Have you actually read the Bible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:37:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Have you actually read the Bible?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: How much of the Christian Bible have you read? (Your faith)
All of it, more than once (Christian)

All of it, only once (Christian)

More than half of it (Christian)

Less than half of it (Christian)

None of it (Christian)

All of it, more than once (non-Christian)

All of it, only once (non-Christian)

More than half of it (non-Christian)

Less than half of it (non-Christian)

None of it (non-Christian)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 100

Author Topic: Have you actually read the Bible?  (Read 14355 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2005, 07:34:58 PM »

One Gospel, the Book of Matthew. A great many of it I didn't understand, so I've put it off.

Although some of the "stories" -- I mean, compact verses that describe one particular instance in Jewish history, not the (incredibly rude) KEmperor/opebo slur -- are interesting unto themselves. E.g. The degenerate and apostatic priest Balaam and his Talking Ass, which was absolutely unlike the Children's Bible version.

Why are you comparing me to opebo?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »

One Gospel, the Book of Matthew. A great many of it I didn't understand, so I've put it off.

Although some of the "stories" -- I mean, compact verses that describe one particular instance in Jewish history, not the (incredibly rude) KEmperor/opebo slur -- are interesting unto themselves. E.g. The degenerate and apostatic priest Balaam and his Talking Ass, which was absolutely unlike the Children's Bible version.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2005, 08:21:40 PM »

Some, but not much. I don't have the time, really.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2005, 08:27:13 PM »

I've read Genesis, and it IS very fantastical, whether you believe it or not - seems to me KEmperor just can't get himself into books that are too far off from the realism he's used to. And let's be fair here - opebo wouldn't even bother making an attempt to read the Bible.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2005, 08:46:08 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2005, 08:48:50 PM by Storebought »

I've read Genesis, and it IS very fantastical, whether you believe it or not - seems to me KEmperor just can't get himself into books that are too far off from the realism he's used to. And let's be fair here - opebo wouldn't even bother making an attempt to read the Bible.

The cavalier dismissal of the whole Bible as fiction was what really irritated me.

Fine, you're an atheist. Then simply say, "I tried to read the Bible but I didn't believe it so I stopped". No sense adding your (offensive) value judgement on its worth, too.

To scorn a text that's been the basis of Western civilization, and which even today still animates the decency of so many people, like it's a comic book ... wow, I'm at a loss for words to describe my disgust.

Amazing, since I can't really call myself Christian, either.
PADem

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2005, 09:06:21 PM »

I have read some of it, and it does contain some good insights..

However, I think some people take it WAY, WAY too seriously. The Bible can never be proven as fact, and never proven as the word of God either.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2005, 10:29:19 PM »

Certainly not!  I may have been forced to read some of that propaganda as a child, but can only hope I have forgotten it.  I can remember thinking it was crap then, even at a very young age.

So, Opebo, were you raised as a Christian?

Of course, Alcon.  But only in the most offhand way.  I can never remember a time when I wasn't thinking - 'surely they're joking'.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »

Option 4. Not much admittedly, but I got the important parts down, and really, John 3:16 pretty much sums the whole book up.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2005, 10:57:02 PM »

I picked by far the most popular option, it seems. Smiley

Ditto
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2005, 11:36:18 PM »

Sat down one night in Oct 1992 and opened a bible and started reading the New Testament book of Galatians...God opened my eyes within an hour, spoke to me, gave me his Holy Spirit and a new life.  Read the entire bible within the next two weeks.

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2005, 07:26:05 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2005, 07:30:56 AM by AFCJ KEmperor »

The cavalier dismissal of the whole Bible as fiction was what really irritated me.

Fine, you're an atheist. Then simply say, "I tried to read the Bible but I didn't believe it so I stopped". No sense adding your (offensive) value judgement on its worth, too.

To scorn a text that's been the basis of Western civilization, and which even today still animates the decency of so many people, like it's a comic book ... wow, I'm at a loss for words to describe my disgust.

Amazing, since I can't really call myself Christian, either.

No, it had absolutely nothing to do with whether I believe it to be true or not.  I was criticising it on literary grounds, I found the first chapter too hard to get through and so I stopped.  It's happened before with other books.

And it's not so much realism as the way it was presented.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2005, 11:06:32 AM »

All of it the KJV
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2005, 01:46:46 PM »

Option 1, though these days I tend to skip most of the Old Testament.

Same here.
Bugs

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2005, 09:05:32 PM »

I have read it several times and am in the process of translating my own version.
PADem

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2005, 12:19:49 AM »

Sat down one night in Oct 1992 and opened a bible and started reading the New Testament book of Galatians...God opened my eyes within an hour, spoke to me, gave me his Holy Spirit and a new life.  Read the entire bible within the next two weeks.

Are you serious? Or taking the piss?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2005, 05:24:32 AM »

Are you serious? Or taking the piss?

I expect he's deadly serious.  How else can jamfest put a Bible quote in every other post, that somehow is meant to back up whatever he's talking about?
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2005, 06:06:16 AM »

Yep, not in one sitting, of course, but I've read it cover to cover about twice.

#4... boooooriiiiing Tongue

I tried reading it cover-to-cover once, and I got stuck in the Bob begat Bob begat Bob begat Bob begat Bob part of Genesis Tongue

THAT is the BEST[/u] PART!!!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »

Nice tosee you believe in irresistible grace.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »

More than half of it. But it's never been in order and it's all over the whole book.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2005, 11:14:38 AM »

I thought I had read teh bible, but I have later realized it must have been a simplified version. I'm reasonably familiar with much of it, so I voted less than half rather than none.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2005, 06:45:37 PM »

I have read it several times and am in the process of translating my own version.

That is wrong 100% wrong.. God made the Bible who are you to make a version? No one....
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2005, 07:06:21 PM »

That is wrong 100% wrong.. God made the Bible who are you to make a version? No one....
By that logic, the Bible should never have been translated into English. Do you think that everyone should be forced to read it in ancient languages like Hebrew and Greek?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2005, 07:32:16 PM »

Can you read both Hebrew and Greek?

If not, then you're reading a translation of at least part of the Bible too, as are likely 99.9999% of Christians.  The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and the New Testament was originally written in Greek.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2005, 07:35:50 PM »

I am going to start reading the Bible again soon, as I am hitting a stressful time. I will most likely start at the beginning of the New Testament.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2005, 08:05:11 PM »

I am going to start reading the Bible again soon, as I am hitting a stressful time. I will most likely start at the beginning of the New Testament.

I can think of at least twenty books you'd be better off reading if you want to unwind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies