Some questions about Canadian politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:00:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Some questions about Canadian politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some questions about Canadian politics  (Read 2126 times)
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »

There are certain things I'm aware of, like Quebec has started to trend more toward the Conservative Party, and that the Prairie Provinces have always been conservative, especially Alberta. However, I am lacking on details. I would essentially like to know more info regarding what provinces always vote for a certain party, the swing areas, the influential votergroups that the major parties try to court and so on. Also, it'd be nice to have a link to a site where there's more info on demographich breakdowns.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »

Statistics Canada is Canad's version of the Census Bureau and gives fairly good demographic information.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:30 AM »

The Conservatives apparently want to get the minority votes in the GTA. They did run Mark Warner in Toronto-Centre (a black candidate) but dumped him since he didn't follow Harper's shut up orders.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »

The Conservative Party is interesting as it brings together a very shaky coalition of different political ideologies, mostly as a result of its history. The Conservative Party is actually very young, having been formed only in 2003 by the merger of the Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservative Party, and those two threads run often against each other within the Conservatives, with many defections the result of old Alliance members (Harper once led the Alliance) driving out the more moderate and urban old Progressive Conservatives.

Unfortunately, history is not all that useful in talking about where the political parties stand today. Saskatchewan was for a long time the bastion of the leftist New Democratic Party, but today they hold no seats there (partially as a result of district boundaries; they're in a reasonably close second in more seats than the Liberals there, but the Liberals do hold a seat). Quebec was historically a Liberal stronghold, then a Progressive Conservative stronghold, and is now a Bloc Quebecois stronghold (not as strongly as it has been historically for other parties, but realistically no party but the BQ will win the most seats or votes in Quebec any time soon).

In fact, provinces are prone to wild swings and misleading party identifications. PEI may look like a Liberal stronghold federally, but it actually is probably the most conservative province, save Alberta, and its Liberal strength is largely party loyalty. The Conservatives tend to do well in British Columbia, not because they are all that popular, but because the Liberals and NDP (and now the Greens) tend to split the left-wing and centrist votes all over the place.

I could rant more, but I won't.

Also, if you're interested in electoral statistics: http://www.elections.ca/
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »

I personally hate the elections.ca website.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »

Thanks. A direct link to results would have been appreciated when it comes to the Elections Canada website. I'll look these over more when I have time.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »

http://www.elections.ca/intro.asp?section=pas&document=index&lang=e

Those only go back to 1997, however. Wikipedia has excellent coverage of historical Canadian politics and elections, which I believe our own EarlAW does a lot to maintain.

Also, the Parliament's website has a full list of historical election results:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/process/house/hfer/hfer.asp?Language=E
Kevinstat

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:38 PM »

Didn't the Liberals win more votes than the Bloc in Quebec in 2000?  (The Bloc won 2 more seats IIRC, but I've read the district lines in Quebec grossly favor the Bloc, or at least they did back then).  That was before the Liberal sponsorship scandal in 2004 and the emergence of the Conservatives as a viable third party in the province in 2006.  Perhaps the Bloc are safe at the #1 spot now for the forseeable future as Verily said.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »

Didn't the Liberals win more votes than the Bloc in Quebec in 2000?

Oui
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 03:05:48 AM »

Didn't the Liberals win more votes than the Bloc in Quebec in 2000?  (The Bloc won 2 more seats IIRC, but I've read the district lines in Quebec grossly favor the Bloc, or at least they did back then).  That was before the Liberal sponsorship scandal in 2004 and the emergence of the Conservatives as a viable third party in the province in 2006.  Perhaps the Bloc are safe at the #1 spot now for the forseeable future as Verily said.

Nothing is safe in Quebec these days. I don't think Quebecers like any of their choices.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies