Have you actually read the Bible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have you actually read the Bible?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Poll
Question: How much of the Christian Bible have you read? (Your faith)
All of it, more than once (Christian)

All of it, only once (Christian)

More than half of it (Christian)

Less than half of it (Christian)

None of it (Christian)

All of it, more than once (non-Christian)

All of it, only once (non-Christian)

More than half of it (non-Christian)

Less than half of it (non-Christian)

None of it (non-Christian)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Have you actually read the Bible?  (Read 14410 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2011, 01:56:48 AM »

Only parts of it.

A couple years ago I decided that considering how much time I spend educating myself on all sorts of other stuff from chemical engineering (my major) to politics to professional sports (diehard Cleveland fan) to collegiate-level distance running, I knew/know embarassingly little about the Catholic faith I allegedly believe.

Since then I've put a lot more time into learning about religion and have read a decent amount. But sitting down and reading the entire Bible is a very tall order. I've managed to get myself to read the Gospels and right now I'm very slowly getting through various epistles. But the Old Testament will probably take me years. Maybe I'll have read the whole thing by the time I die. Smiley

Don't read the Old Testament straight through, Genesis-Malachi.  That way lies madness.  Pick and choose books, or even parts of books, and read them one at a time.  Daniel, for example, is a very accessible, reasonably short book with some great stories (including a few in the Catholic version that aren't in the Jewish/Protestant version Wink).  (That reminds me, I need to start a thread about Biblical Apocrypha)  Proverbs is full of insightful and interesting advice, and is pretty accessible.  The real mountains are either the Psalms (don't read all 150 of them in a row, but scatter them throughout your other reading) or the Major Prophets (Isaiah in particular is just gigantic.  Beautiful, but gigantic).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies