Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 12:27:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was the most charismatic Presidential Candidate ever?  (Read 9512 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« on: May 16, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

JFK, with Reagan and Obama close behind in second place.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »

I wouldnt even say one of the most charismatic candidates, when you look at people like Lamar  Alexander, John Edwards, Gary Hart.

Alexander and Edwards were not charismatic by any means. Bush Sr. also was not charismatic. Bush Jr. was, since the definition of charisma is the ability to appeal beyond reason, and Bush Jr. managed to do that with a lot of people.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:42:40 PM »

1. Reagan
2. Kennedy
3. Clinton
4. Obama
5. Nixon
6. Bush Jr.
7. Carter
8. Bush Sr.
9. Eisenhower
10. Ford
11. Johnson

This is as far as presidents go anyhow.

Other than LBJ, I agree with this list.

Let me do my own list:
1. JFK
2. Reagan
3. Obama
4. Clinton
5. Carter
6. Ike
7. Bush Jr.
8. LBJ
9. Nixon
10. Ford
11. Bush Sr.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »

Easily Reagan. The man spun a post-industrial nightmare with out of control crack violence, national deficits, teenage pregnancy, and the emergence of AIDS into "morning in America," winning 49 states. Absolutely amazing!

At least Hyperinflation was defeated, which was all that mattered to middle class Americans. They didn't care about crack cocaine, drug addiction, AIDS, sex, or deficits.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

Easily Reagan. The man spun a post-industrial nightmare with out of control crack violence, national deficits, teenage pregnancy, and the emergence of AIDS into "morning in America," winning 49 states. Absolutely amazing!

At least Hyperinflation was defeated, which was all that mattered to middle class Americans. They didn't care about crack cocaine, drug addiction, AIDS, sex, or deficits.

Inflation only matters if you have substantial assets. If you're primarily living payckeck to paycheck, it doesn't matter a bit. It's actually quite helpful if you're in debt, which is why the farmers of the 1890s wanted silver currency so badly. On the other hand, drug violence, closing factories, pregnant kids, and fatal STDs are real problems for people. Give Reagan credit. The man had political skills unequaled in American History. Hell, the man covertly sold weapons to our enemies and is still deified by a substantial part of our population. The man deserves a shrine for his mad skills.

I agree with you that Reagan dserves credit for making Americans feel good despite all the rpoblems that were occuring. Heck, he even made half the country feel good about trickle-down economics. However, I think many middle-class and wealthy Americans had significant assets back in 1980, and also I'm not sure if managers nad bosses would always raise workers' wages by more than the inflation rate. Not to mention that the unemployment rate (%wise) declined under Reagan (from 7.5% to 5.4%), and Reagan was the only Republican President in the last 85 years under whom unemployment declined. That's quite an accomplishment.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »

Reagan completely ignored the aids epidemic. If had been a bunch of rich white kids getting aids instead of gay guys, he would have been at the front trying to stop the spread.

Exactly. The GOP doesn't believe in science and doesn't care about blacks and gays.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »

Reagan completely ignored the aids epidemic. If had been a bunch of rich white kids getting aids instead of gay guys, he would have been at the front trying to stop the spread.

Exactly. The GOP doesn't believe in science and doesn't care about blacks and gays.

Hyperbole much?
I mean I don't like the GOP but god dude, you're almost at BRTD levels in hackiness.

I'm telling the truth. When is the last time the GOP did something signifcant for blacks and gays? 1965? Also, when has the GOP been strongly supportive of science or scientific research that is not realted to outer space?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »

Hyperbole much?
I mean I don't like the GOP but god dude, you're almost at BRTD levels in hackiness.

The sad thing is, he isn't really exaggerating.

Thank you, Tuck. I am just honestly stating facts here. Even Michael Steele (the black GOP chairman) admitted taht blacks have no reason to vote for the GOP.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »

I've never understood this common understanding that Americans have about Reagan being charismatic. Is a good speech writer all it takes to be viewed as charismatic these days?

Reagan was a professional actor. He knew how to present himself to an audience.

Exactly. He knew how to appeal to people's emotions, rather than use reason to appeal to people.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »

I wonder how charismatic Jackson, Washington, the Adams etc. were?

Jackson-Very charismatic
Washington-Somewhat charismatic
Adams-Not very charismatic
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »

The most charismatic I've seen are JFK and Reagan.

Don't forget Obama.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »

I think we're all forgetting Theodore Roosevelt who had his own "bully!" charisma.

I remember Teddy Roosevelt. I just think JFK has more charisma.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »

I don't get why Eisenhower is rated so low, and why people are actually putting Nixon above him.  Eisenhower's likeability was one of his best assets.

I think Ike was much more charismatic than Nixon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies