Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:53:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 162392 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2008, 05:40:05 PM »

I'm doing this as a TL.  I will try to do my best.  I hope you all will like it.  I am going to research well.  Anyways,

we begin with Bryan having won the election.

Here's the map:

Bryan-230
McKinley 217.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »

Continue...
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »

The Senate looks like this:  47 Dems, 39 Reps, 3 Pop, 1 Silver Rep.
The House: 209 Reps, 120 Dems, 24 Pops, 4 Silver Reps.

March 4, 1897- W J Bryan is inaugurated President of the US.

One of Bryan's first actions as President is to see if he can pass a Silver Standard through Congress.  The Republicans in the House don't want to bring this up.  Democrats and the new Silver Republicans pressure the Republicans to bring it up.  The Republicans decide to bring it up.  There's much debate over the issue.  Republicans are saying "You'll get screwed out of 47 cents."  Democrats are saying "This is a better deal for you."  They convince some Republicans to come over to support it.

The House vote is 200 against it to 157 for it.  It fails in the House.  President Bryan says "We will need more Democrats in the House to bring this up again."

Then Bryan publically speaks in favor of woman suffrage.  He would like woman to be able to vote.  He goes on a speaking tour all across the US saying "Americans, we are all equal in this land of ours.  Let's let woman vote.  I am proud to be a fighter.  I have with me today Susan B Anthony, a great American."  Anthony speaks "I would really like you all to listen to President Bryan.  He's speaking from his heart."  After a few months of speaking tours President Bryan asks Congress to pass it.

The House introduces the legislation.  It says that woman will have the right to vote.

The House vote is 210-147 for it.  The Senate votes 45-43 against it.  Thus, this doesn't become law.  He urges people to turn out next year for the midterm elections so he can get more votes for this issue.

Even though they didn't have it at the time I will add it (as this is a what-if TL): Bryan's approval rating is 67%.  America really loves their President.  Their happy with him as President.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »

In the beginning of 1898 Spain was fighting with Cuba over them wanting independence.  The US thought that Cuba should have a peaceful independence but Spain didn't want it that way.

President Bryan meets with leaders of Congress about declaring war.  There are some Americans saying "This war isn't necessary" or "Don't kill our boys."  While this is going on President Bryan decides to address Congress and ask for a declaration of war against Spain.

The House debates it for awhile and then votes 245-112 for going to war.  Then the Senate votes 54-36.  Then President declares war on April 2, 1898.  The Presidents approval rating went from 67% to 61% because of the war. (remember i decided to do approval ratings, even though they didn't have them irl.)

The President assures Americans that this is the right thing to do.

Congress is debating having the people directly elect the Senators and House members as well as have a choice in the Presidential nominee of each party.  The debate goes on in Congress for a few weeks.  Finally it is decided to vote on it.

House vote: 257-100 for it.  Senate: 51-39 for it.  President Bryan considers the bill.  After a few weeks he says "America, if you want a true democracy then this is the way to go."  After that he signs it.

Now, the people can directly elect Senators and Congressman as well as have a choice in the Democratic or Republican nominee.

Meanwhile, the war is looking in Americas favor and Cuba is looking toward independence.  The US might even gain territories out of this.  But wait and see.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:10:31 PM »

The war drags on and on throughout the summer months of 1898.  Then an agreement comes.  The US and Spain sign the Treaty of Paris.  The US then gets Puerto Rico, Cuba and Guam as territories.  President Bryan didn't want the Phillipines so they become their own country.

Now the war is over and Americans are happy.  Then Bryan starts campaigning for Democrats in the fall election so he can get more legislation passed.  He gives speaking tours all across the country.

The war isn't that big of an issue as it is over.  But some still have it on their minds.

On Election Day in November, the results are as follows:

Senate: 50 Dems, 35 Reps, 5 Pops.  The Silver Reps and the Reps start to come together again.

Senate Majority Leader: Adlai Stevenson.  Senate Republican Leader: Robert Lincoln.  Senate Populist Leader: James Weaver.

House: 196 Reps, 153 Dems, 8 Pops.  The Democrats pick up some seats in the House.  Not a majority though.

President Bryan delivers a message (which is put in the newspaper):

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On December 29, 1898 America lets Cuba go free as an independent nation realizing that that's what they had wanted.  There were those who thought that war might be good but in the end they decided on a peaceful solution.

Bryan sent a message to Congress:

I will continue soon......................................
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2008, 07:14:19 PM by TommyC1776 »

As the beginning of 1899 it looks as if there might be a treaty between Spain and the US.  Bryan says "We've just made a deal with Spain."  The House and Senate ratify it by big margins.  That happens in February.

Congress debates having voting machines for federal elections.  The House approves it 300-52.  The Senate votes 67-23.  This makes people able to use voting machines.  President Bryan says "This is a great day in America.  We keep going with technology.  America is the country of technology."

On the first day of the 56th Congress President Bryan asks Congress to bring up the Silver Standard.

House Speaker Jesse Grant brings it up.  The House debates the bill.  They vote 203-147 against the bill.  The House fails to pass the bill.  The Republicans, in the House, decide to bring up the Gold Standard.  President Bryan and Democrats say they need to compromise on this bill somehow.  President Bryan asks Congress to bring up the bill again and compromise on it.  He would like to see more bills passed.  Senate Majority Leader Stevenson meets with President Bryan and House Minority Leader, James Hay, meet together.  They discuss a bill that would make some sort of monetary bill to get passed.

Also it is decided that the direct election of Senators and Congressman will become law in 1900.  It's a great idea according to most lawmakers.  I will continue soon.......
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2008, 09:48:37 PM by TommyC1776 »

In May 1899 the President asks Congress to bring up a monetary bill that would be a compromise between the 2 parties.   House Speaker says the bill will be Gold-Silver Standard Bill of 1899.  What it does it put parts of both ideas together.  This means some of the money would be made of gold and the other silver.  President Bryan says "This is a great day.  We have come together to do something.  We still haven't done what I wanted to do but we did get something done."

The House passes the bill 260-94.  The Senate votes 59-31.  President Bryan signs it into law.  It will last until the end of the year when another bill will come to the floor.

Possible opponents for Bryan are William McKinkey or even former President Ben Harrison.  There's even a chance of Robert Lincoln running.

If Lincoln wins the Rep nod in 1900 he could possibly defeat Bryan.  As I have done before is do a approval rating.  Bryan's at 60% approval rating.  Wait and see what happens.  Get excited.

How will things happen?  Wait.!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2008, 11:30:11 PM by TommyC1776 »

In August 1899 Congress passes the Foraker Act which established a civil government in Puerto Rico.  President Bryan asks the House and Senate to bring up woman sufferage issues.  Speaker of the House Jesse Grant brings up an Amendment.  They debate it.  The final vote is 231-120.  Then it goes to the Senate where it is debated for a few weeks.

VP Arthur Sewall condemned this act.  This is one issue where he disagreed with the President. 

Sewall made a statement, in order to prevent this from becoming law.

The Senate vote was 44-44.  It was a tie so VP Sewall  had the deciding vote.  He decided to vote against it.  President Bryan made a speech to the nation that shocked the nation:

It is now December 1899 and Robert Lincoln says he is going to run for President next year maybe.  He dedicates the next few months to speaking all across the country.  Republicans are really considering nominating him in the summer.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »

The Vice President is not allowed to address the Senate.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »

The Vice President is not allowed to address the Senate.

Thanks for the advice.  Thanks.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 12:20:59 AM »

In the middle of January 1900 Congress debates the Gold and Silver issue.  Speaker of the House Jesse Grant proposes a Gold Standard Bill.  The House votes 205-152.  The bill passes with some Democratic support.  The Senate brings up the bill and votes 46-42 against it.  The bill fails in the Senate.

President Bryan goes on a speaking tour all across the country to start campaigning as he feels that this may not be his year.  He campaigns hard for Democrats this year as best as he can.

Then, President Bryan speaks in favor of Child Labor Laws.  He says "Children should only work so many hours.  They should only work a maximum of 10 hours a week if they want to work."  He also tells woman that he will keep fighting for sufferage.

As summer gets closer it looks like Lincoln might be his opponent.

Republican Party Convention: June 19th-21st, 1900

Robert Lincoln, former President Harrison and former Presidential nominee, in 1896, make their case to the delegates.

1st round:
Robert T. Lincoln, 500
William McKinley, 345
Ben Harrison, 57
Undecided, 24

Harrison endorses Lincoln on the second ballot.

2nd round:
Robert T. Lincoln, 577
William McKinley, 321
Undecided, 28

3rd round:
Robert T. Lincoln, 633
William McKinley, 293.

Robert T. Lincoln is the Republican nominee.  The party nominates William McKinley for Vice President.

Democratic Party Convention July 4th-6th, 1900

William Jennings Bryan is nominated unanimously.  The convention picks former VP (and now Senator) Adlai Stevenson for Vice President.  They advocate to continue the progress this country has been on.

Now onto November.  The candidates look like they will be Bryan/Stevenson vs. Lincoln/McKinley.  Also the new Social-Democratic Party nominates Eugene Debs.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:35:10 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 01:45:34 PM by TommyC1776 »

Campaign 1900:

Robert Lincoln goes across the country saying that Bryan hasn't done much as President.  McKinley does a little campaigning for Lincoln in a few states.  Former President Benjamin Harrison comes out on the stump with Lincoln saying "Lincoln is our best hope for America. He's a very intelligent man. We need another Lincoln in the White House."

Bryan touts that he has gotten alot done with Republicans.  He tells voters "I worked hard to get some legislation passed and we did it.  We also won the war against Spain.  That's one of our greatest triumph's."

Stevenson goes out and tries to convince conservatives to vote for Bryan.  He hopes that they can swing the election in Bryan's favor.

VP Sewall dies in September.  There is a memorial.  President Bryan says "America we lost a great man today.  Vice President Arthur Sewall died.  He was a great man.  I will really miss you Arthur."  That was one of the only times that we saw the President get emotional.
Lincoln sends his condolences to the President and to America.  He states "We've lost a good man.  I may have disagreed with him but he was an interesting man.  You will be missed."

As the election nears there's a chance that Lincoln may win.

Lincoln makes  a BIG speech:
"Americans, my dad helped you all in times of crisis.  He was a great man.  I have to say that I am not my dad but I am very good in authority.  I helped win the Civil War.  I can't be my dad.  No one can.  But I will do my best to lead this country if I am elected to the best office in this country, the Presidency of the United States of America.  Thank you all."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:40:05 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 08:20:05 PM by TommyC1776 »

Lincoln wins the election 264-183.

Lincoln-blue
Bryan-red

PV%: Lincoln 51% Bryan 48.5% Debs 0.5%.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »

What were the percentages in Nebraska?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »

Senate results: 47 Dems, 39 Reps, 4 Pops.
House results: 209 Reps, 142 Dems, 6 Pops.

The Republicans gain seats in the House but the Democrats still hold a slim majority in the Senate.

President Bryan congratulates Senator Lincoln on his win.

Senate Majority Leader: Adlai Stevenson, Republican Leader: Teddy Roosevelt and Populist Leader: James Weaver.

House leaders:  Speaker of the House: Jesse Grant.  House Majority Leader: William Frye.  Democratic Leader: William R. Hearst.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 08:16:05 PM »

o sh**t.  i forgot about Nebraska.  sorry.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 08:36:09 PM »

In early 1901 the 56th Congress meets for the last time to decide on a bill for either Gold or Silver.  In the end the bill never gets off the ground.  There's still split decisions about the bill so it never is completed.

Robert Lincoln is inaugurated President on March 4, 1901.  He tells America "We will bring change to America.  I will do all I can to work with Democrats across the aisle.  It's a great accomplishment if you can work on both sides of the aisle.  Also it's great to be here today as the President of the United States."

Robert Lincoln would like Congress to pass a Gold Standard bill.  He plans to meet with Senate Leader Adlai Stevenson as well as Democratic House Leader William Hearst.  Speaker of the House Jesse Grant also plans to attend the meeting.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 11:18:17 PM »

The House debates the Gold Standard Bill and it passes 215-142.

Then the Senate holds the bill to a hault for awhile until they can decide how to present it and how the meeting goes between the President and Adlai Stevenson (Majority Leader).

President Lincoln and Senator Stevenson decide that this will come to the floor as it is with no compromise.  Senator Stevenson states that the Senate will bring up the bill in a few days.  The Populists plan to vote with the Democrats on this issue so it probably won't pass in the Senate.

Senator Stevenson says "I address the Senate today and I want to say that I would like you to consider voting against this bill.  Silver is the real coinage we need.  But I will let the vote go forth."  Senator Stevenson also says he plans to work well with the President as they worked well in the Senate together.

The Senate vote is 46-43.  It passes in the Senate barely with a couple Dems crossing-over to vote with the Reps on this issue in April.  Then President Lincoln signs the Gold Standard Act of 1901 into law.

Senate Leader Stevenson is upset with the way the vote went.

The next bill to come to the Senate floor is the Irrigation Act of 1901 which is about irrigating water in the West.  There's debate over the bill and how to address the issue.  The vote is set for the middle of May.

The House passes it 237-120.  After much debate the Senate passes it 49-41.  On May 21, 1901 President Lincoln signs it into law.

President Lincoln's approval rating is 55%.

As summer comes President Lincoln starts looking forward to campaigning for Republicans the next year.

Wait and see............continue later..........................
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »

What has changed with the election of William Jennings Bryan over William McKinley in 1896?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 11:42:15 PM by TommyC1776 »

What has changed with the election of William Jennings Bryan over William McKinley in 1896?

well I wanted to make the Silver Standard allowed but then idk.  I also am trying to be relevent.  so yeah.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »

On May 30, 1901 the Stock Market crashed creating the Panic of 1901.  The country was in a downturn.  There had a gradual decline in the Burlington Stock.

President Lincoln reassured Americans that we were going to be alright.  President Licncoln's approval rating went down to 49%.  Some Americans thought that he was to blame for what happened and not doing much.

Later in September 1901 President Lincoln was shot.  He survived.  Doctors were able to remove the bullet that got in his hip.

Vice President McKinley said "Everyone, the President is  doing fine.  He just needs to rest and relax.  Then he will be back to work.  Let's hope and pray. God Bless President Lincoln."  he got a little teary-eyed her

As December 1901 came the President was fully back at work.  He had fought to live and he did end up living.  He had a lot of strength left in him.

Aprroval rating was now 53%.  The Stock Market stared going back up on December 15, 1901.   Lincoln addressed the NYSE and said "I had good faith that stocks would be up and running again."

As Congress reconveened in January 1902 they were voting on a bill that will build a canal in Panama.  The bill passed overwhelmingly in both Houses by February 1902.  It was decided to begin the work in Panama the following year.

Also in the beginning of the year the Populist Party started falling a part a bit and some went to the Republicans but most became Democrats.  This delighted the former President (Bryan).  He had gotten votes from Populists but he had always wanted them to all come over to the Democrats.

Now with some of the Pops becoming a Rep or a Dem the House looked like:
Reps: 211
Dems: 145
Pops: 1.

In the Senate:
Dems: 50
Reps: 39
Pops: 1.

The Democrats had a good majority in the Senate now. (not a BIG one though.)

The Democrats were hoping to come this fall and win more elections.

Senator Stevenson begins campaigning hard for Democrats accross the country saying "What has President Lincoln done?  Not much you say, well you're right."

Republicans come back and say "We've gotten alot accomplished in the last year.  Remember the Gold Standard, the Irrigation as well as other things."  "We've done a lot of work over the last year.  Just think about it. Remember Republican is the way to go."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

As March 1902 began the Vice President started having heart problems.  He went to the hospital and wasn't doing well.  President Lincoln urged Americans to pray for VP McKinley.  He ends up going into a coma a few days later.

President Lincoln anounces that the VP might be dropped.  Ida McKinley meets with the President and they decide that they will wait and see what happens.

On March 9, 1902 Vice President McKinley starts to wake up from the coma.  He can't talk that good.

It is decided that the VP will be at home resting for a few months.  If McKinley dies then Lincoln may consider Teddy Roosevelt.

Senate Majority Leader Stevenson sends his concerns to the President.  He says "I am so sad that the Vice President isn't doing well.  Keep praying for the Vice President."

The Senate closes down session for a week.

As April comes President Lincoln says he will run for re-election in 2 years. (1904)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »

VP McKinley goes into another coma as April nears.  He ends up dying April 3rd.

President Lincoln addresses America in a speech in New York saying "America we have lost a great man.  Our Vice President William McKinley has died of a heart attack.  He will be gladly missed.  He brought alot of great things to Washington.  This man was the greatest.  We will miss him.  God Bless William McKinley."

Congress adjourns again for a week.

Some Senators and Congressman decide to maybe rename the Gold Standard Act of 1901 to the McKinley Act of 1901 since he was a big support of gold.

After a few weeks President Lincoln starts going around the country trying to get more Republicans elected in the fall.

Construction begins on the Panama Canal on May 1st, 1902.  It started later than anticipated because of the problems with the VP.

The construction is expected to end around April 1904.  Wait and see.........................Just wait..........alright?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »

That summer, William Jennings Bryan says he will be considering a run for Senate in 1904.

Meanwhile, in England Edward VII is crowned King.   President Lincoln sends Senator Stevenson and Senator Teddy Roosevelt to the ceremony.

Democrats are going around the country saying "What has Lincoln and his Republican friends done? We really need more done in Washington.  Elect Democrats to the Senate and House this fall."

In September 1902, radio starts to be tested and President Lincoln wants in on it.  G. Marconi brings a sample to the White House for the President. (Note: there still needs to be work done on it and it may not make the market for another 10-15 years.)

The midterm elections are:
House: Reps 230, Dems 154, Pops 2.
Senate: Dems 45, Reps 44, Pop 1.

The Democrats have a little majority in the Senate.

Lincoln is ecstatic about the results.  Republicans have won more seats.

A few weeks after the election, Congress brings up a bill about the National Guard Bureau.  This allocated money to the army as well as reorganized.  The House passed the Act 260-126.  Then it went to the Senate where it was debated and passed there too 50-38.  President Lincoln signed it into law on December 27, 1902.

As Congress re-convened for the last weeks in February, Senate Minority Leader Teddy Roosevelt proposed an anti-trust act.

The Senate and House got to vote on it.  The House vote was 235-151.   It passed barely in the Senate 48-40.

President Robert Lincoln signed it into law on March 1st, 1903.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 05:53:23 PM »

This idea could lead the democrats into becoming something like a European style Christian Democratic party with elements of paleoconservatism and (pro-worker) catholic-style corporatism.(actual catholic corporatism wouldn't play too well in strongly protestant America).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies