PA-Muhlenberg College/Morning Call: Obama leads by 7%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:19:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PA-Muhlenberg College/Morning Call: Obama leads by 7%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PA-Muhlenberg College/Morning Call: Obama leads by 7%  (Read 4157 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:03 PM »

9/24-9/28, 581 Likely Voters, MOE +/- 4.5%

Obama   49%
McCain    42%

Link
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 12:04:42 PM »

Looks to me like this is a daily tracking poll of PA with about 120 voters a day...
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »

But...but there are racists in Philadelphia that won't vote for Obama! Pennsylvania is McCain country!
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »

D +14 party ID advantage? Uh no. Oh and please don't show me the party registration numbers in PA as if they mean something. Look at the exit polls to see who actually votes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 12:40:30 PM »

But...but there are racists in Philadelphia that won't vote for Obama! Pennsylvania is McCain country!

I'm sorry that what I and countless Democrats in the area say doesn't phase you. I know you're usually one of the first people here to back up your analysis with sound logic so I'm saddened that I'm not living up to your exceptional standards.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »

Pennsylvania will go to Obama. Period.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

Phil, retort?  Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »

Naso knows how I feel. His "analysis" is even more assinine than those of the Obama fanatics.

"There are too many stubborn steel town Democrats!"
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

D +14 party ID advantage? Uh no. Oh and please don't show me the party registration numbers in PA as if they mean something. Look at the exit polls to see who actually votes.

Ironic given your statements on Colorado, and most New Hampshire polls we have seen, both of which suffer from the exact problem you describe.

Anyway, you generally have to overstate Democratic party id v. past exit polls to get accurate results just as you have to do the same thing for the Conservatives in England. I am sure there will not be a +14 D advantage on the exit poll, but the polls that use +14 will be vastly closer to the actual result than the ones that use the 2004 exit poll numbers. That was pretty clear over the last few elections.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »

I'm sorry that what I and countless Democrats in the area say doesn't phase you. I know you're usually one of the first people here to back up your analysis with sound logic so I'm saddened that I'm not living u pto your exceptional standards.

Sound logic = polls
Sound logic != anecdotal evidence
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2008, 01:47:46 PM by Verily »

Looks to me like this is a daily tracking poll of PA with about 120 voters a day...

Yes, that was what they said when it first came out on Friday. Maybe we should have a thread for Muhlenberg's Pennsylvania tracker, albeit probably not stickied (since we may get more state-level trackers).

Also, from the write-up, "The Muhlenberg College/Morning Call poll does not weight by party affiliation." Treat it like SUSA, expect pretty wild party affiliation swings.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:48:12 PM »

Naso knows how I feel. His "analysis" is even more assinine than those of the Obama fanatics.

My father has been arguing that McCain could very well win Pennsylvania because "It isn't all big cities" and that McCain will pick up alot of the rural vote.

I'm actually a bit surprised at how Democratic Pennsylvania was in 2000 and 2004...especially in 2004...I would have expected Bush to come closer...if not even win the state. That's why I lean that Pennsylvania will be close, but go to Obama.

However...if Obama gains and holds a larger lead going into election night...then it might be like the 2000 results with a close but comfortable Obama victory.

All in all, I can only see John McCain winning Pennsylvania if he takes the popular vote by a good 2-3 pts.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »

My father has been arguing that McCain could very well win Pennsylvania because "It isn't all big cities" and that McCain will pick up alot of the rural vote.

I'm actually a bit surprised at how Democratic Pennsylvania was in 2000 and 2004...especially in 2004...I would have expected Bush to come closer...if not even win the state. That's why I lean that Pennsylvania will be close, but go to Obama.

However...if Obama gains and holds a larger lead going into election night...then it might be like the 2000 results with a close but comfortable Obama victory.

All in all, I can only see John McCain winning Pennsylvania if he takes the popular vote by a good 2-3 pts.

while this is true, remember that a lot of these folks are Evangelicals or conservative Catholics who vote on social issues, and I think Bush did about as well with these voters as a Republican can do.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 04:11:57 PM »

& points, no way, but Obama probably carries PA.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 05:03:59 PM »

Database entry: https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008/pollsa.php?action=indpoll&id=4220080928033
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »

I'm sorry that what I and countless Democrats in the area say doesn't phase you. I know you're usually one of the first people here to back up your analysis with sound logic so I'm saddened that I'm not living u pto your exceptional standards.

Sound logic = polls

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my anecdotal evidence isn't "I ran into two people on the street and they said they want McCain. Oh, they're Dems, too, so McCain will definitely win."

I was going around my precinct today to try to get some McCain - Palin signs up on lawns. I'll note that I was only given about twenty signs (reserved for me) because they were flying out of the office. Requests like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, I was going around and saw the former Democratic committeeman outside. I said hello and all and asked him if there was any chance that McCain could get his support (which I was expecting). He looked around and called me over. He told me he couldn't put up a sign because he's "involved politically" (he is a union official) but McCain was definitely getting his vote. He was very excited to see me going around and encouraged me to keep at it. He told me that he's personally working to get his neighbors to support McCain and to get signs up.

It was very encouraging. You guys will continue to brush it off as nothing but I know that these types (especially this guy who usually has an organization at the polls when he has a candidate he really cares about) not going for Obama means something.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »

Sound logic = polls

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, my anecdotal evidence isn't "I ran into two people on the street and they said they want McCain. Oh, they're Dems, too, so McCain will definitely win."

I was going around my precinct today to try to get some McCain - Palin signs up on lawns. I'll note that I was only given about twenty signs (reserved for me) because they were flying out of the office. Requests like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, I was going around and saw the former Democratic committeeman outside. I said hello and all and asked him if there was any chance that McCain could get his support (which I was expecting). He looked around and called me over. He told me he couldn't put up a sign because he's "involved politically" (he is a union official) but McCain was definitely getting his vote. He was very excited to see me going around and encouraged me to keep at it. He told me that he's personally working to get his neighbors to support McCain and to get signs up.

It was very encouraging. You guys will continue to brush it off as nothing but I know that these types (especially this guy who usually has an organization at the polls when he has a candidate he really cares about) not going for Obama means something.

Hey Phil what's your prediction for Bucks County, I know you know that area better than most on here, mind you that Bucks was a very accurate bellweather for the whole state in the 2000 and 2004 presidential election

Remember Obama got thumped against Hillary  in the primary in Bucks he got a measly 37.39% of the vote.

If Mccain can win Bucks by more than 2% points I think he takes the state
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:50 PM »

Sound logic = polls

Hey Phil what's your prediction for Bucks County, I know you know that area better than most on here, mind you that Bucks was a very accurate bellweather for the whole state in the 2000 and 2004 presidential election

Remember Obama got thumped against Hillary  in the primary in Bucks he got a measly 37.39% of the vote.

If Mccain can win Bucks by more than 2% points I think he takes the state

As of now, McCain isn't winning Bucks. I think there is a great chance that that will change though. He doesn't need to win the county though. A slight improvement on Bush's numbers would be a huge help and that's very possible here.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 03:13:25 AM »

Sound logic = polls

My analysis isn't based on anecdotes - look, here's an anecdote to prove it Roll Eyes
ucscgaldamez

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »

Yeah, and Santorum was very close to winning in PA.

I do think, however, that the results in PA will be close but Obama will win by a small margin.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »

Sound logic = polls

My analysis isn't based on anecdotes - look, here's an anecdote to prove it Roll Eyes

As I said, hard head, it's not based on talking to Joe Average. These are people involved in the process.

Yeah, and Santorum was very close to winning in PA.

I do think, however, that the results in PA will be close but Obama will win by a small margin.

Roll Eyes

As I said before, this doesn't even come close to comparing to that race. I love how you even admit that by saying that Obama will win by a "small margin" but still had to throw a jab.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »

anecdote is an anecdote is an anecdote. and, as with all anecdotes, there may be some truth to them. But at least admit as much Smiley

Thing is, if you were describing why Ohio is being so stubborn, then I'd have a lot of time for these arguments. But you're still claiming that PA doesn't like Obama when the last two polls say +8 and +7 for him. If Obama does 5-6 points worse than his polling on election day, I'll come grovelling, OK?

Instead, I'd love to hear from a PA native where he is getting his margin from, as I trust you when you say that Philly suburbs are not sold.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »

But you're still claiming that PA doesn't like Obama when the last two polls say +8 and +7 for him.

I'm predicting what will happen on November 4th, not today or tomorrow.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 12:41:35 PM »

But you're still claiming that PA doesn't like Obama when the last two polls say +8 and +7 for him.

So you're saying that all these disgruntled Dem's around the Philly 'burbs are still telling pollsters they will vote Obama, but will press the McCain button on November 4th? Why would they do that?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »

So you're saying that all these disgruntled Dem's around the Philly 'burbs are still telling pollsters they will vote Obama, but will press the McCain button on November 4th? Why would they do that?

Not really the suburbs but the city itself (where I am from). A lot of people have other "obligations." Their unions and such are pushing for Obama. They don't want to vote for a Republican. Please re-read my story above. The man is a leader in one of the unions. You don't think plenty of the rank and file members are feeling the same way? Plenty of local Democratic leaders have backed me up on this. It's made the news.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies