, you mentioned that Judd Gregg turned down the job of House Minority Leader so that he could run for Governor of New Hampshire in 1990.

Did he win that race?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #378 on: June 05, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »

Clinton for Governor! Smiley

But I'm not too happy about much of the rest... Sad
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2008, 07:15:51 PM »

Webb for President '92!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #380 on: June 09, 2008, 10:48:59 PM »

Event Date: 1-09-1991
Event Description: Secretary of the Treasury Simon tells President Kemp that America’s saving and loan companies (S&L) are teetering on collapse. Simon explains how the massive deregulation of the banks in 1989, matched with low inflation and even lower interests rates, have made the savings and loan business very unstable. “What should I do, Mr. President?” Secretary Simon asks. “Why do anything?” President Kemp asks, “Let the chips fall where they may. That’s my free market philosophy and I thought it was also yours.” Secretary Simon agrees to do nothing until the market reacts. 

Event Date: 1-23-1991
Event Description: President Kemp gets the free market response he wanted, as the three largest savings and loan companies collapse. Lincoln Savings and Loan, Silverado Savings and Loan and Home State Savings Bank of Cincinnati crash, leaving thousands of Americans with no savings. Neil Bush, the Chairman of Silverado Savings and Loan and son of former President George H.W. Bush, is accused of accused of giving himself a loan from Silverado, and getting out of it before the crash, thus making fresh millions but causing those who have invested in his campaign to lose millions. Though President Kemp calls for calm, Wall Street responds to the savings and loan crash by laying an egg. The Dow Jones Industrial Average crashes 312-points, its biggest dip since the 1970s.

Event Date: 1-25-1991
Event Description: President Kemp meets with his cabinet, with the Savings and Loan Crisis being the only topic of conversation. “Mr. President,” Secretary Simon tells the president, “It is empirical that you restore confidence in the economy. We can not afford a recession, which would destroy our economic agenda and put a Republican in office next year.” After some coaxing from Secretary Simon and Vice-President McCain, President Kemp relents to pump government stimulus money into the savings and loan industry, but refuses to compensate those who lost their savings. “The government can not give money to those who invest it poorly,” President Kemp tells his cabinet. “This is typical Kemp behavior,” Senate Minority Leader Dole tells the press, “Subsidize the corporations while ignoring those who are really suffering.”

Event Date: 2-03-1991
Event Description: Speaker of the House Crane and Senate Majority Leader Byrd pound out an emergency relief and reform act for the savings and loan industry. Written primarily by Congressman John Paul Hammerschmidt (Democrat of Arkansas) and Senator Sam Nunn (Democrat of Georgia), the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1991 introduces a multipronged plan which subsidizes failed savings and loan companies, gives the Treasury Department more jurisdiction over loans and establishes a branch of the Federal Reserves which will overlook the banking industry for abuses. This plan enrages President Kemp’s small government supporters, such as Congressman Ron Paul. “This act is just a bail out for house flippers,” Congressman Paul tells the Associated Press, “Coupled with a massive expansion of government bureaucracy. I hope this fails in Congress or President Kemp, a friend of small government, vetoes this monstrosity.” President Kemp, however, supports the bill, seeing it as the best way to stabilize the saving and loan industry while expanding government intervention in banking as little as possible.

Event Date: 2-12-1991
Event description: Despite prolonged debate by Congressman Paul and other libertarian Democrats, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passes the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1991, with Speaker Crane calling it, “The greatest bipartisan agreement in years.” House Majority Leader Newt Gingrich is not so receptive of this “bipartisan plan.” “President Kemp and the leaders of Congress have opened up the flood gates for more big government intervention in the private sector,” a dejected Gingrich warns the nation.   

Event Date: 2-21-1991
Event Description: With the Senate passing the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1991 earlier today, President Kemp signs the bill to the loud jeers of anti-government conservatives.

Event Date: 3-04-1991
Event Description: In wake of the passage of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act of 1991, Congressman Ron Paul (Democrat of Texas), the architect of the modern gold standard and the most outspoken anti-government legislators on Capitol Hill, announces his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for President of then the United States. “I refuse to sit back and watch as the Democratic legacy of government restraint is thrown into the ash heap of history by our national leaders,” Congressman Paul declares as he enters the race for president, “My campaign for president will be based on three things: freedom, freedom and freedom.”

Event Date: 3-11-1991
Event Description: With public confidence restored in banking, Wall Street rebounds for the first time since the year began. The Dow Jones Industrial Average shoots up more than 100-points, with President Kemp’s approvals rising above 40% for the first time since January. Despite this economic success, a recession looms for the nation. The switch to the gold standard is causing massive speculation on Wall Street and unemployment is becoming more of a problem as industrial jobs are being shipped out of the nation due to unrestricted free trade espoused by President Kemp.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #381 on: June 09, 2008, 10:50:14 PM »

Event Date: 4-01-1991
Event Description: Governor Reginald Jackson (Republican of Pennsylvania) announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination for President of the United States. “I have a hard time believing that Jack Kemp’s America is the best America can be,” Governor Jackson declares in his announcement address in front of Independence Hall, “In my life I have seen people achieve things they thought they could never do, and I know America can accomplish that same goal. Why should we listen to Kemp, McCain and Gingrich tells us that we can’t have universal health care, well funded public schools and peace at home and abroad? We shouldn’t listen to them, we should tell them, ‘No! Yes we can!’” When asked if he thinks he can win the election, “Governor Reggie” responds, “I don't mind getting beaten, but I hate to lose.” He is confident of victory, but with no official polling for the 1992 election, no one can be sure.

Event Date: 4-18-1991
Event Description: The New York Times reports that since the Russian-American Free Trade Agreement was signed in 1990, more than 235,000 American jobs have been outsourced to Russia while cheap American grain has nearly ruined every small farmer in Russia. “The trade agreement has had negative effects on both nations,” the article reports, “Especially when it comes to the quality of goods Russia ships to U.S. stores.” There have been several reports that Russian paint, plastic goods and electronics are traced with lead or defective, leading The New York Times to conclude its report with this stamen, “Despite the losses which the U.S. has taken through this agreement, it has gotten very little in return.”

Event Date: 4-19-1991
Event Description: U.S. Trade Representative Carla Hills responds to the New York Times report on American-Russian trade agreements, calling the report, “Extremely biased and riddled with half-truths and lies.” While Mrs. Hills is able to produce evidence which is favorable for the Russian-American Free Trade, it is not enough to offset public opinion against the trade agreement.

Event Date: 5-03-1991
Event Description: Iraqi General Georges Sada, a pro-American capitalist, overthrows left-winged President Hamid Majid Mousa in a nearly bloodless coup. The Iraqi Army, as well as the country’s most wealthy businessmen, had backed General Sada’s coup. President Mousa’s popularity had been dismal since the Iraqi Oil Crisis of October 1990, with the growing Iraqi Middle Class opposing the nationalization of all foreign oil companies. President Mousa is treated well for an overthrown leader, given the selection of a city to be exiled to as well as government funds to aid his family in their new life. The deposed president selects London, which reluctantly agrees to take him in as a political refugee.

Event Date: 5-04-1991
Event Description: President Jack Kemp recognizes the new Sada Governor of Iraq, despite the outcries of disapproval from many Republicans on Capitol Hill. “Why is the democratically elected President of the United States supporting a thug who overthrew a fellow democratically elected president?” Congressman Charles Rangel (Republican of New York) wonders out loud to the Associated Press, “It kind of makes you wonder if Mr. Kemp only cares about freedom if it enlarges his pocketbook.” “Mr. Rangel has once again shown his talent for personal attacks,” Vice-President John McCain tells the AP later that day. The Kemp Administration defends this decision to legitimize the new regime by talking, what else, economics. “General Sada will be a far closer trading ally than President Mousa has ever been,” Secretary of the Treasury Simon tells National Review magazine later that week, “That justifies a coup in my estimation.”

Event Date: 5-12-1991
Event Description: Senate Minority Leader Robert J. “Bob” Dole (Republican of Kansas) announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination for President in 1992. Standing alongside Senator Joe Biden (Republican of Delaware), Senator Dole blasts, “The Kemp-McCain love affair with pet dictators.” Dole launches blistering attacks on President Kemp, accusing him of, “Putting his wallet above freedom.” Senator Dole’s speech is such a vicious one, that First Lady Joanne Kemp contemplates suing for libel, but is advised to just ignore it by President Kemp, “We won’t be here much longer anyway, dear.”

Event Date: 5-20-1991
Event Description: In a Rose Garden announcement, President Kemp tells the world he will not seek another term in the White House. “My fellow Americans,” President Kemp begins, “When it comes to being the most powerful man in the world, all I can say is that the first eight years are the hardest.” After his quip, President Kemp tells the leaders of the Democratic Party, “I will not seek another term as the President of the United States. I leave it to the voters in my party and in the nation to select the best man to succeed me in the great line of American presidents.” With President Kemp out of the running, many Democrats begin contemplating a bid for the Oval Office. As of May 20th, 1991, only Congressman Ron Paul has entered the Democratic battle for the White House. Vice-President John McCain (Democrat of Arizona) is seen as the likely front-runner to continue the Kemp legacy.

Event Date: 6-10-1991
Event Description: Director Ken Burns, the documentary genius behind last years “The Civil War”, releases his latest masterpiece, “Cordell Hull.” President Hull, once a widely admired and revered president, has been forgotten through the years. Burn’s two part documentary discusses the rise of the Tennessean with the funny speaking voice, how he was able to become a political powerhouse and president despite little political upbringing. The documentary is a major success, winning accolades from the Cordell Hull Presidential Center, which is generally cold towards most attempts to document the life of President Hull.

Event Date: 6-29-1991
Event Description: Senator George W. Bush (Republican of Connecticut) announces his candidacy for President, flanked by former President George H.W. Bush, former Vice-President John Love and, of course his loving mother Barbara. “I have always seen America as a very special place,” Senator Bush tells his audience in New London, Connecticut, “A place set apart by two oceans to be a shining city on a hill for the world. Despite the attempts by recent administrations to dampen that light, or put it out altogether, it remains as bright as ever.” The press, never really understanding the former president’s analogies, completely misses this one as well. “He talked about lamps, “one Washington Post reports tells his editor.

Event Date: 7-02-1991
Event Description: General Georges Sada declares that Iraq is now a corporatist state along the lines of that of Japan. “No longer will businessmen and government officials stand as enemies,” General Sada tells his people, “Instead, the government will be as a business, with leaders of both the military and business heading up government agencies and leading our nation to a glorious future.” Despite this heady talk, General Sada has no intentions of liberalizing his nation to allow the poor (or even the Middle Class) to enjoy this new prosperity. He enacts harsh national curfew, identity and military service laws overnight, stripping the Iraqi people of the freedoms they had won during the Iraq War of the 1970s.

Event Date: 7-04-1991
Event Description: Using Independence Day as a backdrop, Vice-President John McCain announces his candidacy for the Democratic nomination for President. “My friends,” Vice-President McCain declares from Mount Vernon, Virginia, alongside his friend, Governor Jim Webb, “I seek the presidency not to oppose another man or even to gain the power and prestige of the office. I seek the presidency to insure that freedom, the freedom I fought and suffered for during the 1960s and 1970s in China, can be a gift given to the next generation.” After the speech, New York Times political reporter Maureen Dowd asks McCain, “If you are so determined to defend freedom, why are you and the president supporting the oppressive regime in Iraq?” Vice-President McCain, known for his hot temper, explodes at Dowd for asking the question, blasting her as, “The most elitist report I have ever met.”

Event Date: 7-05-1991
Event Description: Moscow Mayor Boris Yeltsin is elected to a third term as mayor, leading his Populist Party to big wins in the Russian capitol city. The strength of the pro-laborer Populist Party is becoming so strong, that President Gorbachev has begun appointing members of the party to key cabinet and governmental positions.

Event Date: 7-14-1991
Event Description: The trial of Neal Bush begins in Denver, Colorado. He is being charged with malfeasance and misconduct with public funds while operating Silverado Savings and Loan, which has been successfully bailed out by government funds. The wealthy Bush Family has hired famed defense attorney F. Lee Bailey to stand as Neal’s attorney during the trial. The immediate affects of this news is very negative for the presidential campaign of Senator George W. Bush, whom many in the press are tying to the savings and loan scandal. In honesty, Senator Bush’s hands are clean.

Event Date: 7-21-1991
Event Description: Senator Herb Kohl (Republican of Wisconsin) introduces a resolution to censure President Kemp. “Any man who keeps the company of dictators,” Senator Kohl declares on the floor of the Senate, “Has no right to be respected by this chamber of government.” Senate Majority Leader Byrd laughs off the resolution, never allowing it to come to debate.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #382 on: June 09, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »

Event Date: 8-01-1991
Event Description: Governor William Clinton (Republican of California), despite only having his current position for less than a year, announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination for President of the United States. The bachelor governor announces with his mother on stage, but not his girlfriend, 1986 Miss California Lisa Karen Kahre, in fear that the religious crowd would accuse him of “shacking up” with the 29-year old beauty queen.

Event Date: 8-11-1991
Event Description: President Kemp signs the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which reauthorizes the Civil Rights Act, passed under President Hoover. President Kemp realized that vetoing the act, despite its disregard for state’s rights, was something he didn’t have the political capitol to do, or the callousness. 

Event Date: 8-20-1991
Event Description: In a bunker beneath Baghdad, General Georges Sada greets Vladimir Putin and his followers. Putin is given grand treatment by Sada, who has long admired the daring Russian who dared defy the Western powers. Unbeknownst to General Sada, Putin has plans to use Iraq and it’s military to take control of the Russian government. 

Event Date: 8-23-1991
Event Description: While conducting an interview with former President Robert Kennedy, Bob Woodward is stabbed to death by one of the Knights of the Round Table. Kennedy watches the killing take place as he calmly chewed the Snickers bar that Woodward had brought him. Michigan City Federal Penitentiary Warden Sam Marshall refuses to report the murder, making the death appear like a car accident. Marshall is far too afraid to report the King of Camelot to the authorities.

Event Date: 9-01-1991
Event Description: “The Rose of Mukden” is released in theatres, based off the best selling book by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The film tells the story of Shan Sa, the beautiful mistress of one of China’s most powerful peasant crime bosses, who was able to seduce information out of the Japanese military governor of the city of Mukden, Manchuria. Playing the lead role is 23-year old actress Lucy Liu. Portraying the role of General Douglas MacArthur is Fred Thompson, who is becoming known for portraying historical figures.

Event Date: 9-03-1991
Event Description: In an historic move, Russian President Mikhail Gorbachev announces that he will visit the Baltic Union in December to attend a Baltic issues conference. This statement is greeted with cheers from the people of the Baltic Union, as they have tried to get a Russian leader to visit their nation for many years.

Event Date: 9-21-1991
Event Description: General Sada, the leader of Iraq, begins a multimillion dollar military modernization plan in Iraq, alarming Iran. “The people of Iran want peace with all nations,” Shah Rezā Pahlavī tells the world in a televised press conference, “This includes our ally Iraq.” Secretary of State Daniel Moynihan begins communication with General Sada’s underlings to try to convince him to stop the mobilization of his armed forces, but the Secretary does not expect much to come from it. “You can only talk so much sense to a general,” Moynihan jokingly tells President Kemp.

Event Date: 10-02-1991
Event Description: Televangelist Reverend Pat Robertson (Democrat of Virginia) announces his campaign for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in Lynchburg, Virginia. “We are in a battle for the very heart and soul of America!” the reverend tells his spellbound listeners, “It is a culture war of Christian values vs. godless secularism. The side who comes out triumphant will decide the very future of American values.” After a dramatic pause, Robertson tells the nation, “With God as my witness, I shall never let the atheists take control of this government.”

Event Date: 10-10-1991
Event Description: Amnesty International makes its annual report of the nations which show the littlest respect for human rights. Topping the list if General Sada’s Iraq, which has been, according to the report, responsive for murdering over 25,000 people in less than a year in power. “I guess we now see what type of men President Kemp and Vice-President McCain rely on to keep the peace,” Senator Dole tells a crowd at a Davenport, Iowa, rally, “Once I’m in the White House, you can expect that thug in Iraq to have some trouble.”

Event Date: 11-05-1991
Event Description: In the Mississippi Gubernatorial election, Governor Haley Barbour wins an easy reelection over attorney John Anders, the sacrificial lamb Republican nominee. In his victory address, Governor Barbour surprises the crowd by telling them, “This overwhelming victory has proven to me that together, we can do anything. Together, we have turned around Mississippi and made it the state with the best school system, roads and lowest taxes in the country. I believe that together we could make the whole United States as great as the Magnolia State. Therefore, on this night of victory, I declare my candidacy for President of the United States!” The crowd goes wild after the initial second of shock. Never before in American political history had a politician used his own victory speech to declare his candidacy for another office. 

Event Date: 11-11-1991
Event Description: The Republic of Syria officially grants independence to the province of Lebanon. The Lebanese people had long lobbied for full autonomy and self-rule, but had been rebuffed by a conservative legislature. Today will be declared Cyprus Day in Beirut, the celebration of both independence and the famous tree grown throughout the Lebanese nation. In fact, the Cyprus tree is seen as so important that it will adorn the Lebanese national flag. President Kemp will recognize the new nation tomorrow, leading Governor Jackson to comment, “In three minutes he will have a free trade agreement written up!”

Event Date: 11-25-1991
Event Description: In a move which shocks the political scene, former Congressman Malcolm Little (Republican of Michigan) declares his candidacy for the Republican nomination for President of the United States. The 66-year old political maverick (or loose cannon, depending on your opinion of the man) announces from one of the most poverty stricken areas of Detroit, Michigan. “Who is going to care for these children, these children of poverty?” Little asks the crowd “Will jack “Tax Cut” Kemp? Maybe his lapdog John McCain? Perhaps all the company man Republicans seeking the White House? I don’t think so! These kids are invisible to those men seeking the presidency, which is why I have to run for the position! I can see the invisible, and the poor our invisible to guys like Kemp, McCain, daddy’s boy Bush, Dole, Jackson, Clinton, Robertson, the whole gang!” “The real reason he’s running,” Rush Limbaugh comments, “Is because he is bored and craves attention.”

Event Date: 12-09-1991
Event Description: The Department of Commerce reports that 1991 was the worst year for unemployment since 1979, as was inflation. This report causes Wall Street to go mad, once again causing the biggest five stocks to experience a medium sized decline. President Kemp, whose latest approval rating from Gallup was just 44%, once again calls for calm, built realizes there is little he can do. “I take back what I said at Christmas last year,” Kemp tells Joanne that night, “Sometimes there is just darkness.”   
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #383 on: June 10, 2008, 03:04:34 AM »

Great Update as usual PBrunsel. I predict that the 1992 Presidential Election will see the Republican and Democratic Party's nominating the following tickets: Reggie Jackson/George W. Bush (R) vs John McCain/Jim Webb (D). I could be very wrong but I have a feeling that's what will occur by the time of the Conventions.

Event Date: 8-23-1991
Event Description: While conducting an interview with former President Robert Kennedy, Bob Woodward is stabbed to death by one of the Knights of the Round Table. Kennedy watches the killing take place as he calmly chewed the Snickers bar that Woodward had brought him. Michigan City Federal Penitentiary Warden Sam Marshall refuses to report the murder, making the death appear like a car accident. Marshall is far too afraid to report the King of Camelot to the authorities.

Now that passage reminds me of a timeline on Othertimelines.com where Richard Nixon is impeached as President of the United States and is sent to serve his term in Indiana. I assume you got your inspiration from that? Just like I got mine from this timeline Smiley.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2008, 12:26:46 PM »

I have been in Washington, D.C., as a judge for National Hisotry Day for a week, so I was unable to update this timeline. I will get 1992 up by Sunday.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Wow!

That's all I can say since I last read this nearly 5 months ago. Outstanding work!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #386 on: June 22, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »

Event Date: 1-10-1992
Event Description: President Kemp arrives in Tokyo, Japan, for a week long visit to the island nation. He is the first president to ever visit the nation with the world’s fastest growing economy. The visit will be a major diplomatic success for President Kemp, with Japan agreeing to work on a free trade agreement. “This is really surprising!” Governor Reggie Jackson tells a rally in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, “Jack Kemp wants to send jobs to a country which has no unemployment problems, and take jobs from our own struggling economy! Amazing economics there, folks!”

Event Date: 1-12-1991
Event Description: At a Democratic Presidential Debate held at Lyceum Hall in Bettendorf, Iowa, Vice-President John McCain makes a major policy gaffe. When asked about government ethanol subsidies, McCain tells the moderator, “I can’t stand government waste projects like the ethanol subsidies we force taxpayers to carry every April 15th.” With a state that is known for corn production, this gaffe hurts McCain in the critical first in the nation Iowa Caucus.

Event Date: 1-26-1992
Event Description: Adding to President Kemp’s troubles, the Washington Redskins defeat his Buffalo Bills 37-24 in Super Bowl XXVI. The Bills even used a play that former quarterback Kemp wrote for them.

Event Date: 2-10-1992
Event Description: The Iowa Caucus is held for both parties. On the Democratic side, the Reverend Pat Robertson wins an upset victory over Vice-President McCain. Robertson benefited from evangelical turn out in Western Iowa, as well as the votes of outraged corn farmers angry at McCain’s anti-ethanol position. McCain takes second, with Congressman Ron Paul and Governor Haley Barbour coming in third and fourth respectfully. On the Republican side, Senator Dole wins a comfortable victory in a state which is very similar to his native Kansas. Governor Jackson, benefiting from grassroots support in Des Moines and Iowa City, comes in second, with Senator George W. Bush taking a third place finish. Governor William Clinton finishes fourth, but he had written off the caucuses. Bombastic former Congressman Malcolm Little finishes last, but declares he will not drop out of the race, “Until the very bitter end!”

Event Date: 2-12-1992
Event Description: In a very unpopular move, President Kemp announces that to maintain a balanced budget for the 1993-1994 Fiscal Year he will be forced to, “Make cuts to certain social programs, but none which will affect the American people.” This statement is seen as ridiculous by Republican leadership in Congress, with Senator Dole calling Kemp, “A man in denial.” The Kemp Budget will begin being written, with massive cuts to unemployment benefits and workmen’s compensation programs.

Event Date: 2-18-1992
Event Description: The New Hampshire Primary comes in for Vice-President McCain and Governor Jackson; two men are viewed by Granite State voters as reform minded candidates, which is very popular in New Hampshire. Despite Governor Judd Gregg’s endorsement of Senator George W. Bush, the son of former President George H.W. Bush was viewed by voters as the heir to a legacy of war and tax hikes. The fact that both men are proponents of tax cuts also helps them amongst the conservative New Hampshire voting bloc.

Event Date: 2-25-1992
Event Description: The people of South Dakota cast their primary ballots today, giving both parties clear winners. On the Democratic side, Senator Dole easily outpaces his rivals in this agricultural state. The Republicans have a far more closely contested primary battle, with Governor Clinton winning the primary narrowly over Senator Bush, who both tired hard to win the votes of blue collar, “good old boys” who have great strength in the South Dakota Republican Party.   

Event Date: 2-26-1992
Event Description: After months of tense negotiation with leaders of the Iraqi military, Secretary of State Moynihan is able to end General Sada’s aggressive mobilization of the military. Moynihan agrees to allow Sada to modernize his military, while Sada concedes to limit his grounds forces to 200,000 soldiers and dismantle half the Iraqi military outposts on the Iranian border. The final thing which Secretary Moynihan must agree to is keeping this agreement secret. “I refuse to allow the Iranians to believe that I capitulated to any power,” General Sada tells Moynihan over a secure telephone line, “So tell no one of this agreement.” Despite Moynihan single handedly stopping a second Iran-Iraq War and the possible foreign policy flaunting it could mean, he agrees to this final stipulation.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #387 on: June 22, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »

Event Date: 3-03-1992
Event Description: The Colorado, Georgia, Maryland Primaries, as well as the Minnesota and Idaho Caucuses, are held today, with different results for the two parties. On the Democratic side, Vice-President McCain wins Colorado, Minnesota and Maryland by wide margins. Maryland, home of the U.S. Naval Academy, comes in for the famed naval aviator, with Colorado and Minnesota supporting the Western candidate. Governor Haley Barbour wins Georgia, narrowly outpacing McCain and Robertson. The Reverend Robertson wins the Idaho Caucus, which is dominated by evangelical voters. The Republicans see a free-for-all with several candidates winning the contests. Governor Jackson, the big winner in New Hampshire, is victor in Georgia and Maryland, due to heavy African-American turnout. Senator Bush wins the Minnesota and Idaho Caucuses, using his cash advantage to shuttle more voters to caucus sites. Governor Clinton narrowly wins the Colorado Primary over Senator Dole, who fails to win a single contest today. As is usual it seems, the Republican Primary is a completely open contest.

Event Date: 3-05-1992
Event Description: Former Congressman Malcolm Little, who came in last or near the bottom in every contest last Tuesday, makes some political waves at a rally in Charleston, South Carolina. Speaking before a convention of ministers and social workers, the zealous Congressman Little calls Governor Reginald Jackson, “An Uncle Tom playing it up to the white man so he can get in the White House!” Little rants for 15-minutes about how white people, “Vote for Reggie because it clears their racist white conscience. They’re all saying at their country clubs, ‘Aren’t we so accepting, we’re voting for a black man.’ Give me a break!” The fallout from the speech gives Little exactly what he wanted: publicity and arguments in the African-American community over whether or not Governor Jackson is “black” enough.    

Event Date: 3-07-1992
Event Description: Despite Congressman Little’s inflammatory remarks two days earlier, Governor Jackson wins a big victory in the South Carolina Primary, with Senator Bush taking second, Governor Clinton coming up third and finally the aforementioned Malcolm Little. On the Democratic side, Vice-President McCain narrowly wins the contest, staving off a powerful challenge from Governor Barbour.

Event Date: 3-09-1992
Event Description: The Senate passes the American-Japanese Free trade agreement, despite protests from American automobile companies that this deal will put them out of business. President Kemp, a free wheeling free trader, had previously called those opposing the trade agreement, “Protectionist pessimists.” Senator Tom Harkin (Republican of Iowa) responds to this statement after the agreement is passed. “I would be pessimistic too,” Senator Harkin tells his colleagues, “If I was going to lose my job to a company overseas.” The issue of free trade has become a key one for the 1992 presidential campaign.

Event Date: 3-10-1992
Event Description: “Super Tuesday” arrives, and it is indeed a super affair. Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee and Texas hold primaries, with Hawaii, Missouri and Delaware holding caucuses. The Republicans see mixed victories. Governor Jackson comes out on top with wins in the Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas Primaries, as well as a victory in the Hawaii Caucus. Senator Bush wins the Massachusetts and Rhode Island Primaries, as well as the Missouri and Delaware Caucuses. Governor Clinton is able to win Oklahoma and Florida, but fares poorly elsewhere. Congressman Little once again is without a primary victory, with his best showing being 5% in Louisiana. The Democrats also see a divided night. Front-runner Vice-President John McCain wins the Florida, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Oklahoma and Texas Primaries, as well as the Hawaii and Delaware Caucuses. Governor Barbour wins big victories in the Louisiana and Mississippi Primaries, as they are in his home region, with the Magnolia State being his own home state. Reverend Robertson wins the Tennessee Primary and the Missouri Caucus, as both state Democratic Parties are dominated by the Religious Right. Congressman Ron Paul does well in all the primaries, winning more than 10% in every state, but he fails to win a single contest.

Event Date: 3-13-1992
Event Description: Hotel mogul Donald Trump sings a contract with the Republican of Vietnam to begin building a luxury hotel in Hanoi, its ling time capitol city. The once socialist nation has become far more capitalist over time, and has decided to build the rite of passage for all developing nations: a Trump Casino and Hotel.

Event Date: 3-14-1992
Event Description: With the Michigan and Illinois Primaries approaching in three days, Governor Barbour begins running ads attacking Vice-President McCain as, “An advocate for outsourcing jobs.” He ties President Kemp’s loyal Veep to the administration’s love of free trade agreements and the number of jobs which have been lost to nations like Nicaragua, Russia and, most recently, Japan. McCain’s response is a tough one, to say it kindly. “If Governor Barbour thinks he can win this election by telling lies and smearing his opponents,” Vice-President McCain tells a rally in Flint, Michigan, “Then he is going to find out the hard way that Democrats do not respond to negative attacks on fellow party members. Governor Barbour will find out that being a low down liar is not the way to win an election!”

Event Date: 3-17-1992
Event Description: The Michigan and Illinois Primaries are held, with Vice-President McCain winning both states and cementing himself as the front-runner. Despite Governor Haley Barbour’s last second attack ads against McCain, the Vice-President was able to easily stave off the attacks. On the Republican side, Governor Jackson wins the Michigan Primary by stressing his experience with working class labor leaders as Governor of Pennsylvania, but this is not enough to win him Illinois. The Land of Lincoln comes in for Senator Bush, who spent more than a million dollars in the state. Senator Dole, running low and funds and hoping to win rural Illinois, drops out of the race, endorsing Senator Bush. Congressman Little comes in third in Michigan, behind Jackson and Bush but fails to win his old congressional district.

Event Date: 3-24-1992
Event Description: Senator Bush and Vice-President McCain are the big winners in the Connecticut Primary. A more important election is held in Connecticut today, the Senatorial Primary elections. On the Democratic side, Senator Christopher Dodd easily wins his contest, while Republican State Representative Jodi Rell wins the chance to taker on the most liberal Democrat in Congress. Senator Dodd stayed loyal to his father’s wishes that he stays a Democrat, no matter how far to the right the party moved. While Dodd’s decision is loyal to his father, it is not very wise politically. The Democratic Party has become quite unpopular in The Constitution State, especially since the state’s manufacturing jobs have begun being shipped over seas by free trade agreements. The Dodd vs. Rell senate election is marked as one of the marquee races for this year’s election cycle.

Event Date: 4-02-1992
Event Description: Mafia boss John Gotti is convicted of the murder of mob boss Paul Castellano and of racketeering, and is later sentenced to life in prison. New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (Republican) is credited with providing the evidence to indict the powerful crime boss Gotti.

Event Date: 4-05-1992
Event Description: Billionaire Texas businessman Henry Ross Perot, while being interviewed by Larry King on CNN, tells the nation he is not seeking the White House in 1992, despite several local state draft movements. “I do not see a reason for me the enter politics,” Perot tells King, “That’s a business where you get so covered in sludge and mud that you have to take a bath for a week.” Perot tells King that he will not be voting for John McCain in the fall, “Because he represents another term for irresponsible free trade deals.” When asked which candidate he does like for president in 1992, Perot responds, “I like Reggie Jackson, that nice boy from Pennsylvania. He did some great stuff with the economy in that state, ran it just like a business.” Ever since the Progressive Reform Party failed to gain traction after the 1980 election, Perot has been moving into the Republican ranks.

Event Date: 4-07-1992
Event Description: The Kansas, New York and Wisconsin Primaries come in for Vice-President McCain. He wins big victories in New York and Wisconsin, but only narrowly takes Kansas over Governor Barbour. This primary sweep secures the position of expected nominee for Vice-President McCain, despite the primary season not being even half way through. The Republicans can only wish they were so lucky. Governor Jackson wins the New York Primary, which is the biggest prize of the night, but Senator Bush wins Kansas while Governor Clinton wins Wisconsin.

Event Date: 4-21-1992
Event Description: Though the Romanov Family has not ruled Russia since 1918, their powerless royal family is thrown into a crisis. The death of Grand Duke Vladimir Cyrillovich of Russia, the unofficial Tsar of Russia, results in a succession dispute between Nicholas Romanov, Prince of Russia, and Vladimir's daughter Maria, the grand Duchess of Russia, for the leadership of the Imperial Family of Russia. At his bunker in Baghdad, Vladimir Putin formulates a plan to use this succession dispute to take the reins of Russian government.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #388 on: June 22, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

Event Date: 4-28-1992
Event Description: The Pennsylvania Primary comes in big for both Vice-President McCain and Governor Reginald Jackson, the chief executive of the Keystone State. With McCain’s 62-31% victory over Governor Barbour, Democrats solidify behind McCain while Republicans begin attacking him. “We have a choice,” Governor Jackson tells his supporters at his victory speech at the Governor’s Mansion in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, “We can either continue the failed polices of the Kemp Administration by voting in his own Vice-President, or we can make a needed change.”

Event Date: 4-29-1992
Event Description: Winning only 6% of the vote in yesterday’s Pennsylvania Primary, the Reverend Pat Robertson drops out of the presidential race, endorsing Governor Barbour. “Despite what the media is telling us,” Robertson declares in his withdrawal address, “The Democratic Primary is far from over. This is a battle for the very soul of America, and it will not end until the last votes are counted. We will take this battle all the way to the convention in Dallas if that’s what it takes to get a real Christian conservative in the president’s chair.” Reverend Robertson’s speech only further proves that Vice-President McCain does not have the support of the evangelical base of the Democratic Party. 

Event Date: 5-01-1992
Event Description: Nicholas Romanov is named the next Tsar of Russia, despite claims to the contrary by Grand Duchess Maria Cyrillovich. Seeing a chance to reenter Russian politics, Vladimir Putin arranges a meeting with the disenchanted duchess. He hopes to sue her wealthy supporters to finance an army that will take Moscow and the government once and for all.

Event Date: 5-05-1992
Event Description: The Washington D.C, Indiana and North Carolina Primaries are held. Vice-President McCain wins D.C. and Indiana, but Governor Barbour is able to pull of an upset in North Carolina. His ties to both tobacco and the Religious Right gave him a strong base in the Tar Heel State. Governor Jackson, running a grassroots campaign in all three states, takes Washington, D.C., and North Carolina, but loses the Indiana contest to Senator Bush. Bush’s victory in Indiana can be attributed to Senator Richard Lugar (Republican of Indiana), who endorsed the Connecticut legislator and thus gave him his decades established field game.

Event Date: 5-09-1992
Event Description: In an underground meeting in Kiev, Ukraine, supporters of Grand Duchess Maria Cyrillovich meet with Vladimir Putin and his followers. The Cyrillovich supporters view the incoming Tsar Nicholas Romanov as far too friendly with the liberal President Mikhail Gorbachev. “With him in power we will never regain the slightest authority,” Viktor Schlasovitz, the Cyrillovich Family legal counsel and confidant, tells Putin. “I understand that sir,” Putin tells the concerned Schlasovitz, “Which is why you need to support me in a little undertaking I will soon be overseeing.” The two men discuss a coup against Gorbachev, financed by the wealthy Cyrillovich Family. In return for supporting his coup, Putin will then install Maria Cyrillovich as Tsarina and Schlasovitz as Prime Minister of Russia. “The Cyrillovich Plot” has been hatched.

Event Date: 5-12-1992
Event Description: With the Nebraska and West Virginia Primaries today, the 1992 Campaign is expanded further. Vice-President McCain takes Nebraska, but loses West Virginia to Governor Barbour, who is making a spirited comeback campaign. Governor Jackson wins Nebraska in an upset over Senator Bush by using the Omaha metro area to his electoral advantage. Governor Clinton wins a large victory in the West Virginia Primary, stressing his pro-gun rights stances and running several ads calling Jackson and Bush, “Two New England liberals out to tax you down and take your guns.” Governor Jackson is, of course, from Pennsylvania, not New England, and signed one of the largest tax cuts in Keystone State history.

Event Date: 5-15-1992
Event Description: President Kemp, speaking before the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), challenges the scientists to, “Put an astronaut on Mars by 2001.” the president tells the NASA employees that this could be a reality if, “NASA works hand-in-hand with the private sector.” In other words: privatization of NASA. Many scientists boo and walk out of the speech, while other stand up front heir seats to turn their backs on President Kemp. “Why are you so mad?” President Kemp asks, “The government can’t give you all of the money you need, but if you work with businesses you can. Where’s the downside?” While NASA Director William H. Pickering, a Robert Kennedy appointment, agrees with President Kemp, most in the scientific world do not. “They can argue about this if they want,” Director Pickering tells the press, “But the fact remains that NASA is under funded. How do these scientists think they’ll get to Mars, walk?”

Event Date: 5-19-1992
Event Description: Governor Clinton revives a dying campaign with two big wins in the Oregon and Washington Primaries. While Governor Jackson fins9ihes a strong second in both states, he fails to overtake the West Coast governor. Vice-President McCain wins both states handily over Governor Barbour and Congressman Paul, although Paul did try to sue the issue of drug legalization to win votes in both progressive states.

Event Date: 5-20-1992
Event Description: While campaigning with Senator Dan Quayle (Democrat of Indiana) in Lexington, Kentucky, Vice-President McCain witnesses one of the oddest speeches in his whole public career. While addressing a rally about the importance of family, Senator Quayle attacks the TV sitcom “Murphy Brown” for, “Legitimizing and glorifying out of wedlock births, single mothers and a permissive lifestyle.” Despite the catchy line, “When families fail, societies fail,” most of the media laughs at the attack on “Murphy Brown.” Vice-President McCain responds to the speech by telling the audience, “I was always a ‘Brady Bunch’ fan.”

Event Date: 5-26-1992
Event Date: Still undergoing damage control over the “Murphy Brown Speech”, Vice-President McCain only manages to win the Guam Primary. Governor Barbour, playing in his backyard, wins big victories in the Kentucky and Arkansas Primaries. With the endorsement of Governor Jefferson Thomas (Republican of Arkansas), Governor Jackson wins the Arkansas Primary, as well as the Guam Primary. Governor Clinton takes the Kentucky contest. With the primary season winding down, neither side has a clear front-runner any more.

Event Date: 5-28-1992
Event Description: Going against his own statements, former Congressman Malcolm Little ends his bid for the White House. “It is once again apparent that neither party cares about the poverty stricken masses of the inner cities,” Little tells a crowd in Watts, a poverty stricken area of Los Angeles, “Which is why I can no longer seek an office as a member of the party duopoly.” After thanking several campaign workers, Little declares, “I will now end all presidential ambitions, but not all intentions to help the poor, down trod and invisible.” Little will go on to form a PAC which advocates for poverty relief.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #389 on: June 22, 2008, 05:05:52 PM »

Event Date: 6-02-1992
Event Description: Vice-President John McCain wraps up the Democratic nomination with big victories in the California, Montana, New Jersey and Ohio Primaries. Governor Barbour takes only the Alabama Primary, and by a surprisingly close amount. Governor Jackson wins more primaries than his opponents, but can not seal the deal. Jackson wins the Alabama, Montana and Ohio Primaries, but Governor Clinton takes his home state of California and Senator Bush wins New Jersey. With only one primary left, the Republicans need some form of a compromise to name a nominee.

Event Date: 6-06-1992
Event Description: President Kemp announces that he and Secretary of State Moynihan will make one final visit to Russia, in what he calls, “A mission of understanding.” This mission is scheduled for September 1992. After hearing this, Vladimir Putin and his conspirators decide that their coup will occur during the president’s visit. “Its simple,” Putin explains in his most recent headquarters in a suburb of St. Petersburg, “When Kemp and Gorbachev are visiting the sites outside of Moscow, security will travel with them. The presidents will be out of Moscow, making it vulnerable. Once we take Moscow, Kemp will be forced to flee for his safety and Gorbachev will be sealed outside of his own capitol. It is brilliant.” The coup seems fool proof, and the Cyrillovich Family agrees to this plan.  

Event Date: 6-09-1992
Event Description: Governor Jackson wins the North Dakota Primary, the final contest of the 1992 presidential primaries. Though he leads comfortably in the delegates, Governor Jackson is still 129-deleagtes short of the nomination. Michael Nutter, his campaign manager, begins to speak with the Clinton and Bush Campaigns, courting their delegates.

Event Date: 6-15-1992
Event Description: While meeting with local leaders in Krakow, Poland, Father Rudolph Braun is shot by anti-Catholic extremist Abdul Basit Mahmoud Abdul Karim, an Arab born extremist. Braun is shot twice, once in the chest and once in the neck. Abdul Karim is apprehended immediately, but commits suicide with an arsenic pill as soon as he is taken into custody. The world holds it’s breath as Father Braun is rushed to Szpital Zakonu Bonifratrow, the Krakow General Hospital, and put under the knife in an attempt to remove the bullets and save his life.

Event Date: 6-16-1992
Event Description: At 3:35 a.m., Father Rudolph Braun dies at the age of 42. The bullet wounds inflicted on him by Abdul Karim’s assassination attempt injured his left lung, causing his death by drowning on his own blood. This gruesome death befalling such a holy man shocks the world, as rocks the Catholic Church. Pope John Paul II, who was nearly assassinated in 1981, calls for a world wide mourning of, “The greatest peace maker of our time.” President Kemp and the leaders of over 35-nations issue statements of national mourning. “It is indeed a day of mourning for the entire world,” NBC Nightly News anchor Tom Brokaw tells his audience, “We will all remember where we were on the day that Rudolph Braun died.”

Event Date: 6-20-1992
Event Description: Father Rudolph Braun is laid to rest at the Mexico City monastery he was educated at as a boy. His funeral is covered by press from all over the world, with Cardinal Arthur Ratzinger presiding over the funeral ceremony. “We can be sure,” Cardinal Ratzinger declares, “Our beloved Father Braun is standing today at the window of the father's house, that he sees us and blesses us.” Former President Joseph P. Kennedy, Junior, at the ripe age of 77, tells the press as he leaves the ceremony to, “Saint Father Braun now.” This statement is seconded by Pope John Paul II and Mother Theresa of Calcutta, both of who knew Father Braun personally.

Event Date: 6-23-1992
Event Description: As the world mourned the death of Father Rudolph Braun, major politicking was going on behind the scenes in the Republican Party. Michael Nutter spoke with over 150 different Clinton and Bush delegates and campaign officials, trying to woo them to the Jackson Campaign. Both camps have the same demand: their man needs to be Vice-President. “It’s a crying shame that the Vice-Presidency is so small I can’t name both of them!” Governor Jackson jokes with Nutter. On the surface, Senator Bush is seen as the obvious choice. “He has everything we need,” Nutter tells Jackson, “A famous name, huge connections, the second most delegates, tons of money and is a heck of a campaigner to boot.” “That name could cost us votes, Mike,” Governor Jackson warns Nutter, “After all; his dad was only a one term president. He could be tied to the Iraq War debacle of the late 1970s.” Nutter, having not considered this, then asks, “What does Clinton bring to the ticket?” “Change,” Governor Jackson responds, “Real change that people can be believe in.”

Event Date: 6-24-1992
Event Description: To the glee of a press which had to cover a funeral for several days, Governors Clinton and Jackson meet at the Governor’s Mansion in Sacramento, California. As the pundits speculate and chatter, the two governors discuss merging campaigns, with Jackson running for president and Clinton as his running-mate. “I will be honest,” Jackson tells Clinton, “Many in my campaign are afraid that you will be a liability to the ticket. How can I be sure that you will help my bid for the White House?” “Governor,” Clinton earnestly tells Jackson, “Some see things the way they are and ask ‘Why’, I dream things that never have been and ask, ‘Why not?’ That is why I can help the ticket.” Jackson, a Literature minor recognizes the quote from Irish author George Bernard Shaw, tells Clinton, “You’ve got the job, Bill.”

Event Date: 6-29-1992
Event Description: By a close vote, the Supreme Court sides with Governor Ned McWherter (Democrat of Tennessee) in the case of Planned Parenthood v. McWherter. The case concerned Tennessee abortion laws which limited abortions through regulations. Justice Robert Bork writes the majority opinion, in which he calls Roe v.; Wade, “An unconstitutional infringement on 10th Amendment rights.” Under this new ruling, abortion is once again a state issue, not protected by the U.S. Constitution. “This decision has sent women’s rights back to the Stone Age!” an enraged Senator Barbara Mikulski (Republican of Maryland) rages on the Senate floor, “Once again a few men deem themselves stewards over a woman’s own body.” In response to this, Mikulski’s Democratic opponent in this year’s senate contest, former Ambassador Alan Keyes, states, “I never knew that Senator Mikulski hated the Constitution so much.” The issue of abortion has taken center stage in the 1992 campaign.

Event Date: 7-01-1992
Event Description: The First Union Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, hosts the first real rally for the Republican ticket in 1992. Governors Reginald Jackson and William Clinton, both from large and important states, take the stage, promising, “Change we can believe in.” Despite both men giving charismatic speeches outlining a new, progressive American government, most political pundits focus on Governor Clinton’s reputation as a womanizer. “He isn’t married,” Christian Coalition leader Ralph Reed, only 32-years old, tells CNN’s Larry King that night, “He’s shacked up with women in the governor’s mansion and has been involved in sinful activity with numerous women for more than twenty years. I do not see how Jackson, a former army chaplain, can run for the highest, most honorable office in the land with such a morally bankrupt man as Bill Clinton.”

Event Date: 7-02-1992
Event Description: Immediately responding to charges from Ralph Reed about the morality of Governor Clinton, Governor Reginald Jackson, his wife Juanita, Governor Clinton and his mother Virginia Cassidy appear on Larry King Live. “I realize that I am not as pious as I could be,” Governor Clinton explains to the nation, “I realize I have never married and have dated many women, but those are personal failings of mine.” “That’s correct,” Governor Jackson interjects, “Bill’s personal life is not what’s up for election this year. It’s what kind of public servant he’s been, and ask the people of California, he’s been an exceptional public servant.” “Also,” Clinton’s mother Virginia adds, “Karen, Bill’s significant other, is a wonderful woman. I can tell that both Bill and Reggie are great at selecting their better halves.” The interview is seen as candid, honest and charming by the King’s large audience. Over night, most voters put aside the charges of immorality against Governor Clinton.

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #390 on: June 22, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »

Event Date: 7-09-1992
Event Description: Televangelist Jerry Falwell tells his audience on the 700 Club that the Moral Majority will, “Never support the candidacy of John McCain unless he selects a strong, conservative Christian as his running-mate. Only by choosing such a man can we be sure that as president, John McCain would continue the tradition of President Kemp in appointing conservative judges to courts, thus preserving traditional America.” Vice-President McCain, who has had a rocky relationship at best with the Religious Right, tells his wife Cindy after hearing about Falwell’s decree, “That son of a bitch thinks he has more power than he will ever have.” While McCain had wanted to name Governor James Webb (Democrat of Virginia) as his running-mate, his campaign manager, Terry Nelson, warns him not to antagonize the Christian Coalition. “These guys can be ferocious,” Nelson tells McCain, “Especially for Protestants.” McCain begins a search for a suitable running-mate, much to his own disgust.     

Event Date: 7-16-1992
Event Description: Pennsylvania Governor Reginald “Reggie” Jackson is nominated for President of the United States at the Republican National Convention at Madison Square Garden, New York City. Along with California Governor William “Bill” Clinton as his running-mate, Governor Jackson tells the nation that he will, “Bring about a new birth of equality, underrating and change in Washington, D.C. For too long the billionaires have presided in the White House, robbing from hard working Americans to fill their own bloated pocketbooks. As president, I will remember where I came from and where I will go back too. I will never forget about the people I worked with as a chaplain, reverend, community activist and public servant.” Governor Clinton, the campaign attack dog, rips Vice-President McCain as, “A man who talks like Clint Eastwood but acts like Barney Fife.” The convention is a major success, giving Governor Jackson a large bump in the polls. The day after the convention ends, the Gallup Poll shows Governor Jackson with a 52-38% lead over Vice-President McCain.

Event Date: 8-02-1992
Event Description: The Congress releases the Wilson Report, concerning the assassination of Father Rudolph Braun. Senator Pete Wilson (Republican of California), who had overseen the investigation, reports that Braun was murdered by a fanatic Islamic cell, Al-Qaeda. “Al-Qaeda was retaliating for several agreements which Braun had brought about between Muslims, Christens and Jews,” Senator Wilson tells the committee and press, “Father Braun died for the peace he made.” The leaders of Al-Qaeda admit to the crime, adding in to Al-Jazeera television, “We can only hope the infidel is enduring an eternal punishment.” World outcry is for revenge, but Pope John Paul II serves as the voice of reason. “We should not meet violence and hatred with more violence and hatred,” his holiness tells the Vatican City in his weekly address, “We must remember the word’s of Christ, ‘’Revenge is mine,’ sayeth the Lord, as well as, ‘Blessed be the peace makers, for they shall see the face of God.’”

Event Date: 8-20-1992
Event Description: The Democratic National Convention in Dallas, Texas, does not go the way Vice-President John McCain wanted at all. The convention, dubbed “The Astrodome Pusch” by political commentator Chris Matthews, is dominated by Religious Right figures who spend the convention attacking Governor Jackson as a liberal who will socialize everything and Governor Clinton as a moral degenerate. Vice-President McCain, who wanted to try to moderate the Democratic Party for the national election, is forced to move himself to the right to stay in step with his own party leaders. McCain has not yet selected a running-mate, but makes it clear he will not choose Governor Haley Barbour. Instead, McCain selects Governor John Ashcroft (Democrat of Missouri), a man whom he respects for his candor and honesty while serving the Show Me State. McCain’s acceptance address stresses how he is better experienced to lead, “In a world where the next major crisis is one unknown dictator away,” and his own reputation as a maverick in the Democratic fold. However, his speech is overlooked by a fiery keynote address given by Senator Dan Quayle (Democrat of Indiana). “Why won’t Governor Clinton marry the woman’s he’s shacking up with?” Senator Quayle asks the cheering crowd, “Well it’s because now he may not be able to abort the kid they might have!” Quayle ends his sermon by urging America to, “Reject the socialism and hedonism of the Republican ticket, and embrace family values and American traditions by voting for the Democratic ticket!” In his entire address, Senator Quayle, now seen as a rising star in the party, failed to mention Vice-President McCain even once. The convention turns off many independent voters from John McCain, a constituency he has relied on his entire political career.

Event Date: 8-22-1992
Event Description: Federal agents at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, leave the compound of Randy Weaver alone. He has many guns stock piled, but this breaks no federal laws as President Kemp has signed many laws expanding gun ownership rights.

Event Date: 8-28-1992
Event Description: Governor Jackson visits refugees in Miami, Florida, who have been scattered by Hurricane Andrew. “I feel your pain,” Governor Jackson tells many of the refuges, with this statement becoming one of his new and most effective slogans. “You don’t cuddle up to John McCain,” Washington Times writer Charles Krauthammer writes, “He appears cold and aloof, and after that convention, far too much like the county parson. Reggie Jackson is a man people can relate to, After all, he came from nothing and with the economy facing an impending recession; many Americans now fear they will have nothing. Jackson, whether he’s sincere or not, really does ‘feel the pain’ of people hurting in America, and that is a very powerful tool.”
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #391 on: June 22, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »

Event Date: 9-09-1992
Event Description: President Kemp lands in Moscow to begin his final mission to Russia. He is greeted by President Mikhail Gorbachev, with both men very much unaware that Vladimir Putin is nearby in a suburb of the capitol planning a coup. The two world leaders plan on visiting a newly completed Russo-Chinese War memorial in Vladivostok, Russia, along the border with China on September 11th, 1992, far from the national capitol at Moscow. Putin sees this as the best moment to strike.

Event Date: 9-11-1992
Event Description: As Presidents Kemp and Gorbachev dedicate a Russo-Chinese War memorial in Vladivostok, Vladimir Putin and his partisans enter into the Kremlin through a brutal firefight with guards. Putin, wearing his trademark black trench coat and fedora, enters into the President’s Office, and begins dictating orders to defend the Kremlin from the expected resistance. Being informed of the coup, President Gorbachev immediately issues a statement stating, “The Kremlin is to be retaken at all hazards, and all traitors taken dead or alive.” President Kemp is rushed to a U.S. military outpost in China, as the city of Moscow begins open street warfare. Putin has many supporters in the capital, all armed by weapons supplied by the wealthy Cyrillovich Family. As the sun sets, the Russian military is unable to retake the Kremlin. “I see victory at hand,” Putin tells his followers that night, “Before the sun sets tomorrow, Russia will have entered a new golden age!”

Event Date: 9-12-1992
Event Description: Riding in a tank, President Gorbachev arrives at the steps of the Kremlin, telling the military to, “Press on for the sake of God!” The world, surprised by yet another Putin lead coup in Russia, stands with Gorbachev as he oversees the largest assault on a single building in history. As the noon bells ring above the Kerensky Square, the Russian Military has routed most of the Putin partisans. Seeing his luck running out, Putin decides that rather than continue running, he will end his career indefinitely. Before committing suicide with a Russian infantry pistol, Putin cries, “What I did I did for Russia.” By the end of the day, another Russian coup has been dispensed of, but al trust in President Gorbachev has been lost. “Our glorious leader was asleep at the switch,” Moscow Mayor Boris Yeltsin tells Pravda several days later, “And many soldiers paid with their lives for this incompetence.” Though the Cyrillovich Family is arrested, and will be tried for treason, many in Russia think that the ineffectual Gorbachev should be tired for gross dereliction of duty.

Event Date: 9-20-1992
Event Description: It is released by The Washington Post that President Kemp and Secretary of State Moynihan used the power of the pardon to end an oil crisis in 1990. The Post reports that in October 1990, President Kemp pardoned several convicted felons to end the Iraqi Oil Company nationalization led by the now exiled Iraqi President Hamid Majid Mousa. “These pardoned convicts went on to terrorize communities throughout both Iraq and the Kurdish Republic,” the report declares. President Kemp immediately goes on the offensive, attacking the piece as an, “Election year hit job which is far more political in its aims than legal.” This story hurts the credibility of Moynihan, Kemp and, worst of all for the Democratic campaign, Vice-President McCain. “Where was John?” Governor Jackson asks a crowd in Little Rock, Arkansas, “What was he doing when Mr. Kemp and Mr. Moynihan were abusing the right of presidential pardon to continue our addiction to oil? Maybe he was just too busy to do the right thing!” The next week is dominated by coverage of the story, and Vice-President McCain is unable to defend the administration in an effective way.

Event Date: 10-01-1992
Event Description: President Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as President of the Russian Republic amidst cries of incompetence. “It was never my intention to return to this office,” President Gorbachev tells his nation in his resignation address, “I came to power because of a coup, and now must leave power for the same reason. I find daily that my mental faculties are failing me, which is not an acceptable state for the leader of a nation to find himself in. Therefore, I shall be surrendering power, not due to any recent crisis, but for the Russian people.” No one buys this explanation for the resignation, as all know it comes because of Gorbachev’s own incompetence in the most recent Putin led coup. Vice-President Viktor Chernomyrdin, a technocrat by trade, takes office. “I guess the late Mr. Putin got what he wanted,” Rush Limbaugh tells his radio listeners, “He was able to throw Gorby out of power, but he just isn’t the guy replacing him.”

Event Date: 10-11-1992
Event Description: The first presidential debate of the 1992 Election is held at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. Moderated by Jim Lehrer of PBS, the debate focuses on domestic issues, which are Governor Jackson’s strong suit. “Governor Reggie” tells the nation about his dreams of universal health care, assured Social Security for future generations, energy independence, expanded mass transit for American commuters and tax relief of the Middle Class. “I see that Mr. Jackson is just another tax and spend Republican promising everything to everyone,” Vice-President McCain quips, “While also promising a tax cut. I guess the governor invented his own form of math to balance the budget.” “That’s low John,” Governor Jackson snaps back, “You know as much as anyone that we could have all my plans and a balanced budget by simply ending the Kennedy-Kemp tax cuts for the wealthy.” “I’ve seen the budget, governor,” Vice-President McCain retorts, “I now firsthand how ridiculous that statement is. If you read last months Reader’s Digest you know that is a dumb statement. You just don’t want to admit how wrong you are, so you keep saying the same thing again and again.” “Let’s calm down, Mr. Vice-President,” Governor Jackson tells the red in the face Veep, reminding voters of McCain’s temper. The back and forth discussion is applauded by the viewers as the highlight of the debate, with both men coming out as winners.

Event Date: 10-13-1992
Event Description: The McCain Campaign releases a new television ad attacking Governor Jackson as, “The Philly Fake Out.” The ad chastises Jackson for claiming to be a tax reformer, when all he is, according to the ad, is, “A Philly Fake Out when it comes to taxes.” Using the governor’s ties to Philadelphia in this nickname reminds some voters of the spending hikes that Jackson oversaw as governor, but others see the ad as a desperate attack from a losing campaign. “McCain hopes by raising the banner of ‘liberal’ against Governor Jackson, “Governor Clinton tells a rally in Pensacola, Florida, “He can scare voters into voting for his faltering campaign. Well I have something to tell McCain, being a liberal is not a bad thing and such attacks will only hurt your own chances at the Oval Office!”

Event Date: 10-15-1992
Event Description: A town hall debate is held in Richmond, Virginia, between Vice-President McCain and Governor Jackson. McCain shines in the debate, as town hall formats are his favorite form of political discussion. The Vice-President shows both humor and knowledge while answering questions from undecided voters. His performance gives his campaign a needed boost. The Gallup Poll taken two days later puts the race as Jackson taking 53% to McCain’s 43%.

Event Date: 10-20-1992
Event Description: The Vice-Presidential Debate, held at the Theatre for Performing arts in Atlanta, Georgia, is the show many expected it to be. The pious Governor John Ashcroft rips into Governor William Clinton more than once for living with a woman out of wedlock, supporting abortion, allowing homosexual civil unions in California and appearing on late night television programs which Ashcroft declares are, “The very seats of immorality and permissiveness in American society today.” “The debate was quite a sermon for Governor Ashcroft,” h8umorist Dave Berry quips, “All he needed was a snake as a dance partner and it would have been perfect.”

Event Date: 11-01-1992
Event Description: The Democratic controlled Senate passes the Kemp Budget for the 1993-1994 Fiscal year, which makes steep cuts to Social Security, unemployment benefits, public transit and public education. To many Middle Class voters, this is the last straw. “I can not believe that President Kemp would rather give billionaires tax cuts,” Governor Jackson tells a crowd in Cleveland, Ohio, in disbelief, “Than give the elderly financial security, the unemployed hope for the future and children education.” “Don’t believe the talking points of Governor Jackson,” Vice-President McCain warns a crowd in San Diego, California, “The cuts are not very much, and they will give our nation what it really needs: a balanced budget. I, like President Kemp, will keep a balanced budget to secure the financial future for America’s children.” Despite a pretty good response, many Americans are now fed up with an administration which seems to cater to the very wealthy first and everyone else second.    

Event Date: 11-03-1992
Event Description: Governor Reginald Jackson is elected President of the United States, the first man of either African or Latino-American heritage to hold the nation’s highest office.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #392 on: June 22, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2008, 08:51:34 PM by PBrunsel »

Event Date: 11-03-1992
Event Description: Governor Reginald Jackson is elected President of the United States, the first man of either African or Latino-American heritage to hold the nation’s highest office.

Reginald Jackson/William Clinton (R): 335 EV; 54.2% of the PV
John McCain/John Ashcroft (D): 203 EV; 44.3% of the PV
Others (Libertarian, Progressive Reform, etc.): 0 EV; 1.5% of the PV

His comfortable victory over Vice-President McCain is attributed to his amazing appeal among Middle Class voters and his ability to appear empathetic to those suffering from hardships. “It will be interesting to see,” political pundit Robert Novak states that night, “If Jackson can keep up this image as the most powerful, and unreachable, man on earth.” Jackson’s big win has long coattails, as the Republicans take control of both houses of Congress. In the House of Representatives, even Speaker of the House Phillip Crane is defeated in the Democratic wave. In Connecticut, Senator Christopher Dodd is defeated by a 51-49% by State Representative Jodi Rell, the Republican nominee. In Indiana, Senator Dan Quayle is easily reelected over Congresswoman Jill Long Thompson, the Republican’s hapless candidate.

Event Date: 11-09-1992
Event Description: Secretary of State Daniel Patrick Moynihan is exonerated of any wrongdoing due to the pardons of several Iraqi felons in October 1990. “Now why couldn’t this be decided before the election?” Rush Limbaugh asks his listeners, “It is because that would have helped the Democratic ticket, and the courts didn’t want that to happen.”

Event Date: 12-11-1992
Event Description: President Jack Kemp gives his Farewell Address from the Oval Office. After outlining the many accomplishments he has overseen as Commander-in-Chief, President Kemp tells the nation, “In 1983 when I took this office amongst scandal and mistrust, I was unsure if I could lead this country. It was through the prayers of millions of Americans which gave me the strength to lead the greatest nation on earth. Joanne and I thank you from the bottoms of our hearts for the kindness which has been shown to us by the American people. Together, we rebuilt not just an economy and a nation, we rebuilt our national character. All in all, not bad, not bad at all.” President Kemp will leave office with a 57% approval rating, not bad for a man who never wanted the job in the first place.   
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2008, 05:22:38 PM »

-vich is a masculine name ending. Do you mean -ovna?

Great update, BTW.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #394 on: June 22, 2008, 06:24:33 PM »

-vich is a masculine name ending. Do you mean -ovna?

Xahar,

I must confess I do not know Russian. I thank you for the lesson though. Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #395 on: June 22, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »

Fantastic update Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #396 on: June 22, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »

I couldn't agree more. Glad to see Reggie Jackson elected President of the United States. Who would have thought that would have ever happened in a world, where James Cox was elected President of the United States in 1920 Tongue.

Anywho, just a query about the 1992 Electoral College map PBrunsel. How was Jackson able to win the usually strong Democratic state of Oklahoma? I thought Jackson would be considered too liberal for the hardcore conservative state.

Once again, as I always do. Looking forward to the next update regarding the Presidency of Reggie Jackson. I have a gut feeling that Vice President Bill Clinton will resign or do something shifty regarding Whitewater.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #397 on: June 22, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »

Also: How did he loose the Dakotas?
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #398 on: June 22, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

It's back home to Arizona, John McCain. No Presidency for you.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #399 on: June 22, 2008, 08:32:40 PM »

Could someone please explain the "loose" joke to me once and for all?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies