What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History  (Read 37505 times)
Historico
United States

« on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »

Awesome, nice to see you taking another crack at a Bobby lives TL HC, and I guess my biggest question will be whether he becomes a one term president or not? Keep it comming buddy
Historico
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »

Allthough the withdrawl of the troops put of Vietnam will be seen as pretty popular, It' will also be another major talking point that the GOP could use against Bobby. With the economy in the crapper, It's going to be very hard for the heir to Camelot to win a Second Term. Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »

Awesome, I forgot about what the reveal about the Pentagon Papers might have on Bobby's Presidency, since he was directly involved with alot of Jack's decision's on Vietnam back when he served as Attorney General. It looks like we will have a fairly crowded GOP Field, with all candidates probably running on..."It's the economy stupid!" campaign theme. Can't wait to see what goes down in '72 and if Bobby can get UHC passed...Keep it comming(btw, do you plan on taking this up to the Present day?)
Historico
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:59 AM »

Cue Campaign Music "America has big problems that the Democrats, have shown that they can't fix...Vote for Attorney General Edward Brooke in '76!!!"
Historico
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »

Awesome, Bobby's Second Term isn't going as Rosy as I thought...hopefully the Bicentennial will be enough to lift his spirits, but 1976 is looking more and more like a GOP year...Keep it comming.
Historico
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »

I have a feelingt that this '76 race will be a snoozer with Vice President Yarborough being 73 and Governor Rockefeller being 68, it won't particulary excite the baby boomers on either party. Senator Roman Hruska of Nebraska would be way to old to balance the ticket him only being 72 at the time. Y not go with Congressman Bob Mathias of California to balance the ticket, he's 45, a former Olympic Athlete and been in Congress in 1966(Let say he beats Krebs in 1974 ITTL due to the 6 year rule). Or if you wan't a more stringent Western/Southern Conservative theres Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada, Senator Jake Garn(44) of Utah, Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, Senator John Tower of Texas, Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, and former Governr Claude Kirk of Florida. I think Mathias, Garn, or Barry Jr. would all be smart choices.
Historico
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

It appears Rockefeller overperformed the polls. It also looks like Tower failed to deliver Texas, but then again Yarborough is from there. Hopefully Rockefeller doesn't cut off aid to the Iranian regime like Carter did. BTW, I think it would be a good idea to have Rockefeller die on a different date and possibly in a different year.

Pretty much everything I was going to say lol...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »

Wow, looks like a very Rocky Road, for the 38th President of the United States....And with the affairs getting out im suprised that a coalition of Conservative Democrats and Republicans aren't pushing for Rocky's impeachment. If not, the Rockefeller brand has been tarnished so much due to the scandals, congressional gridlock and his age, I don't think hell run for a second term...Leaving Vice President Tower(Who has his own women's issues as well as his alcoholisim) to pick up the pieces...

In such a time of Stagnation and failed detente...America needs true heroes...Vote Senator John Glenn of Ohio and 4 star General Chappie James Jr. of Florida for your Democratic Ticket in 1980!!!
Historico
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »

Wow, the Ultimate Hawk vs. the Ultimate Dove...McGovern v. Reagan...Should be a very interesting due to how polar opposites they are. George will have the upperhand with as fed up with GOP Adminstration the GOP are...Still I don't the McGovern's ultraliberalism will be super encouraging, so it will be close...Keep it comming.
Historico
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:44:21 AM »

Huh, I would have atleast thought that McGovern would have pulled off a victory in Arkansas due Bumpers enormous popularity in his home state at this time. I just realized that since we had a Rocky in charge from 77 to 81; therell be no Volcker appointment to the Fed...Which means the 1982/1983 could very well last all the way into 1984 and hurt the GOP chances. However, I do think due to our penchant for the "Twenty Year Curse", we could end up with a President Big Jim Thompson before the next election...Can't wait to see what you have cooked up HC...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:28:09 AM »

Well after a pretty much carbon copy version of a Reagan Presidency as it happened IOTL, Im ready for a drastic shift...Jesse in 88!!!
Historico
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »

The names' Bond...Julian Bond!!!So with Reagan being Impeached and not conviced might the Democratic Congress and his family have Pressured him to resign leaving Big Jim Thompsopn as the unpopular imcumbent? Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

Awesome Go President Bond...I guess his status as a Boomlet(48) at the time of the election would allow him to win over a substantial number of Baby Boomer Voters. I was actually suprised he carried Arkansas and Louisana over his home state. I imagine his Presidency being much simmilar to Bush's IOTL atleast Foriegn Policy wise, with a divided congress...He may have to become much more of a moderate than he was in real life. Being a Staunch Gay Rights Advocate as he was, Bond will probably get much more funding on Aids Research and maybe Sexual Orientation rolled into the revised 1990 Civil Rights act.  Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »

Awesome update Hc, seems like Bond won't be able to duch a big turnaround in terms of policy, judicial appoinments etc from the Reagan Adminstration...So it may be very hard for him come 1992 to be looking god for TTL's 1st black potus reelection Campaign...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »

Wow, I was really expecting Julian to be a one term President...So i guess I can put away my Kemp beats Bond Newsarticle then lol...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »

Hmm, Can't say I saw Gore and the Dem's winning the White House for another term...Why didn't Vice President Gephardt run? This ALT Gore Presidency should be incredibly differnt then one we might have seen in January '01 as he largely remained the Moderate-to Conservative record of his Senate Years. I think former Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Christine Todd Whitman is a lock for 2000...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »

Hmm...It's seems like old Al's having a pretty successfull Presidency but I think he is running against the 12 year rule and Democratic Fatigue(The American Peole have never really stuck with the Dems once times got good but IDK) and I think if he runs against another Moderate...One with their own History making Ramification cough "Christie Whitman" cough he could narrowly loose it especially if the Liberal Wing runs a strong candidate cough "Ralph Nader" cough(Imagine how much it would suck to have a Bush V. Gore Scenario but with Gore as the loosing Incumbent President...Ouch lol)...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 01:14:11 PM »

Huh, I wasn't expecting old Johnny Boy to get the nod ITTL, mainly cuz I thought you were going to continue the trend of Progress by getting a woman into Office lol.

What a Tackle by Rosy Grier: POTUS List

36. Lyndon B. Johnson (D-TX): November 22nd 1963-January 20th 1969
37. Robert F. “Bobby” Kennedy (D-NY): January 20th 1969-January 20th 1977**

38. Nelson A. “Rocky” Rockefeller (R-NY): January 20th 1977-January 20th 1981
39. Ronald W. “Ronnie” Reagan (R-CA): January 20th 1981-January 20th 1989

40. Julian Bond (D-GA): January 20th 1989-January 20th 1997**
41. Albert A. “Al” Gore Jr. (D-TN): January 20th 1997-January 20th 2001

42. John S. McCain III (R-AZ): January 20th 2001-???

Notes

37. First Brother of a President elected.
40. First African American President

What a Tackle by Rosy Grier: VEEP List

38. Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN): January 20th 1965-January 20th 1969
39. Ralph W. Yarborough (D-TX): January 20th 1969-January 20th 1977

40. John Tower (R-TX): January 20th 1977-January 20th 1981
41. James R. “Big Jim” Thompson (R-IL): January 20th 1981-January 20th 1989

42. Richard A. “Dick” Gephardt (D-MO): January 20th 1989-January 20th 1997
43. Harris L. Wofford (D-PA): January 20th 1997-January 20th 2001

44. Carroll Campbell Jr. (R-SC): January 20th 2001-???

What a Tackle by Rosy Grier: Defeated Tickets

1968: Richard M. Nixon (R-NY)/Spiro Agnew (R-MD) ; George A. Wallace (A-AL)/Curtis LeMay (A-CA)
1972: Ronald E. Reagan (R-CA)/Charles H. “Chuck” Percy (R-IL)
1976: Ralph W. Yarborough (D-TX)/Kevin White (D-MA) ; Lester G. Maddox (U-GA)/Jesse A. Helms (U-NC)
1980: George S. McGovern (D-SD)/Dale Bumpers (D-AK)
1984: John Glenn (D-OH)/Jesse Jackson (D-IL)
1988: Bob Dole (R-KA)/Paul Laxalt (R-NV) ; Ron Paul (L-TX)/Lenora Fulani (L-NY)
1992: Jack Kemp (R-NY)/Gordon Humphrey (R-NH) ;  Pat Buchanan (I-PA)/Alan Keyes (I-MD)
1996: Orin Hatch (R-UH)/Christine T. Whitman (R-NJ) ; Pete Wilson (I-CA)/Ross Perot (I-TX)
2000: Al Gore (D-TN)/Harris Wofford (D-PA) ; Ralp Nader (G-VT)/Winona LaDuke (G-CA)
Historico
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:33:24 PM »

Hey did you get my PM about my suggestions for VP Campbell and Speaker Armey?
Historico
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:47 AM »

So wait did he drop Campbell from the ticket....U left that part out of the last installment because it's says Thompson at the end of the ticket in '04 instead of Carroll Campbell. Interesting race to have Secretary Ciseneros become the first Hispanic American nominated by either party and have a fairly successful run against a popular incumbent. Can't wait to see what happens in Johnny Boy's second term...Keep it comming,

btw, here's my interpretation of the 2004 Democratic Primaries

Former Secretary of Commerce Henry G. Cisneros of Texas

General Wesley Clark of Arkansas
Former Governor Howard Dean of Vermont
Historico
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:16:34 PM »

Here's my interpretation of the 2000 GOP Primaries...

Senator John S. McCain III of Arizona
Former Governor Lamar Alexander of Tennesse
1996 VP Nomine Christine Todd Whitman of New Jersey
Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana
Historico
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »

So are you going to do the next round of updates like in a primary by primary style or you doing 2008, in the Calendar Date format you started intially?
Historico
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »

Awesome, I loved the little Bio's, this is shapping up to be one interesting Presidential Election...Now for the Republicans!!!
Historico
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »

Intersting...Seems like it's going to be a Kenndy v. Edwards slugfest all the way to the convention, which should prepare Joe for an unevitably uphill battle against the GOP nominee in the General...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »

This was an amazing TL, and it's glad to see you've got another thorughly finished one under your belt buddy!!!
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies