SurveyUSA July 2007 Governor Approval Ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:21:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SurveyUSA July 2007 Governor Approval Ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SurveyUSA July 2007 Governor Approval Ratings  (Read 6145 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:21 AM »

State-Governor-Approve-Disapprove

AL - Bob Riley: 64-32
CA - Arnold Schwarzenegger: 50-44
IA - Chet Culver: 56-38
KS - Kathleen Sebelius: 70-28
KY - Ernie Fletcher: 39-57 - Up for re-election 2007
MA - Deval Patrick: 53-40
MN - Tim Pawlenty: 53-42
MO - Matt Blunt: 48-46 - Up for re-election 2008
NM - Bill Richardson: 65-32
NY - Eliot Spitzer: 53-38
OH - Ted Strickland: 58-32
OR - Ted Kulongoski: 51-43
VA - Tim Kaine: 60-34
WA - Christine Gregoire: 54-39 - Up for re-election 2008
WI - Jim Doyle: 44-50

TX was not polled in July.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50StateTracking.html
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 02:07:56 AM »

What's with Jim Doyle's low numbers?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 02:13:01 AM »

Hmm. I don´t know, he reached a high in the poll done after his re-election victory in November 2006 when he had a 55-42 approval rating and slided to 41-52 approval in June 2007. He now seems to recover a bit:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollTrack.aspx?g=f39a977e-7799-4009-ac89-698bbc1c2429

What´s interesting is that Beshear gets about the same %age of votes who disapprove of Fletcher.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:56 AM »

Blunt has a net approval rating? Whoa...
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »

IA - Chet Culver: 56-38
This is great. Chet Culver should run for senate in 2010.... This can only help dems win the state in 2010 too.

KS - Kathleen Sebelius: 70-28
Take that Bill O'Reilly!

Since I want to promote Biden to SoS, he should just run for senate in 2008 too. He won't though. Idiot.

NY - Eliot Spitzer: 53-38
These are pretty low for Spitzer.

OH - Ted Strickland: 58-32
Dem column 2008, can only help!

VA - Tim Kaine: 60-34
Let's keep VA going blue.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:36:06 AM »

Since I want to promote Biden to SoS

Im guessing youre talking about Secretary of State, not me. Smiley

Its good to see Kulongoski back in the black numbers, and Gregoire's #'s leave little worrying for me at this point.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:47 AM »

Spitzer has been overplaying his hand, appearing like a bully against the Senate Republicans and allowing those Republicans to form an alliance with Bloomberg.  I expect certain others to chime in differently, but at present he is losing that battle politically.

I can't really understand why he's giving a demoralized NY GOP anything to actually fight for at this point.  Being a little more concillatory would probably have strengthened his hand (and he would have gotten more passed).

In short, the honeymoon is over.  These numbers are not surprising.

Blunt's numbers may be an outlier, maybe not.  People have been writing him off too quickly, like Daniels, even though I find amusing writing the conclusion for the IN race on polls that are at least 9 months old.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 09:43:22 AM »

Spitzer has been overplaying his hand, appearing like a bully against the Senate Republicans and allowing those Republicans to form an alliance with Bloomberg.  I expect certain others to chime in differently, but at present he is losing that battle politically.

I can't really understand why he's giving a demoralized NY GOP anything to actually fight for at this point.  Being a little more concillatory would probably have strengthened his hand (and he would have gotten more passed).

Blunt's numbers may be an outlier, maybe not.  People have been writing him off too quickly, like Daniels, even though I find amusing writing the conclusion for the IN race on polls that are at least 9 months old.
Bloomberg has always had an alliance with the Republican senate. Anyway.... Spitzer has already picked up 1 assembly republican seat (party switcher) and won a senate seat for the dems.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 11:58:24 AM »

dayam
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2007, 12:14:52 PM by The Tie That Binds »

There's 15 polls, so odds are one is a 1-in-20. Missouri is likely that.

And do you Republicans honestly believe Pawlenty can lock up this state on the ticket with those approvals? I'm not saying they're horrible or anything, but come on. (furthermore once must take into account Minnesota leans toward high approval ratings like the opposite of NJ, and they would almost certainly drop if he was added on a ticket and seen as focusing more on the campaign than the state)

Same goes for people who think Arnold can beat Boxer.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »

There's 15 polls, so odds are one is a 1-in-20. Missouri is likely that.

And do you Republicans honestly believe Pawlenty can lock up this state on the ticket with those approvals? I'm not saying they're horrible or anything, but come on. (furthermore once must take into account Minnesota leans toward high approval ratings like the opposite of NJ, and they would almost certainly drop if he was added on a ticket and seen as focusing more on the campaign than the state)

Same goes for people who think Arnold can beat Boxer.
LOL ARNIE BEATING BOXER

We'll never elect a Republican to the Senate. They've had their day in this state.
RBH

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »

Blunt's going to get hurt badly if he has to give back $4M of the $4.6M he raised because the MO Supreme Court overruled the repeal of campaign donation limits.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »

He's never been liked at all, people just liked him better than his Republican opponants (which is why he became "popular" around election time).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »

Why the Hell didn't they poll Mississippi?
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »

I gotta admit Doyle's numbers scare me. (could this mean the Republicans will pick up the governor's mansion in 2010?)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »

I gotta admit Doyle's numbers scare me. (could this mean the Republicans will pick up the governor's mansion in 2010?)

The Republicans just need the right candidate. They had Tommy Thompson beating Doyle in 2006 with in the upper 50's. If they would have somebody like him (or Tommy himself) they could win.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 08:32:25 PM »

Doyle was about that unpopular in August 2006, too. His numbers picked up before the election because Wisconsin wasn't prepared to elect Green, either. He'd have to actually get involved in a scandal to drop lower, though.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »

But what'll happen in 2010?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 12:33:47 AM »

I wouldn't say Spitzer has overplayed his hand, he is fighting to do what he campaigned to do.  try to bring change to the way the State Assembly and Senate worked.  His tactics may have turned off some people, but when it comes down to it I think it will pass, especially as the guy he has clashed the most with could very well be in legal hot water (the State Senate Majority leader Joseph Bruno)
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 05:02:52 AM »

Why the Hell didn't they poll Mississippi?

Because there's no point.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »

Doyle was about that unpopular in August 2006, too. His numbers picked up before the election because Wisconsin wasn't prepared to elect Green, either. He'd have to actually get involved in a scandal to drop lower, though.

Besides what I said already, members of his cabinet are already in scandals and he hasn't done alot or what a lot of people want him to do. He also said he won't sign anything to reinstate the death penalty even though we voted that we wanted it last November.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 09:00:57 AM »

He also said he won't sign anything to reinstate the death penalty even though we voted that we wanted it last November.

Good guy - Approve Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 02:26:45 PM »

But there is a point in polling NM and AL, where we already know the incumbents are popular and will never be up for reelection again?

You can deny it all you want, but Barbour is up for reelection, and any data would be valuable.
There has not been a single public poll done on the race, nor has Barbour's approval been polled in months.  It would only be logical to occasionally gather a bit of data on the race...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »

They poll wherever a local media outlet has commissioned them to, Harry.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »

He also said he won't sign anything to reinstate the death penalty even though we voted that we wanted it last November.

Good guy - Approve Smiley

Eventually doing that (going against what most people in the state wants) will hurt him enough. Hopefully that will be in 2010.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies