To Stand Alone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:27:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  To Stand Alone
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: To Stand Alone  (Read 8734 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

(Okay, so I'm re-launching this... if anyone has tips on this ambitious project, please PM me!)

To Stand Alone
by Dallasfan65

Democratic National Convention, 1940

"I'm sorry, Ed. I just can't run again." said Roosevelt to the man who had helped shape his electoral strategies. "Damnit, now what are we supposed to do?" the words "We want Roosevelt" were shouted over the speakers, but as the President went to the podium, he was not going to meet their wishes. "I cannot accept the pleas of those whom wish for me to run for a third term. To do so would be an affront to the father of this nation, President Washington. Though the times were uncertain and the perils were many, he stood aside to allow the next man to take the reigns. I shall do the same, and I ask the convention to nominate - Henry A. Wallace!"

Roosevelt's endorsement of the eccentric Agriculture Secretary was met with angry shouts from the Southern delegations. Even those from the West booed and jeered. Though Secretary Wallace picked up a handful of delegates, he was unable to stave off the groundswell of support that went to the Vice President, John Garner, colloquially known as "Cactus Jack." To secure the support of Roosevelt allies, he selected Postmaster General James Farley for Vice President. James Farley was a like-minded individual whom loathed much of the New Deal in private, and was also the architect of Roosevelt's landslides in 1932 and 1936.

First Ballot

John Garner - 891 Delegates
Henry A. Wallace - 91 Delegates
Cordell Hull - 64 Delegates
Franklin D. Roosevelt - 47 Delegates

President Roosevelt left the convention early in disgust, with two of his former allies whom he held a vendetta against being the nominees. He began calling a few friends to craft up a challenge...

Republican National Convention, 1940

The Republican National Convention had preceded the Democratic one, by about a month, and two factions of the once Grand party were ready to clash: interventionists, and isolationists. Within the isolationist wing were two factions in itself: those representing economic conservatism, such as Senator Styles Bridges of New Hampshire, and those representing the pro-agriculture, pro-tariff interests such as Senator Charles McNary of Oregon. Due to irreconcilable differences between the internationalists, Senator Arthur H. Vandenberg, an isolationist that had some appeal to the other factions, managed to clinch the nomination.

First Ballot
Arthur H. Vandenberg: 816 Delegates
Thomas E. Dewey: 69 Delegates
Charles McNary: 48 Delegates
Robert A. Taft: 27 Delegates
Styles Bridges: 24 Delegates
Wendell Willkie: 16 Delegates

The pragmatic Styles Bridges urged Vandenberg to select Charles McNary in order to alleviate the misgivings of more liberal Republicans, but the Republican party's nominee would have none of it. Instead, he opted to select Robert Taft, a member of the Taft dynasty and rising star among Republicans.

Enter Stage Left: The Third Challenge

"Henry? It's the President. We need to speak on something."
"We've been friends and associates for several years. Just ask, and I'll do what I can."
"I want you to run for President."
"Wha? The convention's been over for months, Frank."
"I want you to run under the Progressive banner. All of the disaffected Republicans and Dewey supporters would be thrilled to vote for you."
"Who the hell would run on a ticket with me?"
"I've got a friend in Idaho... if you run, I'll do all I can in my capacity as President of the United States to support you."

On August 5th, Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia announced to a large crowd in the Bronx that he would run for President of the United States, selecting Governor Charles "Ben" Ross of Idaho as his running mate. President Roosevelt privately told the Democratic machine in New York to support LaGuardia, and publicly endorsed him in the final week of the campaign.

Would any of these three contenders manage to eek out a victory on November 5th?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »

GO LAGUARDIA! Wow, a Jew and a Italian.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »

It's good, but I don't see Roosevelt publically endorsing a third party ticket. He'd grit his teeth and support Garner, at least publically, in my opinion.

Please continue, though Smiley

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »

It's good, but I don't see Roosevelt publically endorsing a third party ticket. He'd grit his teeth and support Garner, at least publically, in my opinion.

Well, Garner/Farley is the ultimate grudge ticket against Roosevelt, and he had an excellent relationship with LaGuardia, whom was the only candidate out of the three that would continue the New Deal.

An update should be in the works for tonight.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »

Go Vandenberg/Taft! Keep it coming! Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 12:19:04 PM »

Well, Garner/Farley is the ultimate grudge ticket against Roosevelt, and he had an excellent relationship with LaGuardia, whom was the only candidate out of the three that would continue the New Deal.

An update should be in the works for tonight.

Well. we'll see. I'm looking forward to the update, and rooting for Vandenburg. From the title, I hope that a point of divergence is World War II being butterflied away... Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »

Go LaGuardia!  Though I might not mind Garner too much.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »

To Stand Alone = Vandenburg/Taft

I was just today wondering how Taft would run the nation.

A LaGuardia presidency would be interesting.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2010, 09:20:12 PM by Dallasfan65 »

The Election of 1940

LaGuardia spent most of his days campaigning in the North and the West, neglecting his duties as Mayor by and large. He warned that a vote for Vandenberg was a vote for Hoover, and that the Vice President would be little different. He also campaigned on the promise that the United States would get involved in the proverbial fire that had set Europe ablaze. However, isolationist sentiment prevailed on November 5th, and Vandenberg was jettisoned into the White House, despite a deeply divided electorate.

Senator Arthur Vandenberg/Senator Robert M. Taft: 271 Electoral votes 42.3 % PV
Vice President John N. Garner/James Farley: 194 Electoral Votes 46.5% PV
Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia/Governor C. Ben Ross: 66 Electoral Votes 11.2% PV
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

The Presidency of Arthur M. Vandenberg - (Part 1)

Vice President: Robert A. Taft
Secretary of State: Charles McNary
Secretary of War: Douglas MacArthur
Secretary of Treasury: James Oliver
Attorney General: John W. Bricker
Postmaster General: Harrison E. Spangler
Secretary of Navy: Oscar Youngdahl
Secretary of Interior: Jeanette Rankin
Secretary of Agriculture: Paul H. Cunningham
Secretary of Commerce: Karl E. Mundt
Secretary of Labor: Fred A. Hartley

A Mandate? Anything but.

President Vandenberg was inaugurated on March 4th, 1941, with anything but a mandate from the people. His inaugural boost brought him to a paltry 53% approval rating, with many people having misgivings over what his policies would bring, especially those in the West living in Hoovervilles. To improve the Republican Party's brand in the West, the President privately urged Republican officials not to evict residents of the make-shift towns. Getting anything done at the Federal Level would be an uphill battle, as he had a mere 28 Republican Senators and only 162 Republican congressmen on his side.

The President's Unlikely Allies

Vandenberg, as President, broke the traditional fashion of establishment politics, and worked on ideological grounds. He strategically appointed senior Republicans he found unfavorable to less important posts, seen by many as a reconciliation with the liberal wing, when the true purpose was to advance young conservatives to the top of the totem pole. The best example of this was the elevation of Charles McNary to Secretary of State, which allowed Styles Bridges, a Vandenberg ally, to become Senate Minority Leader. Vandenberg also established ties with several Democratic Senators, and formed an unofficial 'Conservative Coalition.'

Notable members of the Conservative Coalition:

Senate Minority Leader Styles Bridges (R-NH)

Majority Whip John Sparkman (D-AL)
Congressman Charles A. Halleck (R-IN)
Senator Ellison "Cotton Ed" Smith (D-SC)
Senator Millard Tydings (D-MD)
Senator James Eastland (D-MS)

Senator Owen Brewster (R-ME)

After several months of a budgetary stand-off, the Conservative Coalition struck a victory in passing a budget that allowed for cuts into the deficit, in hopes of tackling inflation. President Vandenberg hoped to scale back several New Deal programs, namely Social Security. However, a certain event on December 7th, 1941, would drastically change the focus of the administration's agenda...
hantheguitarman

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »

Wow, Garner was f##ked like a b##ch in that election. Wink Grin
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »

Wow, Garner was f##ked like a b##ch in that election. Wink Grin

I still think it's priceless that you parodied Pulp Fiction.

The image of Garner tirading with Samuel Jackson's voice is just epic. Grin
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »

VANDENBURG! ALRIGHT!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »

The Presidency of Arthur M. Vandenberg - Part 2

December 7th, 1941 - A Day of Infamy

On the dawn of December 7th, 1941, American mariners had been forcefully woken by the roaring engines of Zeroes - an unfamiliar sound at the time. The captains urged their men to arms, and though gunners put up a spirited defense, the attack was indisputably a victory for the Japanese. Their aircraft losses were more than offset by the damage inflicted upon the US fleet. One notable casualty was that of Mervyn Bennion, commander of the USS West Virginia. The President awarded him a Medal of Honor on December 10th, 1941.

The American Response

The very next day, both chambers of congress passed a unilateral Declaration of War on Japan. President Vandenberg authorized massive increases in military spending to combat the belligerent Empire of Japan. Many had been surprised by the President's complicity to go on the war path, given his previous isolationism, but he responded to those few in his camp against the war "Isolationism doesn't mean you can't attack back, damnit."

The President, admittedly unknowledgable on the subject of military strategy, would consistently rely on War Secretary Douglas MacArthur for advice on the War in the Pacific. After a sluggish response and additional defeats in the Pacific, rout of US forces in the Phillipines and the fall of Hong Kong, the United States scored a decisive victory at the battle of Coral Sea, followed up by a recapturing of Guam a month later. Though a long and arduous battle, scored early victories in defending New Guinea.

What About Germany?

In the wake of December 7th and the sudden about face of United States attitude on isolationism, many in Congress were eager to declare war on Germany and Italy aswell. The President, however, had been a vocal opponent of these measures. "We do not need to provoke, nor alienate, any countries that would drag us into further war. The loss of American life is too great a cost." However, the majority of Democrats and even a few Republicans were now considering the idea, and it took only the greatest efforts by Vandenberg's isolationist allies to stave off these resolutions. On the internment question, the President was vehemently opposed, though would mildly support 'background checks' to ensure there was no dissidence amongst Japanese Americans.

1942 Midterm Elections

Senate Composition:

D: 58 R: 36

Senate Majority Leader: Alben W. Barkley (D-KY)
Senate Majority Whip: Lister Hill (D-AL)

Senate Minority Leader: Styles Bridges (R-NH)

1942 House Elections:

D: -50 R: +52

D: 217
R: 214
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 03:09:43 PM »

Go Vandenberg/Taft! Keep it coming! Smiley

And let Mr. Hitler burn Jews, Poles, Czechs, Ukrainians, Russians and others in crematories...
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »

The Presidency of Arthur M. Vandenberg - Part 3

The Economy?

With heavy U.S. spending on war material, the automobile industry, dockyards, weapons manufacturers, amongst others saw a surge in employment. Despite this, there was still a crop crisis, with the President's hardfought repeal of the AAA. The people generally saw the economy during the Vandenberg Administration as improved, though had no harsh feelings toward his predecessor.

Europe Ablaze

Though the United States took a pass on the war on Europe, not all had the luxury of doing so. War raged on, with casualties mounting in the hundreds of thousands. Germany had bull-dozed into France, forcing their capitulation within two weeks. The British had been completely shut out of the continent, and despite mild success in Africa, the outlook appeared grim for the allied front. A French Resistance, though somewhat effective in Southern France, it had been more token resistance than anything else. After much attrition, Germany controlled all of France, and had come to something of an impasse with Britain, warfare restricted to aerial bombing, as any amphibious assault would have been disastrous. One event that gave heart to the Allies was the German defeat at Stalingrad, which pushed their lines West, and they had to divert manpower from the other side of the continent to keep the Soviets at bay.

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »

The Democratic Convention, 1944

With the American people standing in solidarity behind President Vandenberg, the Democrats had a tough challenge set against them in November. The economy had improved and the Americans were on the path to victory against the Empire of Japan. Former President Franklin D. Roosevelt floated out the idea of running once more in 1944, but as his health started to decline severely, he would have to 'bow out.' Weeks before the convention, Speaker Samuel Rayburn announced he would run for the Presidency. He delivered a riveting acceptance speech, pledging "The call for help from our allies in Europe shall not go unanswered! We can no longer cover our eyes and expect Germany not to see us!"

First Ballot:

Samuel Rayburn: 1013 Delegates
Cordell Hull: 159 Delegates
Franklin D. Roosevelt: 4 Delegates

For Vice President, Speaker Rayburn selected James Farley, the runningmate of the failed Garner ticket. He hoped that a third rendition of the Texas-New York axis would lead to a victory, and they exited the convention with a daunting task.

The Republican Convention, 1944

The Republicans entered their convention in Detroit exuberantly. President Vandenberg and the Vice President were easily renominated on the first ballots, and the President gave a riveting acceptance speech. "I stood in solidarity with the American people on that day of infamy - I only ask that they do the same in November."

First Ballot:

Arthur M. Vandenberg: 998 Delegates
Thomas E. Dewey: 2 Delegates

The incumbent received re-nomination handily, and exited the convention with confidence that he would win the day.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 10:33:44 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2010, 06:43:39 PM by Dallasfan65 »

The Election of 1944

President Arthur M. Vandenberg/Vice President Robert A. Taft: 334 Electoral Votes, 55.3% PV
Speaker Sam T. Rayburn/Postmaster General James A. Farley: 197 Electoral Votes, 43.1% PV
Others: 1.6% PV

1944 Senate Elections

Senate Composition:

D: 52 R: 42

1944 House Elections:

D: -15 R: +15

R: 229 D: 202
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

Great so far! Wink
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

Yeah keep on going
hantheguitarman

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »

Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2010, 11:10:48 PM »

#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »

Bump.

Update coming, most likely tonight.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »

The Presidency of Arthur Vandenberg - Part 1

Vice President: Robert A. Taft
Secretary of State: Warren Austin*
Secretary of War: Douglas MacArthur
Secretary of Treasury: James Oliver
Attorney General: John W. Bricker
Postmaster General: Harrison E. Spangler
Secretary of Navy: Oscar Youngdahl
Secretary of Interior: Frank E. Lucas*
Secretary of Agriculture: Paul H. Cunningham
Secretary of Commerce: Karl E. Mundt
Secretary of Labor: Fred A. Hartley

* Charles McNary died in office.
**Jeanette Rankin resigned over the Pacific War.

The Grand Rapids Project

With rising concern over the massive military might of the Soviet Union and Germany, coupled with uncertainties of a land invasion in Japan (despite a tactical US victory thus far), the Vandenberg Administration secretly began exploring the use of atomic weaponry. Dubbed the Grand Rapids project, it was based in the city it was named for, and testing zones were primarily in New Mexico and Arizona. The proverbial elephant in the room, however, was that the British, Russians, and Germans were all secretly pursuing such weapons aswell - it could perhaps be more pivotal than for the United States forces.

An Uneasy Truce

After several years of a bloody stalemate, Germany and Russia began exploring the idea of a temporary ceasefire. With Russia fearful of Germany's superior technology, and Germany wary of the sheer manpower that the Soviet Union commanded, the two signed the Berlin Accords in 1945. However, both men knew, along with atleast half of Europe, that the two superpowers were merely biding their time for the other to slip up...

Vandenberg puts The Empire of Japan in Check

By the summer of 1945, the Empire of Japan had been strategically routed in the Pacific Ocean; after an arduous campaign of island hopping, coupled with defeats in Indochina and the Philippines, they had been effectively contained to their redoubts on the island of Japan itself, which was surrounded with an effective blockade. However, with Russia having brought a temporary resolution to the European War, it began to lick its chops at the prospect of avenging its defeat at the Sino-Japan war, could very well poise a threat to the US forces...
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies