Virginia with "normal" counties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Virginia with "normal" counties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia with "normal" counties  (Read 3744 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2004, 07:07:26 AM »

Just wanted to see how the Virginia map would look without all those Independent Cities.
I've allocated all the cities to counties - in most cases it was fairly obvious what had to go where, but not in all the cases:
- I added Galax to Grayson
- I added Petersburg and Hopewell to Prince George
- I added not only Fairfax city and Falls Church but also Alexandria and Arlington to Fairfax county
- I kept Suffolk "city" as a county
- I kept Newport News and Hampton cities as Hampton county
- I kept Norfolk, VB, Portsmouth and Chesapeake as Chesapeake county
- I may be forgetting something

Adding Norton city to Wise county makes it go Democrat
Adding all those cities to Fairfax county makes it go Democrat (though Fairfax city went Republican)
Adding Charlottesville city to Albemarle county makes it go Democrat
Adding Richmond city to Henrico county makes it go Democrat
Adding Petersburg and (Republican) Hopewell cities to Princ George county makes it go Democrat

On the other hand,
Democratic Roanoke city gets swallowed by Republican Roanoke county (which also takes Republican Salem city)
Dem Martinsville disappears into Rep Henry county
Democratic Clifton Forge and Covington cities can't make Alleghany county Dem
Same thing with Dem Lexington and Rep Rockbridge county (which also takes Rep Buena Vista)
And with Dem Fredericksburg and Rep Spotsylvania county
That new Chesapeake county would also be Repulican though two of it's cities (Norfolk and Portsmouth) were Dem.

Elsewhere, there was of course no change because:
Washington county and Bristol city are both Rep
Ditto Grayson and Galax
Ditto Pulaski and Radford
Ditto Pittsylvania and Danville
Ditto Bedford county and Bedford city
Ditto Campbell and Lynchburg
Ditto Augusta and both Staunton and Waynesboro
Ditto Rockingham and Harrisonburg
Ditto Frederick and Winchester
Ditto Prince William and both Manassas and Manassas Park
Ditto Chesterfield and Colonial Heights
Ditto James City county and Williamsburg
Ditto York county and Poquoson
while
Greensville county and Emporia city and
Southampton county and Franklin city offer the opposite case - both were Dem anyways.
Same goes for  my Hampton county - both parts are Dem.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 09:34:56 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2004, 09:35:23 AM by WalterMitty »

"Ditto Pulaski and Radford"

radford folks probably feel more kinship with montgomery county than pulaski.

the new river is the line between pulaski and montgomery.  radford is on the other side of the river.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:44:57 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2004, 05:47:46 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

the new river is the line between pulaski and montgomery.  radford is on the other side of the river.
One of the problematic cases I forgot to mention...I'll take a look at the Montgomery result...
-EDIT: Doesn't change anything. Montgomery is not as Republican as Pulaski (by 8 rather than 14 points), but more so than Radford (3 points) -EDIT

Btw: Even where city and country went for the same candidate, the cities are always more Democratic - with three excemptions:
Colonial Heights is even more Rep than Chesterfield county, and Poquoson is even more Rep than York county. In both cases, the "city" is really a suburb.
Emporia is less solidly Dem than Greensville county.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:25:32 AM »

Just wanted to see how the Virginia map would look without all those Independent Cities.
I've allocated all the cities to counties - in most cases it was fairly obvious what had to go where, but not in all the cases:
- I added not only Fairfax city and Falls Church but also Alexandria and Arlington to Fairfax county
The census publication 'Population of States and Counties of the United States 1790 to 1990' a Census Bureau publication, provides population estimates of counties including associated cities.

It assigns Galax to Carroll (though it was formed from almost equal parts from Carroll and Grayson);

Petersburg to Dinwiddie (19.2K from Dinwiddie, 1.3K from Chesterfield, and 1.2K from Prince George.

Arlington and Alexandria were ceded (from Fairfax County) to the federal government to form part of DC.  When retroceded, the formed Alexandria County.  So your use of Fairfax matches the pre-1791 definition.

Suffolk was formed from Nansemond County

Newport News was formed from Warwick County.  Hampton was formed from Elizabeth City County.

Norfolk, Cheasapeake, and Portsmouth were formed from Norfolk County.

Virginia Beach was formed from Princess Anne County.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 07:31:34 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2004, 07:35:39 AM by Lewis Trondheim »

The census publication 'Population of States and Counties of the United States 1790 to 1990' a Census Bureau publication, provides population estimates of counties including associated cities.

It assigns Galax to Carroll (though it was formed from almost equal parts from Carroll and Grayson);
I assigned it to Grayson on the rather weak grounds that my RandMcNally Street Atlas puts the dot for Galax in the part that came from Grayson...I say "weak" because the dot for Clifton Forge is outside the city...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oh.... Prince George stays blue in that case, instead Dinwiddie goes red.

I knew that! Smiley

No matter. Look at a map - Suffolk "city"'s got a city in the middle and enough rural area for an ordinary county around it.

These historical counties don't exist anymore. I called my newformed counties "Hampton" and "Chesapeake" because of the geographical terms Hampton Roads and Chesapeake Bay.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 07:54:56 AM »

No matter. Look at a map - Suffolk "city"'s got a city in the middle and enough rural area for an ordinary county around it.
The county's name was Nansemond.  Suffolk City became independent before 1920.   Nansemond City was formed from the remainder of the county in 1972, and then annexed to Suffolk City in 1974.
If Virginia did not have independent cities, then the city of Virginia Beach would be in a different county than Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake.   Likewise Hampton and Newport News would be in different counties.  Small counties are not atypical for that area (see Mathews for example).  The counties south of Hampton Roads are somewhat larger because they include big chunks of the Dismal Swamp.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 08:52:24 AM »

The county's name was Nansemond.  Suffolk City became independent before 1920.   Nansemond City was formed from the remainder of the county in 1972, and then annexed to Suffolk City in 1974.
If Virginia did not have independent cities, then the city of Virginia Beach would be in a different county than Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake.   Likewise Hampton and Newport News would be in different counties.  Small counties are not atypical for that area (see Mathews for example).  The counties south of Hampton Roads are somewhat larger because they include big chunks of the Dismal Swamp.
True.
(Hey, btw: Just Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake without VB would be a Democratic county.)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 09:23:04 AM »

One of the problematic cases I forgot to mention...I'll take a look at the Montgomery result...
-EDIT: Doesn't change anything. Montgomery is not as Republican as Pulaski (by 8 rather than 14 points), but more so than Radford (3 points) -EDIT

Btw: Even where city and country went for the same candidate, the cities are always more Democratic - with three excemptions:
Colonial Heights is even more Rep than Chesterfield county, and Poquoson is even more Rep than York county. In both cases, the "city" is really a suburb.
Emporia is less solidly Dem than Greensville county.

lewis, you are right about montgomery not being as republican as pulaski.  the major reason for that is the influence of virginia tech university.  radford is also a college town....which is yet another reason it is more kin to montgomery county.
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 10:42:43 AM »

Lewis, Clifton Forge is no longer an independent city. A few years ago it merged back into Alleghany County
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 10:45:50 AM »

Lewis, Clifton Forge is no longer an independent city. A few years ago it merged back into Alleghany County
Thanx.
Still was in 2000, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies