Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 323
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 232353 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: October 17, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »

I24 reporting that: Initial investigation by IDF shows explosion in hospital in Gaza was caused by a failed Hamas rocket launch.

First "reputable" source so far.

https://www.i24news.tv/en

It's owned by an Israeli billionaire with pro-Israel leanings , it just isn't a reputable source in this case, just like Al Jazeera isn't
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2426 on: October 17, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »

I24 reporting that: Initial investigation by IDF shows explosion in hospital in Gaza was caused by a failed Hamas rocket launch.

It's owned by an Israeli billionaire with pro-Israel leanings , it just isn't a reputable source in this case, just like Al Jazeera isn't

Hence the "reputable" in quotes.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2427 on: October 17, 2023, 02:24:50 PM »

my bad
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2428 on: October 17, 2023, 02:25:56 PM »

my bad

I should have made it more clear. I was hesitant to post the link, but it appears that's where multiple social media posts were getting their info from.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #2429 on: October 17, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »

Is the bombing of the hospital confirmed?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2430 on: October 17, 2023, 02:40:32 PM »

Ultimately, Palestinian liberationism will be defeated only when foreign sympathy for it is completely destroyed.

In that case, the israeli response may have sustained it for years.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #2431 on: October 17, 2023, 02:41:00 PM »

The IDF would have no interest in telling the truth if it were them.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2432 on: October 17, 2023, 02:41:20 PM »

Is the bombing of the hospital confirmed?

The hospital is confirmed yes, although the who, how and why are all up in the air
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2433 on: October 17, 2023, 02:41:34 PM »

There are few people who have less influence and relevance than the people who think that literally all white people in North America should go back to Europe. This is a fringe position even among "decolonial" activists, for whom "decolonization" is more comparable to Bolivia.

What, are they calling for a commodity boom and legalizing coca? (Or just packing the judiciary with people they like?) Apart from trying to stay in office for a long time and sparking the eventual military coup, Morales does not strike me as having been that special of a leader. He didn't even really nationalize anything (apart from, in my understanding, very scattered cases where private contracts had been obtained in corrupt ways), and basically just hugely raised corporate taxes at a time when the economy was booming so much that it could bear them.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2434 on: October 17, 2023, 02:42:54 PM »

The IDF has made their claim that it was a failed IJ rocket launch. Now we see if they have any evidence for this..
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2435 on: October 17, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »

It does get frustrating that western news organizations quote "Palestinian Health Officials" verbatim, even though its a Hamas spokesman. If the IDF is correct and the Hospital was hit with Hamas rockets, then it's been almost 2 hours of multiple news websites top headline essentially being "IDF blows up hospital, kills 100s of innocent civilians".

There are currently multiple violet protests happening in the middle east right now because of this. Even more people are going to be killed. All for what could be a horrific accident.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2436 on: October 17, 2023, 02:51:19 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2437 on: October 17, 2023, 02:53:03 PM »

It does get frustrating that western news organizations quote "Palestinian Health Officials" verbatim, even though its a Hamas spokesman. If the IDF is correct and the Hospital was hit with Hamas rockets, then it's been almost 2 hours of multiple news websites top headline essentially being "IDF blows up hospital, kills 100s of innocent civilians".

There are currently multiple violet protests happening in the middle east right now because of this. Even more people are going to be killed. All for what could be a horrific accident.

Imagine thinking Western media is biased against Israel. Just lmao. Boy do I wish we had emojis so I could fill this post up with even more laughs.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2438 on: October 17, 2023, 02:55:47 PM »

Would be consistent with the 'rocket depot', and I guess some evidence that the strike itself probably wasn't Israeli. (A lot of bullsh**t coming through in pro-Israeli sources too, though -- the stuff about a large rocket being launched at Haifa is probably either made up or unrelated, because it doesn't actually seem like the initial rocket is very large at all.)

The IDF would have no interest in telling the truth if it were them.

I mean, that goes for both sides. This is an argument for, like, radical skepticism and not trusting any reports.

Ultimately, Palestinian liberationism will be defeated only when foreign sympathy for it is completely destroyed.

In that case, the israeli response may have sustained it for years.

Is that so? This is what was said after the wars in 2009/2014 too, and after the "Great March" stuff in 2018-2019, and at least in American public polling and continued international rapprochement that really doesn't seem to have been the case. (I'm less familiar with European public polling, but it seems kind of obvious that most of the governments on the Continent support Israel much more than they did in, say, 2001.)

Of course the issue is substantially support for Palestinian-ism among a particular faction of society (journalists and NGO workers), among whom I can well believe the wars left less support for Israel, if there was ever much to start with. I think at a certain point these organizations will be curtailed by First World governments, but we are probably decades away from that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2439 on: October 17, 2023, 02:55:55 PM »

I maintained an open mind, until now. There's still a possibility it was something else, but if they're going to lie and use a video of another launch, I'm somewhat more inclined to believe the IDF was responsible.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2440 on: October 17, 2023, 02:56:08 PM »

Imagine thinking Western media is biased against Israel. Boy do I wish we had emojis so I could fill this post up with laughs.

It's not that I think they're biased against Israel. But extraordinary claims require evidence. This was an extraordinary claim and Israel is denying with their own evidence. 2 hours of one sided coverage might cost lives. They're are violent protests going on at this very moment because Hamas immediately came out and blamed the IDF. 
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2441 on: October 17, 2023, 02:56:50 PM »

Imagine thinking Western media is biased against Israel. Just lmao. Boy do I wish we had emojis so I could fill this post up with even more laughs.

They are biased against wealthy societies (and people) and in favor of poorer societies (and people) very broadly. The bias in favor of the Palestinians is just a particularly galling and obvious case study of this.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2442 on: October 17, 2023, 02:57:15 PM »

They are biased against wealthy societies (and people) and in favor of poorer societies (and people) very broadly. The bias in favor of the Palestinians is just a particularly galling and obvious case study of this.

Lol
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2443 on: October 17, 2023, 02:58:32 PM »

Imagine thinking Western media is biased against Israel. Boy do I wish we had emojis so I could fill this post up with laughs.

It's not that I think they're biased against Israel. But extraordinary claims require evidence. This was an extraordinary claim and Israel is denying with their own evidence. 2 hours of one sided coverage might cost lives. They're are violent protests going on at this very moment because Hamas immediately came out and blamed the IDF. 

IDF took way too long to deny their involvement. They should have come out right away and denied, they didn't need a culprit right away.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2444 on: October 17, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »

When the Israeli president says "there are no civilians in Gaza" you shouldn't be surprised when the IDF acts like that's the case.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2445 on: October 17, 2023, 03:00:33 PM »

Then why is it impossible to find decent coverage of African affairs from Western media?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #2446 on: October 17, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »

I'm not saying it's impossible that this was the result of a misfire (though candidly it seems unlikely to me), but if you are uncritically parroting the IDF (or Hamas!) line ITT or elsewhere even despite zero evidence, you are a complete rube.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2447 on: October 17, 2023, 03:11:03 PM »

One of the dumbest statements I've read on here for a while
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2448 on: October 17, 2023, 03:13:17 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2449 on: October 17, 2023, 03:17:36 PM »

Then why is it impossible to find decent coverage of African affairs from Western media?

Presumably because there is little interest?

Lol

I mean, today's stuff is open-and-shut: you have articles published just repeating the takes of the Palestinian government (or, actually, random individuals in the Health Ministry) and not even at attempt to ask the other side (there's no "Israeli government couldn't be reached for comment", or refused to comment, in these).

But, yeah, this has been happening for many decades (and specific examples of it, like "photo of a tank driving away from a child presented as the tank driving towards the child", are famous enough to have been used as stock examples of 'media bias affects conflicts' in my college International Relations courses*), and it ends with the general decline of trust in media.

*Which, in episode number million of "I only ever meet people with similar views to mine", portrayed Israel extremely sympathetically, though I think in hindsight Ohio State was actually one of the earliest places at which you saw a substantial center-left pro-Israel reaction; there's a thread on AAD where I discuss the reasons for this, but it was already happening in student groups by the time I showed up, so the second term of Obama. By 2019 or so it was everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 323  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies