Virginia with "normal" counties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:10:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Virginia with "normal" counties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia with "normal" counties  (Read 3772 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: August 23, 2004, 07:25:32 AM »

Just wanted to see how the Virginia map would look without all those Independent Cities.
I've allocated all the cities to counties - in most cases it was fairly obvious what had to go where, but not in all the cases:
- I added Galax to Grayson
- I added Petersburg and Hopewell to Prince George
- I added not only Fairfax city and Falls Church but also Alexandria and Arlington to Fairfax county
- I kept Suffolk "city" as a county
- I kept Newport News and Hampton cities as Hampton county
- I kept Norfolk, VB, Portsmouth and Chesapeake as Chesapeake county
The census publication 'Population of States and Counties of the United States 1790 to 1990' a Census Bureau publication, provides population estimates of counties including associated cities.

It assigns Galax to Carroll (though it was formed from almost equal parts from Carroll and Grayson);

Petersburg to Dinwiddie (19.2K from Dinwiddie, 1.3K from Chesterfield, and 1.2K from Prince George.

Arlington and Alexandria were ceded (from Fairfax County) to the federal government to form part of DC.  When retroceded, the formed Alexandria County.  So your use of Fairfax matches the pre-1791 definition.

Suffolk was formed from Nansemond County

Newport News was formed from Warwick County.  Hampton was formed from Elizabeth City County.

Norfolk, Cheasapeake, and Portsmouth were formed from Norfolk County.

Virginia Beach was formed from Princess Anne County.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 07:54:56 AM »

No matter. Look at a map - Suffolk "city"'s got a city in the middle and enough rural area for an ordinary county around it.
The county's name was Nansemond.  Suffolk City became independent before 1920.   Nansemond City was formed from the remainder of the county in 1972, and then annexed to Suffolk City in 1974.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
If Virginia did not have independent cities, then the city of Virginia Beach would be in a different county than Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake.   Likewise Hampton and Newport News would be in different counties.  Small counties are not atypical for that area (see Mathews for example).  The counties south of Hampton Roads are somewhat larger because they include big chunks of the Dismal Swamp.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies