Southeast PA town map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:21:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Southeast PA town map
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Southeast PA town map  (Read 39101 times)
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:40:14 AM »

I think it's about time we get some Pennsylvania election results on here!

Here are the results for the five counties that make up the Philadelphia metro area:

McCain was absolutely clobbered in Chester County. Kerry only won seven townships there in 2004.

I've been compiling PA data by precinct and municipality in an Excel spreadsheet for about two months now. I've got 6,242 precincts of about 9,200+ complete. It's mostly the rural northern counties and Philadelphia (which alone has 1,681 precincts) that I'm missing.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:42:51 AM »

Well done!!!   What a great first post Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »

What is the little McCain-voting town surrounded by the Obama towns in eastern Bucks County?
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 01:08:51 AM »

What is the little McCain-voting town surrounded by the Obama towns in eastern Bucks County?

It's Langhorne Manor: 56.37%-42.58% McCain. Not quite familiar with the area, but according to the census its 94% white and has a median family income of $78K, which could explain it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:49:36 AM »

Agreed.  Welcome to the forum Smiley
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 01:56:47 AM »

It's interesting that lower bucks still voted pretty solidly for Obama even with all the talk about the blue collar people rejecting him. I suppose the swing map from 2004 would be pretty interesting. Also why are those towns in Delaware county so republican considering they are surrounded on all sides by Obama towns. 
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:16:12 AM »

Thanks! I actually tried registering months ago, but it still says "awaiting approval" on that account so I just made a new one. I've been reading the forum for a while but at least now I can finally post, I've been wanting to share all this information and maps I have and comment on things!
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 03:20:35 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 07:22:40 PM by Nordstrand »

Here's the swing map from 2004. Unfortunately I don't have data for Bucks County.

And here's the map for 2004 if you're interested for comparison.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »

Cool. Welcome!

You got data for the Lehigh Valley as well?

Somebody got an explanation for the swing on Tinicum?

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 03:30:49 AM »

Very cool. Thanks!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 03:50:45 AM »

New favorite new poster! Purple heart

Keep up the great work.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

Great map ! Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »

Great work, Nordstrand. What is the Kerry-McCain township in MontCo that borders Philly?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 01:07:14 PM »

Lower Moreland, the home of Valerie Plame, Nancy Spungen and Terri Schiavio (I kid you not!)

Bryn Athyn, the thing that snakes into it and flipped the other way round, has a very small population and is a settlement of Swedenborgians.
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 04:38:48 PM »

When you look at the swing from 2000, Lower Moreland has had a swing of over 10% to McCain, which is pretty interesting considering almost every municipality in the area has swung the opposite direction, particularly the higher income townships. Neighboring Bryn Athyn voted 67% for Bush in 2000 and 50% for Obama.

Here's a map for the Lehigh Valley and Berks County. I don't have data from 2004, but the 2000 data on the atlas definitely shows the impressive gains the Democrats have made in the area. I'm pretty surprised by Upper Macungie and Lower Macungie, I would have thought those would be strong Republican-territory but they were 49.80%-49.23% and 50.58%-48.45% McCain, respectively. I guess it's the New Yorkers.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2009, 05:45:24 PM by Keystone Phil »

Wow! Great job and welcome to the forum! It's great to see another PA Republican on board (especially someone with such an understanding of the SE). I'm a Philly Republican and if you read my posts, you'll be able to tell that I'm pretty invovled/interested in politics around here.  Smiley

Lower Moreland, the home of Valerie Plame, Nancy Spungen and Terri Schiavio (I kid you not!)

I knew about Schiavo but didn't know about Plame. I don't know the other person either.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A weird little community, too. I'm shocked that they went for Bush (and with nearly 70% of the vote). I always thought of Bryn Athyn as a white, upper class, far left wing haven. I'm surprised Obama didn't win it by more.
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »

Tinicum in Delaware County looks to be demographically like a relatively blue collar town. It has a very small population (about 4,000) and the majority of the township is the Philadelphia International Airport.

Since I don't have data for Bucks County from 2004, I made a swing map from 2000-2008 to get an idea of what's going on in Lower Bucks.

DavidNYC
Rookie
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 10:37:22 PM »

Send me an email (davidnyc -at- swingstateproject -dot- com) and I can send you all the PA precinct-level data you could ever want, going back to 1992.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 02:47:16 PM »

Wow! Great job and welcome to the forum! It's great to see another PA Republican on board (especially someone with such an understanding of the SE). I'm a Philly Republican and if you read my posts, you'll be able to tell that I'm pretty invovled/interested in politics around here.  Smiley

I knew about Schiavo but didn't know about Plame. I don't know the other person either.

Sid Vicious' girlfriend (whom he probably murdered).
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »

Did anybody ever make a precinct map (raw returns or swing) of city of Philly? It'd be interesting given the level of discussion before the election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »

Did anybody ever make a precinct map (raw returns or swing) of city of Philly? It'd be interesting given the level of discussion before the election.

Ugh. That would be so hard to do. I guess someone with access to the forum's precinct data could do it with relative ease (compared to getting results from our City Commissioners). I'd be very interested in seeing the results (especially swings) though I have a pretty good idea where to expect Obama/McCain wins and/or swings.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

That'd be interesting.  The Atlas doesn't have Philadelphia precinct data, though.  If I had it and a shapefile, I could manage.  Can't search now, but does anyone have either offhand?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »

That'd be interesting.  The Atlas doesn't have Philadelphia precinct data, though.  If I had it and a shapefile, I could manage.  Can't search now, but does anyone have either offhand?

DavidNYC just said he had the data. Can't help you on the shapefile, however.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »

You know, these would look awesome if we could combine them with my New Jersey map and Dave's New York map and eventually get the entire Mid-Atlantic by municipality.
Nordstrand
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »

Here's what the whole state looks like so far. I'm missing municipality data for 16 counties; I just e-mailed davidnyc so hopefully it'll be complete soon and I can make a statewide swing map from 2004.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies