Opinion of Ben Nelson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:01:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Ben Nelson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Opinion of Ben Nelson  (Read 3745 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2009, 06:24:24 PM »

I was reading the following about why he opposes public Healthcare and I wanted to see what the Atlas thinks of him:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:33:47 PM »

"The public plan would be too good a deal for the American public, so I will vote to not allow them access to that, forcing them to continue to be stuck with expensive private options that won't cover large percentages of the poulation. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the benefits of my public health insurance plan, as well as thousands of dollars of contributions from the insurance lobby."

HP
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »

FF.

Someone who will actually stand up to Dingy Harry.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »

HP
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »

HP but an excusable HP because of his state. I am sure Walt Minnick will do the same but I still like the guy for standing up for sanity in my state.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:50:50 PM »

Disgusting. I don't say this about many people (and I don't want to become like the Republicans) but I'm ashamed to have someone like him in my party.

HP without a doubt.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »

My favorite Democrat in the Senate - FF
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 09:17:41 PM »

Would you have voted for him over pre-switch Arlen Specter?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

Would you have voted for him over pre-switch Arlen Specter?

I would have voted for him and worked my ass off for him over Specter at any time in Specter's career. Any time.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »

I don't like all of his votes, and I think he could vote more liberally if he wanted to, but overall, a FF.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »

Mostly Negative.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »

Truly horrible trash. He's a multi-millionaire who consistently sides with the rich on the estate tax, subsidies to large agribusiness, and defense subsidies. He's from a net welfare state with the lowest unemployment who goes out of his way to weaken the stimulus for states that need to get some more of their tax dollars back. I don't care that he's from Nebraska, he should still be kicked out of the party along with Bayh.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »

Senator Nelson > Senator Johanns.  Enough said.

Politics isn't possible if one is uncompromising
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »

Senator Nelson > Senator Johanns.  Enough said.

Politics isn't possible if one is uncompromising

Are you stupid enough to believe that liberals aren't capable of compromise? It's Ben Nelson who has the problem with compromise.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:01 PM »

When did Johanns compromise last?  I forget.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »

Johanns is irrelevant to this. The problem with Ben Nelson and Evan Bayh is that they loudly attack liberals instead of compromising with them or quietly voting against them.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 12:21:25 AM »

"The public plan would be too good a deal for the American public, so I will vote to not allow them access to that, forcing them to continue to be stuck with expensive private options that won't cover large percentages of the poulation. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the benefits of my public health insurance plan, as well as thousands of dollars of contributions from the insurance lobby."

HP

It is an odd style of argumentation. I tend to agree with his point however. The problem is that politics will cause the public plan to deliver stuff below cost, and snuff out the private sector competition. Then, with no competition, over time service will decline, with rationing by long wait times, etc. If you don't like your doctor, or think he is wasting your time by making you wait two hours, and you chew him out, he will just laugh. At least now, I can make MD's sweat a bit when they deliver inferior service, or misread my chart, or have not done their homework, etc. I believe in giving feedback - a lot of it.

So -- it would be better to have robust competition, transparency, and subsidies for health insurance premiums for those who can't afford whatever the cost is either partially or at all, on a means tested basis.  But I think the long term goal here is to produce a snuff film here, as it were.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 01:01:56 AM »

HP

It is an odd style of argumentation. I tend to agree with his point however. The problem is that politics will cause the public plan to deliver stuff below cost, and snuff out the private sector competition. Then, with no competition, over time service will decline, with rationing by long wait times, etc. If you don't like your doctor, or think he is wasting your time by making you wait two hours, and you chew him out, he will just laugh. At least now, I can make MD's sweat a bit when they deliver inferior service, or misread my chart, or have not done their homework, etc. I believe in giving feedback - a lot of it.

So -- it would be better to have robust competition, transparency, and subsidies for health insurance premiums for those who can't afford whatever the cost is either partially or at all, on a means tested basis.  But I think the long term goal here is to produce a snuff film here, as it were.

This doesn't make any sense at all.  If the public plan provides subpar services, then they will face competition regarldess of the price.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 01:07:02 AM »

HP

This doesn't make any sense at all.  If the public plan provides subpar services, then they will face competition regarldess of the price.

One would hope private insurance companies could rise from the dead, after being extirpated, with MD's around to provide service, but somehow when dead, I suspect the law would evolve so using private providers will be solely out of  your own pocket. It would be just so "unfair" otherwise.

But yes, if from a legal and economic standpoint (a fair subsidy to both public and private), if the government plan went downhill, the private could be reasonably expected to reanimate, than yes, that might keep government from being totally non consumer friendly. Heck, look what FedX did for the US post office. A lot!  Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2009, 11:40:54 AM by Lunar »

Johanns is irrelevant to this. The problem with Ben Nelson and Evan Bayh is that they loudly attack liberals instead of compromising with them or quietly voting against them.

That's not what I meant.  What I meant is that there aren't enough liberals in America to pass a liberal agenda.  Case closed.  You have the choice between someone who will vote for you 0% of the time when the chips are down and someone who will vote for you 75% [or whatever] of the time when one vote makes a difference but will also rail against the "liberal establishment" or what have you on other times in order to carve an identity for himself back home that's independent of the national party.   Taking the "75% or whatever" option is compromise since it represents a positive net result towards stuff you believe in, although it carries some personal reservations.

If you eliminate all DINOs you don't get a workable majority, let alone 51 votes on most everything.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »

HP.. why is he a democrat?

And is he a 'native american'?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 11:57:23 AM »

Stimulus Bill?

Next USSC judge?

Y'all realize that there are more Republican states than Democratic ones, right?  If both parties only nominated mainstream liberals/conservatives, the GOP would always be in the majority.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

newsflash: not every Senator from a Republican state can do what, say, Rockefeller does, and vote quietly.  Some states have Republican widespread political institutions that have to be "independently" challenged, and some do not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »

newsflash: not every Senator from a Republican state can do what, say, Rockefeller does, and vote quietly.  Some states have Republican widespread political institutions that have to be "independently" challenged, and some do not.

Plenty of better Senators than Bayh or Ben Nelson are from Republican states. Like the North Dakota Senators.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

They're not necessarily comparable.  Ben Nelson could not necessarily mimic the incredibly respectful Conrad because his state is different and far more Republican ... Nelson, in order to have a future capable of occasionally helping the national Democratic Party is forced to forcibly carve an identity out that's separate from it.

Although I see your point that the Democrats would rather not have Nelson rail against them, I think you fail to see mine that that is better than having a Republican senator NEVER vote with them.

Let's not drag Bayh into this, as he's far less inconsistent than Nelson and now, clearly, an opportunity-seeker and a grandstander
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies