Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:02:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Senator Benson Rockefeller Goes For The Gold  (Read 27779 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2011, 10:55:40 PM by Honest Abe »

Benson Rockefeller is a fictional character that I created.

So readers can see his background, here is his resume.

Benson Wentworth Rockefeller
Party Affiliation Republican
State New York
Religion Protestant Christian

Born 1936 at the family summer home in Seal Harbor, Maine, son of Grayson Rockefeller, the youngest of the famous Rockefeller brothers, and his wife Margaret Wentworth Rockefeller.

Educated at private schools, graduated high school 1954.

Graduated from University of Rhode Island 1958 with a bachelors degree in social work.

Married Diane Rutherford 1960, who comes from a distinguished Rhode Island family, who lost most of their fortune during the depression of the 1930's.

Graduated from Yale University 1961 with a J.D. in law.

Worked at the State Department 1961-1963, as a staff member in the office of the Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs.

Enlisted in the United States Navy in 1963, as an Enlisted Seaman, serving a one year tour of duty in Vietnam September 1964-September 1965, working on an aircraft carrier as a gun handler.  Served honorably in the Navy until the end of his enlistment period in 1966.      

Asked by President Lyndon Johnson to become Secretary of the Navy, in which capacity he served 1966-January1969.

He introduced medical and pension reforms to ensure that naval veterans and their families were properly compensated and cared for.

Went to work for a prominent Manhattan law firm 1969-1973.

Asked by President Richard Nixon to become Secretary of State, serving 1973-1977, under Nixon then under President Gerald Ford.  

Negotiated a peace settlement and American withdrawal from Vietnam.

Laid the groundwork with Israeli and Palestinian leaders for future peace negotiations.

Returned to New York in January of 1977, and announced that he would be running for Attorney General of New York in the 1978 election.

Elected Attorney General of New York in November, 1978, serving in this office January 1, 1979 to December 31, 1982.

As Attorney General, significantly reduced the crime rate in the state, and took on organized crime and the drug trade in the state, significantly reducing their power and influence.  

Ran for Governor in the November 1982 election, defeating Democratic candidate, Lieutenant Governor Mario Cuomo in a squeaker, 50.4% to 49.6%.

Rockefeller was re-elected as Governor of New York in a landslide victory in November 1986 over Democratic candidate and former Governor Hugh Carey, who the Democrats hoped could make a comeback.

Governor of New York January 1, 1983-January 3, 1989.  

As Governor, he is remembered, among other things, for getting hundreds of  thousands of New York state residents off welfare and into effective job training programs,  helping unemployed New Yorkers find meaningful employment.

Governor Rockefeller announced in late 1987 that he would be running for the U.S. Senate against Democratic incumbent Daniel Patrick Moynihan in the 1988 Senate election.                

Elected to the United States Senate from New York on November 8, 1988 over Democratic incumbent Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, in a close election, with Rockefeller winning by two percentage points, Rockefeller 51%, Moynihan 49%.  

Sworn into the United States Senate on January 3, 1989.

Reelected to the United States Senate  from New York in November, 1994, winning a landslide victory over Democratic candidate, environmental activist Robert Kennedy Jr.

Brought in legislation banning trans fats in the United States, improving the health of Americans and saving the health care system and the tax payers billions of dollars.

Brought in far reaching and innovative free trade legislation, changing the way the world's nations trade with one another.

Benson and Diane Rockefeller have three grown children, one son and two daughters, Grayson II, Charlotte, and Caroline, and three young grandchildren, one grandson and two granddaughters.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »

See this differs a bit from Americana, as there your character was said to defeat one of Kennedy kids in landslide.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 07:59:23 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

True.  But this is not Americana.

There are acutally several changes to the Rockefeller resume that I have made.

There will be some entries coming up which I hope readers will find interesting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »

True.  But this is not Americana.

There are acutally several changes to the Rockefeller resume that I have made.

There will be some entries coming up which I hope readers will find interesting.

Thanks for an explanation.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 08:00:00 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

Rockefeller spends a quiet and relaxing Christmas of 1994 and New Year of 1995 with his family at their winter estate in Boca Raton, Florida.

By mid January, 1995, however, the Rockefeller Florida estate becomes a beehive of activity.

There are reports that many notable Republicans have been seen entering the gates of the grounds over a period of days in mid January.

CNN reports:

We have confirmation that a long list of Republican luminaries have been visiting the Benson Rockefeller estate in Boca Raton, Florida.  These include former President Gerald Ford, along with his wife Betty, former President George Bush and his wife Barbara, former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger.  You will recall that Kissinger held the office of Secretary of State before Rockefeller.  As well, former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney, former Nixon Treasury Secretary George Schultz, a former Attorney General and Defense Secretary Elliot Richardson, as well as several Republican Senators and Governors from across the country.

Interestingly enough, there is a Democrat in attendance here, Senator Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia, and his wife Sharon.  Senator Jay Rockefeller is of course a cousin of Benson Rockefeller.  Interestingly enough, Sharon Rockefeller is the daughter of one time leading Republican Senator Charles Percy of Illinois.

One of our reporters was able to talk with Florida Senator Connie Mack, who was asked what this gathering was all about.  Senator Mack responded, with a smile, that it was just a post Christmas social gathering, sponsored by the Rockefeller family.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:36:11 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 08:00:34 PM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

June, 1995, Senator Benson Rockefeller meets at his summer estate in Seal Harbor, Maine, with his trusted friends and colleagues Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island, Senator John Warner of Virginia, Dick Armey of Texas, House Majority Leader, and Governor John Engler of Michigan.

Rockefeller:  How much support do you think I have with Congressional Republicans for a Presidential run?

Chafee:  Well, when you announce, I believe at least half, likely more, of Republicans in the Senate will back you.

Warner:  I agree.  They want someone who can go toe to toe with a smart incumbent President, someone as smart as, or smarter than Clinton.  Ben, you're as tough as they come, and smart.  And if you don't mind my saying so, you can go on the attack more effectively than anyone I've ever seen.

Armey:  Ben, the House Republicans are quite conservative, nevertheless, even given your moderate record, I think you would likely have about fourty percent behind you at the start.  If you win the nomination, and I can't see anyone beating you at this point, the House members will get behind you one hundred percent.

Chafee:  Once you get the nomination, the same situation applies for the Senators, they will get behind you all the way.

Rockefeller:  That all sounds very encouraging.  What's it look like with the Governors, John?

Engler:  Ben, I have spoken with all the Republican Governors.  Sixty percent are behind you now, and most of the others will support you once you announce.

Rockefeller:  Thank you all for your great work.  I trust all those supporting me will be in DC when I announce my Presidential run next week.  I'm gonna send Slick Willy packin' back to Little Rock.

Cheering and clapping erupt among the small group gathered together.

Warner:  Great news, Ben, great news.

Chafee, Armey and Engler:  Likewise.

Rockefeller, smiling:  Just leave your campaign contributions at the front door.

All:  HAHAHAHAHAHA.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »

Ben Roberts becomes President and kills Rockefeller.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:11 AM »

When do you walk on water?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26:38 AM »

Ben Roberts becomes President and kills Rockefeller.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »

YOUGO ESCAPES, KILLS ROCKEFELLER
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »

There is no God but Yougo1000, and Benson Rockefeller is his prophet.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »

Sorry, Benson. I didn't mean to insult Holy Benson Rockefeller
There is no god but Benson Rockefeller, and Yougo1000 is his prophet.
ROCKEFELLER AKBAR!
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »

Uhuhuhu!

I'm evil little Polaqi dictator.

I destroy everyone who don't think I'm awesome!

I disagree with Kalwejt.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »

Uhuhuhu!

I'm evil little Polaqi dictator.

I destroy everyone who don't think I'm awesome!

I disagree with Kalwejt.

Hawkeye, if you disagree with him, I am sure that Kalwejt must have given you permission to do so.  You do not seem to do anything on this forum without his permission.  Please, get a mind of your own.

You made a post on one of my threads awhile ago, which you deleted the same day.  I am still convinced that Kalwejt told you to delete it.  Learn how to stand on your own two feet.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 12:33:17 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:15:02 PM by Lincoln Republican »

On the steps of the United States Capitol Building, Senator Benson Rockefeller, with his wife, children, their spouses, and grandchildren at his side, announces his candidacy for the Presidency of the United States.

Attending are a solid showing of Republican Senators, Representatives, Governors, former Presidents Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George HW Bush, former Republican cabinet secretaries, and, most importantly of all, thousands and thousands of everyday Americans.

This event is being covered live by all the networks.

Rockefeller:  My friends, my fellow Americans, I am here today to announce my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States of America.

Applause and cheering from the audience.

America today faces inurmerable challenges and demands, demands on it's resources, demands on it's people.

To meet those challenges and demands in the months and years ahead, America will require a President of moral courage, not a President bereft of acceptable behaviorial standards in a Chief Executive.

My background as a Navy pilot, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of State, Governor of New York, United States Senator from New York, with positive accomplishments in each of these offices and responsibilities, gives me the background and experience required to lead this nation at this point in time.

I have proven myself in the court of public service.

Raucous and sustained cheering and clapping from the audience.

My friends, my fellow Americans, when America was in crisis, when America was in need of a call to service, I did not avoid my duty, I did not shirk my duty, I enlisted to serve, and I was proud to serve in the defense of my country and in the defense of freedom.

Raucous and sustained cheering and clapping from the audience.

My friends, my fellow Americans, I stand ready now to lead this nation as President.  I stand ready and prepared to provide the solid leadership this nation will require now and in the future.

Americans do not run from history or responsibility, Americans do not hide from history or responsibility, we make history, let us make history together.

Thank you my fellow Americans.

Deafening and sustained cheering and clapping from the audience.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »

Ben Roberts beats Benson Rockefeller 530-8.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »

Now, serious question for an author.

I really hope you'd at least give your character some real right in primaries and general, not making that catewalk.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2010, 01:42:38 PM »

OK. 289-249

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »

Actually, you can control who comments here by locking the thread, but then again, only you could comment then. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »

NiK, thank you.

But I think that would be too drastic a step to take.

I don't wish to stifle discussion in this thread, however, as you can see, the comments have been totally ridiculous.  Obviously, they do not have to agree with me, but their comments should be intelligent.

I welcome commentary, however, all I ask is that it is reasonable.  I do not think that is asking too much.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:17:55 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Senator Benson  Rockefeller meets with his colleagues Senators John Chafee of Rhode Island and John Warner of Virginia.

Chafee:  What do we know about Bob Dole?  He believes it's his turn to become the Republican Presidential nominee.

Warner:  Yes, Bob has been waiting for this moment for years.

Rockefeller:  Don't worry, I know just how to handle Bob.  We won't have to worry about him.

Encouraged by polls showing him to be the frontrunner for the nomination and the Presidency, Rockefeller takes his campaign on the road.

Latest polling results:

Among Republicans who will be voting for the nominee:

Benson Rockefeller              52%
Lamar Alexander                 18%
Pat Buchanan                    14%
Steve Forbes                     12%
Others                               4%

Presidential matchup:

Benson Rockefeller              54%
Bill Clinton                         46%

First stop in what apears to be the Rockefeller juggernaut, Iowa.

Rockefeller can be seen wearing jeans, a plaid shirt, and boots, gladhanding with the folks in Iowa at state fairs and in the cornfields, from one end of the state to the other.

Hi, I'm Benson Rockefeller, nice to see ya.  I'm running for President.  I hope I can count on your vote.

Now dressed in kaki pants and a nice open collar shirt, Rockefeller stops at a shopping mall in Cedar Falls and buys a pack of gum with the press there.  A crowd gathers.  He is shown on the network news stations that evening chatting it up with the locals and getting down on one knee to talk with a three year old boy.

Well aren't you a nice young man.  Standing up and holding the child by the hand, Rockefeller says, I see a future President here, looking at the boy.  The crowd laughs.

I'm Benson Rockefeller, and I'm running for President.  I would like to have your vote.

Rockefeller discusses some policy issues with the gathered crowd, however, the soundbites that evening on the national networks newscasts, and Rockefeller seen talking with a small child, were great political advertising for the Rockefeller campaign, and free.

Rockefeller seems to be headed for a big win in the Iowa caucuses.      
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 07:54:11 AM »

It's appearing better, I must admitt. However, I'd suggest to give Rockefeller some more fight. Sorry, but appearing as the one who's always winning and have catewalk for Presidency making it boring.

More fire!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 08:34:05 PM »

Quit jumping the gun.  The story is to become more interesting and dramatic.

Be aware it is not because of your commentary.  I have had this planned for some time now.  I do not have the full story worked out, but some of it I have planned for awhile.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:06 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2010, 07:20:41 AM by President Thomas E. Dewey »

February 12, 1996, the Iowa caucuses.

At the Rockefeller headquarters in Des Moines, the excitement is building, as they are fully expecting the polling results to be borne out with a big Rockefeller win.

The results are coming in, and they are not disappointed, showing Rockefeller taking a sizeable lead over all opponents.  

Rockefeller                  57%
Alexander                   26%
Buchanan                   12%
Forbes                         5%

Cheers go up as these results flash on the screen.

Results from more of the state are coming in.

Rockefeller                  48%
Alexander                    34%
Buchanan                     9%
Forbes                         9%

Someone in the crowd at the Rockefeller headquarters says

It's only natural that the race would tighten up as more results come in.

More results

Alexander                    44%
Rockefeller                   41%
Forbes                         10%
Buchanan                      5%

Lamar Alexander has actually jumped into a slight lead.  Disbelief at the Rockefeller headquarters greets this turn of events.

What?  What's going on?

With all results now in

Alexander                     46%
Rockefeller                    41%
Forbes                          10%
Buchanan                        3%

The crowd at the Rockefeller headquarters does not know quite what to make of these results.  They were expecting a big win.  Now, they have finished five points back of the winner, Alexander.

Rockefeller immediately puts in a call to Alexander, congratulating him on his come from behind win.  

Lamar, congratulations on your win tonight.  I must admit, I am somewhat surprised, but in this business, you never know.  But good work, and once again, congratulations.  

Ben, you're surprised?  Think of how surprised I am.

Both laugh.

Thanks for the call.

Rockefeller speaks to his supporters and to a nationwide viewing audience.

My friends, this has been a long and tough campaign.  Thank you so very much to all of you for your hard work and dedication over the course of this campaign.  We didn't win, but that's the nature of politics.  You take the good with the bad.

I have just gotten off the phone with the winner, Lamar Alexander, and have given him my congratulations on his big win tonight.

And now, on to New Hampshire.

The crowd, many in tears, cheer this last line.

Meanwhile, at the Alexander headquarters, they are ecstatic, cheering, dancing, singing.

Someone in the crowd yells out

Ben, you can't buy the nomination.

Cheering and laughter from the crowd.

Alexander takes the stage.

Thank you, thank you for your hard work and dedication over the course of these last few months.  Senator Rockefeller has called me and has been most gracious in congratulating me on the win here tonight.  

Clapping from the crowd.

My friends, this is your win.

And now, we move on to New Hampshire.

Cheering from the audience.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 09:25:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The primary schedule is jam packed, and the Rockefeller campaign has been going all out for the past three months with media advertising in the March primary states, and with Senator Benson Rockefeller making campaign appearances in as many states as possible.

He is again concentraing on New Hampshire, knowing the optics of two losses in a row, Iowa and New Hampshire, could be damaging to his campaign.  One big advantage the Rockefeller campaign has is that it is far more well financed than any of the others.

The Rockefeller campaign has made the decision to spend an entire week after Iowa campaigning in New Hampshire, with one stop in Delaware.

Rockefeller appears at organized rallys in Concord, Manchester, Nashua, Danbury, Wentworth, Whitefield, Colebrook, stressing his background and experience, and the qualities of leadership he will bring to the Presidency, his success on the world stage, his success as Governor of New York, turning the New York economy around and making it possible for hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers to be trained and find meaningful employment.  He stressed his Senate record, improving the lives of Americans.  

My friends, my fellow Americans, I am Benson Rockefeller, and I am running for President of the United States.  I need your support in order to bring about the changes this nation needs.  In order to defeat a tough, smart, smooth talking candidate like Bill Clinton, the Republicans will require a candidate who can go toe to toe with him.  I present to you that I am that candidate.

His blitz throughout the state was accompanied by a media blitz, stressing Rockefeller's experience and abilities, and long and successful record of public service.

This strategy paid off for Rockefeller on primary election night, with the following results

Rockefeller               55%
Alexander                31%
Forbes                     8%
Buchanan                  6%

There is jubilation at the Rockefeller headquarters in Concord.

My friends, my fellow Americans, the people of New Hampshire, thank you so very much for this great victory tonight.  We all share in this victory.

I have just gotten off the phone with Lamar Alexander, who has very graciously congratulated me on this win here tonight.  Thank you Lamar for your call, and all my best to you and your family.

We are back on track, and we are taking this campaign across America.

Cheering, hugging, dancing in the audience.    
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies