A Rendevous with Destiny: The Election of Barry Goldwater
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:33:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Rendevous with Destiny: The Election of Barry Goldwater
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: A Rendevous with Destiny: The Election of Barry Goldwater  (Read 30475 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:17:09 PM »
« edited: July 05, 2010, 07:06:41 PM by Metal Mario »

*Note: Like Kal's McGovern Timeline I realize this is not really possible, but please folks don't be killjoys.*

Extremism in Defense of Liberty IS NO VICE!

With those words pundits all around the country immediately called the Goldwater campaign "doomed to defeat", that due to the good economy and Kennedy Legacy that President Lyndon Baines Johnson was assured victory.

However, events that occur within the general election season would greatly change how election night 1964 would turn out.

The first of these was the escalation of the Vietnam War done by the Johnson Administration.  Although the Vietnam War was not unpopular, the American people generally approved of the withdrawal strategy that had been in place by President Kennedy, Johnson's predecessor in the White House.  On July 30th, an "anonymous source" from the Johnson administration's foreign policy meetings leaked information to the public about plans from the administration to "create an incident in the Gulf of Tonkin by which the cause of escalation can be carried out."  Americans were outraged at the revelation that the President had been planning to "willingly propagate the war" and with some pundits saying comparing President Lyndon Johnson's foreign policy regarding Vietnam as "akin to James Polk, who used the lives of American boys to propagate the means by which to annex Texas."
Barry Goldwater, although considered the more hardline of the two on Vietnam, continually campaigned on "getting our boys back home as soon as possible", which in light of the recent revelations of the Johnson Administration helped him win some otherwise unlikely peace votes.

And if that were not enough, Barry Goldwater, despite his "extremism" statement at the convention, mended ways with former Republican President Dwight Eisenhower, calling him "a great President, friend, leader, and most of all a great American".  As a result President Eisenhower lent his endorsement and full support during the election, a move that pressured even some of Goldwater's most bitter rivals within the GOP, including Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York (one of his opponents during the primary season), to go on the campaign trail to actively campaign for Goldwater (including a statement by Rockefeller that he would "stand behind this ticket all the way to election day").  This newfound unity between moderate and conservative Republicans would greatly help Goldwater's chances, with some pundits even proclaiming "with the GOP united behind it's presidential nominee as well as recent controversies surrounding the Johnson Administration's foreign policy, Barry Goldwater might just give the President one hell of an electoral battle come election day."

Also, Goldwater, as a result of the recent disillusionment of the American people over the Johnson Administration's attempt to propagate an incident in the Gulf of Tonkin, was experiencing a sudden groundswell of support amongst conservatives, independents, and even liberals due to what many perceive to be the "peace" candidate effect.  Although Goldwater had supported going as far as using nuclear weapons against North Vietnam, many Americans saw him as the "lesser of evils" and the man "to keep America out of war".  Many Hollywood celebrities would also come out in support of Barry Goldwater, including the likes of John Wayne and a most exceptional 28 minute tv spot by former General Electric spokesman Ronald Reagan.  Reagan's 28 minute spot, dubbed by many as "A Time for Choosing" would be watched by millions of Americans in the evening.  The speech, which was a loud criticism of how liberal policies have devalued the American dollar and brought upon untold levels of taxation on the American people, resonates loudly with the American public.  His speech was so widely acclaimed that many pundits would claim "if any one man should be given credit for the rise of modern day American conservatism it's Ronald Reagan."

To counter the backlash against him due to his Vietnam policies, Johnson tried to portray Goldwater as a racist for voting against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  To counter this ploy by Johnson, Goldwater's campaign shot the now infamous "Daisy" ad, and ad that showed Barry Goldwater at his campaign headquarters with the camera showing a headquarters that had a cultural diversity of campaign volunteers with "Goldwater" buttons on their lapels.  At the end of the video, a young black woman named Daisy Goodard, while carrying her half white son announces to the camera: "My name is Daisy Goodard and I support Barry Goldwater."  The video of a black woman, with her interracial child, announcing support for the supposedly racist Goldwater, as well as the shots of the very culturally diverse Goldwater for President headquarters, in the words of William Buckley "made Johnson look like a desperate fool."
Even though it didn't put Goldwater anywhere near capturing the black vote, it went miles in gaining support from conservative, moderate, and independent voters who were in favor of desegregation who felt offput by Goldwater's vote against the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Feeling energized by his sudden surge in approval, Goldwater would challenge LBJ to a televised debate to be held a few weeks before election, just like Kennedy-Nixon debates held four years prior.  Johnson, feeling that he would be perceived as a coward for rejecting the invitation, accepted.  In mid October the televised debate would finally happen, with the moderator mainly focusing on the foreign policy and economic differences of the opponents.  Throughout the debate many viewers would observe as the solemn looking blunt Johnson would debate the more tactful cheerful Goldwater.  Also unique in this election was a question an audience member asked about gay rights in the military:

Johnson: At this point in time, it is most important to keep troop morale high.  Therefore, I cannot compromise the morale of our troops by allowing amorous feelings to exist.
Goldwater: All I ask of our men and women in uniform is that they be able to shoot straight (audience chuckles).  The only requirement that I ask of these men in uniform, whether they be white, black, straight, gay, is that they be willing to give their lives in the service of this nation.

Although not a very critical issue at the time, Goldwater's humor on the issue would endear him to the gay community.
When polled on the televised debate, a majority of the TV audience felt like Goldwater won the debate, while those listening on radio felt like Johnson had won the debate.  Just like in 1960, it seemed that appearance was important to debate.

But the worst was yet to come for the Johnson Campaign, as just a week before the election, one of the biggest bombshell's in presidential election history happened:

A former FBI agent by the name of Richard Giordiano appeared before the press and revealed that "for the previous two years, I under the orders of the former Attorney General Robert Kennedy, as well as President Lyndon Johnson himself, have been wiretapping the Civil Rights activist and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. and other prominent political figures.  I apologize to the American people for all the secrecy and lies that I have helped propagate as a result."  This revelation, that Robert Kennedy had ordered the bugging of Martin Luther King Jr. and others, caused a great uproar among the American public.  Almost overnight it seemed that the somewhat comfortable lead that President Johnson once enjoyed over Barry Goldwater was now neck in neck, with New York Senate challenger Robert Kennedy going from a slight lead to falling 10% behind his opponent Kenneth Keating.  It seemed as though the outbreak of controversy had destroyed the "Return to the Days of Camelot" and would make the presidential election much closer than what many pundits thought it would be just 4 months before.

"I'll be damned if I lose to that Jew son of a bitch"-Lyndon Johnson, while drinking with his advisors the night before the election.

In the days leading up to election day, Johnson would refuse to apologize to the American people for the wiretapping incident, claiming "it's a load of bull, I am not a snitch!  It's all that honery son of a gun mister lawyer boy Attorney General Bobbie Kennedy's fault!  I am innocent!  That son of a bitch thinks that just because he's a Kennedy that he's invincible? That he can get away with anything and let the blame fall on us? Well he's wrong!"  This sudden angry outburst by the President, in which he angrily defended his innocence before the press and defamed Robert Kennedy, would end up costing both him and RFK dearly.

Come election day, despite the controversies surrounding the Johnson Administration, liberals around the country were still hoping for a Johnson victory.

Election Day 1964:

Barry M. Goldwater (AZ)/William E. Miller (NY) Republican Party 49.8% pv 272 electoral votes
Lyndon Baines Johnson (TX)/Hubert Horatio Humprey (MN) 49.5% pv 266 electoral votes
Others: .7 pv

The election results, which resulted in the shocking defeat of LBJ, would end up being one of the closest election results in American history.  When all the votes were tallied up, Barry Goldwater beat Lyndon Baines Johnson by a little over 200,000 votes.  Wanting to avoid any further controversy, Lyndon Johnson would refuse calls from fellow Democrats to call for an investigation into possible election fraud, saying "that is not what Barry would do if the shoe was on the other foot."  In a rare scene, Lyndon Johnson would concede defeat at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, Texas:

"Defeat has never really been easy for me.  I have always prided myself on being the best at what I do, the best at all of life's accomplishments.  However, in this election season I have discovered that I, like any other man, are but mortal.  It is with the greatest humility that I hereby concede defeat to Barry Goldwater, the next president elect of these United States."

(cont.)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:22:09 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2010, 11:24:18 PM by Arizona Territorial Governor Lewis Owings »

Also, as a result of the recent revelations into the wiretapping of Martin Luther King Jr., Robert Kennedy would end up losing in a landslide to incumbent New York Senator Kenneth Keating.  It had seemed the glory of "Camelot" had seemed to fade away with the recent news of the wiretapping happening under the watch of the Kennedy brothers.

The last two months of LBJ's tenure in office would prove uneventful, as further probing into the wiretapping of Martin Luther King Jr. would prove inconclusive as to LBJ's role.  Eventually, no evidence would be found that linked LBJ to the wiretapping, clearing his name and repairing his image amongst the American people.  However, for the rest of his life, LBJ would become a very bitter man, taking a life of alcohol and smoking to take away the pain he felt at losing the 1964 election due to the actions of a rogue FBI agent and Robert Kennedy.  The relationship between him and the Kennedys would forever be shattered after his disparaging remarks about Bobby Kennedy during the election, and to this day the Kennedy family and the Johnson family do not talk.

History does not have fond memories of losers, and losers like Lyndon Johnson seem to suffer the worst.  The successor to the Kennedy Legacy, it would seem that in later years he more than anyone else would regret the Kennedy Legacy.

As shocking as the defeat of Lyndon Johnson was, so to was the election of Barry Goldwater.  The self-proclaimed "Mr. Conservative", just months ago was predicted as having a longshot at becoming president pulled off one of the biggest electoral upsets of all time.  The question on everybody's mind was: What next?

Barry Goldwater, president-elect of the United States of America
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:13:58 AM »

Wouldn't the election look more like this ? (I gave to Goldwater all the closest Johnson states until he had an EV majority)

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:24:43 AM »

Wouldn't the election look more like this ? (I gave to Goldwater all the closest Johnson states until he had an EV majority)

It could, but considering how different the campaign season turned out I figured the results state by state would be considerably different.  For example, with Eisenhower and other moderate GOP members campaigning for him, I see traditionally Republican states like Vermont and Maine staying loyal instead of overwhelmingly turning towards Johnson in response to the GOP becoming the party of the South.  In the campaign Goldwater's libertarian stance on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is more understood (and accepted) by normal GOP voters.  That isn't to say every GOP member voted Goldwater though, as you can see it cost him in states like Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
And some states, like Tennessee and Kentucky, I just wanted to have a surprising result
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »

Yes!!! Please, continue!!!
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:49 PM »

Awesome! Keep it up Mech! Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

It could, but considering how different the campaign season turned out I figured the results state by state would be considerably different.  For example, with Eisenhower and other moderate GOP members campaigning for him, I see traditionally Republican states like Vermont and Maine staying loyal instead of overwhelmingly turning towards Johnson in response to the GOP becoming the party of the South.  In the campaign Goldwater's libertarian stance on the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is more understood (and accepted) by normal GOP voters.  That isn't to say every GOP member voted Goldwater though, as you can see it cost him in states like Illinois, New York, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
And some states, like Tennessee and Kentucky, I just wanted to have a surprising result

Yeah, I see. waiting to see what will happen with President Goldwater.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »

The Lone Kennedy:

Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy recovering from his severe back injury

On election night 1964, Edward Kennedy was very concerned.  What had seemed like a walk in the park for the Democrats just months ago had now become a tossup election.  But at the moment he didn't find himself pondering over the fate of Lyndon B. Johnson, but rather that of his brother, Robert Kennedy, who was running for the Senate seat from New York.  Ted was in shock over what he had heard, he refused to believe that his brothers would engage in the activities that former FBI agent Richard Giordiano accused them of.  Even when all the evidence pointed to towards them being guilty, he still refused to believe it.  In fact, when questioned by a reporter about the matter, Ted became enraged and told the reporter to "get the hell out of my sight."  The accusations, as well as his own health problems, caused Ted Kennedy great stress.
His own senate race turned out to be very successful, as the tv announced that he won by a 3-1 margin over his Republican opponent.  Despite his victory, he felt little need to celebrate, for as his victory was announced his brother Bobby was trailing his opponent Kenneth Keating by more than 10% and Goldwater was neck in neck with LBJ even in the early hours.
By the end of the night, after the results came in of Kenneth Keating retaining his senate seat 62%-38% against Bobby, much worse than what Ted thought it would be.  As he read the results on screen, Ted Kennedy cried.  It was the most bittersweet moment of his life, he had just won in one of the biggest landslides in Massachusetts history and his brother had lost in a landslide election to his Republican opponent.  After four years of Camelot, he was now all alone.  Jack was dead, victim of an anti-social wackjob, and now Bobby had become one of the most demonized politicians in American history while that son of a bitch Johnson would likely get off scotfree.
So yes, maybe Ted would become a bitter man, but hell would hath no fury like a brother scorn.  It was up to him to restore the Kennedy name, the Lone Kennedy on Capitol Hill.  If LBJ wins, he'll do everything he can to make sure that the Texas son of a bitch gets what he rightfully deserves: jail time.  If Goldwater wins, he will filibuster that son of a bitch until he accepts moderation as a virtue.
Either way, he refused to be taken down, to become an empty voice, he would be like a lion in the senate.
And so began the maturity of the Liberal Lion of the Senate.
Historico
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »

Interesting TL, You got here Mech, Your own "Fluke of the God's" TL based on a Goldwater Victory, with a very plausible alternate scenario about how to get us there. Can't wait to see who he puts in cabinent...I already forsee an AG Roy Cohn(oh god) you could even give Ronnie an Alternate Careear path and maybe give him Secretary of Commerce(Due to his years as GE Spokesman)...Can't wait to see what you come up with...Keep it comming
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:15:41 PM »

BARRY! BARRY! BARRY! BARRY!
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »

Brilliance. Complete brilliance.
roby
Roby95
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »

Excellent Work man. Smiley
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »

Oh yeah. Keep going, please!
Ike56
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 01:29:04 AM »

Always wanted to see a Goldwater White House; excellent work!

Did the closeness of the contest have any effect on the Congressional races?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:15 AM »

Always wanted to see a Goldwater White House; excellent work!

Did the closeness of the contest have any effect on the Congressional races?

Republicans gain some seats, which I will cover soon.
Historico
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »

I wonder if LBJ and the Democratic Congress to get the VRA Passeed before Barry gets into office(Man Imagine how frosty of an transition period that would have been) as a final "Itll drive the bastard nuts." kinda of deal. Keep it comming
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »

I wonder if LBJ and the Democratic Congress to get the VRA Passeed before Barry gets into office(Man Imagine how frosty of an transition period that would have been) as a final "Itll drive the bastard nuts." kinda of deal. Keep it comming

That is a good question.  Really good.  Like the timeline.
Historico
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:33 AM »

Hey is this TL still alive Mech?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »

Yes.
I'm just a little busy with school work, getting a job, and a few other things that involve having a life at the moment.  For me writing timelines require an assload of research and tons of creative writing, so chances you won't see an update until I have a lot of free time which will probably be in a month's time (which is why "America that Never Was" has been inactive for so long).
Sorry for the wait.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »

Jeez, this is amazing. Completely plausible, also.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2010, 10:36:49 AM by Metal Mario »

Finally!  An update is up.
I actually finished this one 2 months ago, but I forgot to upload it.
I might (time permitting my other What-if and Alternate History timelines) just have another update up soon about Goldwater's first term in office.

1964 Congress Results:

Due to Goldwater's victory the Republicans gained a number of seats in the House and Senate.  However, they still failed to gain majority in either chamber and Goldwater would still have to contend with moderate Republicans to get his agenda passed.  However, conservative Democrats would prove to be invaluable allies in the coming years.

US House:

Democratic Party: 224 Seats
Republican Party: 214

Of Note:
Washington District 5: Afrer a tough campaign, Republican incumbent Walt Horan wins re-election over Democratic challenger Tom Foley.  The 35 year old Democratic challenger, despite a Republican wave year, had put up a very tough fight against the veteran Republican congressman.  Some pundits speculate that the young Mr. Foley might make a return to the political scene, possibly even running for the US Senate or the governorship.........

US Senate:

Although by many accounts a "blowout election", the Republicans were still in the minority.  Of note:

Montana: Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield barely survives re-election by only a 5 point margin.  With heavy Republican resources going into the state as well as the unfavorable Democratic climate he was a vulnerable target, however he was lucky enough that his Republican opponent Alex Blewett wasn't the most energetic campaigner.
Texas: Top liberal Democrat Ralph Yarborough is defeated by political newcomer George HW Bush, the son of former Connecticut Senator Prescott Bush 54%-46%.  The margin of defeat would be credited to a few things a) the liberal Yarborough attacking Bush as a "right wing extremist", b) Bush attacking Yarborough's voting record, calling him "too liberal for Texas", c) the political climate going against the Democrats due to revelations about Vietnam as well as the bugging of Martin Luther King Jr., and d) the press reporting on a now infamous comment by Yarborough about George HW Bush: "Poor George, he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth."  Bush's victory would mean that Texas would have two Republican senators, the first such occurrence since Reconstruction.
Nevada: Even before the start of the General Election many pundits were already predicting that Democratic incumbent Howard W. Cannon would have a hell of a battle to retain his Senate seat.  What was a close race in July soon became a losing battle for Cannon as early as early September, when polls revealed that Nevada Lieutenant Governor Paul Laxalt held a fifteen point lead on him.  Despite the heavy odds against him, Senator Cannon put up a campaign battle that many pundits would compare to Harry Truman in 1948.  Cannon would campaign vigorously for re-election, traveling throughout Nevada himself to try to get more votes.  On the night before the election the polls showed that Laxalt held a five point lead over Cannon.  The next day, Laxalt would defeat Cannon by a 2 point margin, much less than what many predicted he would win by.  Laxalt would later comment "If I had been just a little more cocky, I might've lost the whole thing."
Washington: Despite his strong support for further military intervention in Vietnam, Senator Henry Scoop Jackson would win re-election in a landslide.  Some would say that the reason for Jackson's strong performance in a year when a lot of his colleagues were thrown out of office was due to broad appeal to New Deal liberals and interventionists in both parties.  After the election he would public state "I will support the president-elect in his foreign policy".  Later on those words would prove to be very damning to Jackson.
Tennessee (Special Election): In a special election for the successor to the late Estes Kefauver, Republican Howard Baker Jr. would be elected capitalizing on the success of Goldwater.  Due to the circumstances of the election he would be sworn in on November 4th, 1964, giving the Republicans an extra member in the current Congress.  However, the effects would soon be cancelled out.........
Oklahoma: In a race many would call "the upset of the decade", liberal Oklahoma Democrat state senator Fred R. Harris would defeat the favored Republican candidate, the legendary Oklahoma football coach Bud Wilkinson by a mere 105 votes.  It was so shocking that when Walter Cronkite got the results on-air he spent 30 seconds looking at the results before regaining his composure:
"Okay...........for those of you watching.........this report I just got.......in all of my years of.......analyzing elections I can say......without bias........this is perhaps the most shocking results I've had to read............I have here in my hand........the results......of the Oklahoma special election........for the successor to the seat of the late Robert Kerr........the winner of this race will.......once these votes have been.......verified........be sworn into the US Senate......representing the state of Oklahoma.  According to this report.......that I hold in my hand.......the winner of this race..........by only around one hundred votes........Oklahoma State Senator Fred R. Harris.............a liberal Democrat.
The next day, the votes would be verified by the US Electoral Committee and Fred Harris would be sworn into the US Senate on the evening of November 4th, 1964.  His addition to the current Congress would help counteract the addition of Howard Baker to the current Congress.  With the addition of Harris, the Democrats would get bolder in the last months of 1964........
Minnesota:  In one of the nation's most intense Congressional races, Senator Eugene McCarthy would lose re-election by a three point margin.  McCarthy was actually favored to win re-election until his opponent businessman Whitney Wheelock started putting out very hard hitting attack ads about McCarthy's connection with Marxist revolutionary Che Guevarra.  In 1964 McCarthy had visited with Guevarra about fixing relations between the US and Cuba, at the time McCarthy's campaign didn't think the meeting was a big deal because it could be spun as "negotiating".  However, the image of an American politician meeting with an avowed Marxist revolutionary was not pretty at all to an American people who were wary of Communists.  Some would call Wheelock's campaign "McCarthyist" however the damage was already done.  The slogan "McCarthy: Soft on Marxists" would be damning.  The result was an end to the career of Eugene McCarthy.  Many a political historian has pondered how different history would be if the enigmatic poet of a senator had survived 1964........
Wisconsin: In yet another tragic defeat, liberal Democratic Senator William Proxmire would also suffer defeat at the hands of the Republican tide against challenger Wilbur N. Renk.  Proxmire had become Senator after winning a special election to succeed the infamous Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy.  His defeat came courtesy of his open feuding with President Lyndon Johnson, after publicly criticizing the president's Vietnam policy.  In retaliation Johnson ordered that no DNC funds go to Proxmire's re-election campaign, taking a huge chunk of his campaign funds he planned on using.  With the incumbent president and party leadership refusing to support him, as well as a tide against Democratic incumbents, Proxmire would start campaigning as a "Progressive Independent", rallying against the current administration as well as the Republicans.  However, it would be for naught, as his campaign went bankrupt a week before the election and his Republican challenger, who enjoyed party backing, was able to hit him hard for the last week without recourse.  The results would be a crushing 12 point margin defeat.  After his defeat, Proxmire would leave the Democratic Party out of spite, registering as an Independent in 1965.
Michigan: Although the climate favored Republicans, incumbent Phillip Hart would win re-election with 62% of the vote due to the voters perceiving his challenger Elly M. Petersen as "dead boring and uninspiring".
Ohio: Incumbent Stephen M. Young would lose re-election to Republican Robert A. Taft Jr., a member of the influential Taft family.  As a "dye in the wool" conservative, Taft would benefit greatly from the Republican wave of 1964, winning election with 56.82% of the vote campaigning on a platform of fiscally responsible government.  His campaign would be very unique, as he campaigned on a non-interventionist foreign policy and immediate withdrawal of all US troops and advisors from Vietnam immediately.  Though this position put him in hot water with hawkish Republicans, the party leadership still sent resources his way.  His election into COngress would help rejuvenate the dying "paleoconservative" movement.
Florida: Incumbent Spessard Holland loses re-election to moderate Republican Claude R. Kirk.  His election would be one of a few where a moderate Republican would win election over a conservative Southern Democrat.
Virginia: Incumbent Harry F. Byrd wins re-election in a landslide.  Ironically, the conservative wave of 1964 would end up helping him more than it did his Republican opponent Richard A. May.
West Virginia: Robert Byrd wins re-election by landslide margins.  Unlike many fellow Democrats he would actually benefit from the so-called "conservative wave" due to his opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that made him popular amongst his West Virginia constituency.

Composition:

Democratic Party: 56 seats
Republican Party: 44 seats
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »

Superb...

I wish this happened. Tongue
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »

THIS IS BACK?? YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »

Whether Goldwater is reelected in 1968, Nixon does not become president. Actually America wasn't ready for Goldwater's policies until 1980. By 1972, Rockefeller would have arose as the GOP nominee and lose to the reelected democrat. In 1980 a Republican would be up for reelection and Reagan would never see the white house. 1964 was a blessing in disguise for the GOP.
Historico
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:25 AM »

A thorough update on the butterflies in regards to the Congressional elelctions, can't wait to see what happens in barry's first term.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies