The Second Term of Gerald Ford (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:05:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 67164 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

Updated.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »

After a prolonged, though eventual victory at Dezful against mostly Soviet forces, President Jackson requested an additional 30,000 troops from Congress. "We can't leave our men in there in the amounts they're in, without-back up, especially how the Soviets have been messing around." The Senate voted, 63-20, to send the troops. Senator Chafee voted in favor, and Senator Connally was absent, but supported sending the troops.

President Jackson's Approval
Approve:54%
Disapprove:43%

War In Iran Approval
Approve: 64%
Disapprove: 29%

American casualties were now 6,923 since the invasion of Iran.

On the international front, though the war in Iran looked to be more or less a steady American push (but not without set-backs, and strong Soviet resistance) the Soviet Union itself was in shambles, economically. Leader Yuri Andropov refused to comment about the US-Iran war, and was not on speaking terms with UN Ambassador Patrick Kennedy.

On August 28th, former Senator George McGovern scheduled a press conference.

"I am appauled that we're sending another 30,000 men to Iran, merely to fight and die, and for what? To fight the Soviets? We tried this in the 70's and it didn't work! I can no longer stand by and watch as these men go on to their deaths, because of an arm-chair General in the oval office. If the Democratic party won't get rid of this man, then I will myself. I announce to all those that supported me, that I am running for President of the United States, with Senator Hatfield."

Who do you support?
Jackson: 46%
Connally: 37%
McGovern: 16%

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »

The Presidential campaigns of the three contenders kicked off into high gear beginning in September.

President Jackson's Campaign
Being a moderately popular President amongst the average American (approval rating's in the 50's) and the advantage of incumbency, Scoop was favored to win reelection. Considering the insurgent candidacy of McGovern, he focused on maintaining vital ground on the West Coast and the rustbelt while looking to expand into the West.

Senator Connally's Campaign
Taking the West somewhat for granted, John Connally focused on regaining Dixie after Dole's loss in 1980. He had a slight lead in Texas despite Vice President Bentsen being on the ticket, and was even favored to win a plurality (albeit slim) in the Atlantic States. He was relatively civil and non-chalant, hoping McGovern and Jackson would split eachother enough.

George McGovern's Campaign
George McGovern knew that certain states would be receptive, where as others would be volatile. McGovern only was on the ballot in certain states, but if he were to win all of the states he was on the ballot in (which he knew was impossible) he would piece together 320 electoral votes.

States in which McGovern was on the ballot.

The first Presidential debate was held on September 15th. On Connally's part, it was one of the cleanest, most civil debate performances ever. He stated that while he agreed with President Jackson on Iran, he felt that Jackson was not doing the best job on the economy. President Jackson snuck in little jabs but was relatively civil. McGovern took this as an opportunity to distance himself away from the two, in his closing statement.

"It's as if they're two heads of the same dragon," he said. "They're not even attempting to hide their closeness, their friendship. A lifelong Democrat, I now say that these two parties are one in the same, two sides of the same coin. Neither of these men will end the war. Neither of these men will give you a job. Neither of them have said a damn thing about healthcare. One promises you the stagnant economy of the 70's, the other promises you the stagnant economy of the 80's. Do you want a real choice?"

McGovern was seen by many as doing the best in the debate, followed by Jackson and Connally.

Several days later, U.S. forces announced the capture of Mostafa Chamran, the defense minister of Iran. President Jackson's poll numbers saw a 5% boost.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2009, 11:33:10 PM »

Glad to see the positive feedback. I'll be posting the election either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, probably the latter. Smiley
Any candidates you guys are looking forward to seeing in future elections? (in this TL.)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2009, 11:46:24 PM by Xuande »

Glad to see the positive feedback. I'll be posting the election either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, probably the latter. Smiley
Any candidates you guys are looking forward to seeing in future elections? (in this TL.)

Well it could be interesting to see Ron Paul make a run for the Republican nomination in '88...Smiley

I was actually thinking of another TL when i finish this one where the Ron Paul/Goldwater conservatives become the face of the Republican party. Smiley

Blah, I hope to God no one steals this idea. A Ron Paul presidency would be a beautiful thing, he's been great on the House Banking Committee.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »

Well it could be interesting to see Ron Paul make a run for the Republican nomination in '88...Smiley

I was actually thinking of another TL when i finish this one where the Ron Paul/Goldwater conservatives become the face of the Republican party. Smiley

Blah, I hope to God no one steals this idea. A Ron Paul presidency would be a beautiful thing, he's been great on the House Banking Committee.

Good idea, though Ron Paul is more Robert Taft than Barry Goldwater. Smiley

He could still run here in 88 though, as he did run in real life on the LP ticket.
It probably won't be seen in this TL though, I have an even more unexpected choice prepared to shake up the primary in 88.. Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »

Before the October debate, McGovern had stepped up to second in the polls.

Who do you support?
Jackson: 39%
McGovern: 32%
Connally: 29%

Much of this was attributed to dissatisfaction with Republicans due to Watergate, and the disastrous Ford presidency. Shortly after this poll was released, Connally pulled out of certain states and allocated his resources where he saw as most vulnerable in Jackson's last electoral victory.

The second and last debate happened, in mid-October. Much of the discourse was relatively civil, especially between Connally and Jackson, but when the category of war was brought up, Jackson boasted that victory was within arm's reach, and bragged about the U.S. military's capture of Mostafa Chamran. After this statement, McGovern attacked.

"There is a growing movement that would beg to differ with your statement, President.
My candidacy would attest to that. Little do the American people know it, but this is a facade put up so he can win reelection and get another escalation by the do-nothings in Congress that refuse to reign him in - this includes you, Senator Connally. How many more kids must fight and die, merely to kill innocent Iranians, and for your own amusement?"

Though meant to expose the President for what McGovern saw him as, the attack was well received only among the most hardcore members of his base - people who already planned on voting for him. However, it drove off the leaners, and proved damaging to his campaign. Connally and Jackson both accused McGovern of playing politics with the country's foreign affairs, and pinned him as a single-issue candidate. By the time the election had rolled around, McGovern fell to a paltry 16% in the polls.

President Henry M. Jackson/Vice President Lloyd Bentsen, 247 EV, 42.3% PV
Senator John Connally/Senator John Chafee, 253 EV, 41.6% PV
George McGovern/Senator Mark Hatfield, 38 EV, 16.1% PV

Robust efforts in the rust belt by McGovern split enough of Jackson's vote to deliver Ohio and Illinois to Connally by extremely narrow margins, the same to be said about New Jersey. President Jackson had spent little time in New England, and despite getting a share of the vote, did not win a single state East of New York.

"The bastard.." remarked President Jackson, about McGovern. "Were it not for him, I would've easily broken 300.."
It was unsure how the House of Representatives would vote, since no candidate had a majority of EV's. The Democrats still had a majority despite a 10 seat gain by the Republicans, but would enough of the Left-Wing congressman vote for Connally instead merely to deny Jackson the presidency? Could Jackson win them back over? They headed off, each campaign calling Congressman, making deals and concessions.. It was only a matter of time to see how the House would vote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2009, 10:39:24 PM by Xuande »

McGovern held enough left-wing Democrats in the House to sway the election to either Connally or Jackson. There was no way he'd co-opt a majority of the Democrats, neither those that were conservative nor the veterans that resented him for his landslide loss in 72.

"It would simply be un-democratic for a man with 16% of the vote to be elected," he remarked to his campaign staff. "I can, however, get some of my issues pushed. If I accomplish that much, then my candidacy was worth it." At the end of the day, he sent off his congressmen to vote for Jackson, on the condition that the war would be over by 1987. If Jackson went back on his word, McGovern would field a candidate to challenge Vice President Lloyd Bentsen in the primary, and then run against him in the General Election if he won.

Inspired my McGovern's performance was the formation of the People's Progressive Party. It's platform was staunchly liberal on social, environmental, and foreign policy issues, but was a relatively gray area in terms of economics. The nominee of the Democratic Party would receive the endorsement and support of the People's Progressive Party, unless they strayed too far from what McGovern considered to be their ideals.

1984 Elections:

Despite Jackson's plurality in the popular vote, the Senate elections were a bloodbath for one-term democrats, especially in Republican strongholds. One notable freshman was maverick Republican Senator Ross Perot.

Senate
Democrats: 51
Republicans: 48

House
Democrats: 247
Republicans: 188
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »

I hope Jackson wins in the House. I'm glad to see a hawkish Democratic President after Vietnam and I don't want to see all the hawks removed from the Democratic Party as in RL.

By "RL" you mean your imagination, right?

No, RL=Real Life.

Is that an MMORPG or something? Cause here in the real world, the Democrats have been dominated by hawks for decades.

You call the Democrats hawks? Oh, please. The Democrats opposed American entry into the Gulf War when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, planned to invade Saudi Arabia and possibly other countries, and threatened American interests. If Democrats are hawks, then Hell froze over.

Yes, I call the Democrats what they are, which is a party of warmongers. The Democrats have never united to oppose war, and certainly not in the past few decades.

And it was a Democratic-controlled Congress that approved Bush I's Gulf War. Roll Eyes

Yes, but that was because nearly all Republicans but only about one-fifth of Democrats in Congress voted in favor of the Gulf War. That 1/5 of the Democratic Party allowed the Gulf War resolution to narrowly pass while about 4/5 of the Democrats in Congress voted against this resolution. If there's two things I'm really angry with about the Democratic Party, is that nearly all hawks and social conservatives (especially pro-lifers) go kicked out of the party in the 1960s and 1970s. That's why I consider myself a Democratic-leaning independent. I agree with the Democrats very strongly on economic policy, but strongly disagree with them on social issues and foreign policy.

are you a Bob Casey Democrat?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 12:10:45 PM »

The Second Term of Henry M. Jackson

The second term of President Jackson with unemployment dropping to 8.5%, but inflation rising to 3.4%. President Jackson promised that after the war was over and his infrastructural spending stopped, he would reign in inflation and the deficit.

President Jackson began talks with Mikhail Gorbachev in 1985, about resolution to the not-so-secret war between the U.S. and the Soviet Union in Iran, and arms control. With uprisings in Latvia, Estonia, and the Ukraine, it became almost certain that the Soviet Union was at it's final hour. Aides privately disclosed that talks between Gorbachev and Jackson, however, were often contentious, and one compared them to taking two steps forward and one step back.

However, Gorbachev would be negotiating with a new man, for on October 5th, 1986, the nation mourned the death of President Henry M. Jackson, to a sudden heart failure.

President Henry M. Jackson
May 31, 1912 - October 5th, 1986

The First Term of Lloyd Bentsen

Vice President: Vacant
Secretary of State: Ann Richards
Secretary of Defense: William "Flynt" Nichols
Secretary of Treasury: Mike McCormack
Attorney General: Henry B. Gonzalez
UN Ambassador: Bob Krueger
Chief of Staff: Dave McCurdy

To appeal to the Democratic Party's liberal base, and get a pick that would easily get through Congress, he requested retiring Speaker Tip O'Neill (whom he assured as just a vacany filler, and would not be on the ticket in 88.) O'Neill was confirmed.

(Coming up, 1986 midterm elections)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 06:06:28 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2009, 06:21:24 PM by Xuande »

Vigorous campaigning by President Bentsen helped cushion the usual blow received during midterm elections during a President' second term (albeit the first one of President Bentsen.) The Republicans only made a net-gain of two seats. Bentsen publically promised a withdrawal from Iran by 1987, but was not very coherent about his plan for withdrawal. Regardless, there were improved relations with the U.S. and Russia with a much more open-minded President Bentsen, as opposed to his predecessor.

December 3rd, 1986, marked the beginning of the "Savings and Loans" crisis. The result was a financial meltdown in the stock market, and consequentially another down turn compared to the slim economic growth during the Jackson Presidency.

President Bentsen's Approval Rating
46% Approve
47% Disapprove

Despite the economic down-turn, his poll numbers were cushioned by a 'sympathy vote' for the recent death of Jackson.

On January 11th, 1987, Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker was the first to announce a Presidential bid.

"In these times of chaos, the nation needs a leader. My former Senate colleague is a good man, but I feel as if he is not a good leader."
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

President Bentsen addressed Congress in his first State of the Union. During his speech, he promised cooperation with the U.N. for Iran's future. "Though they were a helpful ally in the war effort, I do not want to see this nation become a satellite of Iraq. Ambassador Krueger and I have been working with the U.N., and within a year there will be no more than 50,000 U.S. troops in Iran, along with a multinational peacekeeping force and a push for democratization." President Bentsen also promised that once the deficit was reduced by 50%, he would restore the taxes on the wealthy to the rate they were before President Jackson's increase, and lower the middle class taxes to levels lower than they were before the increase. On the subject of the Savings and Loans Crisis, he announced that there would be a Senate Investigation on the matter, which he supported. His State of the Union was met with much applause.

February 2nd, 1987, freshman Senator Ross Perot (R-TX) announces his candidacy for President of the United States.

Both men began campaigning in Texas. Ross Perot had handily beaten Baker in fundraising, but the Minority Leader was leading in the polls.

Who Do You Support for President?
Baker: 48%
Perot: 29%
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

With the economy in freefall, Senator Ross Perot was able to tout his credentials as a businessman and carried the more moderate February primaries. Baker described Perot as "the most inexperienced old man I've ever seen," but his attacks did not resonate with the electorate.

Baker was able to hold his own against Perot's monetary juggernaut, with his experience as a politician and the support of the establishment. He boosted his fundraising efforts in preparation for the March 8th onslaught of the primaries. If he weathered the storm, he'd be able to build an aura of inevitability.

Perot tried to brand himself as a maverick, and a new face of the Republican Party. "No, I don't have much experience as a politician. Most of the experienced politicians haven't exactly been doing the best job, have they? Perhaps this primary should be a referendum on the establishment."

March 1st saw the withdrawal of US forces from Iran. About 50,000 would stay there as part of a multi-national peacekeeping force, with Generals of the armies governing their respective regions. Troops from France, the U.K., Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and others were included. President Bentsen emphasized the need for other Middle Eastern countries to have a stake in the stability of Iran, and was vehemently opposed to Soviet involvement. General Colin Powell retired afterwards, moving to Pennsylvania and registering as a Democrat.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:35 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2010, 10:53:36 AM by Xuande »

With the retirement of Associate Justice Lewis F. Powell on March 3rd, President Bentsen was left with his first vacancy to fill. He announced a rather unusual pick, a governor from a neighboring state to his native Texas..

William Jefferson Clinton, fmr Governor of Arkansas, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court

March turned out to be a very favorable month for Senator Baker. On the massive March 8th primaries, he swept almost the entire South, whilst Perot allocated his resources in Kentucky, Virginia, and New England. However, he would regret taking his own state for granted - Baker came within three points of him, having support of the Texas GOP and spending massive resources there. It was a serious check to the momentum of Senator Perot.

John Glenn, whom many thought was a viable Vice Presidential pick or even a primary challenger to the incumbent President remarked that he was not interested in the Presidency. There was much suspicion as to why he denied interest; some felt that there was a hint of impropriety with his investigation into the Savings and Loans crisis.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »

So wait, who did Bentsen tap as his Vice Presidential Pick lol, I think you may have forgotten about the 25th Amendment? I think Bensten would have chosen an History making pick either with Woman or a Minority, someone preferably younger than him to shore up any questions about his age. I think Governor Martha Layne Collins of Kentucky would be a strong due to her ability to help Bentsen lock down the South(Think OTL Clinton/Gore Southern Strategy). Tom Bradley in California(If he won the Governor's race ITTL in '82), Andrew Young in Georgia,  etc. Im still gunning for Perot to win the GOP nomination...and Bentsen/Collins all the way(Leaves room for Powell in '96)

Bentsen picked Speaker O'Neill, but much like Gerald Ford did with Rockefeller, he won't have O'Neill on the ticket.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2010, 07:26:12 PM by Xuande »

Though having a string of comebacks, Perot was ultimately unable to hold off the tidal wave of momentum Baker ran off with after he swept Dixie and many other primaries on March 8th. Baker countered Perot's anti-establishment arguement by making his own case for gravitas, as opposed to empty rhetoric.

On July 18th, President Lloyd Bentsen announced a historic selection for his running mate.. Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall.

"This is a man who changed the nation, when he argued for the fundamental civil rights of disenfranchised Americans.. A fellow Texan of mine, the deceased Lyndon Johnson, made the historic decision to appoint this honorable man to the Supreme Court.. and I will make the historic decision of selecting him to be our next Vice President. He brings to the ticket wisdom, experience, and diversity."

Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker gave a low key but well-received acceptance speech for the nomination. To add some geographic balance to the ticket and appease the more conservative wing of the party, he selected Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada as his runningmate.

The two contenders headed off to campaign...
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »

"Presidents have some of the best care in the nation," said President Bentsen. "Infact, I'm only a few years older than Senator Baker myself. I can assure you, despite the tragic death of President Jackson, neither me nor my Vice President will die in office." The Baker campaign harped on Bentsen's choice of Thurgood Marshall as symbolism over substance, and that the President wasn't doing enough to investigate the Savings and Loans crisis or improve the economy. On the issue of the war in Iran, he said the President was handling the situation admirably, and he would continue the peace-keeping process.

The People's Progressive Party did not nominate a candidate, and endorsed President Bentsen.

Though things looked like a dead-heat coming out of the Convention, Baker's message to "turn the page on the tragic events of the 80's" and to return to normalcy, resonated with the voters and Senator Baker won, handily.

Senator Howard Baker/Senator Paul Laxalt, 365 ev, 52% PV
President Lloyd M. Bentsen/A.J. Thurgood Marshall, 173 EV, 47% PV

Several states were very close (MO, OH, PA, CA, MI) due to high black turnout, but Baker managed to carry the day.

President-elect Baker made frequent visits to the White House during the final months of Bentsen's Presidency, and frequently consulted him. Having worked together in the Senate, it was one of the friendliest transitions, in stark contrast to the distasteful one between Ford and Jackson.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »

The First Term of Howard Baker

Vice President: Paul Laxalt
Secretary of State: George Shultz
Secretary of Defense: Dick Cheney
Secretary of Treasury: Pete DuPont
Attorney General: Winfield Dunn
Chief of Staff: George H. W. Bush
U.N. Ambassador: John J. Duncan Jr.

1988 Senate Elections

Incidentally, despite Baker's electoral margin, the Senate elections went dutch, as far as pick-ups are concerned. Republicans were worried about the seat of Lowell P. Weicker, however, he narrowly managed to beat challenger Joseph Lieberman.

On the other hand, Republicans managed to pick up 25 house seats.

Senate
Republicans: 50 (Majority)
Democrats: 50

House
Democrats: 220
Republicans:215

President Baker, with some negotiating to House Leaders, managed to cut taxes across the board, and pledged to reduce the deficit before the 1992 election, and improve relations with the Soviet Union.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »

Thanks man, didn't know you were a reader. Smiley Enjoying the TL?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

Update coming soon, I swear.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »

In late 1989, due to much investigation concerning the Savings and Loans crisis, the Senate Ethics Committee, with cooperation of Attorney General Winfield Dunn, uncovered that four Senators had received over $1.5 million in contributions to various Senators, known as the Keating Four: Senator Alan Cranston, Senator Pete Dunn, Senator John Glenn, and Senator John McCain. In the end, three out of the four Senators were found guilty only of having exercised 'poor judgement.' Alan Cranston was reprimanded by the Senate, and announced he would not run for reelection.

On August 2th, 1990, Iraq invaded Kuwait. Many speculated that this was due to imperialistic ambitions, or debt to the Kuwaiti government, but Saddam Hussein cited their refusal to cooperate with OPEC standards and harm to the Iraqi economy, which had been struggling.

On August 3rd, President Baker issued an ultimatum to Iraq: Either vacate Kuwait in 48 hours, or yet another bombing campaign would begin, with troops adjacent in Iran cooperating with the neighboring Saudi's. He also promised to help arbitrate the debt between Iraq and Kuwait, promising to give Iraq more time to pay it's debt. Saddam, fearing the military might of the U.S., withdrew and submitted to the negotiations.

The economy began to show moderate signs of improvement aswell. Unemployment was down to 7.2%, and inflation was increasing at a much lower rate than it had been. President Baker had a 68% approval rating, heading into the 1990 midterm elections....

(Coming up shortly, 1990 Mid term elections)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »

1990 Senate Elections

With mostly their own seats up for re-election, Republicans only managed to make two Senatorial pick-ups. The Democratic Senators were mostly powerful incumbents, and withstood the Republican tide.

Breaking an almost constant trend, the Republicans also managed to increase their numbers in the house, managing to take it with a slim majority.

Senate
Republicans: 52
Democrats: 48

House
Republicans: 225
Democrats: 210
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2010, 11:53:18 AM by Northeast Representative Mr. Crowley »

The next year of Baker's presidency saw unemployment drop down to 6.4%, and for the first time in over a decade, a surplus in the budget. With the Republican controlled House, President Baker worked with Speaker Gingrich for a balanced budget, bringing on board some more moderate Democrats with his famous skills as "The Great Conciliator."
One other remarkable event was the signing of the Belavezha Accords on December 8th,  1991, marking what many saw as a collapse of the Soviet Union. President Baker saw a 65% approval rating, and many Democrats were hesitant  to match up with President Baker. There were several Democrats pressed to run for the presidency, such as Associate Justice Bill Clinton and General Colin Powell, but both had declined. There were some challengers, though..

On November 9th, 1991, Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvania announced he would seek his parties' nomination.

On November 15th, 1991, Senator Paul Tsongas announced he would contest the nomination. "The party's liberal wing cannot continue to be held hostage by centrists. If no one else will run against Governor Casey, then I will."

The two headed off to Iowa, the first caucus...
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 12:12:16 PM »

Iowa Caucuses
Bob Casey: 55%
Paul Tsongas: 45%

New Hampshire Primary
Paul Tsongas: 63%
Bob Casey: 35%

Maine Caucuses
Paul Tsongas: 58%
Bob Casey: 40%

South Dakota Primary
Bob Casey: 52%
Paul Tsongas: 46%

Though Tsongas won by whopping margins in two of the states, most pundits wrote it off as a "New England thing", and opined that Casey was a centrist who could go head-to-head with President Baker and be competitive, while securing the base.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »

The March primaries were a continuous back and forth between the two candidates, but with two big upsets - Maryland and Florida going to Tsongas. Though a serious blow to the Casey campaign, the Governor fought on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies