The Second Term of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:02:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 66963 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »

“Please, don’t do this… think about what little respect you have left for the party.”

”Screw the party… It’s the issues that matter, not the party. If the Democrats need a kick in the ass to get their act together, than so be it.”

”You’ll have burned all bridges by doing this… please reconsider.”

”I’ve gone too far to let this bastard turn us into Eisenhower Republicans.”

Bill Bradley had scheduled a press conference in early September.

”Good afternoon to all who were generous enough to attend today. To all good-hearted liberals of conviction, we would look at the past four years: deregulation, welfare reform, a ban on gay marriage, and the government going as far as to get in the bed rooms of our brave soldiers. Any self-respecting Democrat would say, “Damn the Republicans that did this.” But they would be sick to find out that it was a Democrat who did nothing but cow-tow to the Republican congress. Is it worth re-electing such a man, to push us towards the right?

I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States. A vote for Bradley is a vote for integrity, transparency, and conviction. I hope that the Peoples’ Progressive Party nominates me, for I have changed my registration.”

Bradley’s announcement came as a shock to many – even Clinton had not been consulted. “That bastard, I pulled enough strings for him to have a speech at the Convention, and he used it as a hatchet on my head. Now he’s going to throw the election to Craig?”

Who do you support?

Craig/Gregg: 48%
Clinton/Cuomo: 24%
Bradley/???: 18%

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2010, 02:38:32 AM »

Good so far.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »

Bill Bradley held off on announcing a Vice Presidential pick for quite some time, wanting to keep the media spotlight on him for as long as possible to garner attention from liberals, undecideds, and otherwise a-political people, looking for a candidate to excite him. However, with time running out, and the first debate (which he had been eligible for) approaching, he announced a Vice Presidential pick, many pundits said was a 'slam dunk.'

Pennsylvania Governor Colin Powell

The selection of Colin Powell brought many more blacks over to Bradley's candidacy, whom had already been dissatisfied with the President's signing of welfare reform. Powell also brought executive experience, 'war hero' status, and potentially the battleground state of Pennsylvania.

The Peoples' Progressive Party easily endorsed Senator Bradley. For years, the party had been in remission, and many saw it as little more than a defunct organization to greenlight the Democratic Nominees among bleeding hearts. However, Bradley's energetic campaign gave them hope once more, for their voice to be heard.

September 16th: The First Presidential Debate

The first presidential debate was seen as little more than a gang-up on the incumbent President. Senator Craig did nothing but hammer his affairs and government shut-downs and slashes to the military budget, whilst Senator Bradley attacked him for his more conservative positions.

Who do you think won the first debate?
Craig: 42%
Bradley: 36%
Clinton: 22%
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »

Awesome.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »

On October 1st, news broke that Senator Craig had been arrested for 'disorderly conduct.' The police report indicated that Senator Craig had been making inappropriate contact with a man in a neighboring stall, whom was an undercover police officer.

Craig's Mugshot

Senator Craig pled guilty, but maintained his innocence and claimed it was merely to "expedite the process."

Do you believe Craig?

Yes: 25%
No: 65%
Unsure: 10%

Senator Craig avoided most press conferences, and even declined to attend the 2nd debate. It was merely Senator Bradley and President Clinton. The second debate was a blowout for Bradley, whom attacked the President as being 'no better than Senator Craig.' President Clinton appealed to be judged by the economy, but Senator Bradley asserted that the economy was handed to him by the Republicans, and "he still hasn't done anything about the homeless."

Who won the second debate?
Bradley: 57%
Clinton: 43%

Senator Judd Gregg however, did attend the Vice Presidential debate, which was two days after. He maintained Senator Craig's innocence, and performed well, but the victor was Powell.

Hypothetical Match-up

Historico
United States

« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »

Damn...Talk about sh**tty timing lol, and one hell of an October Suprise...Im suprised the GOP Leadership hasn't told him to leave the ticket and they have a makeshift Convention to nominate or elevate Judd Greg for the Presidential nomination. This election may very well go to the House, and If Bradly/Powell place second, they could possibly get the Vice Presidency...Keep it comming
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2010, 12:28:16 PM »

Like Powell. Get Creig out of there
hantheguitarman

« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »

Excellent!

Maybe the election gets sent to the house, but before that one of Craig's electors, disgusted by Craig's bathroom activities, votes for another Republican (who didn't run in the election). This legitimizes that Republican and puts his name in the House running, and perhaps the Republican House confirms that Republican? So somebody who gained no popular votes and only one electoral vote wins the presidency. Just a thought.
Historico
United States

« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »

Let's finish this election off Dallas lol...Keep it comming!!!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:07 AM »

Let's finish this election off Dallas lol...Keep it comming!!!
I like the cliff hanger effect Wink

No, but I shall... tonight!
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2010, 10:34:34 AM »

Larry Craig... Cry

Disgusting. Good thing he never had a shot in real life.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »

The last month had been simply disastrous for the two parties and their respective nominees. The Republican Party had suggested replacing Senator Craig on the ticket in favor of Governor Lamar Alexander, but Senator Craig threatened legal action if the party would do so. This led to a slew of top Republicans withdrawing their endorsements of the Idaho Senator. Senator Ross Perot, for the sake of independence, endorsed Senator Bradley in the final weeks, “This isn’t an endorsement of his policy positions – it’s an endorsement for the spirit of independence, so we may finally break away from the shackles of the two-party system. Looking back on it, I should’ve ran myself.”

It was no friendlier to the President himself either. As the polls soured and Senator Bradley looked like he “had a chance”, many liberal Democrats began switching their endorsements to him. Mrs. Clinton had not been seen in the White House for weeks, reportedly living in Little Rock, Arkansas, with her mother Dorothy, whom had been living there since the 80’s. The estranged First Lady gave a lengthy interview on 60 minutes on October 25th. When asked about the future of her marriage and a possible divorce, she merely said she “wasn’t sure what she was going to do.”

Polls among demographics groups showed that Bradley was winning a majority of blacks, teenagers, independents, and previously un-involved voters, dissatisfied with the two parties. He promised a humble foreign policy, but mostly spoke in platitudes and not specific policy positions. These lofty statements proved to be enough, for November 7th, 2000, Senator Bradley won by a slim margin.

Senator Bill Bradley/Colin Powell: 274 EV, 46.3% PV
President Bill Clinton/Mario Cuomo: 163 EV, 32.8% PV
Senator Larry Craig/Judd Gregg: 97 EV, 20.9% PV
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2010, 09:19:22 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Summary

President Bradley's first term marked the end of the free-spirited nineties: The fall of Enron, Tyco, etc, and a catastrophic attack on the World Trade Center: Dubbed 9/11. With consecutive months of moderate growth, though Bradley was able to get little of his agenda through, he was able to win re-election in 2004.

Bradley/Powell: 51% PV, 298 EV
Keating/Sanford: 48% PV, 240 EV

Bradley's second term would prove to be much more tumultuous than his first. Upon winning reelection and seeing Senatorial gains, he ambitiously tried to tackle gun rights, and health care reform. After much public outcry, many of the more moderate Democrats swayed against the legislation, both of them being complete routs for the administration. Many were unsure if the Vice President would seek election himself after repeated job losses in 2006 and 2007, but  Powell did.

Powell mused running for the Democratic Party nomination instead of the People's Progressive Party, but after the emergence of a strong field, comprised of moderates eager to distance themselves from the Bradley administration, the Vice President announced he would be running on the third party ticket that had narrowly allowed him into the office. To solidify liberal support and peel off more committed Dems, Powell selected Senator Russ Feingold.

On the Democratic field, after a bitter contest, the charismatic Governor of Virginia Mark Warner wrapped up the nomination. For his Vice President, Mark Warner chose Governor Brian Schweitzer, pursuing a "western strategy", in hopes of cutting into the "Blue Firewall" of Republican states.

For the Republicans, homesick of the White House after three consecutive losses, turned to New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Having been seen as a "hero" of the 9/11 attacks, Rudy Giuliani's greatest asset would be his competitiveness in the northern states. The Republicans, longing for the days of the moderate President Baker, easily nominated him. For Vice President, he would select Texas Governor George W. Bush.

Coming Soon... Election Night 2008.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

Go Giuliani/Bush! Who's Warner's running mate and who's Powell's running mate?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »

Go Giuliani/Bush! Who's Warner's running mate and who's Powell's running mate?

LOL, a minor ommission on my part. Powell is running with Russ Feingold, and Warner is running with Brian Schweitzer.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

Welcome to Election Night 2008! The polls are rather dicey, and in this hotly contested three-way between these candidates, your guess is as good as mine as to who wins! Warner ran an excellent campaign, but it remains to be seen if Giuliani's attempts to paint him as "just another progressive" have worked...

It's 7:00, and several states have just closed their polls!

We will safely project Vermont for Powell, and Virginia for Warner. All other states are too close to call.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 05, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »

I'm guessing this good timline, despite being in the middle of the 2008 election, is dead too.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »

I'm guessing this good timline, despite being in the middle of the 2008 election, is dead too.

T'was my inaugural timeline... but yes. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »

^^ Are you going to continue? I was interested in this, and I can't tell in your above post if you like or don't like this.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2010, 03:39:07 PM »

^^ Are you going to continue? I was interested in this, and I can't tell in your above post if you like or don't like this.

Probably just till 2008, if I do.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:40 AM »

Probably just till 2008, if I do.

so, continue please!!
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2011, 10:58:28 PM »

bumpity bump bump
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States