Southeast PA town map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:14:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Southeast PA town map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southeast PA town map  (Read 39330 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »

Great work, Nordstrand. What is the Kerry-McCain township in MontCo that borders Philly?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »

Some rankings of municipalities:

BY MARGIN

McCAIN
1.   Hempfield township (Westmoreland) 5,604
2.   Cranberry township (Butler) 4,219
3.   Peters township (Washington) 4,128
4.   North Huntingdon township (Westmoreland) 4,099
5.   Penn township (Westmoreland) 3,602

Am I correct that Hempfield is the largest municipality in PA to vote for McCain? According to Wiki, it has 40K pop., but only because it has a large land area...wow, certainly shows how weak the GOP is in Northern Metro areas.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

Great work, Nordstrand. What is the Kerry-McCain township in MontCo that borders Philly?

Living fairly close to there one explanation I have is a fair number of well off white blue collar workers from the city moved there swinging it towards McCain.  It also explains some of the lower Bucks swings.  I'm surprised Lower Moreland even went for Kerry.  It always seemed fairly Catholic and conservative to me whereas Abington/Jenkintown and Upper Moreland/Willow Grove seemed more liberal.  The state Rep in Lower Moreland is a Santorum-esque conservative named Tom Murt who knocked off a socially liberal Republican Sue Cornell in 2006 over the pay raise debacle. 

Interesting...do you know anything about the NJ municipality that borders SW Philly, which appears to be the only other McCain-voting municipality that borders Philly.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »

Living fairly close to there one explanation I have is a fair number of well off white blue collar workers from the city moved there swinging it towards McCain.  It also explains some of the lower Bucks swings.  I'm surprised Lower Moreland even went for Kerry.  It always seemed fairly Catholic and conservative to me whereas Abington/Jenkintown and Upper Moreland/Willow Grove seemed more liberal.  The state Rep in Lower Moreland is a Santorum-esque conservative named Tom Murt who knocked off a socially liberal Republican Sue Cornell in 2006 over the pay raise debacle. 

Interesting...do you know anything about the NJ municipality that borders SW Philly, which appears to be the only other McCain-voting municipality that borders Philly.

That's not in NJ, that's in PA. It's Tinicum, which is where the Philly airport is. The population is under 5,000. Although he has it as Obama-voting on the initial SE PA map, so I don't know whether it actually voted for McCain or not.

At first I thought it was West Deptford, NJ, which is sprawly and far away from any bridges across the river. But West Deptford voted for Obama, and on closer inspection the town you're referring to is Tinicum.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I just assumed it was in N.J. based on the first map showing only one PA municipality bordering Philly to vote for McCain.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies