The Second Term of Gerald Ford
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:30:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Second Term of Gerald Ford
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: How late do you want this TL to go?
1976-1988

1976-1996

1976-2004

THIS TL NEEDS TO STOP RIGHT NOW!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: The Second Term of Gerald Ford  (Read 66818 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »

Updated.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2009, 11:18:37 PM »

Ugh, if its Jackson vs. Connally, I'll have to support a third-party ticket. Tongue

Keep up the good work on this TL though. Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »

After a prolonged, though eventual victory at Dezful against mostly Soviet forces, President Jackson requested an additional 30,000 troops from Congress. "We can't leave our men in there in the amounts they're in, without-back up, especially how the Soviets have been messing around." The Senate voted, 63-20, to send the troops. Senator Chafee voted in favor, and Senator Connally was absent, but supported sending the troops.

President Jackson's Approval
Approve:54%
Disapprove:43%

War In Iran Approval
Approve: 64%
Disapprove: 29%

American casualties were now 6,923 since the invasion of Iran.

On the international front, though the war in Iran looked to be more or less a steady American push (but not without set-backs, and strong Soviet resistance) the Soviet Union itself was in shambles, economically. Leader Yuri Andropov refused to comment about the US-Iran war, and was not on speaking terms with UN Ambassador Patrick Kennedy.

On August 28th, former Senator George McGovern scheduled a press conference.

"I am appauled that we're sending another 30,000 men to Iran, merely to fight and die, and for what? To fight the Soviets? We tried this in the 70's and it didn't work! I can no longer stand by and watch as these men go on to their deaths, because of an arm-chair General in the oval office. If the Democratic party won't get rid of this man, then I will myself. I announce to all those that supported me, that I am running for President of the United States, with Senator Hatfield."

Who do you support?
Jackson: 46%
Connally: 37%
McGovern: 16%

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »

I hope Scoop Jackson gets reelected.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2009, 10:17:07 PM »

The Presidential campaigns of the three contenders kicked off into high gear beginning in September.

President Jackson's Campaign
Being a moderately popular President amongst the average American (approval rating's in the 50's) and the advantage of incumbency, Scoop was favored to win reelection. Considering the insurgent candidacy of McGovern, he focused on maintaining vital ground on the West Coast and the rustbelt while looking to expand into the West.

Senator Connally's Campaign
Taking the West somewhat for granted, John Connally focused on regaining Dixie after Dole's loss in 1980. He had a slight lead in Texas despite Vice President Bentsen being on the ticket, and was even favored to win a plurality (albeit slim) in the Atlantic States. He was relatively civil and non-chalant, hoping McGovern and Jackson would split eachother enough.

George McGovern's Campaign
George McGovern knew that certain states would be receptive, where as others would be volatile. McGovern only was on the ballot in certain states, but if he were to win all of the states he was on the ballot in (which he knew was impossible) he would piece together 320 electoral votes.

States in which McGovern was on the ballot.

The first Presidential debate was held on September 15th. On Connally's part, it was one of the cleanest, most civil debate performances ever. He stated that while he agreed with President Jackson on Iran, he felt that Jackson was not doing the best job on the economy. President Jackson snuck in little jabs but was relatively civil. McGovern took this as an opportunity to distance himself away from the two, in his closing statement.

"It's as if they're two heads of the same dragon," he said. "They're not even attempting to hide their closeness, their friendship. A lifelong Democrat, I now say that these two parties are one in the same, two sides of the same coin. Neither of these men will end the war. Neither of these men will give you a job. Neither of them have said a damn thing about healthcare. One promises you the stagnant economy of the 70's, the other promises you the stagnant economy of the 80's. Do you want a real choice?"

McGovern was seen by many as doing the best in the debate, followed by Jackson and Connally.

Several days later, U.S. forces announced the capture of Mostafa Chamran, the defense minister of Iran. President Jackson's poll numbers saw a 5% boost.

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2009, 11:12:02 PM »

McGovern-Hatfield ftw. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 11:16:37 PM »

McGovern is the only good choice.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 11:28:49 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2009, 11:33:10 PM »

Glad to see the positive feedback. I'll be posting the election either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, probably the latter. Smiley
Any candidates you guys are looking forward to seeing in future elections? (in this TL.)
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 11:37:16 PM »

Glad to see the positive feedback. I'll be posting the election either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, probably the latter. Smiley
Any candidates you guys are looking forward to seeing in future elections? (in this TL.)

Well it could be interesting to see Ron Paul make a run for the Republican nomination in '88...Smiley
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »
« Edited: December 26, 2009, 11:46:24 PM by Xuande »

Well it could be interesting to see Ron Paul make a run for the Republican nomination in '88...Smiley

I was actually thinking of another TL when i finish this one where the Ron Paul/Goldwater conservatives become the face of the Republican party. Smiley

Blah, I hope to God no one steals this idea. A Ron Paul presidency would be a beautiful thing, he's been great on the House Banking Committee.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »

I was actually thinking of another TL when i finish this one where the Ron Paul/Goldwater conservatives become the face of the Republican party. Smiley

Blah, I hope to God no one steals this idea. A Ron Paul presidency would be a beautiful thing, he's been great on the House Banking Committee.

Good idea, though Ron Paul is more Robert Taft than Barry Goldwater. Smiley

He could still run here in 88 though, as he did run in real life on the LP ticket. The decision is yours, of course, its your TL.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »

Good idea, though Ron Paul is more Robert Taft than Barry Goldwater. Smiley

He could still run here in 88 though, as he did run in real life on the LP ticket.
It probably won't be seen in this TL though, I have an even more unexpected choice prepared to shake up the primary in 88.. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2009, 12:23:15 AM »

Three way race, sweet Cheesy
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2009, 12:22:29 PM »

Before the October debate, McGovern had stepped up to second in the polls.

Who do you support?
Jackson: 39%
McGovern: 32%
Connally: 29%

Much of this was attributed to dissatisfaction with Republicans due to Watergate, and the disastrous Ford presidency. Shortly after this poll was released, Connally pulled out of certain states and allocated his resources where he saw as most vulnerable in Jackson's last electoral victory.

The second and last debate happened, in mid-October. Much of the discourse was relatively civil, especially between Connally and Jackson, but when the category of war was brought up, Jackson boasted that victory was within arm's reach, and bragged about the U.S. military's capture of Mostafa Chamran. After this statement, McGovern attacked.

"There is a growing movement that would beg to differ with your statement, President.
My candidacy would attest to that. Little do the American people know it, but this is a facade put up so he can win reelection and get another escalation by the do-nothings in Congress that refuse to reign him in - this includes you, Senator Connally. How many more kids must fight and die, merely to kill innocent Iranians, and for your own amusement?"

Though meant to expose the President for what McGovern saw him as, the attack was well received only among the most hardcore members of his base - people who already planned on voting for him. However, it drove off the leaners, and proved damaging to his campaign. Connally and Jackson both accused McGovern of playing politics with the country's foreign affairs, and pinned him as a single-issue candidate. By the time the election had rolled around, McGovern fell to a paltry 16% in the polls.

President Henry M. Jackson/Vice President Lloyd Bentsen, 247 EV, 42.3% PV
Senator John Connally/Senator John Chafee, 253 EV, 41.6% PV
George McGovern/Senator Mark Hatfield, 38 EV, 16.1% PV

Robust efforts in the rust belt by McGovern split enough of Jackson's vote to deliver Ohio and Illinois to Connally by extremely narrow margins, the same to be said about New Jersey. President Jackson had spent little time in New England, and despite getting a share of the vote, did not win a single state East of New York.

"The bastard.." remarked President Jackson, about McGovern. "Were it not for him, I would've easily broken 300.."
It was unsure how the House of Representatives would vote, since no candidate had a majority of EV's. The Democrats still had a majority despite a 10 seat gain by the Republicans, but would enough of the Left-Wing congressman vote for Connally instead merely to deny Jackson the presidency? Could Jackson win them back over? They headed off, each campaign calling Congressman, making deals and concessions.. It was only a matter of time to see how the House would vote.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »

Yay, now McGovern has a chance. Tongue
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »

How did the Democrat win Indiana though, especially while losing Illinois and Ohio? Huh
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »

I hope Jackson wins in the House. I'm glad to see a hawkish Democratic President after Vietnam and I don't want to see all the hawks removed from the Democratic Party as in RL.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »

I hope Jackson wins in the House. I'm glad to see a hawkish Democratic President after Vietnam and I don't want to see all the hawks removed from the Democratic Party as in RL.

By "RL" you mean your imagination, right?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »

No, RL=Real Life.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2009, 03:49:19 PM »

No, RL=Real Life.

Is that an MMORPG or something? Cause here in the real world, the Democrats have been dominated by hawks for decades.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »

No, RL=Real Life.

Is that an MMORPG or something? Cause here in the real world, the Democrats have been dominated by hawks for decades.

You call the Democrats hawks? Oh, please. The Democrats opposed American entry into the Gulf War when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, planned to invade Saudi Arabia and possibly other countries, and threatened American interests. If Democrats are hawks, then Hell froze over.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »

No, RL=Real Life.

You call the Democrats hawks? Oh, please. The Democrats opposed American entry into the Gulf War when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait, planned to invade Saudi Arabia and possibly other countries, and threatened American interests. If Democrats are hawks, then Hell froze over.

Yes, I call the Democrats what they are, which is a party of warmongers. The Democrats have never united to oppose war, and certainly not in the past few decades.

And it was a Democratic-controlled Congress that approved Bush I's Gulf War. Roll Eyes
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »

No, RL=Real Life.

Yes, I call the Democrats what they are, which is a party of warmongers. The Democrats have never united to oppose war, and certainly not in the past few decades.

And it was a Democratic-controlled Congress that approved Bush I's Gulf War. Roll Eyes
It was the pro-lifers who got run out of the party!!!!!!!!!
But in all seriousness, while the democratic party is not hawkish, many democrats are hawks.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2009, 10:39:24 PM by Xuande »

McGovern held enough left-wing Democrats in the House to sway the election to either Connally or Jackson. There was no way he'd co-opt a majority of the Democrats, neither those that were conservative nor the veterans that resented him for his landslide loss in 72.

"It would simply be un-democratic for a man with 16% of the vote to be elected," he remarked to his campaign staff. "I can, however, get some of my issues pushed. If I accomplish that much, then my candidacy was worth it." At the end of the day, he sent off his congressmen to vote for Jackson, on the condition that the war would be over by 1987. If Jackson went back on his word, McGovern would field a candidate to challenge Vice President Lloyd Bentsen in the primary, and then run against him in the General Election if he won.

Inspired my McGovern's performance was the formation of the People's Progressive Party. It's platform was staunchly liberal on social, environmental, and foreign policy issues, but was a relatively gray area in terms of economics. The nominee of the Democratic Party would receive the endorsement and support of the People's Progressive Party, unless they strayed too far from what McGovern considered to be their ideals.

1984 Elections:

Despite Jackson's plurality in the popular vote, the Senate elections were a bloodbath for one-term democrats, especially in Republican strongholds. One notable freshman was maverick Republican Senator Ross Perot.

Senate
Democrats: 51
Republicans: 48

House
Democrats: 247
Republicans: 188
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies