Rubio is not eligible to be VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:05:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Rubio is not eligible to be VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rubio is not eligible to be VP  (Read 508 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2024, 07:21:34 PM »

So why is he being considered?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 07:23:15 PM »

That requirement is extremely easy to circumvent. Trump only has to change his residency to New Jersey or New York.

I don't think he'll pick Rubio anyway though.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 07:28:44 PM »

That requirement is extremely easy to circumvent. Trump only has to change his residency to New Jersey or New York.

I don't think Rubio would be a good choice. What would he bring to the ticket? I suspect Trump would pick someone more MAGA.
I think Rubio could be an opportunist who is more interested in power than in supporting all of Trump's agenda.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 07:36:09 PM »

I don't think Rubio would be a good choice. What would he bring to the ticket? I suspect Trump would pick someone more MAGA.
I think Rubio could be an opportunist who is more interested in power than in supporting all of Trump's agenda.

This didn't stop him from picking Pence.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 08:06:48 PM »

Rubio sucks.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 08:11:12 PM »

It would reach out to the Haley supporters and send a message that he is not only pandering to the Tucker wing of the party.

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 08:26:00 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2024, 08:29:45 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

This is not an issue.

First of all, Rubio is eligible to be VP even if he and Trump both remain residents of Florida.  The relevant portion of the Constitution in Article II says:

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves.

(This was superseded by the 12th Amendment, but it keeps the same requirement.)

This only means that if Trump/Rubio win Florida, which would be likely, the Florida electors could not vote for both of them.  Florida has 30 electoral votes.  So if:

Trump wins with at least 300 EV: the 30 Florida electors just vote a blank ballot for VP, and Rubio still has enough EV to be elected.

Trump wins with 285-299 EV: 15 Florida electors cast a vote for Trump and a blank for VP, and the other 15 cast a blank for President and Rubio for VP.  Both still get at least 270 EV and are elected.

Trump wins with 270-284: the Florida electors cast a blank ballot for VP.  Trump is elected by the EC and the VP is chosen by the Senate, which almost certainly has a Republican majority in this scenario.  At worst the Senate will be 50-50 and the VP will remain vacant (Harris can't break the tie -- this isn't legislation) until Trump's inauguration, after which he nominates Rubio for VP, and even if the Democrats have flipped the House, it's difficult to envision them not confirming Rubio.

Trump loses (Biden has at least 270 EV): it doesn't matter what Florida's electors do.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 08:36:43 PM »

Cheney is not eligible to be VP
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 08:47:12 PM »

Which Cheney? Wink
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 09:59:23 PM »

Trump could just change his address to wherever he wants to avoid the technicality
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2024, 01:19:53 AM »

Depending on the outcome of his trial, Trump’s address could be Riker’s Island, NY.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2024, 02:00:15 AM »

He's gonna pick Burgum anyways
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2024, 02:00:59 PM »

Trump could just change his address to wherever he wants to avoid the technicality

Yeah, I don't get why this technicality is always brought up.  I would think the average poster here would know that there is way to get around it.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2024, 02:02:50 PM »

Someone on RRH said Rubio could change his address after the election because it’s just before the electors meet that he can’t be from Florida.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 02:03:57 PM »

Lil' Marco isn't going to be picked. The Biden campaign would immediately go on air with all the Rubio quotes from 2016 how he described Trump as a fraud and conman who should sell fake watches on Fifth Avenue.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2024, 02:11:43 PM »

Lil' Marco isn't going to be picked. The Biden campaign would immediately go on air with all the Rubio quotes from 2016 how he described Trump as a fraud and conman who should sell fake watches on Fifth Avenue.

Rubio would be the best possible pick for Trump. It would mean Trump is reaching out to Haley Voters(those who were actually Republicans) and reaching out to neocons in general rather than going all in on Paleocons .

Vance would be a terrible pick as that means Trump is gone full on in pandering to paleocons and the tucker types.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 02:13:06 PM »

Someone on RRH said Rubio could change his address after the election because it’s just before the electors meet that he can’t be from Florida.

He doesnt even need to do that btw. The Senate would be Safe R if the GOP happens to win the presidency, so the electors in FL could just vote for Trump and then the Senate would elect Rubio as the VP .
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024, 02:14:25 PM »

Rubio would be the best possible pick for Trump. It would mean Trump is reaching out to Haley Voters(those who were actually Republicans) and reaching out to neocons in general rather than going all in on Paleocons .

Vance would be a terrible pick as that means Trump is gone full on in pandering to paleocons and the tucker types.

I think Burgum would be the best and safest pick. He's inoffensive and comes off as a calm force, what could reassure some conservative swing voters. Rubio on the other hand just seems like a lightweight and the brand of neoconservatism is toxic as hell.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2024, 02:25:25 PM »

I think Burgum would be the best and safest pick. He's inoffensive and comes off as a calm force, what could reassure some conservative swing voters. Rubio on the other hand just seems like a lightweight and the brand of neoconservatism is toxic as hell.

Do you still think its extremely toxic given how it seems like Haley Republican Voters may be the ones who will decide the election. Maybe Haley's support had more to do with DeSantis self destructing and her being the only non Trump option than people liking her platform but wed have to see.

Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2024, 06:44:08 PM »

If I had to guess Rubio would change his residency to D.C. where he probably owns an apartment (Trump would never change his residency for a running mate). The constitution says a senator has to be a resident of the state when elected which means that it probably wouldn’t make him forfeit his seat.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 06:47:37 PM »

If I had to guess Rubio would change his residency to D.C. where he probably owns an apartment (Trump would never change his residency for a running mate). The constitution says a senator has to be a resident of the state when elected which means that it probably wouldn’t make him forfeit his seat.

That's more than likely what would happen if Rubio gets picked
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 06:50:54 PM »

Also isn't Rubio wealthy enough to just buy a house in Orange Beach Alabama and "technically" move there, which is literally a 5 minute walk away from the Florida border?
TheHegemonist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 06:59:39 PM »

Also isn't Rubio wealthy enough to just buy a house in Orange Beach Alabama and "technically" move there, which is literally a 5 minute walk away from the Florida border?

Technically yes but it would be a bit odd if one of Florida's senators didn't live in the state officially. Might put people off, even if they know he's still really living in Florida. So Rubio probably wouldn't go for that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2024, 07:02:31 PM »

Dick Cheney chose himself even though he was a Texas resident.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies