World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World Without Watergate: The Ultimate Version  (Read 21362 times)
Historico
United States

« on: November 21, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »

Looking forward to the '76 election...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »

Wow, talk about really opening the field HC...Can't wait to see who the nominee's are...I really want to see Conally/Brooke or Connally/Percy take the nod on the GOP. For the Democrats(I want to set Teddy up for 1980) probably Mo Udall to take the Dark Horse void left by Carter lol...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:12:59 AM »

Nice sized win the Connally/Baker ticket...Can't wait to see how that "King of Me" Texan is going to handle the Crisies of the late 1970's. Also if Teddy's planning on starting to run in 1980 from the start, he's going to work hard to atleat make it so that his family life is order. Keep TTL comming.
Historico
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

Hmm, Interesting situation with a lack of Iranian Hostage Crisis...Things should be pretty interesting and it seems like we may have another Cuban Missle Crisis over the Persian Gulf and Afghanistan with the Soviets. I also wasn't expecting for Connally to be such a Neo-Isolationist, can't wait to see what happens in the election...Keep it comming.
Historico
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »

Wasn't expecting The election to be so close, but if Teddy campaign style was simmilar to how it was IOTL, it's probably pretty realistic. Assuming that Teddy doesn't fall to the same fate as in my timeline lol, I wonder if Teddy and Joan's relationship is going to continue to deteroriate in the White House eventhough they may decide just to hold up appearances of a happy marriage in Public. I could actually see a situation where Joan, A Powerful Campaigner and Activist in her own right, will take an Eleanor/Hillary approach to her husband's womanizing.

I am more concered about the state of the economy in the next four years...You didn't mention that Volcker had been replaced by Connally in his Presidency, so it's probably going to remain in rough shape for most of Teddy's first term. Even if he manages to get him in upon arriving, Volcker's approach toward Monetary will probably plunge the nation into a deep recession later IOTL, so that by re-election we could still be in very big trouble. Maybe Teddy's able to get the Full-Employment Act passed which will alievate alot of help, Public Works etc...Should be very interesting to see lol...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »

Awesome look at the first half of Teddy's term...With me not being as knowledgable on economics like I should be, Im not sure what effect will the lowered intrest rates, full employment act and price controls will have on the National Economy. I would assume we will have alot of years of suboptimal growth. Supply side economics will be a big sweetner if the GOP embraces it, Maybe will get a Kemp or Dupont Presidency ITTL>.
Historico
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:12 PM »

Any news about what Candidates on the GOP side, annouced their candidacy and what's been Kennedy's yearly approval ratings going into reelection? Also did Mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk still get assassinated by Dan White ITTL...Can't wait to see what you have in store for the 1984 election(I kinda wish you returned back to the textbook format, seems like you can flesh out the details of the administartion a little bit more)...Keep it comming HC
Historico
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »

Crane in '88!!lol, I expected for the '84 election to not be a cakewalk for Teddy, hopefully things have turned around enough for the 39th President to get some of his Domestic Agenda  Congress
Historico
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

Yeah initially for purely political reasons, but also because since meeting the Pope in 1981 he became much more religous, and while still being pro-choice is working hard to get the marriage to work. Also it would look really sh**tty for a divorce, even if he has already been relected.

I would actually like to see Teddy and Joan take on more of an Clintonian Relationship; could we maybe get some info if Joan has taken more of an activist First Ladydom? She may tack a wack at running for Teddy's old Seat in Massachusetts after '89. With Rock Hudson's death, I imagine Teddy would attempt to use it to get a sweeping Sexual Orientaion Act through Congress..
Historico
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:46:06 PM »

A Quayle vs. Bentsen 1988 Election would be epic(I expect for some very Dukakisian gaffes to happen during that General election campaign lol)...Could you possible to two posts like your usual Installments just focusing on the Primaries and the General Election, then do the calendar style focusing on Kennedy's last year? Although Im a big fan of Senator Kassembaum(she should be a shoe in for '92)...Keep it comming
Historico
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »

Awesome update HC, nice to see that Bentsen vs. Jackson wasn't the all out Blood Bath that it would be, and HUD Secretary even got the bid to become the First African American ever nominated for Vice President by any of the two major party! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the GOP Side, Keep it Comming

Here's my map for the Democratic Primaries, based on Jackson's OTL Performance in '88 and my assumption that Jesse kept the fight up all the way to June.

Go Quayle!!!!
Historico
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »

Ok lol with all those candidates Im going to have strategerize how to plan out how that Primary map looked. Nice to Madame Kassembaum win the nomination to become the first Woman nominated for POTUS by either of the two-major parties. I have a feeling this 1988 Reace is going to be hella close, and im interested to see how the electoral math will play out. Bentsen may fill the role of TTL's Gore's campaign...A dull, Southern Vice-President trying to run on the tails of their more popular incumbent but can't even win his own homestate.
Historico
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 01:18:26 AM »

Yeah, Wide posts are annoying...HC you need to fix you img code to straighten it out I think, but nice little snippet about Nancy's 1st term which should see her a second term in 1992 if she's been able to get the economy back on track. I could definatley see the Democrats trying to catch fire again with Working Class Kennedy Democrats...and might nominate Governor Bob Casey of Pennsylvannia to sure up Catholic Voters. Also might former HUD Secretary and 1988 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee, with more visibility IOTL might win the Georgia Gubernatorial election in 1990 to set up for a run in 1996...Keep it comming
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies