What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 02:25:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What a tackle by Rosey Grier: An Alternate History  (Read 37511 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« on: January 25, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »

June 4: Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins the California Democratic Presidential Primary against Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota. This is a major victory for Kennedy who needed the Golden State’s large delegate pool to give him a chance for victory at the Democratic Convention at Chicago. The victory also allows Kennedy to claim that he is able to win on a big stage, and thus gives him the potential for greater support from the Democratic Party’s establishment. After the victory celebration at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, Kennedy is badly wounded by would-be assassin Sirhan Sirhan. Sirhan’s arm is broken by Kennedy’s body-guard Roosevelt Grier. Kennedy is rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital where he recovers from a bullet to the arm.

June 10: Senator Kennedy is released from the hospital and resumes campaigning. He campaigns for the rest of the summer with a sling covering his left arm. He would later state that “it had more to do with the pain of shaking hands than the bullet. Honestly I was over the shooting in a month, the grip and grin took years to get over.”

June 11: McCarthy wins the Illinois primaries. Kennedy chose not to contest McCarthy here and instead slog it out at the convention.

June 19: Kennedy appears at the Poor People’s Campaign March in Washington D.C. Some 50,000 protestors arrive, and Kennedy delivers a well-recognized speech about poverty in “all of America. Slums and mine towns, farms and ghettoes. We are one America, and we cannot be divided by the color of our skin.” Reverend Jesse Jackson also delivers a powerful speech and joins the Senator’s campaign.

June 25: Senator Kennedy congratulates new Canadian PM Pierre Trudeau on his “mandate for change and progress” after his victory in the Canadian elections.

June 26: President Johnson announces the resignation of Chief Justice Earl Warren and states that Assosciate Justice Abe Fortas will be his nominee for the spot of Chief Justice. Senator Kennedy states “It is sad to see such a great member of the court as Justice Warren leave. He was a pioneer on the issues race, poverty, and education. While his shoes can never be truly filled, Justice Fortas is a good man and will make a great Chief Justice on our nation’s highest court.”

July 1: The United States and 60 other nations (including the USSR) sign the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Senator Kennedy applauds the decision, but fears that India’s refusal to sign “shows an archaic reliance in destruction to resolve the conflicts of the future.”

July 30: When asked about the Vatican’s Humunae Vitae (opposition to abortion and birth control) on the campaign trail, Senator Kennedy replies “I’m a Catholic. In many ways I’m bound to what the Church states on these issues. But I doubt it will come into play if I’m elected President. That’s what we have separation of church and state for.”

August 8: Richard Nixon is nominated by the Republican National Convention to be their candidate for President of the United States in Miami.

August 21: Soviet Troops invade Czechoslovakia to end the “Prague Spring”. Senator Kennedy denounces the maneuver as “yet another Soviet attempt to crush democracy and freedom wherever it may stand.”

August 20-25: Senator Kennedy mediates negotiations between SDS Leader Tom Hayden and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. Kennedy is able to negotiate a compromise where the SDS is allowed to protest in a designated zone outside of the convention, but is not allowed outside of it. Kennedy also promises to Hayden that “if you keep your kids quite, we may actually win this thing.” Daley also reassures Kennedy “if ya can make it to the second ballot, I’ve got it wrapped up for ya.”

August 26: The SDS has its official protest in front of the DNC Convention in Chicago.  However protests by the Yippies occur throughout the rest of the convention, leading to several instances of conflict with the police.

August 28: After the First Ballot of the Democratic Convention, Senator Kennedy and Vice-President Hubert Humphrey are in a dead heat with Humphrey narrowly leading Kennedy.

August 29: On the second ballot, most of McCarthy’s supporters and many of Humphrey’s supporters bolt to Kennedy’s candidacy. Much of the credit is given to Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, a strong Kennedy supporter who brought in much of the Humphrey vote from fellow big-city mayors. Kennedy wins a narrow-majority.

August 30: Kennedy delivers a prime-time address to the nation in which he declares “it is time to unite behind progress, behind change, and behind the values that this nation was founded on. We must build on what President Johnson has achieved, and we must bring an end to the War in Vietnam. But we cannot do this divided. Whether you are from Kansas or California, Massachusetts or Mississippi, we must stand together. Because together we are strong, and together we will win!” Kennedy selects Texas populist Senator Ralph Yarborough as his VEEP. Together they form a very liberal ticket.

September 11: Soviet forces withdraw from Prague after Czech leaders capitulate.

September 12: The Kennedy and Nixon campaigns agree to a debate shortly before the election. Kennedy wanted Governor George Wallace to take place, but Nixon refused. The agreement is reached after several days of debate.

September 15: Reverend Billy Graham sends word from Nixon to Johnson that Johnson will receive credit when the Vietnam War comes to an end. Johnson grows suspicious that Nixon is using Anna Chennault to persuade President Thieu to sabotage the Paris Peace Talks.

September 18: Johnson calls Kennedy to the White House to disclose to him that he believes that Nixon is sabotaging the Peace Talks. Kennedy later states that “it was obviously difficult for the President to help me. But it was better than seeing Dick Nixon in the Oval Office.”

October 1: Justice Abe Fortas’s confirmation is blocked by a conservative filibuster. Senator Kennedy states “Justice Fortas is a good man and a good justice. I question the reasoning for blocking a nomination to the Supreme Court, though I understand it is allowed by Senate rules.” Kennedy misses the vote due to campaigning.

October 3: George Wallace chooses retired Air Force Chief Of Staff Curtis Lemay as his VEEP.

October 20: Senator Kennedy attends his sister-in-laws wedding to shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis in Greece. He flies back that night to continue the campaign. The polls show a dead-heat between Kennedy and Nixon, with George Wallace’s support tapering off after a high of approximately 20% in the late summer.

October 25: The first of two free-flowing debates between Senator Kennedy and Mr. Nixon take place. This one focuses on domestic policy, and is considered a draw. Both candidates take a “law-and-order” stance on race riots and inner city crime, though Nixon focuses more on punishment while Kennedy focuses more on prevention. On the economy both men agree that government intervention is sometimes necessary to control unemployment and inflation, though Mr. Nixon is quick to add “but I assure you, the policies of my administration will be far different than the previous eight years when it comes to the economy.”

October 30: The second debate occurs. The focus is on foreign policy, in particular Vietnam. The debate grows heated early on when Mr. Nixon accuses Senator Kennedy of “attempting to tarnish the legacy of our proud fighting men by withdrawing before the job is done.” Senator Kennedy retorts “Mr. Nixon that is a downright lie. I support the efforts of our fighting men, and nothing they have done has been done so in vain. But it is time that we give them the respect they deserve and bring them home.” The issue of the Paris Peace Negotiations becomes the highlight of the debate and possibly the campaign. When asked about the negotiations, Mr. Nixon states “Frankly I would scrap the whole thing and start over again. We haven’t accomplished anything, I know it, you know it, Senator Kennedy knows it.” When Kennedy was asked if he believes that anything was being gained from the negotiations, Senator Kennedy states “I believe there is, in spite of my opponent’s best intentions. It’s clear that he wants this to fail, and I many sources inside the government who believe that he wants these negotiations to fail until he walks into the Oval Office. This is true. It is sad, but it is true.” Mr. Nixon is noticeably taken aback and unable to come up with a valid response “That’s….that’s just not the case. I’m appalled that you would say that. I’m a patriot…I want to win…I want peace.” The perception among some is that Kennedy was too harsh, but many see this as a major coup de tat in favor of the Senator.

October 31: President Johnson ends the bombing of North Vietnam. Although he despises Kennedy, he sees the debate exchange as forcing his hand. He feels that if he does not react it will appear that all is good. Instead, Johnson announces that “Tonight I will bring in end to the bombings of North Vietnam. The failures to reach an agreement in Paris are a factor in my decision, and I hope that this will be a motivator to reach a peaceful result.”

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »

November 5: In a narrow-result, Senator Kennedy defeats Mr. Nixon and Gov. Wallace. He is now the next President of the United States of America

Kennedy/Yarborough (D) 320 EV, 46% of the PV
Nixon/Agnew (R) 173 EV, 40% of the PV
Wallace/LeMay (I) 45 EV, 14% of the PV

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »

August 29: On the second ballot, most of McCarthy’s supporters and many of Humphrey’s supporters bolt to Kennedy’s candidacy. Much of the credit is given to Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, a strong Kennedy supporter who brought in much of the Humphrey vote from fellow big-city mayors. Kennedy wins a narrow-majority.

I don't see this happening.

It's not supposed to be 100% realistic.

Exactly. This is essentially a best-case scenario for RFK. Daley did indeed offer him support after California, and I believe that many McCarthy supporters would flee his candidacy to support RFK.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:19:40 PM »

1968-1969

November 6: A 167-day strike begins at SF State, led by leftist radicals.

November 12: In Epson v. Arkansas, the Supreme Court upholds the teaching of evolution in public schools.

November 14: “National Turn in Your Draft Card Day” features the burning of draft cards as the death toll in Vietnam reaches 30,000 with 550,000 troops on the ground.

November 22: The Beatles release the White Album.

November 25: President-elect Kennedy announces the holdovers from the Johnson administration: Dean Rusk (State), Stewart Udall (Interior), Orville Freedman (Agriculture), W. Willard Wirtz (Labor), Allen Stephenson Boyd (Transportation). The decision is based on Kennedy’s strong belief that the party must unite to govern effectively.

November: A series of American planes are hijacked by Cubans.

December 2: President-elect Kennedy completes the naming of his cabinet with the announcement that Republican Senator Edward Brooke of Masschusetts will be his Attorney General. The full list of his cabinet follows:
Vice-President: Ralph Yarborough
Secretary of State: Dean Rusk
Secretary of the Treasury: John Connally
Secretary of Defense: George Smathers
Attorney General: Edward Brooke
Postmaster General: Frank Mankiewicz
Secretary of the Interior: Stewart Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Orville Freedman
Secretary of Commerce: John Kenneth Galbraith
Secretary of Labor: W. Willard Wirtz
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Kenneth O’Donnell
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Julian Bond
Secretary of Transportation: Allen Stephenson Boyd

December 4: The Stock Market begins a 44% decline over the next 18 months.

December 8: Vice-President Ky of South Vietnam arrives in Paris for the Peace Talks.

December 21: The Apollo 8 launches with the mission to orbit the moon.

December 23: The USS Pueblo’s crew is released 11 months after being captured by North Korea.

December 24: The Apollo 8 orbits the moon, with the astronauts reading passages from Genesis during the Christmas Eve broadcast. The first pictures of an Earth-rise over the moon are taken.

December 27: With the support of President-elect Kennedy, the US sells fifty F-4 Phantoms to Israel.

December 27: The Apollo 8 lands safely.

January 1: President-elect Kennedy nominates Sargent Shriver to be the chief negotiator at the Paris Peace Accords.

January 5: Shriver replaces Harriman as chief negotiator.

January 12: In Super Bowl III, the AFL’s New York Jets upset the heavily favored Baltimore Colts of the NFL.

January 20: Robert Kennedy is inaugurated President of the United States. In his address he promises to “bring America home from the tragedy of Vietnam”, “create economic justice for all”, and “walk united into the future, not divided as a nation of haves and have-nots, black and white, or urban and rural. We must be together as one. Because divided we will fall, and together we cannot fail.”

January 21: The Senate confirms John Conally, the first cabinet secretary to be confirmed.

January 25: The Paris Peace Talks begin again, this time with the stated goal of the United States to reach a settlement where “US troops will withdraw, South Vietnam will be allowed to survive, and the region will have greater autonomy.” The biggest obstacle for the US is South Vietnam, which refuses to agree to any deal that includes the withdrawal of US troops.

February 4: Yassir Arafat becomes the leader of the PLO.

February 7: After a long process of delaying tactics and threatened filibuster, the Senate confirms Edward Brooke as United States Attorney General. The primary opposition was led by Senator Jim Eastland (D-MS) who stated “Senator Brooke lacks the judicial experience necessary to be a successful attorney general. He is in the same mold of liberal activists as we have seen for the past eight years, and that is unacceptable.” However enough moderate Republicans join with Democrats to break the conservative bloc.

February 8: Governor John Volpe (R-MA) appoints Rep. Silvio Conte (R-MA 1) to fill the seat of Edward Brooke. Conte is a liberal Republican and seen as someone who can win reelection in a trending Democratic state.

February 13: At Duke University, the Afro-American Student Society takes over a building to bring attention to the lack of respect for black students. The university corrects the problems, paving the way for many other universities.

February 24: In Tinker v. Des Moines School District, the Supreme Court rules that students can express views at odds with the government.

February 25: Lt. Bob Kerrey takes place in a controversial raid in Vietnam.

February 27: President Kennedy begins a tour of Western Europe amid cheering crowds.

March 1: Mickey Mantle retires from baseball.

March 3: The trial of would-be assassin Sirhan Sirhan begins in Los Angeles.

March 3: Apollo 9 blasts off from Cape Kennedy.

March 10: James Earl Ray pleads guilty to the murder of Martin Luther King Jr.

March 14: Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas resigns after allegations of corruption.

March 17: Golda Meir becomes PM of Israel.

March 20: Senator Ted Kennedy calls on the US to close all military bases in Taiwan. The President does not oblige.

March 28: former President Dwight D. Eisenhower dies.

April 9: SDS leaders occupy a building in Harvard’s campus.

April 17: North Vietnam rejects the US proposal for mutual troop withdrawals.

April 17: Prague Spring comes to an end with the resignation of the Czech leader.

May 15: Governor Reagan orders a tough response to protestors, leaving one man dead and another blind.

June 8: President Kennedy announces to the American people that “peace negotiations in Paris have ended. The North Vietnamese have refused to end their offensive against the South, and made clear that they will not stop until they capture Saigon. Therefore it is my decision that the United States will begin withdrawing troops immediately, and by the end of the year no ground troops will be on Vietnamese soil.”

July 18: Senator Ted Kennedy spends the night at home with his wife Joan and his children.

July 20: Neil Armstrong steps foot on the moon.

August 8-10: The Tate-LaBianca murders are carried out by the Manson Family.

August 15-18: The Woodstock Music Festival takes place in upstate New York.

September 1: A coup occurs in Libya, ending with Colonel Mummar al-Gadaffi proclaiming himself the Brotherly Leader and Guide of the Revolution and taking power.

September 2: Ho Chi Minh dies.

August 8: The Weatherman rampage through downtown Chicago.

October 4: Several deaths are blamed on LSD.

October 21: A Marxist coup begins in Somalia.

October 21: Jack Kerouac dies.

November 3: President Kennedy announces the “Kennedy Doctrine”: The US will provide financial and military aide to nations fighting communism, but will only intervene militarily in cases of humanitarian crisis or direct confrontation.

November 12: The US army admits that there was a massacre at My Lai.

November 20: The use of DDT is banned.

December 16: The British House of Commons bans the Death Penalty.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:15 AM »

Ugh, I hate Robert Kennedy, but this is a good time line so far.

Thank you. To give you some solace, I would like you to know that by no means will his legacy be that of a saint. Reality has a way of smashing that.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

January 1: President Kennedy signs the Environmental Protection Agency into creation.

January 8: The last US ground forces leave South Vietnam. Two aircraft carriers will be stationed around the country to provide air support, while three airbases will still be used by the US on the ground to support ARVN operations. US guards are still posted at the embassy.

January 12: The civil war in Nigeria comes to an end.

January 19: President Kennedy nominates Griffin Bell to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court. This is his second appointee to the high court, with the first being Luther Mirritt Swygert in 1969. These appointees would continue the activist legacy of the Warren Court.

February 13: GM comes up with a design for cars with unleaded fuel.

February 26: The Beatles "Hey Jude" is released.

March 1: The US declares commercial whale hunting illegal.

March 1: Rhodesia declares independence from the UK

March 5: 43 nations have ratified the Nuclear Non-Proliferation treaty.

March 6: A bomb explodes in a Greenwich Village townhouse, killing several Weathermen.

March 13: Cambodia orders Hanoi to withdraw their troops from the nation.

March 17: The UN Security Council passes a resolution condemning Great Britain for not attempting to overthrow the white dominated Rhodesian government. While President Kennedy opposes the Rhodesian government, he is personally undecided over the British response, or lack thereof.

March 17: The US Army charges 14 soldiers for suppression of facts relating to the My Lai massacre.

March 18: General Lon Nol takes power in Cambodia and aligns himself with the United States.

March 20: In response to the mild recession that the US is experiencing, President Kennedy announces a "jobs bill". The bill will expand federal public works projects, using much of the money from the Vietnam War. The bill receives opposition from conservatives and the AFL-CIO, which fears the unskilled and non-union laborers. However the bill passes with strong support.

March 29: The North Vietnamese Army invades Cambodia.

April 1: President Kennedy signs into law a bill banning cigarette ads on TV and radio.

April 1: Captain Ernest Medina is charged in the My Lai case.

April 8: The Senate approves President Kennedy's appointment of Griffin Bell to the Supreme Court.

April 10: Prominent California Grape Grower Lionel Steiberg signs an agreement with Caesar Chavez.

April 11: The Beatles release "Let it Be"

April 11: Apollo 13 blasts off. It will return on April 17 after a dangerous equipment failure.

April 12: Rainey Pool, a black Mississippi farmer, is beaten and tortured by a mob.

April 22: The first Earth Day, organized by Senator Gaylord Nelson (D-WI) and Representative Pete McCloskey (R-CA).

April 29: President Kennedy announces that the United States will "provide aid and support for the Government of Cambodia. It stands in the face of Communist aggression and will not fall under our watch." This is one of the first examples of the Kennedy doctrine in action.

May 9: UAW President Walter Reuther dies in a plane crash.

May 12: Six men die in a Georgia race riot. President Kennedy announces "these riots will come to an end. We cannot allow our nation to devolve into chaos."

May 31: Hundreds of Amerindians protest on Alcatraz Island which the Government has cut off water and electricity to. They plan to turn it into a park.

June 5: The North Vietnamese government begins releasing POWs along the lines of a secret agreement made during the Paris Peace Talks. The South Vietnamese government was unaware of this.

June 20: Arab leaders arrive in Libya to take place in a celebration commemorating the US handing over their base in Tripoli to the Libyan government.

June 22: The 26th Amendment is signed into law by President Kennedy, lowering the voting age to 18.

July 4: Riots in New Jersey prompt the President to propose a bill to congress to focus on inner-city rebuilding. The bill will create "free-enterprise zones" in inner cities, provide greater funds for public education, focus on rebuilding government housing, beautification of impoverished areas, and greater pay and funding for the police and national guard. The bill passes congress with substantial support from both parties.

July 21: The Aswan Damn opens in Egypt.

July 24: Freddie Mac is chartered by congress.

August 7: Israel, Jordan, and Egypt agree to a US-proposed ceasefire.

August 25: The US closes all air-bases in South Vietnam as NVA forces begin to rout the ARVN.

September 4: Salvador Allende (a socialist) wins the Presidency in Chile.

September 6: Five airliners are hijacked by the PLO.

September 15: President Kennedy refuses to support a coup in Chile.

September 16: In Jordan a war erupts begin Palestinians and the Jordan military.

September 18: Jimi Hendrix dies.

September 22: A peace conference for the war in Jordan turns into a shouting match.

September 27: A cease-fire ends the Jordan war.

September 28: President Nasser dies in Egypt.

October 1: With the President's strong support, Washington D.C. is given a seat in Congress. Walter Fauntroy will win the seat in the 1970 midterm elections.

October 4: Janis Joplin dies.

November 3: Governor Ronald Reagan wins reelection in California.

November 20: China takes it seat over Taiwan in the UN.

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

1970 Midterm Elections

With President Kennedy's approval ratings in the mid-50s, the Democratic Party hoped to withstand the generally rough first midterm elections. They chose to emphasize the end of the Vietnam War and the active role that the President was taking domestically. The Republicans focused their attacks on the continuing urban rioting, as well as the bad economy and growing debt. They shied away from the more radical rhetoric of some within the party, and chose instead to emphasize law and order and fiscal responsibility.

Senate Results
Entering Election: 56 D, 44 R
Democratic Gains
-California: John V. Tunney
-Illinois: Adlai Stevenson III
-New York: Richard Ottinger
Republican Gains
-Connecticut: Lowell P. Weicker, Jr.
-Indiana: Richard L. Roudebush
-Maryland: John Glenn Beall, Jr.
-Missouri: John Danforth
-Ohio: Robert A. Taft, Jr.
-Tennessee: Bill Brock
Following Election: 52 D, 47 R, 1 I

House of Representatives
Entering Election: 243 D, 192 R
Following Election: 237 D, 198 R

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »

Allthough the withdrawl of the troops put of Vietnam will be seen as pretty popular, It' will also be another major talking point that the GOP could use against Bobby. With the economy in the crapper, It's going to be very hard for the heir to Camelot to win a Second Term. Keep it comming HC

The economy can still recover by 1972. It did the trick for Nixon, didn't it?

Indeed it did.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »

January 5: Lawrence O’Brien is named DNC chairman, while Bob Dole is named RNC chairman.

January 6: Congress officially overturns the Gulf of Tonkin resolution. This symbolic gesture was strongly supported by President Kennedy.

January 18: Saigon falls to the North Vietnamese military. The US embassy evacuates many American allies in some historic images.

January 18: A massive oil tanker collision occurs in San Francisco bay.

January 25: Charles Manson and his “family” are convicted of the Tate-LaBianca murders.

January 25: General Idi Amin leads a coup in Uganda. He receives support from both Great Britain and the United States for replacing a socialist regime.

January 28: Amin releases 55 political prisoners and bans political activities.

January 31: Apollo 14 blasts off for the moon.

February 1-2: Amin fires all mayors linked with the previous regime and closes parliament.

February 3: OPEC decides to set prices without informing consumers.

February 4: Rolls-Royce is nationalized.

February 5: Apollo 14 lands on the moon.

February 6: A brutal arson and shooting occurs in North Carolina.

February 6: Amin kills off political and military opponents.

February 7: Switzerland initiates female suffrage.

February 8: NASDAQ goes live.

February 9: Satchel Pagie is named to the Hall of Fame.

February 11: Treasury Secretary John Connally imposes a 10% surcharge on imports and repudiated fixed exchange rates to deal with the slight recession.

March 8: Ali and Frazier have their first fight and MSG.

March 10: The Senate approves the 18 year old voting amendment.

March 12: The Turkish military initiates a coup to restore order. This is the second time they would do this.

March 25: The Pakistani military aggressively eliminates political resistance in East Pakistan.

March 26: Bangladesh declares independence from Pakistan.

March 27: India proclaims its support for Bangladesh.

March 28: The last new episode of The Ed Sullivan Show airs.

March 29: Lt. William Calley is sentenced to life imprisonment.

April 8: Ping-Pong diplomacy begins as the Chinese team invites the US team to China.

April 9: Charles Manson is sentenced to death.

April 14: Despite pressure from members of his cabinet, President Kennedy refuses to end the blockade with China.

April 19: The Bangladesh government flees to India.

April 20: The US Supreme Court unanimously states that bussing may be used to achieve integration of public schools.

April 28: The US Occupational and Safety Administration is created.

May 1: Amtrak goes into operation.

May 3: “All Things Considered” goes on the air on NPR. White House Press Secretary Pierre Salinger is one of the chief advisers to the new station.

May 14: Pope Paul VI delivers Octagesima Adveniens, a letter in support of democracy and in support of the Rerum Novarum doctrine.

May 18: President Kennedy agrees to accept many of the Black Caucuses demands, including greater funding for education, public housing, and inner city growth. However he refuses to support increased funding for welfare, a program which he sees as inherently flawed.

May 20: Congress cancels the SST supersonic jet program.

June 10: Government officials remove the dozen or so Amerindians from Alcatraz Island.

June 10: President Kennedy refuses to lift the trade embargo on China.

June 13: The New York Times began the printing of the Pentagon Papers.

June 17: The US agrees to return Okinawa to Japan in 1972.

June 28: The Supreme Court overturns Muhammad Ali’s draft order.

June 28: The Supreme Court rules that aid to parochial schools is unconstitutional.

June 29: Senator Mike Gravel enters the Pentagon Papers into public record.

June 30: The 26th Amendment is ratified.

July 3: Jim Morrison dies.

July 6: Louis Armstrong dies.

July 10: A failed coup in Morocco leaves over 100 dead.

July 11: Chile nationalizes its copper mines.

July 26: Apollo 15 launches.

July 30: Apollo 15 lands on the moon.

August 9: India signs a 20-year peace pact with the Soviet Union.

August 9: The British begin a policy of internment without trial in Northern Ireland.

August 14: 12,500 British troops are now in Northern Ireland.

August 15: Inflation is growing in the US, but is still under control due to the end of the Vietnam War.

August 16-17: Strikes begin in Londonderry over the internment policy.

September: President Kennedy nominates James R. Browning and Irving Kaufman to the US Supreme Court. Both men will be confirmed.

September 8: The Kennedy Center is opened.

September 11: Former Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev died.

September 13: The Attica Prison revolt is ended.

October 3: Governor Ronald Reagan of California is the first candidate to declare his intention to run for the Presidency in 1972. He will soon be followed by New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Senator Charles Percy of Illinois, Representative John Ashbrook of Ohio, and Governor Spiro Agnew of Maryland. Governor George Wallace of Alabama will challenge President Kennedy for the Democratic nomination.

October 25: Despite US opposition, the UN admits mainland China and expels Taiwan.

November 10: The Khmer Rouge begins an offensive against the Cambodian government.

November 20: A march by women’s rights groups on Washington demands an end to abortion laws.

November 28: The IRA launches rocket attacks on targets in Northern Ireland.

December 3: India and Pakistan go to war in Bangladesh.

December 10: President Kennedy meets with “The Gang of Four” to begin working on universal health care legislation. The group is Kennedy, Senator Ted Kennedy, Senator George McGovern, Representative Carl Perkins, and Senator Harrison Williams.

December 16: The Pakistani military in Bangladesh surrenders after slaughtering Bangladeshi intellectuals.

December 24: President Kennedy announces that he will run for reelection.

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

Awesome, I forgot about what the reveal about the Pentagon Papers might have on Bobby's Presidency, since he was directly involved with alot of Jack's decision's on Vietnam back when he served as Attorney General. It looks like we will have a fairly crowded GOP Field, with all candidates probably running on..."It's the economy stupid!" campaign theme. Can't wait to see what goes down in '72 and if Bobby can get UHC passed...Keep it comming(btw, do you plan on taking this up to the Present day?)

Yeah the Pentagon Papers are not very good at all for President Kennedy. There are essentially four major wings in the Democratic Party: Southerners, who are quite openly opposed to Kennedy, the liberal wing, which is essentially Kennedy's wing, the bosses, who like him but don't love him, and the "new left", which is a little bit different in this TL. Essentially they are libertarians like Mike Gravel, not in the Ron Paul sense. They are opposed to both the war in Vietnam and the ongoing military industrial complex. On the economy and domestic policy they are essentially in line with Kennedy but see him as more of a monarch than a president. They range from being close allies to Kennedy (McGovern) to being staunch opponents (McCarthy) or somewhere in between (Gravel). As far as continuing it, I think you know very well how i'm quite noncommittal about all of this, but I hope to.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:43:06 PM »

January 24: Ronald Reagan wins the Iowa caucuses. Governor Rockefeller of New York chooses not to run, and instead invests in his resources in New Hampshire.

January 25: Conservative Senator Barry Goldwater criticizes President Kennedy for supporting India against Pakistan. He calls India “a closet ally of the Soviet Union”.

January 30: Pakistan leaves the Commonwealth, which in turn recognizes Bangladesh.

January 30: In an event immortalized as Bloody Sunday, 13 peaceful protestors are shot by British Paratroopers in Derry, Northern Ireland.

February 1: The first calculator goes on the market.

February 2: Violent reprisals against the British occur in both Northern Ireland and the Republic.

February 18: The California Supreme Court declares the death penalty cruel and unusual. Conservatives including Governor Ronald Reagan criticize the decision, but many liberals including Vice-President Yarborough and Senate Majority Whip Ted Kennedy praise it.

February 22: Vice-President Ralph Yarborough asks President Kennedy if he can travel to China. The President flatly declines.

February 22: The IRA steps up it’s bombing campaign.

March 4: Libya and the Soviet Union sign an alliance.

March 7: Nelson Rockefeller narrowly defeats Ronald Reagan in the New Hampshire primaries. Reagan’s support among conservatives was critical in his surprisingly strong performance; while Rockefeller’s well-oiled campaign was the deciding factor in his victory.

March 14: Reagan upsets Rockefeller in Florida, drawing on the strength of his “Conservative Coalition”. George Wallace defeats President Kennedy here on the Democratic side.

March 20: Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev states that “China is no better an ally to the Soviet Union than America.”

March 21: Reagan defeats Senator Charles Percy in the Illinois primary. He is now seen as the frontrunner. Rockefeller’s decision not to run in Iowa is seen as the principal reason.

March 24: Great Britain takes over Northern Ireland’s government.
April 4: Reagan wins once again in Wisconsin. At this point the field is narrowed to Reagan and Rockefeller.

April 10: The US and the Soviets (among other nations) agree on a ban on biological warfare.

April 21: Secretary of State Dean Rusk arrives in Moscow for a round of discussions with the Soviets.

April 25: Rockefeller wins the Massachusetts primary but looses to Reagan in Pennsylvania.

April 27: A Hutu rebellion erupts in Burundi.

April 30: The Tutsi counterattack leads to the deaths of over 100,000 Hutus.

May 2: Rockefeller wins the Washington D.C. Primaries, but looses Ohio and Indiana to Reagan.

May 3: Rockefeller addresses his campaign team stating, “This race is not over. If we can win the big states we can take this thing to Miami and win it there!” Many in his team believe that he is delusional.

May 4: Reagan wins big in Tennessee, as does George Wallace for the Democrats.

May 6: Reagan and Wallace carry North Carolina.

May 9: Reagan wins Nebraska and West Virginia.

May 16: Reagan wins both Maryland and Michigan by narrow margins. Rockefeller drops out that evening and endorses Reagan. In later years, pundits will say that Rockefeller’s support for many of Kennedy’s policies led to his defeat. George Will: “You can’t run against the incumbent by saying “I like but I’ll do it better.” Reagan pounded him on that. Now they were both good Republicans, but Rocky was simply a moderate who saw eye-to-eye with Kennedy. Reagan was the polar opposite and made sure everyone knew it.”

May 19: The Red Army Faction explodes three bombs in Hamburg, Germany.

May 24: Dean Rusk leaves negotiations with the Soviets, writing that “we are on good terms. We are still in a place of tension, but the odds of war are slim to none at this point.”

May 26: President Kennedy and Brezhnev sign the Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty (SALT). Reagan states “this is the biggest move to weaken America’s national security since the beginning of the Cold War.”
May 30: The “Angry Brigade” goes on trial in Britain for property damages relating to 30 small bombings.

June 1: Saddam Hussein oversees the nationalization of the oil industry.

June 2: A shootout between the Red Army Faction and the Police ends in the arrest of Faction members.

June 15: Red Army Faction leadership is arrested in West Germany.

June 17: Okinawa is returned to Japan.

July 10: President Kennedy is renominated by the Democratic Party for the Presidency of the United States. Kennedy delivers a speech in which he announces his plan for universal health care stating “Now is the time that we recognize the harsh reality. Hundreds of thousands of Americans are without health care. This is simply unacceptable. And I plan on doing something about it.”

July 21: IRA bombs rip through Belfast, killing nine and injuring over 100.

July 25: President Kennedy states “The British government must recognize that it can no longer continue their dominion over Northern Ireland. It is simply no longer feasible.”

August 4: Idi Amin expels Uganda’s Indian minority to Britain.

August 5: A poll shows that 60% of the American public opposes clemency for draft dodgers. Governor Reagan opposes clemency while President Kennedy remains undecided.

August 23: Ronald Reagan is nominated President of the United States by the Republican Party. Reagan selects Illinois Senator Charles Percy to balance the ticket ideologically and regionally.

September 5-6: Palestinian terrorists capture the Israeli Olympic team in West Germany. The ensuing standoff leaves all of the terrorists and most of the Israeli team dead.

November 7: After a long campaign season, President Kennedy wins reelection over Governor Reagan. President Kennedy’s popularity is not sky-high, but he effectively able to brand Reagan as “simply too reactionary for America.” Another major factor is that Kennedy’s extensive war chest remained un-tapped until the general election, when he launched a massive ad blitz. On the other hand, Reagan failed to effectively label Kennedy as too liberal, and had little money after the long primary campaign.

Kennedy/Yarborough (D) 54% of the PV, 320 EVs
Reagan/Percy (R) 46% of the PV, 218 EVs

1972 Senate Elections
Entering: 52 D, 47 R, 1 I
Democratic Gains
-Colorado: Floyd Haskell
-Delaware: Joe Biden
-Iowa: Dick Clark
-Kentucky: Walter “Dee” Huddleston
-Maine: William Hathaway
-South Dakota: James Abourezk
Republican Gains
-New Mexico: Peter Domenici
-North Carolina: Jesse Helms
Following: 56 D, 43 R, 1 I

1972 House Elections
Entering: 237 D, 198 R
Following: 243 D, 192 R

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2010, 03:31:33 PM by hcallega »

I'm shifting back to the old format since the day-by-day format is a lot less fun to write.
The Second term of President Robert F. Kennedy

President Robert Kennedy began his second term with a "mandate of continued progress, action, and purpose." In his inaugural address, the President made clear that he would continue his liberal domestic agenda, while also working for a "world that will be at greater peace than it has ever been since the beginning of our showdown with the Soviets." President Kennedy had to deal with only one major cabinet shift, as Secretary of State Dean Rusk stepped down due to "a greater need to spend time with my family." He was replaced by former Missouri Senator Stu Symington. Symington was no Kennedy ally, but was seen as a logical choice for the position. He was easily confirmed.

The first goal of the Kennedy administration was to pass the President's health care reform package. The plan was designed principally by Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts, but received contributions from Rep. Carl Perkins of Kentucky and Senator Harrison Williams of New Jersey. The plan outlined a substantial shift in the way that the health insurance industry would run in America. Essentially, the plan was in three parts:
  • Reform: Banning the use of preexisting conditions as a means to deny coverage and removing the anti-trust exemption for insurance companies.
  • Coverage: The creation of a public option known as "Americare" that would be available to all Americans in the lower class. It would also be available to others with outstanding circumstances. Also, all employers over a certain size would be required to provide coverage to their employees. 
  • Relief: A tax-cut for all small businesses that provide health insurance to their employees. Also, greater investment in better technology and a stream-lined approach to medicine by making patient information more assessable.

The plan was quickly adopted by the House and Senate Education and Labor committees, but took far longer to proceed in the House Commerce committee, as well as the Senate Finance committee. While it would pass in the House, the Senate finance committee chose to go in a different direction. Chairman Russell Long was worried that the President's bill would hurt Louisiana's oil companies, and therefore wrote a different bill focusing on reform. This bill included all of the "reform" and "relief" aspects of the President's bill, but removed the employer mandate and public option. This bill would pass the finance committee but would not be given a vote by Majority Leader Mike Mansfield who was committed to pass the President's bill. The House would pass the bill in April with a vote of 222 in favor, and 205 opposed.

In May, the bill received it's best news yet. Republican Minority Leader Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania announced that he "will not block this bill with an attempted filibuster. This legislation does not do what many on the fringe of this party are saying it will. I will not lead an obstruction and mutilation of parliamentary procedure." However a block of conservative senators would line up against the legislation, waging a filibuster against it's passage. But without the support of the Republican leadership, the cloture vote went 75-25 against those opposed. The final senate vote would be 58-42 in favor, with the bill being signed by the President just before the Fourth of July recess.

The next major crisis for President Kennedy was the oil crisis of October. This crisis was brought on by US support for the Israeli government against the neighboring Arab powers. OPEC raised prices by a massive amount, therefore leading to gas shortages in the US. Kennedy was quick to stand behind Israel, but also attacked American oil companies for "taking advantage of this crisis to raise prices on the American people." The crisis does not end until March of 1974. A recession was also brought on by the gas crisis and the stock market crash of 1973-1974, leading to a peak of 8.8% unemployment in 1975. Inflation was also high in this time due to large government spending. However President Kennedy would pass a stimulus package to help relieve the recession.

The only two other major pieces of domestic legislation passed by President Kennedy in his second term was a welfare reform bill and an environmental protection bill. The welfare reform bill was crafted by Kennedy in coalition with many Republicans and Southern Democrats, including a young Jack Kemp who Kennedy called "one of very few Republicans who actually gives a damn about the poor in this country." The bill would have a progressive scale of benefits based on continued employment. It would also ease those who were moving up the ladder off of government based assistance such as food-stamps. The bill would pass with large support, though many liberals including the President's own brother balked at the bill. The environmental legislation (The Udall Bill) was also very important, as it involved setting up a timeline of increasing caps on emissions, along with a carbon emissions tax. The bill received little support, but through negotiation a strong environmental protection law creating a "cap-and-trade" system was passed.

In foreign policy, Kennedy continued many of the steps of his first term. He continued to work with the Soviet Union to limit arms production and deployment, and also stood in support of Israel. Overall Kennedy had a solid presidential term, but with inflation high as he left office and the deficit even higher, many wondered what his legacy would be.

1974 Midterm Elections
Senate Elections
Entering Elections: 56 D, 43 R, 1 I
Democratic Gains
-Colorado: Gary Hart
-Kentucky: Wendell Ford
Republican Gains
-Indiana: Richard Lugar
-Nevada: Paul Laxalt
Following Elections: 56 D, 43 R, 1 I

House Elections
Entering Elections: 243 D, 192 R
Following Elections: 231 D, 204 R

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 03:30:52 PM »

One (minor) quibble: the president has no role in signing or ratifying a constitutional amendment.

My bad.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »

1976 Democratic Primaries

The race to decide who would be Robert Kennedy's successor was one of the most competitive in Democratic Party history. The field was packed with candidate's looking to build off of Kennedy's popularity and rally his "black-and-blue" coalition of minorities and the white working class. The prospective frontrunner's for the race were Vice-President Ralph Yarborough, Senator Hubert Humphrey, and Senator Ted Kennedy (the Presidents brother). However, due to old age and illness, Humphrey decided against a second White House run, while Kennedy announced that he would not run and pursue the position of Majority Leader instead. This in turn opened up the field substantially. The following is a list of candidates from left-to-right. The number next to them is their purported ranking in the polls before the Iowa Caucuses:

-Representative Shirley Chisholm of New York (12)
-Senator George McGovern of South Dakota (5)
-Vice-President Ralph Yarborough of Texas (1)
-Senator Fred Harris of Oklahoma (10)
-Former Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota (Cool
-Former Ambassador Sargent Shriver of Maryland (9)
-Senator Frank Church of Idaho (6)
-Senator Ed Muskie of Maine (2)
-Senator Scoop Jackson of Washington (3)
-Former Governor Terry Sanford of North Carolina (11)
-Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia (Favorite Son)
-Former Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia (Favorite Son)
-Governor George Wallace of Alabama (7)
-Secretary John Connally of Texas (4)

The massive field was divided over what strategy to take to win the nomination. Several of the frontrunners (Jackson, Connally, Wallace, McGovern) chose to avoid the early primaries in favor of picking their contests strategically. Those who weren't frontrunners were forced into competition, or else they chose only to run in their homestates (Carter, Byrd). The only frontrunners to chose to run in all the primaries were Ed Muskie and Ralph Yarborough. Muskie chose out of a belief that he was the most likely to get muscled out by the swath of other liberal candidates. Yarborough, on the other hand, realized that with Connally in the race not a single delegation was pledged to support him going into the primaries. He could not fall back on the support of Texas, and therefore needed to compete. He also was short on funds and organization outside of what he inherited from Kennedy, which wasn't much. Frank Manciewicz and Pierre Salinger signed on to support McGovern (their closer ally) while O'Donnell, Lawrence O'Brien, and Ted Sorensen offered their support to Shriver. It was only Arthur Schelesenger Jr. who signed on to help their idealist compatriot.

In the opening contest of Iowa, Yarborough would defeat Muskie by a sound margin. This victory was a combination of the liberal Iowa caucus-goers and Yarborough's local roots. However in New Hampshire Muskie would come out victorious over Yarborough and McGovern. In Massachusetts Scoop Jackson would nudge Muskie and McGovern, while Yarborough faired poorly. McGovern would score a win in Vermont, making this truly anyones race. In Florida, Yarborough would regain his frontrunner status as he out dueled Wallace and Connally. He would parlay that into a victory in Illinois, which was followed by the race thinning to simply Yarborough, McGovern, Connally, Wallace, and the favorite sons. However for the rest of the race it would be Yarborough central, as he won most of the contests. His only real challenge would be California Governor Jerry Brown who entered the race on a "Stop Ralph!" platform. He would win several western states, but he was too late to stop Yarborough. Ralph would go on to choose Boston Mayor Kevin White as his VEEP in a highly controversial and unpopular decision. It was later revealed that Senator Ted Kennedy turned down Yarborough's offer, and was advised against accepting by his brother. President Kennedy would also speak out against choosing White, but Yarborough made it clear that he was in charge. According to several sources, Yarborough stated "Dag un it! It want someone with some controversy! Make the Republicans say they hate negros and busing!"

Red=Yarborough
Pink=Brown
Light Blue=Favorite Son (Byrd=West Virginia, Carter=Georgia)
Dark Blue=Muskie
Light Green=McGovern
Dark Green=Jackson

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2010, 09:54:31 PM by hcallega »

1976 Republican Primaries

Many pundits expected that the GOP nomination to once again be a showdown between Rockefeller and Reagan. However, Reagan unexpectedly announced that he would not seek the nomination. This shocked many Republicans and seemed to give an open shot at the nomination for Rockefeller. However he was not alone in the field:
  • Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York
  • Senator Bob Dole of Kansas
  • Senator Jesse Helms of North Carolina
  • Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona
  • Senator Charles Mathias of Maryland
  • Attorney General Edward Brooke of Massachusetts

The crowded conservative field made any possibility of an easy ride to the nomination impossible. The opening round in Iowa was carried by Dole, as was expected. In New Hampshire Rockefeller would run to an impressive win against Brooke. In Massachusetts Brooke would win a shockingly narrow race against Rocky. Vermont would also go to Rocky. In Florida Rockefeller would find his principal Southern foe, Jesse Helms. Helms would draw controversy when he stated before the primaries "I'm gonna say something now a lot of people are going to have a problem with: I will never endorse, vote for, or support Nelly Rockefeller!" Helms would go on to win the primary narrowly, due in large part to increased turnout in primarily Democratic counties in the panhandle. While Rocky would cruise to the nomination, Helms would sweep the south, and make clear that the regional divisions within the Democratic Party were nothing compared to the Republicans. At the convention, Helms would oppose Rockefeller strongly, but did not have the support to block his nomination. However they were able to move the platform to the right on key issues such as abortion and national defense, past where Rockefeller personally stood. Rocky would nominate a conservative as VEEP, Senator John Tower of Texas as a cave in to those on the right.

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »

I have a feelingt that this '76 race will be a snoozer with Vice President Yarborough being 73 and Governor Rockefeller being 68, it won't particulary excite the baby boomers on either party. Senator Roman Hruska of Nebraska would be way to old to balance the ticket him only being 72 at the time. Y not go with Congressman Bob Mathias of California to balance the ticket, he's 45, a former Olympic Athlete and been in Congress in 1966(Let say he beats Krebs in 1974 ITTL due to the 6 year rule). Or if you wan't a more stringent Western/Southern Conservative theres Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada, Senator Jake Garn(44) of Utah, Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, Senator John Tower of Texas, Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr. of California, and former Governr Claude Kirk of Florida. I think Mathias, Garn, or Barry Jr. would all be smart choices.

Thanks for the help. Edited
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »

1976 Presidential Election and Congressional Elections

The race to succeed President Kennedy was less a showdown of ideologies and more a conflict of personalities. Governor Rockefeller was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and had grown up with a strong belief in helping others. VP Yarborough grew up in a middle class Texas family with little hope of ever becoming an influential politician. This clash was between a folksy populist and an intellectual progressive. It was clear that for many in the country they would not have a favorite candidate.  The third party ticket of Lester Maddox and Jesse Helms with the "Unity Party" drew support from some conservatives, but never had the same following as George Wallace had in 1968.

The fall campaign was a relatively boring one. Rockefeller played his hand close to his chest, primarily running on the belief the government needed to "trim spending, whip inflation, and balance the budget." On foreign policy he remained supportive of President Kennedy's policies, but advocated "less involvement in the third world and a greater focus on the real enemy." On social issues, he was quite liberal, opposing the Hyde-Oberstar-Bauman Ammednment and supporting the Equal Rights Ammednment. However, he would state "The precedent that congress is setting is not a good one. We need to put this sort of power in the hands of the states and the courts, not the House and Senate."

Yarborough's campaign was geared entirely differently than Rockefellers. The Vice-President was quick to retort "just call me Ralph" when referred to by his title and last name. He would stroll onto the stage after a performance by the Charlie Daniels Band (touring with him for the whole campaign). He would then deliver a folksy and down to Earth speech focusing on whatever was relevant to the local crowd. He tended to focus on economic hardships such as coal mining, right to work laws, and pro-business policies. In African-American communities he was quite comfortable and relied on others to point out that he was the only southern senator to support civil rights legislation.

A week before the election, with the race a dead heat, two debates were held between the candidates. The first debate focused on domestic issues. Here Rocky shined, separating himself from the President and Yarborough while also supporting the general feeling behind the domestic legislation. He was helped by Yarborough stumbling over a particularly difficult question:

Moderator: Mr. Vice-President, in 1973 you were asked what you would do to bring down inflation. While you stated that you agreed with President Kennedy's policies, you also hinted that you supported caps on income and wealth. Do you supporting capping income and wealth?

Yarborough: Well I think it's important that we make clear what I was reffering too. I was asked what I would do to bring down inflation, and I responded that while I was 100% behind the Presidents policies I did recognize that income and wealth caps would bring down inflation.

Moderator: But do you support them?

Yarborough: Well.....It's important to remember that was three years ago when I said that. Today I think that you'd have to do a lot of studies and polls before one could ever implement that.

Yarborough's portrayal as a extremist was multiplied by this exchange, and while his polls numbers were not terribly damaged, it did help Rockefeller's image as a "calm force in radical times." The second debate would help Ralph, as he appeared far more knowledgeable than Rocky. He made clear his support of the current policies that "have brought far reaching peace to this globe. The Republican party has consistently opposed these policies, and it's hard to imagine Mr. Rockefeller rebuking his colleagues in congress." This debate helped Yarborough regain some momentum and pull even in the race.

In the Vice-Presidential debate the sparks truly began to fly as the Mayor of Boston and the Senator from Texas threw down. Tower attacked White's support of busing, while White fired back by calling Tower a "good ole' reactionary." This comment hurt Yarborough's campaign, and many questioned why he would put White on the ticket. Going into election night, Rockefeller held a two-point lead in the polls, and many recognized how close an election this would be.

Rockefeller/Tower (R) 334, 50% of the PV
Yarborough/White (D) 204, 44% of the PV
Maddox/Helms (U) 6% of the PV

Senate Elections
Entering Elections
56 D, 43 R, 1 I
Democratic Gains
-Arizona: Mo Udall
-Maryland: Paul Sarbanes
-Nebraska: Edward Zorinsky
-Tennessee: Jim Sasser
Republican Gains
-California: S.I. Hayakawa
-Hawaii: Spark Matsunaga
-Michigan: Donald Riegle
-New Mexico: Harrison Schmitt
-Rhode Island: John Chafee
-Utah: Orrin Hatch
-Wyoming: Malcolm Wallop
Following Elections
53 D, 46 R, 1 I

1976 House Elections
Entering Elections: 231 D, 204 R
Following Elections: 218 D, 217 R
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 10:08:36 AM »

It appears Rockefeller overperformed the polls. It also looks like Tower failed to deliver Texas, but then again Yarborough is from there. Hopefully Rockefeller doesn't cut off aid to the Iranian regime like Carter did. BTW, I think it would be a good idea to have Rockefeller die on a different date and possibly in a different year.

Pretty much everything I was going to say lol...Keep it comming HC

Yeah the polls undervalued Maddox's production in the south, which therefore hurt Yarborough more than Rocky. Also the closest states (Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota, Pennsylvania) all broke for Rockefeller by very narrow margins. I think that you all will enjoy the Rockefeller White House lol
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:26:55 AM »

The First Term of President Nelson Rockefeller

President Rockefeller began his tenure in the White House in a fairly good position. While inflation and the debt were high, little else was a pressing concern. The economy was in good shape, the world was in a general state of peace, and poverty was low. For the new President the most difficult question was what he would go about doing first.

The biggest focus for President Rockefeller was on tackling inflation. In his innagural address he would state that "While the needs of this nation are not as great as in the past, we mustn't rest and allow them to return." Rockefeller initiated a plan known as Whip Inflation Now (WIN). This plan called for cuts in spending across the board, along with increases in taxes along with the return of the 1973 wage and price controls. This plan was initially quite unpopular with members of both parties, as many Democrats resented the budget cuts and many Republicans opposed the tax increases and wage and price controls. Rockefeller was forced to accept a watered down plan that failed to accomplish a great deal of what he was looking for.

In foreign policy, Rocky was forced to deal with much larger concerns. Withdrawing support for regimes deemed "inhumane", Rockefeller would soon find that things would go from bad to worse in several instances. In Iran, the Shah's regime would topple under opposition from both the right and the left. A radical Islamist regime would take it's place, and the Iranian hostage crisis would ensue. Rockefeller would fail to negotiate a release of the hostages in his first term, and this issue would haunt him in the 1980 election. Also, Rockefeller would be viewed as lackluster in his response to the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan. While offering support to the Russian's opponents, he would fail to deliver much aid to the Mujahadeen.

In domestic affairs, Rockefeller would support many of President Kennedy's programs such as Americare. He would even go a step further, signing into law Senator Russell Long's catastrophic insurance bill that would provide single-payer insurance for catastrophic conditions. He would also sign into law a bill establishing individual mandates to have some form of health insurance. But when it came to affairs, Rocky stood out. The media began to pick up wind of the President's marital indescrecions early on in his term in the Oval Office. While the previous generation of journalists had remained intentionally ignorant of JFK and LBJs philandering, this new group was raised on the investigative nature of Vietnam and the open lawmaking style of RFK. In 1979 reports would become public that the President had had several affairs inside the confines of the White House. These affairs would further drop his popularity among conservatives, with Bill Buckley deeming him "Public Enemy #1 for the conservative movement in America." Going into the 1980 elections, with inflation high, the economy stagnant, foreign policy going poorly, and his own domestic problems, an approval rating of 36% was the best that he could expect.

1978 Midterm Elections
Entering Elections: 54 D, 45 R, 1 I
Democratic Gains
-Massachusetts: Paul Tsongas
-Michigan: Carl Levin
-Nebraska: Jim Exon
-New Jersey: Bill Bradley
-Oklahoma: David Boren
-Texas: Lloyd Bentsen* (appointed by Governor Briscoe in 1977)
-Virginia: Andrew Miller
Republican Gains
-Colorado: William Armstrong
-Maine: William Cohen
-Minnesota: David Durenberger
-Mississippi: Thad Cochran
-South Dakota: Larry Pressler
Following Elections:
55 D, 44 R, 1 I

House Elections
Entering Elections: 218 D, 217 R
Following Elections: 228 D, 207 R
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »

1980 Republican Nomination

Despite the best wishes of his advisors and the Republican Party leadership, President Nelson Rockefeller announced that he would run for a second term for President of the United States: "Many of my closest advisors, friends, and family have suggested that I not run for a second term.  While I deeply respect their advice, I will not back down from a job that needs to be finished. Therefore, tonight I am announcing that I will pursue the Republican Party's nomination for the Presidency of the United States."

This move surprised many, including Vice-President Tower who had been planning on making a run for the nomination himself. Tower's Chief-of-Staff George Bush would later quote his boss as saying "The President's a damn idiot. He's screwing us both over." However Tower would remain loyal to the Commander-in-Chief and stay on the ticket. This was not the case with former California Governor Ronald Reagan. Reagan had planned on staying out of the race is Tower was to run. But with the news that Rocky was in and Tower was out, Reagan felt that it was his "duty to this great nation" to run for the nomination.

The rematch of Rocky vs. Reagan would not feature any other major candidates. Illinois Representative John Anderson would throw his hat into the ring, but would garner little support. Essentially Rocky portrayed himself as a martyr for a cause who had been smashed by both sides. He stated that "my campaign is not that of a Republican. It is that of an American." However many saw Rockefeller as looking for pity points. William Buckley would put Rockefeller on the cover of the National Review, but with the caption "The Lovable Loser?"

Reagan's campaign on the other hand was far more upbeat and positive. He combined his "Conservative Coalition" with a slew of other groups including the growing evangelical movement. Reagan smartly attempted to distance himself from staunch conservatives such as former Senator Barry Goldwater and Representative Phil Crane. Instead, Reagan ran on universal themes such as patriotism, strong foreign policy, and cutting inflation without raising taxes on manipulating the markets. Reagan did harken back to small government values, such as states rights, tax cuts, and increased military spending, but he did not emphasis these as much. He also pounded Rockefeller on practically every issue, and was quite effective.

In the actual primaries themselves, Reagan would do quite well. Outside of the northeast, Reagan would dominate the landscape, sweeping away Rocky by "Super Tuesday". However the incumbent would not end his campaign, and fought until the bitter end. At the convention he would offer a rather lackluster conciliatory speech, but would offer his endorsement to Reagan. Ronny would go on to choose Governor "Big Jim" Thompson of Illinois as his Vice-Presidential nominee.

1980 Democratic Nomination

The major news for the Democratic contest in 1980 was that Senate Majority Leader Ted Kennedy would not seek the nomination, instead once again deciding to continue his work on Capitol Hill. This opened up the field for many candidates, though far fewer than in 1976. The following is a list of the candidates who ran for the Nomination:
-Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota
-Senator Mo Udall of Arizona
-Senator George McGovern of South Dakota
-Senator Alan Cranston of California
-Senator Dale Bumpers of Arkansas

The entirely Senatorial field was solidly liberal, with only one moderate (Bumpers) running. Most polls showed Mondale and Udall in a dead heat, with labor and traditionally Democratic groups rallying behind Mondale, while young voters, minorities, and environmentalists supported Udall. However the biggest event in the race prior to the Iowa Caucuses was former President Robert Kennedy's endorsement of Senator George McGovern: "I've known Senator McGovern for many years. We were good colleagues in the Senate, and became even closer friends when I moved down the street. While all the candidates in this race are qualified and good men, I must throw my support behind the man who has helped me immeasurably over the past 15 years." Kennedy's endorsement apparently greatly upset Udall who was a close Kennedy ally as well. However the bigger impact was felt in the polls, as McGovern jumped into a three-way dead heat. But Udall's support would continue to slide down as on the eve of the Iowa caucuses McGovern would be in a national tie with Mondale with Udall trailing by as many as 8 points.

The caucuses would deliver a stirring victory to McGovern, as he would defeat Mondale by 9 points. In New Hampshire, McGovern would narrowly fall to Mondale, but the results would leave Udall and Cranston out in the snow. Both would withdraw and endorse Mondale shortly afterwards. The rest of the race would be a showdown between McGovern and Mondale, with the Prairie Populist narrowly prevailing. Many would attribute McGovern's victory to the support of Kennedy and his strong support from the African-American community. Mondale was considered a stiff public speaker and a weak campaigner, though he had more money and endorsements. McGovern was energizing and fully utilized Kennedy on the trail. In the end, many would call 1980 "Bobby's last rodeo." At the convention, McGovern would select Bumpers as his VP nominee to balance the ticket geographically and ideologically.

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

I feel like now is a good time to list the Congressional Leadership so far in the TL. I will update this list every decade or so, and since the 1970s just came to a close I believe it is worthwhile.
Majority in bold
Democratic Senate Leader
Mike Mansfield (MT) 1961-1977
Ted Kennedy (MA) 1977-Present
Democratic Assistant Leader
Ted Kennedy (MA) 1969-1977
Alan Cranston (CA) 1977-Present
Democratic Conference Chair

Democratic Conference Secretary
Robert Byrd (WV) 1967-1977
Daniel Inouye (HI) 1977-Present
Democratic Policy Committee Chairman

Republican Senate Leader
Everett Dirksen (IL) 1959-September 1969
Hugh Scott (PA) September 1969-1977
Robert Griffin (MI) 1977-1979
Ted Stevens (AK) 1979-Present
Republican Assistant Senate Leader
Hugh Scott (PA) 1969
Robert Griffin (MI) 1969-1977
Ted Stevens (AK) 1977-1979
Howard Baker (TN) 1979-Present
Republican Conference Chairman
Margaret Chase Smith (ME) 1967-1972
Norris Cotton (NH) 1973-1974
Carl Curtis (NE) 1975-1978
Bob Packwood (OR) 1978-1980
Republican Conference Vice-Chair
Milton Young (ND) 1956-1971
Norris Cotton (NH) 1971-1972
Wallace Bennett (UT) 1973-1974
Robert Stafford (VT) 1976
Clifford Hansen (WY) 1977-1978
Jake Garn (UT) 1979-Present
Republican Policy Committee Chair
Gordon Allot (CO) 1969-1972
John Tower (TX) 1972-1977
Howard Baker (TN) 1977-1979
Bob Dole (KS) 1979-Present

House coming soon!

hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »

Hopefully Reagan will win, but i am afraid by 2010 Acid will be Legal.

Is that a bad thing
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

^Hilarious Coincidence I suppose. 
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 11:06:46 AM »

1980 Presidential Election

The showdown between Reagan and McGovern pitted left against right, liberal against conservative. Reagan entered the general election ripe with funds and the energized conservative base. However McGovern was drained after a tough showdown with Mondale. Outside of the endorsement of Kennedy he was lacking substantial establishment support, especially from labor which was angered by his opposition for a repeal of the Taft-Hartley Ammednment (labor's biggest issue). However McGovern had a committed campaign team of young liberals, and had inherited much of Kennedy's institutional support. Indeed he had the same campaign manager as Kennedy did in 1968 (Frank Manciewicz). 

Through September and most of October, McGovern trailed Reagan by 4-6%. He was very popular among liberals and minorities, but was struggling with blue collar whites. Reagan, on the other hand, was gearing his campaign towards the white working class and saw them as his ticket to the White House. In the book "Reagan and Me", Jim Baker would state "It was obvious to the Governor before anyone else. The Republican Party couldn't win without Frank Kelly. At least that was what the Governor called him. Frank Kelly worked 9-5 at a factory, lived in the suburbs, was married and had a few kids. He went to church on Sundays, watched football, and ocassionally went hunting. He was a member of a union, wanted his kids to be safe, and looked forward to a sound retirement. I don't know why the Governor ever thought we could win Frank Kelly over, but by God we did."

For McGovern to win the race, he would have to do well in the series of debates. The focus of these debates was principally on inflation, the Iran Hostage Crisis, and the invasion of Afghanistan. McGovern stated that he supported wage and price controls to bring inflation under control, while Reagan emphasized his support for monetary policy. On the hostage crisis Reagan came out in favor of strong force if necessary, while McGovern dodged the issue. On Afghanistan, Reagan was strongly supportive of the Muhjahadeen while McGovern stated that "we need to support our allies, but we cannot afford to throw America into the cross-hairs over one nation in southwest Asia." While McGovern's performance in the debates was viewed as weak, polls showed little movement, and many suspected that Reagan's push to the right had done little to bring in Democrats and Independents. The final results of the election would show this.

Reagan/Thompson (R) 52% of the PV  296 EVs
McGovern/Bumpers (D) 48% of the PV  242 EVs

The final results showed that while Americans were frustrated with the inflation crisis and the handling of foreign policy under Rockefeller, they saw Reagan as a greater shift than McGovern. Also, McGovern's lack of money hurt him in the Rust Belt, where he barely won Pennsylvania and Michigan while narrowly loosing Illinois and Ohio.

1980 Congressional Elections
Entering Elections: 55 D, 44 R, 1 I
Democratic Gains
-Arizona: Bill Schulz
-New York: Elizabeth Holtzman
-Pennsylvania: Pete Flaherty
Republican Gains
-Alaska: Frank Murkowski
-Iowa: Chuck Grassley
-New Hampshire: Warren Rudman
-South Dakota: James Abdnor
-Washington: Slade Gorton