School Standards Reform Bill Part Deux [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 03:32:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  School Standards Reform Bill Part Deux [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: School Standards Reform Bill Part Deux [Failed]  (Read 4113 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2008, 02:39:28 AM »
« edited: June 20, 2008, 02:47:53 AM by PPT Meeker »

School Standards Reform Bill Part Deux

Section 1: Terms
For the purposes of this legislation:
1.   “Elementary school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 5th, inclusive.
2.   “Middle school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 8th, inclusive, with at least one grade above 6th, inclusive.
3.   “High school” shall refer to any school offering at least one grade above 9th, inclusive.

Section 2: Elementary School Reforms
1.   All public elementary schools shall be required to offer pre-K and Kindergarten classes to all students within the district whose guardians wish them to be enrolled.
2.   All children must be enrolled in school, public or otherwise, within one and a half years of their fourth birthdays.

Section 3: Middle School Reforms
1.   All public middle schools must offer at least one foreign language. Enrollment may be optional.
2.   All students in grades 6 through 8 shall be required to study science, English, history, and mathematics for all of their three years in said grades. All public middle schools must offer said subjects for all three grades.

Section 4: High School Reforms
1.   All public high school students must complete, between 9th and 12th grade, at least four courses in mathematics, four courses in English, three courses in a single foreign language, three courses in the social sciences, one course in Atlasian/American history, four courses of science with at least three of said courses lab intensive.
2.   All public high schools must offer classes on mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, English, American/Atlasian history, world history, and at least (but not limited to) two different foreign languages (listed below in 4.2.1) sufficient in number to allow students to complete the above requirements.
   1.   All high schools must offer courses in at least two of the following languages: Spanish,          French, German, Russian, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese and Japanese. Other language courses  not listed are allowed providing that at least two of the preceding languages are offered.
3. All public high schools with a student body greater than 400 must offer at least 3 advanced courses (Advanced Placement, Running Start and International Baccalaureate are acceptable), adding additional courses is encouraged.

Section 5: Interpretation
This legislation shall not be interpreted as to override any stricter standards upheld by law within any Regions or lower-level authorities, nor to discourage school districts or students from exceeding the minimum requirements.

Section 6: Effective Date
This legislation shall come into effect on August 10, 2010, unless that date is less than a year and a half following passage, in which case it shall come into effect on August 10, 2011.

Sponsor: CultureKing
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:07:24 PM »

I would actually like to see a requirement that schools include classes on computers with at least basic computer programming/logic as an offering.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:18:15 PM »

I would actually like to see a requirement that schools include classes on computers with at least basic computer programming/logic as an offering.

That, and I would also like to see Hebrew included as a required language.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:11:36 PM »

Out of general fairness and out of a desire to maintain a church-state separation, the required languages should probably be based on the total number of speakers worldwide.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Out of general fairness and out of a desire to maintain a church-state separation, the required languages should probably be based on the total number of speakers worldwide.

Then we should include Italian.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

Italian doesn't quite rank.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 04:46:20 PM »

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

Italian doesn't quite rank.

Faced with this information, I withdraw my request for either Hebrew or Italian.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »

I demand Bengali! Especially because I speak it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »

Naturally, I will oppose this bill as I did before.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 07:35:23 PM »

I have always thought of technology as something that should be intigrated into all classes rather than focused on in one specific course (which just overloads the required class schedule even more). Maybe there would be some way to add technology in the classroom in... do you agree/have ideas?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:18:48 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 10:06:52 PM by Torie »

It might help more to try to get some teachers involved who can effectively teach all of this stuff first. You know, by dumping the teachers' unions, being able to hire and fire, and pay based on merit, with really talented teaches making at least a third of what lawyers do, like 150K a year. What a concept! Prescribing courses taught by C students from third tier "universities" who can't be fired and are all paid the same except for seniority and maybe taking some useless courses, just isn't going to cut it.

I once read a note to parents  from the principal of my nephew's middle school from a pretty elite zip code (Foster City, California - Xahar will know it) back when (the note  was about a rumor of a gun incident at the school).  The principal was near illiterate, and my nephew (kind of an Xahar clone maybe) red penciled his piece of crap, and his mother sent it in with a note saying it is sad that a 13 year old has to edit your prose, to make it even vaguely comprehensible and coherent, putting aside the grammatical and spelling errors. The principal wrote back to say thank you!  No I am NOT making this up; it's a true story!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:56:03 PM »

It might help more to try to get some teachers involved who can effectively teach all of this stuff first. You know, by dumping the teachers' unions, being able to hire and fire, and pay based on merit, with really talented teaches making at least a third of what lawyers do, like 150K a year. What a concept! Prescribing courses taught by C students from third tier "universities" who can't be fired and are all paid the same except for seniority and maybe taking some useless courses, just isn't going to cut it.

I once read a note to parents  from the principal of my nephew's middle school from a pretty elite zip code (Forster City, California - Xahar will know it) back when (the note  was about a rumor of a gun incident at the school).  The principal was near illiterate, and my nephew (kind of an Xahar clone maybe) red penciled his piece of crap, and his mother sent it in with a note saying it is sad that a 13 year old has to edit your prose, to make it even vaguely comprehensible and coherent, putting aside the grammatical and spelling errors. The principal wrote back to say thank you!  No I am NOT making this up; it's a true story!

In Foster City? Tongue

How long ago was this?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04:56 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2008, 10:07:09 PM by Torie »

Oh, it must be about 15 years now, or close to it. Thanks for noticing the typo. Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »

I have always thought of technology as something that should be intigrated into all classes rather than focused on in one specific course (which just overloads the required class schedule even more). Maybe there would be some way to add technology in the classroom in... do you agree/have ideas?

Oh, 100%.  I work in educational publishing, and integrating computers into the classroom (specifically in science and math) is a no brainer.

My concern is not so much mandating that every student take computer classes, just that computer classes be made available to every student.  And I'm not talking just basic keyboarding.  My high school never offered computer programming classes, and I was at a severe disadvantage in college next to my classmates whom had already taken programming in high school.

In this day and age, knowing how to use the computer is a necessity.  I feel that any significant update to federal education law should reflect this reality.

I think there's a lot of merit to this idea... if not in all schools, then at the very least, in those which are performing well under regional average.

I'm not sure this is exactly a federal issue, however.  I will definitely be introducing a bill in the Northeast regarding this for the June 2008 ballot.

1.   All public elementary schools shall be required to offer pre-K and Kindergarten classes to all students within the district whose guardians wish them to be enrolled.

I just noticed this.  I'm very hesitant to support unfunded mandates, and this one is a doozy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54:55 PM »

Oh, it must be about 15 years now, or close to it. Thanks for noticing the typo. Smiley

No problem.

I still demand Bengali. Duniya-e sňbai Bangla baolle, khub bhalo hoto! Seriously. It's one of the world's biggest languages.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »

Some comments from the Peanut Gallery.

The first is that given its importance to the Americas, Portuguese should be included among the list of required languages.  Bengali for all its speakers is the principal language of only one country of minimal importance and not located in the Americas.

The second is that some places have different grade breaks than what the bill envisions.  I went to an elementary school that offered grades 2-4, yet the language of this bill would require such an elementary school to offer pre-K and K.  Strange.

The third is that the high school curriculum assumes that all high schools and high school students are college prep.  Those students who choose a vocational oriented education are going to be hard pressed to find the time for the science and foreign language requirements.

The fourth is where are we going to find all the new teachers of math, science, and foreign language this bill will necessitate?  It's hard enough to find enough qualified teachers for those subjects as it is.

The fifth is who is going to pay for this mandate?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »

Bengali for all its speakers is the principal language of only one country of minimal importance.

Angry

That's probably true. But I really don't see Brazil as being that closely linked with Atlasia.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Mr Moderate why would mandating courses be a federal issue, but not who teaches them?  Granted, the federal constitution around here is a very odd document. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »

I am, of course, opposed to this bill. Details will be given later.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 08:12:18 PM »

We are voting on final passage of the legislation.

School Standards Reform Bill Part Deux

Section 1: Terms
For the purposes of this legislation:
1.   “Elementary school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 5th, inclusive.
2.   “Middle school” shall refer to any school offering only grades below 8th, inclusive, with at least one grade above 6th, inclusive.
3.   “High school” shall refer to any school offering at least one grade above 9th, inclusive.

1.   All public elementary schools shall be required to offer pre-K and Kindergarten classes to all students within the district whose guardians wish them to be enrolled.
2.   All children must be enrolled in school, public or otherwise, within one and a half years of their fourth birthdays.

Section 3: Middle School Reforms
1.   All public middle schools must offer at least one foreign language. Enrollment may be optional.
2.   All students in grades 6 through 8 shall be required to study science, English, history, and mathematics for all of their three years in said grades. All public middle schools must offer said subjects for all three grades.

Section 4: High School Reforms
1.   All public high school students must complete, between 9th and 12th grade, at least four courses in mathematics, four courses in English, three courses in a single foreign language, three courses in the social sciences, one course in Atlasian/American history, four courses of science with at least three of said courses lab intensive.
2.   All public high schools must offer classes on mathematics, chemistry, biology, physics, English, American/Atlasian history, world history, and at least (but not limited to) two different foreign languages (listed below in 4.2.1) sufficient in number to allow students to complete the above requirements.
   1.   All high schools must offer courses in at least two of the following languages: Spanish,          French, German, Russian, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese and Japanese. Other language courses  not listed are allowed providing that at least two of the preceding languages are offered.
3. All public high schools with a student body greater than 400 must offer at least 3 advanced courses (Advanced Placement, Running Start and International Baccalaureate are acceptable), adding additional courses is encouraged.

Section 5: Interpretation
This legislation shall not be interpreted as to override any stricter standards upheld by law within any Regions or lower-level authorities, nor to discourage school districts or students from exceeding the minimum requirements.

Section 6: Effective Date
This legislation shall come into effect on August 10, 2010, unless that date is less than a year and a half following passage, in which case it shall come into effect on August 10, 2011.

Senators please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 12:03:58 AM »

I didn't know votes started without a motion to vote.

Nay, obviously.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 06:01:35 AM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon