The Second Term of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:16:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 66969 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »

I pushed the bombing back a year so I can include the midterm results in the next post.

Yuck. I don't want that Bastard in the White House. Baker in 84'!!

you still like the TL though, right? and don't worry, baker might have his time. Smiley
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »

Well yes the TL is good. We rarely have new posters who make good TL's. Keep up the good work.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »

Good god, 74 Seats. O_o

Keep up the good work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 08:10:50 PM »

I pushed the bombing back a year so I can include the midterm results in the next post.

Yuck. I don't want that Bastard in the White House. Baker in 84'!!

you still like the TL though, right? and don't worry, baker might have his time. Smiley

Heh, I really hate Scoop, but TL is good Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »

i'm going to change how i did the 76 elections to a map instead of listings, update either LATE tonight or friday, don't expect one thursday though.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2009, 04:35:07 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Within days, after some backroom dealings with Saddam Hussein, the United States announced that it would be landing 100,000 troops in Iraq over the next year, by both boat and plane. In response, the Soviet Union ceased its early operations in Afghanistan and stationed troops near the border of Iran.

March 2nd, 1981, open combat begins between US and Iranian troops in Western Iran. The UN is upset that President Jackson did not go through them first, but member-states are largely split between whom they support. Israel, UK, and West Germany support the US, with other states like France and Spain remaining neutral.

The Republicans picked up a whopping six senate seats in the midterm elections, making the total 42 Republicans and 58 Democrats. They also managed to pick up thirty house seats, almost all of them pro-war Republicans.

When asked whether or not he would be running for the Presidency in 84, Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker replied "I can not run for President during such tumultous times, as my current duty is to serve the state of Tennessee, and my country, in a time of war. Running for President would merely divide the country at this point when we need to be united." When asked about future plans after 84, he declined to comment.

However, there were others whom seem interested in the Presidency. Among them:

Governor Pete DuPont of Delaware

Senator John Connally of Texas

Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada

Governor George Deukmejian of California

None of these men had yet declared.

President Jackson's Approval Rating: 63%

Approval of the War in Iran: 81%

Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 02:34:54 AM »

Hey, great timeline. Keep up the good work.

Though I can't wait to see Scoop Jackson (hopefully) go down in flames...
Historico
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 09:06:06 AM »

OK, the US sending 1 million troops to Iran is quite ridiculous....We never send that big Contingents first off. So maybe a 75,000 to 100,000 going to Iran, then if the war goes Badly then you can get your escalation. As for Battle Sites ideas look at the Iraq-Iran War, and see where most of the Revolutionary Gaurd has their strongholds. I also didn't realize that Colin Powell and Jeanne Kirkpatrik will probably stay Democrats ITTL with them working under Scoop, which have major butterflies in the future. But we willl cross that bridge when we get there...with the stress of a major war, I forsee that Scoop will still dye as IOTL, and will get to see a Bentsen Presidency? Also did Ford appoint Volcker to the Fed in his 2nd term cuz If he didn't the Economy is probably a wreck right not ITTL
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2009, 12:37:57 PM by Dallasfan65 »

All right, I'll change it to 100,000.. not the biggest expert on military stats, and I wanted to provide a lot of troops for years to come. Gerald Ford did not appoint Volcker, and Scoop will die, though at a different date.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 01:07:53 PM »

With the economy only getting mildly better, some of the more ambitious Republicans felt like they had a chance. On November 8th, 1983, Senator John Connally of Texas declared his candidacy for President of the United States.

On November 15th, 1983, another Republican threw his hat into the ring.

Governor Pete DuPont of Delaware.

Both of the men had a platform of rolling back Jackson's tax increases and massive spending bill, but also to support the war effort in Iran.

"If I don't see a Republican who shares my values," said Senator Mark O. Hatfield, "then this old war horse just might have to get in the race."

On the other side, it was no surprise that President Jackson would be seeking his parties' nomination. One surprise, however, was an insurgent challenge from the dovish wing of the party.

Former Senator George McGovern, announcing on December 2nd, 1983, that he would be seeking the Democratic nomination for the Presidency.

Uncertainty began to stir in the public, just two years after the war started. Approval for the war hovered around 61%, with President Jackson's own approval at 53%.

Iowa Poll
Connally: 39%
DuPont: 25%
Laxalt: 8%
Deukmejian: 3%

Iowa Poll

Jackson: 83%
McGovern:8%

Following the release of these polls, Deukmejian announced he would not be seeking the Presidency.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »

On February 20th, 1984, the Iowa Caucuses were held.

Republicans
John Connally: 54%
Pete DuPont: 44%
Others: 2%

Democrats
Scoop Jackson:81%
George McGovern:15%

Debates were held three days before the New Hampshire primary. During the debates, Pete DuPont cited being a businessman and Governor as credentials to be President. Connally bashed Pete DuPont, saying "there are cities in Texas with more people than Delaware. I governed one of the largest states in the nation." Also, he pointed out the DuPont company's bad record on the environment, to which Pete DuPont responded "Are you sure you're not still a Democrat, Senator?"

February 28th proved to be a good day for Pete DuPont. He narrowly edged out a victory over Connally.

Republicans
Pete DuPont: 48%
John Connally: 44%

Democrats
Scoop Jackson: 73%
George McGovern: 24%

When questioned about George McGovern's primary challenge, President Jackson quipped "This isn't the 70's anymore. He would be even less palatable to the electorate than he was in 72."

McGovern, in a press conference, angrily responded "If this isn't the 70's, then why is the economy still a wreck? Why do we have another Vietnam?"
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »

Great TL. It truly appears that you put a lot of time and effort into this. Keep up the good work.

The only error that I found is this:

The Republicans picked up a whopping six senate seats in the midterm elections, making the total 42 Republicans and 68 Democrats. They also managed to pick up thirty house seats, almost all of them pro-war Republicans.

The Senate has 100 seats total, so I'm assuming you mean there are 42 Republicans and 58 Democrats.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »

Great TL. It truly appears that you put a lot of time and effort into this. Keep up the good work.

The Republicans picked up a whopping six senate seats in the midterm elections, making the total 42 Republicans and 68 Democrats. They also managed to pick up thirty house seats, almost all of them pro-war Republicans.

The Senate has 100 seats total, so I'm assuming you mean there are 42 Republicans and 58 Democrats.

Haha, sorry about that. typing error. I'll have a primary update today or tomorrow.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »

Haha, sorry about that. typing error. I'll have a primary update today or tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to the update.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:56 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2009, 11:59:40 AM by Dallasfan65 »

On March 1st, Senator Mark Hatfield officially declared his candidacy for President of The United States.

He didn't have time to achieve ballot status in Maine, but swiftly headed there and began a write-in campaign.

Maine Caucuses
Republicans
Pete DuPont: 53%
John Connally: 28%
Mark Hatfield(write-in): 17%

Democrats
Scoop Jackson:58%
George McGovern:39%

On March 6th, recently promoted General Colin Powell testified before Congress for an additional 40,000 troops, alleging Soviet involvement in the US-Iran war.

Wyoming Caucuses
Republicans
John Connally: 61%
Pete DuPont: 28%
Mark Hatfield: 11%

Democrats
Scoop Jackson: 81%
George McGovern: 17%

The candidates headed off into March 13, for a whole 9 primaries & caucuses. (I will not be doing state by state results for these, as it will be too many.)

Blue - Connally
Red - DuPont
Green - Hatfield

On the Democratic side, Jackson won all but Massachusetts. Hawaii was close, but in the end, his long championing for Hawaii statehood came in his favor, pulling off a narrow victory.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

Woohoo! fixed the image links. comments, anyone?

Working on more of the primary this afternoon. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »

I support Hatfield over bastard Jackson
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 06:09:28 PM »

Upon the retirement of Potter Stewart, Scoop Jackson announced he would be appointing his longtime Senate colleague, Warren Magnuson (or "Maggie") to the Supreme Court. Warren Magnuson was confirmed 81-12.

The primaries continued, from March 14th to March 31st.

Blue - Connally
Red - DuPont
Green - Hatfield

With still a moderately popular war, it was hard for Hatfield to build a solid base on the Anti-War vote in the GOP, and failed to lay claim to the moderates. However, after having lost Minnesota and Connecticut to Hatfield (by narrow margins), and unable to gain any significant ground against Connally, Pete DuPont withdrew from the race, on March 31st.

Red - Jackson
Blue - McGovern

Despite initial losses, McGovern began to eek out wins in narrow states, due to vigorous campaigning and a much more anti-war electorate on the Democratic side. President Jackson was not able to campaign, being too busy with the war effort. Illinois was a shock to many, but McGovern, having gotten the endorsement of Senator Paul Simon, won the day.

The United States Army had sustained over 5,000 casualties since the war had begun, but had inflicted much more than that on the enemy. Soviet troops were fighting American troops, and after two weeks of fighting, Tehran was in American hands. The Left wing of the Democratic Party in the Senate and Congress were suggesting that we declare victory and leave, but President Jackson was not yet satisfied. In private, he disclosed that he knew of Soviet involvement and that he had intended it to be the "final battlefield" of the Cold War.

On the economic front, unemployment, which had previously fallen down to 9.3%, went back up to 12%, and inflation was still rising, due to a rising US debt. "These things take time," said President Jackson.

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 09:08:38 PM »

Hatfield and McGovern better get their campaigns into shape. Shocked
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 09:13:34 PM »

Ouch. Someone doesn't like the TL. Sad
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2009, 09:18:59 PM »

McGovern!

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2009, 09:19:38 PM »

Ouch. Someone doesn't like the TL. Sad

Who?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

Dunno, but someone voted "THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!"

Guilty.

I wanted to vote for ":up to 2004" option, and mistakenly clicked this, sorry.

Continue, of course.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »

Dunno, but someone voted "THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!"

Guilty.

I wanted to vote for ":up to 2004" option, and mistakenly clicked this, sorry.

Continue, of course.

Haha, that's fine. I'm kindof glad that, considering this is my first TL, there was only one vote to stop and it was accidental. Update coming tonight. Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2009, 11:11:06 PM by Xuande »

Blue - Connally
Red - DuPont
Green - Hatfield

Despite vigorous campaigning and some chance that Hatfield might be the nominee, a string of unlucky primaries through April (in which he only won Wisconsin and Vermont, as opposed to Connally's NY, PA, AZ, MO, and UT victories) it became clear that he would not be the nominee. After narrowly winning his home state of Oregon, he announced he would be withdrawing from the race.

Red - Jackson
Blue - McGovern

President Jackson still did not feel the need to campaign, remarking that it would be un-presidential. After two narrow upsets in New York and Wisconsin, President Jackson began campaigning in full force, "running the table" and shutting him out in most states, only allowing him to win VT, OR and MD. After winning Oregon, he also announced he would be withdrawing, to deliver a joint concession speech with Senator Hatfield.

The two campaigns held a final rally at St. Paul, Minnesota.

"My friends, my supporters, I thank you for all you have done. Whether it was volunteering, donations, or merely your vote, I thank you. I am only sorry that I have not yet lived up to your demands. What did you demand? A leader. Though we disagree on some issues, I believe that Senator Hatfield is a leader. Though some Republicans followed later on, he was one of the first to begin to say, that we must withdraw. President Jackson, and Senator Connally, these men are not leaders. I want you to consider the nominees, and ask yourself, 'Are either of these parties fit to lead?' "

At the convention, John Connally announced his Vice Presidential pick.

Senator John Chaffee of Rhode Island. Though not often on the national spotlight, John Chaffee was a friend of Connally's from the Nixon administration, and Connally felt he could be competitive in New England.

At the Democratic Convention, there was a brief push to dump Vice President Bentsen from the ticket due to concerns of President Jackson's health, but he refused outright.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies