Opinion of Ramen Noodles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:30:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Ramen Noodles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Ramen Noodles?
Freedom Noodles

Horrible Noodles

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of Ramen Noodles  (Read 3244 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »

Yeah, real ramen is good. The stuff in a pack is as disgusting.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 01:42:10 PM »

Yep. I had them for dinner the last two nights in a row while the wife is away visiting family. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »

What's Ramen Noodles ?

I'm a big fan of all sorts of noodles, but never heard of Ramen Noodles ...
Extremely cheap noodles requiring no sauce.

Lol, you Americans are good. Eating noodles without a good sauce. Ridiculous !

Ah, but they come with ymmy powder mixes of many varied flavors, TB, and ensures we'll never suffer from a sodium deficiency. Tongue

Ad a splash of soy and hot stuff--presto! Instant sauce.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »

I used to love them and eat them all the time during the winter when I came in from doing whatever and wanted a hot meal. Now, we don't get them that much and I can't seem to find out how to cook them to just the right point.

Jeez Cathcon, do you need instructions on how to make toast too? Wink  Bring the water to a boil and then cook for three minutes.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »

Just break the "block" the long way into a couple chunks and then, using a fork, try to break them up.  I usually like to get a forkfull and pull them up out of the water almost completely and drop them back in while it's boiling.  Once they've all done that for a minute or two, they're ready to eat.  But I hate mushy noodles... I like them so they're just the tiniest bit al dente.

My favorite of the store bought kind is pork flavor.  Beef is too soy-ee and chicken is too blah.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »

What's Ramen Noodles ?

I'm a big fan of all sorts of noodles, but never heard of Ramen Noodles ...
Extremely cheap noodles requiring no sauce.

Lol, you Americans are good. Eating noodles without a good sauce. Ridiculous !

Actually Ramen is Japanese dish using Chinese style noodles, and they're supposed to be eaten in broth, usually with some other stuff like shrimp or a couple of eggs. For instant Ramen noodles like we're talking about here, the noodles usually have some kind powder or something to flavor the hot water you use to heat them.

The instant kind really caught on internationally, likely because they are ultra-cheap. Many a college student manages to sustain himself on them.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »

Quite bad. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 02:44:11 PM »

Reasonably high opinion of them.  Of course we rarely purchase them, since Mama's brand pork-flavored noodles cost the same, require the same short cooking time, but are spicy and taste sooooooo much better and are more nutritious.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2011, 03:58:47 AM »

Reasonably high opinion of them.  Of course we rarely purchase them, since Mama's brand pork-flavored noodles cost the same, require the same short cooking time, but are spicy and taste sooooooo much better and are more nutritious.

I eat 'Mama' in a favorite street restaurant in the big city an hour from here - it has the traditional mama noodles, but in a 'tom yum' soup, and with many many meats in it.  The tom-yum is similar to the broth you're eating but I think richer and more sour, and you can add sugar, fish sauce, and a great fresh minced-peppers-in-oil preparation, as well as vinegar (this last I don't add).  The meats on offer (I always get all of them) include stewed chicken feet, chicken balls, two kinds of sliced fish sausage, a sliced sweet pork sausage, incredibly delicous kind of pork-rib things, and some other things I can't remember.  Its really a smorgasbord in a bowl, for 40 baht, so about $1.33.  They even serve you free iced 'tea-water' - so much more delicious than regular water.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »

We do tom yum as well, from time to time.  My wife likes that and the Korean noodles as well.  I prefer Mama.  And when I make Mama pork noodles I always cut up a carrot and a piece of broccoli in it, and throw them in about halfway through the cooking time.  Don't really need any pork in it as it already has meat products in it.  That's why it's so different than Raman noodles.  Mama's has about 25% of the USDA-recommended daily supply of fat.  Raman noodles have zero fat.  It's also why Mama is much more delicious.  Well, that and the fact that it has that little spice package.

I haven't been to Thailand, but in China I've eaten a number of different types of street foods, often noodles.  Always cheap and usually delicious.  The Chinese seem to have a particular respect for the concept of "fresh" when it comes to seafood.  There's a place in Shanghai that brings the shrimp, alive and kicking, to the pot of boiling water at your sidewalk table.  The waitress shakes the container and the little shrimps get excited and jump out.  Right into the pot of boiling water.  For about a second or two they swim among the noodles.  Thirty seconds later they're ready to be consumed.  It doesn't get any fresher than that! 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies