World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:34:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version  (Read 21369 times)
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »

Yeah initially for purely political reasons, but also because since meeting the Pope in 1981 he became much more religous, and while still being pro-choice is working hard to get the marriage to work. Also it would look really sh**tty for a divorce, even if he has already been relected.

I would actually like to see Teddy and Joan take on more of an Clintonian Relationship; could we maybe get some info if Joan has taken more of an activist First Ladydom? She may tack a wack at running for Teddy's old Seat in Massachusetts after '89. With Rock Hudson's death, I imagine Teddy would attempt to use it to get a sweeping Sexual Orientaion Act through Congress..
She has no political plans now, but that may change.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2009, 02:07:07 PM »

I also just realized that I forgot to say who Kennedy’s supreme court appointees were:

1981: Rose Bird, Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court

1986: A. Leon Higginbotham, Jr, Fomer Chief Justice of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third District.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »

January 1: President Kennedy delivers an address to the Soviet Union in which he states that “as we walk forward in this world we look not to war but to peace, and while it is clear that we are both very different in our beliefs, it is just as clear that no nation or people has the right to impose those beliefs on the other.”

January 10: The Dow Jones Industrial Average finishes at an all-time high.

January 20: The Special Envoy to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Terry Waite, is kidnapped in Beirut.

January 25: Three American and one Indian Professor are abducted in Beirut.

January 27: Gorbachev proposes new reforms for elections that would give the Russian people a greater say. However he makes it clear that he is staying within Communism.

March 30: British PM Margaret Thatcher arrives in Moscow to large crowds.

April 10: President Kennedy refuses to stop bugging the Soviet embassy in Washington, stating that “peace has been my focus with the Soviets, but we need to be pragmatic here as well.” The Soviet’s also bug the US embassy in Moscow.

April 15: President Kennedy and Gorbachev agree to remove all short and medium range nuclear missiles from Europe. In America hawks go mad, some going as far to call Kennedy “a traitor!” (Senator Jesse Helms).

May 1: New laws in the Soviet Union allow for the creation of small businesses. This is met with long lines of men and women registering for an opportunity to prosper and take advantage of this new capitalism.

May 17: A poll conducted by West German conservative’s shows that far more would rather work with the East and West then just the West.

May 26: The Soviet Union stops jamming Voice of America broadcasts.

May 28: A West German flies a plane from Helsinki to Moscow without being detected. This causes Gorbachev to replace many of his defense ministers.

June 15: Speaking in Berlin, President Kennedy states “Mr. Gorbachev, let’s end this war!”

June 17: American Television Correspondent Charles Glass is abducted in Beirut.

July 4: Vice-President Lloyd Bentsen declares his candidacy for the Presidency.

July 31: A protest by Iranian’s in Mecca leads to a Police Riot leaving over 400 dead.

August 1-2: Iranians attack the Kuwaiti and Saudi Embassy. Thousands protest their support for the Iraqi regime, and call for the abdication of the Al Saud family.

August 3: Former Senator Gary Hart of Colorado announces his challenge to Bentsen for the Democratic nomination. His first major endorsement comes from Mo Udall.

August 6: The Sandinista regime is on the brink of victory against the Contras. Several anti-communist groups in the US urge President Kennedy to intervene on their behalf, but he strongly declines. Bill Kristol calls this “yet another example of the President pushing to the left instead of pushing back. We have a blatant example of a murderous Communist regime in our backyard, and we are doing nothing to help those opposed to it.”

August 17: Rudolf Hess is found dead in his prison cell.

August 19: Mexico and Venezuela stop delivering oil to Nicaragua, as the nation has been unable to pay for it.

August 19: In England a man kills 17, including his mother and himself.

August 23: Protests against Soviet domination occur in Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

September 17: Reverend Pat Robertson declares his candidacy for the Presidency in Harlem.

October 10: Reverend Jesse Jackson declares his candidacy for the Presidency, stating that “Mr. Bentsen does not share my views, my values, and my beliefs. It’s that simple, and for those that agree with me they need a real choice.”

November 15: Thousands march in Romania in protest over the regime. While they sack the local communist party headquarters, they are soon dispersed.

December 8: In Australia, a postal service worker kills several colleagues before jumping to his death.

December 10: President Kennedy and Mikhail Gorbachev sign the SALT III, the culmination of their long negotiations. It will reduce both nations nuclear capacities by 8%, while also removing tactical nukes from Europe and including a “promise” not to attempt to intervene in third-world regimes to advance either ideology.

December 17: Czechoslovakia’s communist party leader steps down to allow younger members a chance at power. 

December 31: By the end of the year the GOP’s presidential field has expanded to nine candidates. The early frontrunners are Rep. Jack Kemp of New York, Senator Nancy Kassebaum of Kansas, and Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana. Dark Horses include Pat Robertson, Phil Crane, Pierre du Pont, and Tom Kean. Representative Ron Paul of Texas and Senator Paul Laxalt of Nevada are both viewed as unlikely to make much of an impact.

Historico
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »

A Quayle vs. Bentsen 1988 Election would be epic(I expect for some very Dukakisian gaffes to happen during that General election campaign lol)...Could you possible to two posts like your usual Installments just focusing on the Primaries and the General Election, then do the calendar style focusing on Kennedy's last year? Although Im a big fan of Senator Kassembaum(she should be a shoe in for '92)...Keep it comming
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »

A Quayle vs. Bentsen 1988 Election would be epic(I expect for some very Dukakisian gaffes to happen during that General election campaign lol)...Could you possible to two posts like your usual Installments just focusing on the Primaries and the General Election, then do the calendar style focusing on Kennedy's last year? Although Im a big fan of Senator Kassembaum(she should be a shoe in for '92)...Keep it comming

sure, i'll definately do two posts. I'll include primary results in the tl style post also, as i belive that it makes it a little more powerful.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 05:30:30 PM »

1988 Democratic Primaries

The clear frontrunner entering the 1988 Democratic Primary season was Vice-President Lloyd Bentsen. Bentsen had the support of many party regulars, as well as the tacit support of President Kennedy. However with both Hart and Jackson in the race some saw the possibility of an upset. Yet the biggest factor holding back Bentsen’s ascension to the nomination was his own voting record in congress and the fact that Jackson and Hart provided excuses to liberal organizations to hold off on endorsements. After all, Bentsen was by no means a liberal and in many ways was part of the party’s conservative wing.

Bentsen had routinely received failing grades from the ADA and the AFL-CIO, while paving a hawkish foreign policy record, a business-friendly attitude, and opposition to key liberal legislation. He had voted against both the Bayh Amendment which would guarantee government funding for low-income women to receive abortions, as well as CHIP. However Bentsen would quickly move to the left, and use his suave Texas demeanor to do it well: “I am a strong supporter of a woman’s right to choose, and Roe vs. Wade. My opposition to my colleague and go friend, Senator Bayh’s, amendment is due to my belief that the federal government should no expressly support the decision to have an abortion. That is up to the woman, and the government shouldn’t get involved either way.” On Health Care: “My opposition to CHIP was, I admit, wrong. At the time I saw it as a gross expansion of the federal government over an issue that I did not believe was so crucial. However after campaigning with President Kennedy in Middle America, I saw that reform was critical. I am proud today to say that I support CHIP and I will support continued health care reform when needed.”

Bentsen’s primary criticism came from the left. Reverend Jesse Jackson received the support of several liberal organizations, including NARAL, the Teacher’s Union, and most environmental groups. Jackson attacked Bentsen as “a one-time conservative who suddenly has decided that the liberal suit fits him a little better. That’s not good enough for the Democratic Party, and we can do better.” Jackson ran on support for single-payer health care, a national quota system, and the President’s environmental plan (all things Bentsen either opposed or refused to take a position on.) Former Senator Gary Hart also attacked Bentsen, citing his “refusal to stand by his past votes and beliefs. This shows a lack of character, perhaps the most important aspect of a President.” Hart targeted liberal “outsiders” who opposed the party establishment, were new to the party, or were rivals with the Kennedy’s. However he also ran to the right of Jackson, opposing “radical increases in spending that will explode the deficit.”

Bentsen easily won the Iowa caucuses, in large part due to his support from farmers. The NFU (national farmers union) strongly supported Bentsen and helped deliver him a wide margin of victory. In New Hampshire Bentsen would also prevail, albeit with a much closer margin over Hart. In South Carolina Bentsen would find his first defeat, falling to Jackson. Hart would withdraw after this contest. Bentsen would go on to spar with Jackson, who won states with heavily black and liberal demographics such as Maryland and Illinois, along with sweeping the Deep South. The key showdown would be in New York, where Jackson’s support from blacks and liberals would go up against Bentsen’s support from the party establishment. Polls showed that Jackson was leading due to strong grassroots organization in the black and Hispanic communities, as well as a lack of excitement towards Bentsen. However just two days before the primary, Bentsen would find his ace in the hole. President Kennedy had failed to endorse any candidates, instead holding to his line of “I will endorse whoever wins the nomination.” However on April 17, in front of a massive crowd in Rich Stadium (the home of the Buffalo Bills) President Kennedy would deliver the death knell to Jackson’s campaign: “I am here today to offer my 100% support and official endorsement to Vice-President Lloyd Bentsen, the next man to represent the Democratic Party on the ballot, and the next President of the United States!” Kennedy’s endorsement would lead to Bentsen winning by 7 points, and Jackson’s ultimate defeat.

At the convention, Bentsen would have a difficult choice to make. Jackson had yet to endorse him, and many black voters were discontent with the middle-of-the road Texan. He knew that he would have to choose a liberal to balance the ticket, but the question was who. Many hoped for Jackson, due to his large base of votes. But Bentsen would be swayed by the President himself and choose Julian Bond, Kennedy’s Secretary of HUD. Bond was a staunch liberal, young, and a popular leader in the black community. Bond’s stirring “Rainbow Coalition” speech would fire up and unite the convention, giving Bentsen the momentum he so desperately needed heading into the general election.
Historico
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

Awesome update HC, nice to see that Bentsen vs. Jackson wasn't the all out Blood Bath that it would be, and HUD Secretary even got the bid to become the First African American ever nominated for Vice President by any of the two major party! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the GOP Side, Keep it Comming

Here's my map for the Democratic Primaries, based on Jackson's OTL Performance in '88 and my assumption that Jesse kept the fight up all the way to June.

Go Quayle!!!!
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »

Awesome update HC, nice to see that Bentsen vs. Jackson wasn't the all out Blood Bath that it would be, and HUD Secretary even got the bid to become the First African American ever nominated for Vice President by any of the two major party! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the GOP Side, Keep it Comming

Here's my map for the Democratic Primaries, based on Jackson's OTL Performance in '88 and my assumption that Jesse kept the fight up all the way to June.

Go Quayle!!!!

Nice job, but I feel that Bentsen would do better in New England. And yes, it could have been much worese. Actually there is still a lot of tension between the black community and the Kennedy's.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 05:56:49 PM »

1988 Republican Primaries

For the GOP, the battle for the nomination was a true example of the rise of the right within the GOP. However the division within the right was also a major theme of this campaign. The early front runners for the race were Senators Dan Quayle of Indiana and Nancy Kassebaum of Kansas, as well as Rep. Jack Kemp of upstate New York. Both Quayle and Kemp represented the party's right wing. Kemp represented the "old right", focused on fiscal responsibility, tax cuts to stimulate growth, and a tougher foreign policy. However Kemp also had a strong focus on reliving poverty by creating economic growth in impoverished areas. This ran counter to many in the "New Right", who feared any expansion of the War on Poverty, even if it was only to create free enterprise zones and tax cuts.

Speaking of the New Right, they were divided over several voices, some new and some old. Senator Quayle had become a favorite of the New Right due to his staunch opposition to President Kennedy's government programs, along with his victory over Vance Hartke, a die hard liberal (Dick Lugar defeated Birch Bayh ITTL). Quayle would focus his campaign on "supply-side economics", essentially tax cuts combined with domestic spending cuts and military spending increases to increase economic growth. Quayle would also attack Kemp for "collaborating with the enemy". However this quote, made in December of 1987 in a interview with Dan Rather, would greatly wound Quayle as many saw him as "slightly out of wack" (Ronald Reagan).

The third frontrunner, Senator Kassebaum, was in many ways the last voice from the middle for the GOP on a Presidential stage. Kassebaum's campaign initially started with little press as conservatives saw her as too moderate and moderate's were unsure if she could win. However with the endorsements of former President Richard Nixon and former Vice-President Howard Baker, the Kansas Senator became an instant force. Kassebaum focused her campaign on fiscal responsibility and creating economic growth, two very popular beliefs after generations of big government. Kassebaum also made clear her support for CHIP and various other popular domestic programs.

Of course these weren't the only candidates in the race. Reverend Pat Robertson was a favorite of the Christian Right, while Representative Phil Crane still held onto some conservative support. Governor's Tom Kean and Pierre du Pont ran from the center as well, but gained little traction from a shrinking constituency. Finally, Senator Paul Laxalt and Representative Ron Paul received a lot of press (Laxalt due to the endorsement from Ronald Reagan, Paul due to his radical views), but received little support in the polls.

The first primary race was the Iowa Caucuses. Here the race was locked in a three-way tie between Kassebaum, Kemp, and Quayle. Kassebaum would prevail, with Kemp narrowly in second, while the real shock was Robertson's victory over Quayle for the third spot. Next, in New Hampshire, Kemp would score a win over Kassebaum, but once again Robertson would upset Quayle. The Hoosier state Senator would withdraw at this point, as did Laxalt, Kean, and du Pont. From this point on the battle would be between Kassebaum and Kemp, with Robertson winning in the south, and Crane and Paul attacking all from the right. The Super Tuesday showdowns would decide the race, with Kassebaum scoring the key win in Florida. This would put her on top, and Kemp would soon withdraw. Robertson would withdraw in April, with Crane soon after and finally Paul at the convention. Nancy Kassebaum would the first female Presidential nominee of a major party. She would choose South Carolina Governor Carroll Campbell to balance the ticket. However several commentators made the point that "this was the first female Presidential ticket."
Historico
United States

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »

Ok lol with all those candidates Im going to have strategerize how to plan out how that Primary map looked. Nice to Madame Kassembaum win the nomination to become the first Woman nominated for POTUS by either of the two-major parties. I have a feeling this 1988 Reace is going to be hella close, and im interested to see how the electoral math will play out. Bentsen may fill the role of TTL's Gore's campaign...A dull, Southern Vice-President trying to run on the tails of their more popular incumbent but can't even win his own homestate.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2009, 07:40:52 PM by hcallega »

1988 Presidential Election

The race for the White House in 1988 pitted two moderates in a fight to the finish. For the most part, neither candidate could pull away, as both were engulfed in a relatively passive battle. For the most part the two candidates agreed on everything from abortion, to health care, to the economy. Therefore the campaign’s focus shifted from a fight over the issues to a fight over leadership, reputation, and electability.
“For the past eight years this administration has fought it’s hardest to ensure that America never gets out of debt, that we never see a balanced budget, and that we never break free from this spending induced boom bust cycle.” Senator Kassebaum’s words did not fall on def ears. Polls showed that the nation’s biggest focus was on the complete lack of fiscal discipline in Washington, and voters were sick of the welfare state. However on most everything else they saw President Kennedy as having done a solid job. The economy was doing quite well, while the Cold War was now a simmer. Poverty was low, wages were high, and the AIDS and Crack Epidemics were being attacked head on. Bentsen would attempt to build off of his fellow Democrat’s success, stating that “after 12 years of Republican leadership we fought back, and we have put this nation back on the right course.”
Bentsen’s campaign also addressed the issue of spending: “Lloyd Bentsen has worked long and hard for the people of the United States of America. As a senator, he was routinely one of the most moderate faces in Washington. His colleagues praised him as smart, committed, and willing to work with the other side. The same Republicans who are calling him tax-and-spend liberal once called him Washington’s Watchdog. And they were right.” Bentsen also pledged to cut spending on wasteful programs, reform welfare, and balance the federal budget by the end of his first term. Kassebaum pledged to balance the budget in her second year, and to put a spending freeze on programs “siphoning money away from the taxpayers.” She also stated “the only increases that you will see with me will be for our soldiers and for programs that will get this economy fired up!”
The Presidential debates would end up being extra important this year. Both sides focused on their plans for the future, rather than the past. Bentsen outlined his “deficit neutral” plans, as well as his focus on “continuing to limit federal involvement in the private sector.” Kassebaum called that “bologna. The reality is that Mr. Bentsen will keep on keeping on, doing the same things that President Kennedy has that have us in a record deficit.” Nonetheless, most pundits blamed Bentsen for failing to emphasis his connection with Kennedy in the debates, and coming off as “the typical southern moderate, nothing special, nothing presidential” (Jules Witcover, THE YEAR TO WIN). The polls entering election day gave Kassebaum a two point lead, and would not fail to be accurate, as the Kansas Senator would capture the White House with some room to spare.

Kassebaum/Campbell ® 302. 51% of the Popular Vote
Bentsen/Bond (D) 236. 49% of the Popular
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:12 PM »

Fixed Smiley

1988 Presidential Election

The race for the White House in 1988 pitted two moderates in a fight to the finish. For the most part, neither candidate could pull away, as both were engulfed in a relatively passive battle. For the most part the two candidates agreed on everything from abortion, to health care, to the economy. Therefore the campaign’s focus shifted from a fight over the issues to a fight over leadership, reputation, and electability.

“For the past eight years this administration has fought it’s hardest to ensure that America never gets out of debt, that we never see a balanced budget, and that we never break free from this spending induced boom bust cycle.” Senator Kassebaum’s words did not fall on def ears. Polls showed that the nation’s biggest focus was on the complete lack of fiscal discipline in Washington, and voters were sick of the welfare state. However on most everything else they saw President Kennedy as having done a solid job. The economy was doing quite well, while the Cold War was now a simmer. Poverty was low, wages were high, and the AIDS and Crack Epidemics were being attacked head on. Bentsen would attempt to build off of his fellow Democrat’s success, stating that “after 12 years of Republican leadership we fought back, and we have put this nation back on the right course.”

Bentsen’s campaign also addressed the issue of spending: “Lloyd Bentsen has worked long and hard for the people of the United States of America. As a senator, he was routinely one of the most moderate faces in Washington. His colleagues praised him as smart, committed, and willing to work with the other side. The same Republicans who are calling him tax-and-spend liberal once called him Washington’s Watchdog. And they were right.” Bentsen also pledged to cut spending on wasteful programs, reform welfare, and balance the federal budget by the end of his first term. Kassebaum pledged to balance the budget in her second year, and to put a spending freeze on programs “siphoning money away from the taxpayers.” She also stated “the only increases that you will see with me will be for our soldiers and for programs that will get this economy fired up!”

The Presidential debates would end up being extra important this year. Both sides focused on their plans for the future, rather than the past. Bentsen outlined his “deficit neutral” plans, as well as his focus on “continuing to limit federal involvement in the private sector.” Kassebaum called that “bologna. The reality is that Mr. Bentsen will keep on keeping on, doing the same things that President Kennedy has that have us in a record deficit.” Nonetheless, most pundits blamed Bentsen for failing to emphasis his connection with Kennedy in the debates, and coming off as “the typical southern moderate, nothing special, nothing presidential” (Jules Witcover, THE YEAR TO WIN). The polls entering election day gave Kassebaum a two point lead, and would not fail to be accurate, as the Kansas Senator would capture the White House with some room to spare.

Kassebaum/Campbell ® 302. 51% of the Popular Vote
Bentsen/Bond (D) 236. 49% of the Popular
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »

I'm shifting back to my old format because I'm getting a little bored with this tl
The First Term of President Nancy Kassebaum

Entering her first term two major issues were at the heart of President Nancy Kassebaum's agenda: the deficit and bringing an end to the Cold War. After all, voters certainly didn't choose her because of a lack of prosperity or international peace. Therefore, in her inaugural address the new President chose to focus on being "an aggressive caretaker" who would "kick Washington's spending habits" and "end the conflict that has defined this generation for better or for worse: the Cold War."

Therefore, Kassebaum's first 100 days initiate was quite moderate: across the board spending cuts, a willingness to except tax hikes, welfare reform, and a major new civil rights bill for the disabled. These drew much praise from Democrats, yet Republicans were far more skeptical: "we've waited eight years for this?" (Newt Gingrich). However all of these plans were passed as the need to cut the deficit over took the needs of many special interest groups. However the spending cuts were minimized, as Republicans were reluctant to cut defense spending and Democrats domestic spending. The only other major domestic initiatives by the first female President was the appointments of David Souter and Sandra Day O'Connor to the Supreme Court, both what she called "traditional justices." Kassebaum would also negotiate and pass NAFTA between the US, Canada, and Mexico.

In foreign policy Kassebaum would be slightly more aggressive. She would intervene in Panama after the CIA reported that they were spying for Castro and funneling drugs into the US. She would also deploy US troops to the Persian Gulf after Iraq invaded Kuwait. US troops would successfully push out the Iraqis. Kassebaum made it clear that "The United States will not invade Iraq. It is not my goal, nor the goal of the United States, to go on a nation building mission." But Kassebaum's greatest accomplishment was overseeing the end of the Soviet Union. A bloodless coup would lead to the overthrow of Gorbachev by military leaders, which in turn would lead to mass protests and the overthrow of the government. Boris Yeltsin would take power, and free elections would be held. Kassebaum would call this "the culmination of a generation of hard work, and the greatest moment of my political career."
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »

1988 Senate Race: No net change
1988 House Race: Republican Gain of Majority
1990 House: Democrats Gain Majority
1990 Senate: No net change
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »

Please fix this page. It's wide.
Historico
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 01:18:26 AM »

Yeah, Wide posts are annoying...HC you need to fix you img code to straighten it out I think, but nice little snippet about Nancy's 1st term which should see her a second term in 1992 if she's been able to get the economy back on track. I could definatley see the Democrats trying to catch fire again with Working Class Kennedy Democrats...and might nominate Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvannia to sure up Catholic Voters. Also might former HUD Secretary and 1988 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee, with more visibility IOTL might win the Georgia Gubernatorial election in 1990 to set up for a run in 1996...Keep it comming
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »

It's awesome to see both father and daughter to gain a presidential nod in history. Nancy was of course much more successfull than Alf Grin
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »

Sorry about the wide post. I didn't show up like that for me. Anyway, on to the good stuff!

1992 Democratic Primaries

The quest for the Presidency in 1992 began with a smaller than usual Democratic field. The early frontrunner was '88 VEEP Julian Bond. However Bond balked at the idea of running for President: "My focus right now isn't on the White House. It's on being a good family man, on working on the issues that I'm most concerned about, and neither of those things are made any easier by running for the Presidency of the United States." Interestingly, Bond would go on to successfully win the race for Georgia's 11th District in the House of Representatives and would go on to become the co-Chair of the Congressional Black Caucus with John Lewis, as well as the Democratic Whip in the House beginning in 2004. 

Without Bond, the next most likely front runners were Governors Mario Cuomo and Bob Casey. Yet both men also declined to run, do in large part due President Kassebaum's popularity. Other candidates who declined to run were Rep. Dick Gephardt, Sen. Al Gore, Sen. Bill Bradley, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, and Gov. Doug Wilder.

Therefore, the final field was substantially weaker than usual: Governor Bill Clinton of Arkansas, former Senator Gary Hart of Colorado, Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, Senator Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts, and Reverend Jesse Jackson. Jackson polled out in front early on, but Hart would begin to gain traction as a progressive with new ideas. Hart called his campaign theme "New Ideas", and focused on education reform, greater American economic strength, and a greater role for America in the Middle East. Jackson would counter with his "Rainbow Coalition" focusing on greater social justice programs and single-payer health care.

The first round of the primaries would occur in Iowa, as always. However this race featured little contest, as Senator Harkin would easily claim his home state. New Hampshire would be far more interesting, as Hart, Jackson, and Tsongas were locked in a three way tie. In the debates, Jackson would attack both Tsongas and Hart for "forgetting what the Democratic Parties all about: the little guy. It's about the working people. I mean the real working people who are barely scrapping by. You fellas want to talk about the professionals who don't vote Democrat: I want to talk about the folks who do, because they deserve a voice." Hart would fire back: "The honorable reverend is right: the poor and working class deserve a voice. But so do the people whose parents voted for Roosevelt and JFK. They benefited from the Democratic programs of the past, but they don't want to see their hard work get taxed away. We need to think about all Americans and be the party for all Americans once again. I want to do that, and quite simply Reverend Jackson doesn't."

The end result would prove that perhaps Hart was right: He would narrowly win a three way race 30-27-24 over Jackson and Tsongas. From that point on, the race would become a showdown between Hart and Jackson. Jackson would do strongly in the Deep South and states with large African-American majorities. He would even carry New York, the state that had denied him the nomination in 1988. However Hart would do very well both among traditional Democratic groups and new democrats. The race would hinge on California, where Hart's support from the Democratic establishment would lead to his victory. This time, Jackson would be much more gracious in defeat: "You know, four years ago a lot of you thought that I had been cheated out a win in New York. Today I can tell you that just as in 1988, my opponent has won fair and square. I strongly endorse Mr. Hart of Colorado, as he is a true Democrat, and a true friend of the Rainbow Coalition. The most important thing all of you can do is to work as hard as you can for Gary Hart and to vote in November for the Democratic Party!"

At the convention, Hart would select Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, a pro-lifer, as his VEEP to help sure up Reagan Democrats and Social Conservatives against the pro-choice President Kassebaum.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2009, 07:39:33 PM »

Yeah, your code isn't working. You need to put a bracket before the img] in your first post.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2009, 05:00:44 PM »

So I’m really getting bored with this TL (Kennedy and Nixon were fun, but the butterflies are getting boring), so here is my summary issue:

1992: Hart defeats Kassebaum largely due to the recession and his energetic personality. Also, Nixon Aide Pat Buchanan challenges Kassebaum as a third party candidate in the general election, helping to throw several states to the Hart campaign.

Hart’s Term: Hart governs quite well, stimulating economic growth, signing NAFTA, and passing CHIP reform focused at reducing waste and adding in several liberal provisions. The bill was written by the Senate’s liberal lion, Walter Mondale. Hart also increases domestic spending slightly, while cutting defense spending. His approval ratings are as high as President Nixon’s at the end of his term. Speaking of Nixon, he dies and his White House tapes are released. Also released in information about CREEP, revealing the Watergate scandal. His reputation is permanently tarnished. In 1995, Newsweek publishes a story about an alleged affair between Hart and Donna Rice, as well as several other women on international trips since being elected President. The Republicans in congress attempt to impeach him, unsuccessfully. But Hart’s reputation is tarnished, especially in his lackluster response to the allegations: “I didn’t do anything wrong, believe me!” Hart decides not to run for reelection.

1996: Casey is defeated by Governor Doug Wilder of Virginia in the Democratic Primaries. Gore is in turn defeated by former Governor Lamar Alexander of Tennessee in the general election.

Alexander’s term: Alexander has a fairly center-right term. The economy goes through unprecedented growth; he balances the budget, and increases the US’s role internationally, especially in Eastern Europe. He also delivers on greater deregulation, tax cuts, and less government spending.

2000: Alexander defeats Rep. Dick Gephardt in the general election by a sound margin, one of the largest since the days of Nixon.

Alexander’s Term: Alexander once again governs from the right, but fails at his major attempt at privatizing social security and ending the employer mandate for CHIP. 9/11 changes his term however. He invades Afghanistan, and makes clear that any nation supporting terrorism will be punished. In 2003, Syria is invaded for evidence of funding Al Qaeda. Israel joins in the invasion, leading to regional chaos. The war in Syria dominates public opinion and by 2004 many Americans are doubting whether we should have invaded them. Also, the economy is slumping.

2004: Governor Howard Dean, an opponent of the war, wins the Democratic nomination and defeats Alexander’s VP John McCain in the general election by a narrow margin.

Dean’s term: Dean withdraws from Syria and requests Israel to do the same, which they do not. Dean also is able to successfully pass Single-Payer Health Care and strong environmental reform, while staying away from other hot button issues like abortion and gun control.

2008: Dean defeats Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee with a “mandate”

2009: Dean continues to take a liberal approach, and announces the US withdrawl from Afghanistan, as well as a stimulus package for the growing recession.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »

HC, I felt kind, and bored at the same time so here's a list of Presidents Smiley

Presidents of the United States

37. Richard Nixon (R-CA): January 20, 1969 – January 20, 1977
38. John Connally (R-TX): January 20, 1977 – January 20, 1981
39. Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA): January 20, 1981 – January 20, 1989
40. Nancy Kassebaum (R-KA): January 20, 1989 – January 20, 1993
41. Gary Hart (D-CO): January 20, 1993 – January 20, 1997
42. Lamar Alexander (R-TN): January 20, 1997 – January 20, 2005
43. Howard Dean (D-VT): January 20, 2005 – Present Day
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length