The Second Term of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:08:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 66967 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2010, 09:46:59 AM »
« edited: February 19, 2010, 12:58:06 AM by Dallasfan65 »

Although entering the general campaign with a narrow lead over his opponent, Dan Quayle had made frequent gaffes on the campaign trail, such as the "potatoe" incident. In the debate, he warned America not to "rock the boat" while it was on the path of prosperity, to which Clinton responded "You're going to rock the boat if you nominate a guy who can't spell potato." That was seen as a turning point in the election, and Quayle had no rebuttal other than "That was uncalled for, Justice." Clinton went on to win narrowly, in one of the closest elections of the century.

Associate Justice Bill Clinton/Governor Mario Cuomo, 272 EV, 50.2% PV
Senator Dan Quayle/Governor Pete Wilson, 266 EV, 49.3% PV

The First Term of Bill Clinton
Vice President: Mario Cuomo
Secretary of State: Lloyd Bentsen
Secretary of Defense: William Perry
Secretary of Treasury: Lawrence Summers
Attorney General: Al Gore

Next... the 1996 senate elections.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2010, 10:07:03 AM »

Senate
Republicans: 53
Democrats: 47

House:
Republicans: 240
Democrats: 190

Despite Clinton's election, the country was left with a moderate White House juxtaposed with an increasingly conservative Congress, the Senate elections being a straight tie and the Democrats gaining only five seats in the House of Representatives. Entering the Oval Office with 57% approval ratings, Clinton was immediately pitted in a vicious battle with Speaker Newt Gingrich. After weeks of deadlock, Clinton agreed to sign welfare reform, an initiative that had never made it to President Baker's desk. Other legislation passed was the Defense of Marriage Act, and the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy, which flew in the face of many members of his base.

Coming up... the 1998 midterm elections.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

Hopefully Clinton will win re-election in 2000. Maybe Cuomo 04!
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2010, 03:28:33 AM »

Funny that Clinton's term goes almost exactly as it did in real life albeit 4 years later.
Historico
United States

« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »

Awesome an Alternate Clinton Presidency, if he's reelected in 2000(Which I suspect he will be) that his heart issues may get the better of him ITTL and that Slick Willie may be the next President to befall the Twenty-Year Curse...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »

Awesome an Alternate Clinton Presidency, if he's reelected in 2000(Which I suspect he will be) that his heart issues may get the better of him ITTL and that Slick Willie may be the next President to befall the Twenty-Year Curse...

Are his heart problems really that bad? BTW, when was the last recession in this TL? I lost track.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »

Are his heart problems really that bad? BTW, when was the last recession in this TL? I lost track.
Last recession was in the late 70's early 80's, but the economy's was pretty "bad" until the late 80's (recession in the late 70's was much worse than OTL) so basically the damage had already "been done"

And yeah, Clinton's had a history with heart problems. I heard he went to the hospital a couple of days ago.

I will be posting an update tomorrow. Smiley
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »

I'm looking forward to it. BTW, I think your PV in 1996 is off, since 51.2%+49.3%=100.5%, which is impossible. You probably meant 50.2% for Clinton/Cuomo.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2010, 01:02:47 AM »

I'm looking forward to it. BTW, I think your PV in 1996 is off, since 51.2%+49.3%=100.5%, which is impossible. You probably meant 50.2% for Clinton/Cuomo.
Thanks man. My computer's calculator must've not been doing me justice when I did that. You've been pretty good at correcting my mathematical mistakes, and I appreciate it.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:57 AM »

Thanks man. My computer's calculator must've not been doing me justice when I did that. You've been pretty good at correcting my mathematical mistakes, and I appreciate it.

You're wlecome. Anytime. I'm glad I'm able to help in any way I can.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »

One more math mistake and I will nuke your house.

jk
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »

Senate
Democrats: 50
Republicans: 50

House:
Republicans: 230
Democrats: 200

The Democrats were able to make small gains in the 1998 elections, but not by a significant margin since the Republican party was relatively popular. On many issues, though registered as a Democrat many began to question what Clinton was governing as, with piece after piece of conservative legislation being signed with only token opposition.

Despite being widely popular and presiding over a prosperous economy, Clinton would receive an interesting challenge...

Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey.

Although initially regarded as a joke, Bradley was seen as having a "slight chance" when allegations were made that President Clinton was having an affair. President Clinton's approval numbers had a mild downturn, to 53%. Now seeing a weakness in his chances of re-election, a few Republicans began to declare aswell...

Senator Ross Perot would be having another go at the Presidency. Another Senator, Larry Craig, and Governor Lamar Alexander also formed exploratory committees.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2010, 11:20:11 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2010, 11:34:14 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Senator Larry Craig announced on July 8th, 1999, that he would be running for President of the United States.

Governor Judd Gregg announced on July 24th, 1999, that he would also seek nomination for President of the United States.

Governor Lamar Alexander announced on August 3rd, 1999, that he would run for President of the United States.

Allegations continued to fly that President Clinton was engaging in sexual misconduct with one Monica Lewinsky, but he maintained his innocence. The House Judiciary committee began to investigate on August 18th, 1999.

"Do you believe the President had an affair with Monica Lewinsky?"

Yes: 32%
No: 40%
Not Sure: 28%

Note: I will be editing the Larry Craig picture to a lower resolution, rest assured.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:29 AM »

I think Clinton would have waited until his second term in order to have the affair.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2010, 01:12:08 AM »

I think Clinton would have waited until his second term in order to have the affair.
Given his uhm... 'history' I found it rather plausible he was unable to keep it in his pants until 2001. Tongue

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Monica's whom never came forward.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2010, 06:26:27 PM by Dallasfan65 »

As if timed for the primary cycle, Kathleen Willey came forward amidst the investigations and alleged that President Clinton had sexually assaulted her, almost a month before the Iowa caucuses. Clinton never lost his lead, but his numbers took a substantial hit.

January 24th: Iowa Caucuses
Clinton: 52%
Bradley: 40%
Unpledged: 8%

January 24th: Iowa Caucuses
Craig: 33%
Alexander: 28%
Perot: 20%
Gregg: 19%

With support of the local Democratic establishment and an independent cross-over vote, Bradley managed to pull off a narrow upset in the New Hampshire primary.

February 1st: New Hampshire Primary
Bradley: 48%
Clinton: 40%
Unpledged: 12%

February 1st: New Hampshire Primary
Gregg: 51%
Craig: 26%
Perot: 12%
Alexander: 10%

Bradley's victory in New Hampshire helped push some high profile names who'd been undecided to support his candidacy. He managed to receive the endorsement of several Democratic officials, such as Colin Powell, Bob Kerrey, Bob Casey, and Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Do you believe the President had an affair with Monica Lewinsky?
Yes: 40%
No: 35%
Unsure: 25%

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2010, 06:37:05 PM »

February 7th: Hawaii Republican Caucuses
Gregg: 54%
Perot: 22%
Craig: 13%
Alexander: 11%

February 8th: Delaware Republican Primary
Craig: 34%
Alexander: 32%
Gregg: 20%
Perot: 16%

February 19th: South Carolina Republican Caucuses
Alexander: 38%
Craig: 28%
Gregg: 23%
Perot: 11%

February 22nd: Arizona Republican Primary
Perot: 33%
Craig: 29%
Gregg: 22%
Alexander: 16%

February 22nd: Michigan Republican Primary
Gregg: 35%
Craig: 29%
Perot: 23%
Alexander: 13%

Red - Gregg
Blue - Craig
Green - Alexander
Yellow - Perot
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »

Go Perrot!
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »

Is the Internet around in 2000 in this TL?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »

Is the Internet around in 2000 in this TL?
Yes.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:58 PM »

Blue - Craig
Red - Gregg
Green - Alexander
Yellow - Perot

Red - Clinton
Blue - Bradley

February, on the Democratic side, had no primaries after New Hampshire (excluding the no-delegate Delaware primary) allowing Clinton to build up a ground campaign to stave off Bradley's challenge. Despite hammering him on his betrayal to liberal ideals and his personal affairs, Bradley was unable to establish. Waging his campaign on California, it failed to deliver, and halted his momentum entirely. He dropped out, but declined to endorse the President.

While Gregg had been initially favored to win, a last-ditch spending spree by Perot on Super Tuesday ate at a considerable amount of his base, delivering several states to Larry Craig. Failing to win a single primary on Tuesday, the Texas Senator dropped out, giving a very lukewarm endorsement to Craig a few days later, which surprised many pundits.

Historico
United States

« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »

Wow, Bubba won't even have to worry about all these women coming out of the woodwork during the campaign if Craig get's the nomination and his Male Restroom Solicitations become public lol...Itll probably be best Democratic Landside since Johnson lol
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

Senator Craig had wrapped up the nomination after the arduous primary cycle. Alexander, failing to win Texas in a slieu of Dixie primaries, dropped out and endorsed Craig. Senator Judd Gregg would do the same several days later after losing the hotly contested Illinois primary, in a nail-biter.

On April 2nd, 2000, Monica Lewinsky's 'blue dress' is revealed, with DNA on it confirmed to be President Clinton's. The President is unable to be reached for a reply, but there are reports that the First Lady was distraught, and at many times refusing to be in the same room as the President.

Hypothetical Match-up

Craig/???: 257 EV
Clinton/Cuomo: 234 EV

Do you believe Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinsky?

Yes: 70%
No: 20%
Unsure: 10%

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »

"It's been pretty much confirmed that the President has lied to us," said Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich. "I'm going to do all I can to rectify this mistake." The push for impeachment passed the House committee along an almost purely party-line vote. In the Senate, Bradley pushed hard for several Democrats to push over, but the vote ended up failing - several Republican Senators failed to deliver. (Lowell Weicker, Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins)

At the Republican National Convention (which preceded the Democratic National Convention) Senator Craig, the presumptive nominee, announced his Vice Presidential pick.

Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, whom was affirmed on the first ballot by a voice vote.

August 14th, the start of the Democratic National Convention. There were rumors that Senator Bradley had been calling Super Delegates for weeks - was he going to take his grudge this far with the President?

In hopes of cajoling Bradley supporters over to his side, Clinton arranged for him to speak on the second day. Bradley's speech, however, gave no apologies and took no prisoners.

"I would like to make the case why the delegates should not nominate Mr. Clinton. This is not just about an affair. This is about what we stand for as a party! Kicking people off the welfare rolls, kicking gays out of the military, and the government in our bedrooms! This convention will arguably define us as a party for the next generation, and if we want to win elections we must offer something that the Republican Party doesn't, or else those looking for what the Democratic Party should be offering will stay home."

Despite a brief 'dump Clinton' movement, Senator Bradley was unable in his attempts to derail the President's nomination, and Clinton was nominated on the 2nd ballot, though Bradley had the backing of several super-delegates (Leahy, Boxer, Kerrey, Casey, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Colin Powell, and Jerry Brown.)

Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »

Awesome! Can't wait to see how the election turns out!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies