America: 2000-2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:19:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80094 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2007, 09:51:21 PM »

The Leaders

President: Jon Kyl
Vice President: Tim Pawlenty

Speaker of the House: Mike Pence
House Majority Leader: John Shadegg
House Majority Whip: Jeb Hensarling
House Minority Leader: Ed Markey
House Minority Whip: Rahm Emanuel

Senate Majority Leader: Chuck Schumer
Senate Majority Whip: Harold Ford
Senate Minority Leader: John Ensign
Senate Minority Whip: Kay Bailey Hutchinson

The first true update will come tomorrow.  Tonight's update was merely to give you all a look at who will be the major players in this section of the timeline.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: February 16, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »

Can I just say, this is a very good piece of work. Well done.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2007, 11:28:10 PM »

My friends, I am sorry that I have not updated this in over a week.  Please allow me some more time, but this is not dead, and not over. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #353 on: May 03, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »

*COUGH*

Sorry, must be some dust in my throat. I keep coughing.

*COUGH*COUGH*
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »

Have you heard what happened to poor Yates?

It's sad to think about that when viewing the work on here.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2007, 02:16:58 PM »

No, I haven't heard anything.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »

Have you heard what happened to poor Yates?

It's sad to think about that when viewing the work on here.

What happened Huh
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »

Brain tumor according to a thread posted in Forum Community.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2007, 10:09:09 PM »

I hope Yates continues this great work in the time he has left. It'd be sad to see him go with this piece unfinished. Sad
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2007, 10:10:09 PM »

Brain tumor according to a thread posted in Forum Community.

I didn't hear that. I hope all is well with him. He's quite the talented person.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #360 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »

Can a moderator lock this thread? I doubt that Yates will be updating this. Sad
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »

Sadly I concur.

But I will say that this (and J.J's Nixon TL) was the best TL I have ever read. This will be one we'll never forget!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2007, 06:58:04 PM »

Sadly I concur.

But I will say that this (and J.J's Nixon TL) was the best TL I have ever read. This will be one we'll never forget!

Yes, it truly was a good timeline. Too bad it remains unfinished. Sad
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »

It will be in the Atlasia What-If Hall of Fame if there is ever one. A truly great timeline.

What's this J.J's Nixon TL I keep on hearing about? Where can I find this?
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #364 on: May 08, 2007, 12:33:45 PM »

It will be in the Atlasia What-If Hall of Fame if there is ever one. A truly great timeline.

What's this J.J's Nixon TL I keep on hearing about? Where can I find this?

In the Alternate timeline...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=31287.0

A great piece, IMO.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »

Yates was a fraud.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #366 on: December 24, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

BUMP

Why? How?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #367 on: December 24, 2009, 08:04:14 PM »

Because he played everyone for a sap, like an asshole. I cant even begin to explain it, I'm sure someone else will, but I cant think of a single person who was active when Yates was here who wasnt, and might still be pissed at him.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »

An update will be posted tonight.  I thank readers for accepting me back and for your interest.  I look forward to the continuation and completion of this timeline.  It is the reason I have returned.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2010, 05:22:57 PM »

As a reminder, we will be resuming where the timeline left off after the election of Jon Kyl as President in 2008.  This is not to self-promote, but I would urge anyone who plans to follow this timeline to read it up until this point.  The world in this timeline operates independently from real life and much of what will happen is a result of what I have written in the past twenty or so pages. 
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #370 on: December 27, 2010, 05:25:05 PM »

I've already read it today. Smiley Looking forward to tonight's installment!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: December 27, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. –Abraham Lincoln
AMERICA: 2000 - 2016

THE INAUGURATION OF PRESIDENT JON KYL

January 20, 2009 marks the end of Wesley Clark’s Presidency.  Scholars, politicians, diplomats, and the American public all agree that his tenure as President has been among the most successful in United States history.  A few days earlier, President Clark had delivered his farewell address to the American people, urging his successor to aim for a more peaceful world.  “If history teaches us one lesson: peace and prosperity are brothers,” says Clark.  The soon-to-be-former President intends to retire quietly after a long and dignified career of serving his nation.

As the era of Clark and Holbrooke concludes, President-elect Jon Kyl and Vice President-elect Tim Pawlenty seek to create their own legacy.  As new Speaker of the House Mike Pence has built the Republican campaign on, Kyl seeks to make the 21st century the “new American century,” ensuring the United States remains the dominant world force in the decades to come.  Modeling his White House after his predecessor’s, Kyl creates a trio who will effectively govern the nation.  Vice President Pawlenty will be overseeing domestic policy.  Treasury Secretary-designate Christopher Cox, one of Kyl’s rivals for the 2008 Republican nomination, will be overseeing economic policy.  Finally, Secretary of State Bill Richardson will be continuing in his role in a bipartisan manner, charged by the incoming President to cement America’s role as the leader of the free world.

Despite the unity of the executive branch, Congress appears to be heading towards a renewal of hostilities from the days not long ago when Jon Kyl and Dick Durbin led their parties into battle before every vote.  House Speaker Pence, Majority Leader John Shadegg, and Majority Whip Jeb Hensarling have prepared an ambitious agenda including establishing a national flat income tax.  Their efforts will meet fierce opposition from Democrats, led by Minority Leader Ed Markey and Minority Whip Rahm Emanuel.  The more dignified Senate appears equally divided, with the Democrats led by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Majority Whip Harold Ford, who many see as the new face of the Democratic Party.  The Senate Republicans are led by Minority Leader John Ensign, President-elect Kyl’s reported protégé, and Minority Whip Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

With the looming battles upcoming in Washington, all players and decision-makers take Inauguration Day to celebrate the peaceful transfer of power that has led America to where she proudly stands.  At noon on the dot, Jon Kyl takes the oath of office to become the 46th President of the United States.  His inaugural address conveys his determination.  “For too long, government has charged itself with the mere maintenance of America’s greatness,” he declares.  “It is time for an era of responsibility to begin.  I speak of the responsibility of every generation to leave our nation in the hands of our children stronger than when we inherited it from our parents.”  Addressing the issue of foreign affairs, “It is our deepest prayer that humanity’s darkest hours are behind us, and we can now progress towards a world where fear is replaced with hope.  America will no longer settle to be a passive example for nations to follow, but an active guide for people who want to change their own nation to make it more democratic, free, and equal.”  

After his well-received address, President Kyl enters the Oval Office for the first time as its occupant and holds a short meeting with his top aides.  “We may have four or eight years here, but I want us all to act as if today is our last day in office.  The results we can accomplish in this building in one day can change the lives of millions of Americans.  Let’s get to work.”

NEXT: Will the Republicans’ legislative agenda succeed or succumb to opposition?  Also, President Kyl may not realize his dream for a more peaceful world.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #372 on: December 27, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »

I've just read it.. not bad ^^
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #373 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »

Speaker of the House Mike Pence

Despite barely winning the 2008 Presidential election, President Kyl begins his term with high approval ratings due to his well-received inaugural address.  Along with Speaker Pence and Senator Ensign, Kyl outlines three goals for his first one hundred days in office: 1) establishing a flat income tax system; 2) passing a treaty with Russia to reduce each nation’s nuclear stockpiles by half; 3) creating a national school voucher program for lower-income students.  Though the second goal is expected to receive unanimous approval, the others are likely to meet fierce opposition from Democrats, who maintain a majority in the Senate.

In his first international trip, President Kyl travels to Moscow to meet with Russian President Dmitri Medvedev.  The two speak frankly of the dangers of nuclear weapons, having so recently seen nuclear war and its consequences.  Along with diplomats and advisors, the two leaders tentatively agree to the Nuclear Arms Reduction Treaty (NART).  The treaty entails the destruction of half of each nation’s nuclear stockpile to be enforced by the IAEA.  While the treaty would likely be approved by the United States Senate, Medvedev is unsure of the response from the Russian Duma or his predecessor (some would say boss) Vladimir Putin.  Despite the uncertainty over Russia’s approval of the treaty, President Kyl and Secretary Richardson return home to high approval of their diplomatic mission.

CNN POLL
February 16, 2009
Do you approve of the job President Kyl is doing?
[67%] YES
[22%] NO
[11%] UNSURE/IN BETWEEN

Back in Washington, the House is locked in intense debate over a bill to revise the tax code into a national flat income tax.  The bill was largely written by Majority Whip Jeb Hensarling and Republican Conference Chairman Eric Cantor and is supported by most House Republicans.  However, some moderate Republicans stand in opposition, most notably Congressman Dave Reichert, who sits on the powerful Ways and Means Committee which controls tax policy.  “The progressive tax system ensures that those who benefit most from America’s freedom contribute most to her well-being,” says Reichert.  “While taxes need to be constantly re-examined and ideally lowers, a flat tax places undue burden on those who cannot afford to shell out more money to the federal government.”  The Republican House leadership responds to such challengers by threatening committee seats and advancement opportunities.  The brutality is matched by the Democratic Whip, Rahm Emanuel, who engages in the same tactics.  The bill eventually passes the House on exact partisan lines and moves on to the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Majority Whip Harold Ford have pre-empted the bill’s arrival in the Senate by individually meeting with all Democratic Senators.  Senator Mike Ciresi of Minnesota notably stands against his party, supporting flat tax as a method to stimulate the economy.  He is joined by several other moderate Democrats such as Joe Lieberman.  Schumer is hesitant to use forceful measures to pressure his Senators to vote a certain way.  Meanwhile, Republican Leader John Ensign and Whip Kay Bailey Hutchinson have unified their party in favor of the measure.  Both Schumer and Ensign agree not to filibuster.  The American public is surveyed as being strongly opposed to the proposal, with nearly 70% in opposition.  This is credited largely to a media campaign by Senator Ford to portray the bill as elitist and the bill’s authors and supporters as not aware of the suffering of ordinary Americans.  Despite this, the bill passes Senate and is signed by President Kyl on March 11, 2009.  

Conservatives hail the passage of the flat tax as a historic achievement and much credit is given to Speaker Pence, who included the measure as a hallmark of his legislative agenda.  However, the majority of Americans are upset at Congress having passed a bill so overwhelmingly opposed by the public.  Senator Barbara Boxer calls the Republican Party “completely numb to the pain of the American people.”  Privately, Boxer leads a challenge to Schumer’s leadership of the Senate caucus, though first urging Harold Ford to challenge his boss.  When Ford refuses, Boxer begins soliciting support to run for Senate Majority Leader.  After gathering over thirty signatures from frustrated Democratic Senators, Boxer forces an election.  Schumer stands down and Boxer is elected unopposed, with Ford remaining Whip.  Boxer’s first order of business as Majority Leader is to punish disloyal Democrats with a revocation of key committee assignments.  Upon being stripped of his committee seniority, Senator Ciresi announces his switch to the Republican Party.  “The new Democratic leader is evidently not a supporter of one’s American right to have an opinion and act in the interest of one’s nation,” says Ciresi.

Senator Mike Ciresi

The Democratic media campaign against flat tax is effective and results in shrinking approval ratings for President Kyl.  Nevertheless, he urges Congressional Republicans to proceed with his second major domestic agenda item: a federal school vouchers program.  The attention of Washington and the entire nation is diverted on March 29, 2009 when disturbing news is reported:

*Disclaimer* The events portrayed below are not at all the wishes of the author and are merely being described for the purposes of entertainment.

CHECHNYAN TERRORISTS ATTACK MOSCOW METRO, AT LEAST 50 DEAD

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: December 28, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »

Tonight: What will the Russian leadership's response be to the attack?  Also, how will the rest of the Republican Agenda pan out?  Stay tuned as 2009 becomes the year of a world in decline.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies