The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:44:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: The America that Never Was: An Alternate History of the United States of America  (Read 53582 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
« edited: July 27, 2009, 09:12:50 AM by Mechman »

This timeline is based off of my List of Alternate Presidents (the really LONG one). Along the way if you have any suggestions to improve the timeline please tell me. If people can help out with research that would also be nice.
Sadly I do have a life, so this timeline will most likely take a 1-3 years to complete. I should get started with the first entry by tomorrow (like I said, life). This will probably be one of the longest and most epic timelines this forum has ever seen.
This timeline will start at the end of the Revolutionary War (1783) and end present day (which could be anywhere from as early as this time next year to hell even 2012 when the world ends). I have a busy night, so don't expect anything tonight (I plan on going to bed before midnight). Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
Here's the list (subject to change):
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So if you're wondering why I suddenly disappear from the other discussion boards for awhile, this is most likely why.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »

This looks really neat. It should be a nice new one. Also considering the unfortunate death of the American Monarchy series. GOOD LUCK!
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »

I'll be reading this with great interest!  I'm pleased someone is attempting the Early Republic- let's see how President Calhoun goes down...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »

Looking forward to it Smiley
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

Also considering the unfortunate death of the American Monarchy series. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks!
The American Monarchy series was kind of why I originally dreaded this idea (how whoever made it through that long is incredible and I have a ton of respect for the author for taking that much time out of their life to make it). When I read it (before I joined the forum, I used to spend hours looking at the what-if board, not joking) it must've taken like 8 hours! Fluke of the Gods though is crazy, I spent a whole weekend reading that one. I can't imagine how many months of work people put into these things.
But by god I'm going to do this. I think the hardest part is going to be the pre-Civil War era, everything else should be a walk in the park (hey I slept during Early American history, but who didn't?).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:45:49 PM »

Fluke of the Gods though is crazy, I spent a whole weekend reading that one. I can't imagine how many months of work people put into these things.

I spent 8 months working on my TR Wins in 1912 TL, and I've spent nearly 5 months working on my JFK Lives TL; they take a lot of time, if you wany them to be good.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:21 PM »

I'll be reading this with great interest!  I'm pleased someone is attempting the Early Republic- let's see how President Calhoun goes down...

lol, I just changed list, no more Calhoun so sorry. I think John Quincy Adams being a solid Democrat in this timeline should be a little bit more interesting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:11 AM »

Wow... I would never have the courage to make a similar timeline... Shocked

Seems interesting, I'll try to follow it. Good luck ! Wink
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 12:43:00 AM by Mechaman »

1783:

February 3rd, 1783: Britain awards the United States Independence.

February  4th, 1783: King George III of Great Britain announces that all hostilities between the United States of America and Great Britain will cease.

March 5th, 1783: Massacre Day (in memory of the 1770 Boston Massacre) is celebrated for the last time. It would soon be replaced by Independence Day on July 4th in honor of the Declaration of Independence.

April 15th, 1783: Preliminary articles of peace ending the Revolutionary War are ratified.

May 18th, 1783: Large numbers of American Loyalists move into St. Johns in News Brunswick.

June 20th, 1783: The 400 strong Philadelphia Insurgency causes the Congress of the Confederation to move the capital to Annapolis, Maryland, and create plans for the creation of a federal district to serve as the nation’s capital.

July 16, 1783: The Royal Provinces of Canada grants large tracts of land to American Loyalists to encourage immigration to the now vital British colony.

September 3rd, 1783: The Treaty of Paris, which officially ended the war between the United States of America and Great Britain is signed with the American delegation of John Jay, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Charles and Thomas Pinckney. Included in the treaty were the ten Articles:
1. Recognizing the 13 colonies to be free, sovereign, and independent States, and that his majesty relinquishes all claims to the Government, property, and territorial rights of the same, and every part thereof;
2. Establishing the boundaries between the United States and British North America.
3. Granting of fishing rights to US fishermen in the Grand Banks, off the coast of Newfoundland and in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence.
4. Recognizing the lawful contracted debts to be paid by creditors on either side.
5. The Congress of the Confederation will “earnestly recommend” to state legislatures to recognize the rightful owners of all confiscated lands “provide for the restitution of all estates, rights, properties, which have been confiscated belonging to real British subjects [Loyalists]”.
6. The United States and will prevent future confiscations of the property of Loyalists;
7. Prisoners of war on both sides are to be released and all property left by the British Army in the United States and Canada unmolested (including slaves);
8. Great Britain and the United States were each to be given perpetual access to the Mississippi River
9. Territories captured by Americans subsequent to the treaty will be returned without compensation;
10. Ratification of the treaty was to occur within six months from the signing of the contracting parties.

November 2nd, 1783: General George Washington gives his Farewell Address to the Army at Rocky Hill, New Jersey.

Washington handing in his resignation as Commander-In-Chief.

November 25th, 1783: The Last British troops leave New York City 3 months after the signing of the Treaty of Paris.

December 21st, 1783: George Washington retires to his plantation in Mount Vernon, Virginia to “live a much more restful life”. He arrived home just in time for Christmas, (his wife Martha died from complications from child birth a long time ago, yes George is quite fertile in this timeline) to find Alexander Hamilton, a close friend of his in the Continental Congress, and his family waiting for him. Ever since Hamilton moved to Virginia (as opposed to New York IOTL) in the early 1770’s Washington had been a very good mentor to him. The company of Hamilton and his family at Christmas at Mount Vernon and the young nation finally at peace is a great joy for Washington since he spent the past 8 years with no rest.

December 25th, 1783: On Christmas Day Washington and the Hamilton family celebrate Christmas at Washington’s Mount Vernon plantation. Washington handed a note to Hamilton with some interesting news: A blood heir to Washington had been found, the letter included the birth papers of Alexander Hamilton and in those papers (which his mother claimed were lost) under the word “father” was the name “George Washington”. It is a very emotional moment for the whole family as Washington warmly embraces his son and daughter in-law. George Washington in just a few hours went from being a childless widow to a grandfather (the Hamiltons had a son, Philip, who was a month shy of being two with them). Both Washington and Hamilton agreed not to publicly let it be known of their blood relation.

December 31st, 1783: As the Hamiltons return to Richmond after spending 10 days at Mount Vernon with Washington, John Hancock begins drafting what he calls “the mother of all speeches”.

I know, alot of these events happened IRL. Just a warning for you alternate history buffs: there won't be any real drastic changes until about 1785. It's very hard to make up stuff that happens before the US started doing elections, that is why you'll see some entries dealing with the personal lives of our forefathers.
Also, I kind of suck at making maps so if anybody wants to help me create custom maps please message me.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2009, 05:25:30 PM by Mechaman »

Well, I think it's safe to say that I'll have 1784 and possibly even 1785 done by tomorrow night. Right now, to get the hang of this timeline writing stuff I'm probably going to do a year at most for each entry.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 05:13:07 PM »

Excellent writing, I'm waiting for the next update.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

Good start.

However, I have a few issues with Canadian independence by 1783. Firstly, a note that the names Ontario and Quebec applied to those specific territories are only in use since 1867 (though the Province of Quebec was used before to refer to a huge area including American land). Secondly, Ottawa only became important by the late 1840s-1850s. I'm not sure if Ottawa/Bytown as a city even existed in 1783 (we're a new city). Quebec City was the capital then.

In 1783, Ontario (Upper Canada) was very sparsely populated and only became important with the influx of Loyalists. French Catholics were the large majority of the Canadian population, concentrated in Lower Canada. New Brunswick became a colony in 1784, and it was a quasi-entirely empty piece of land then filled with woods (later to be exploited, though). I doubt Nova Scotia and Lower Canada, the only relevant parcels of land in 1783, would want to join together and if such a union would be economically viable or politically stable. As for what is now Manitoba, nothing but a bunch of Indians, bison and HBC land.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2009, 07:03:47 PM by Mechaman »

Good start.

However, I have a few issues with Canadian independence by 1783. Firstly, a note that the names Ontario and Quebec applied to those specific territories are only in use since 1867 (though the Province of Quebec was used before to refer to a huge area including American land). Secondly, Ottawa only became important by the late 1840s-1850s. I'm not sure if Ottawa/Bytown as a city even existed in 1783 (we're a new city). Quebec City was the capital then.

In 1783, Ontario (Upper Canada) was very sparsely populated and only became important with the influx of Loyalists. French Catholics were the large majority of the Canadian population, concentrated in Lower Canada. New Brunswick became a colony in 1784, and it was a quasi-entirely empty piece of land then filled with woods (later to be exploited, though). I doubt Nova Scotia and Lower Canada, the only relevant parcels of land in 1783, would want to join together and if such a union would be economically viable or politically stable. As for what is now Manitoba, nothing but a bunch of Indians, bison and HBC land.
Damn it.
Well looks like Canadian Independence will have to be pushed back at least 20 years.
Sorry guys. But look on the bright side, Alexander Hamilton is still George Washington's bastard son!
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »

YAY! What a family, especially the one who hates farmers!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2009, 10:53:59 PM by Mechaman »

Update.
One of the friggin powerlines near my house blew up today and the power was out from 1pm until 5:30. Luckily I did this on Microsoft Word and saved it like 2 minutes before the outage. I thought about just doing all of 1784, but just to torture you guys I'm going to end it with a cliffhanger. Hehehehehe smiley face!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

Type everything out on Microsoft Word before posting.  That way, you can make sure everything is the way you want it to be.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »

Newest Update.
Warning, more drama.

1784:

January 14, 1784: The US Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris with Great Britain to end the American Revolutionary War.

January 21, 1784: At a meeting of the Fifth Congress of the Confederation at Annapolis, Maryland, Massachussetts Governor John Hancock approaches the stage and makes one of the most grandiose speeches in American history:

“Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to discuss the future of these United States of America. The fact that this nation has succeeded where no other has before, a society free from the restraints placed on by rule of the oligarchy, is hope for all free men, women, and children the world over. We should not let this opportunity to let the possibilities of government of the free for the free by the free go to waste. Since the dawn of mankind there has never been a Union of States so dedicated to the purpose of liberal democracy and rule of the people and not of the elite. We must not fail, for our very success will dictate whether this world will fall into another thousand years of darkness under the oppressive tyranny of the murderous greed of emperors and kings, or once and forever crush the evil immoral legacy of oligarchy rule. Rule of the individual, now and forever.
However, how can we expect to for the survival of these “United” States when our central government has almost no power under these Articles? For these is no unity when no national currency exists, when the armies of this nation serve the interests of their own State and not of the whole free people of this young nation, when our nation doesn’t have enough money to protect its sailors from piracy at sea? By no means should we return to supreme rule of central government, but these Articles are in too much excess of the original intent of the foundation of our nation. Therefore, I recommend the reform of these Articles to guarantee a government that can best govern and protect these young people of this young nation. Thank you.”

Portrait of John Hancock supposedly writing up his "Now and Forever" Speech

February 2nd, 1784: At the Pinckney Estate in Charleston, South Carolina, South Carolina Representative Charles C. Pinckney starts talking politics with his younger brother Thomas (who had his wife Elizabeth with him, the couple was described by most people as “inseparable”) in the family den during the evening that goes on for 4 hours or so. Thomas is not interested in running for politics, but his brother says that the young America needs a strong devoted leader like Thomas. Thomas asks why Charles doesn’t feel up to it, considering that he’s already in office to which Charles says he doesn’t have the persona, charisma, and salesmanship of Thomas. Thomas says he just wants to live a peaceful life overseeing the family plantations and taking care of his young wife Elizabeth and his baby boy and girl (for a man of his time, Thomas Pinckney was very affectionate). Charles scoffs and says that if he didn’t know any better he would swear his brother was the mother of the household because of how he never puts “Elizabeth in her place” and “babies her with gifts and praises without end”. Thomas then replies “she is my baby” (Pinckney’s use of the word “baby” would become a widely used term of endearment in the American vernacular by the 1820s) which causes a very tender moment between him and Elizabeth. Charles gets up from his chair and announces that he’s going to leave before they continue the family line (couldn’t resist!).

February 21, 1784: George Washington wakes up and goes outside to take a drip when he notices blood in his urine. When he visits the doctor the doctor has no idea what is wrong and that this is something he has never seen before. He does say that whatever is affecting Washington has something to do with his prostate. Decades later when medical science has become more advanced will it finally be known that George Washington was suffering from prostate cancer.
Meanwhile in Charleston, South Carolina, Thomas Pinckney is pondering over the biggest decision of his life.

March 5, 1784: Alexander Hamilton receives a letter from his illegitimate father George Washington informing Hamilton that he has a very bad ailment. Hamilton cringes as he reads the symptoms described and hope the ailment is only temporary in his newly discovered father’s system.

April 17, 1784: At the Fifth Congress of the Confederation, Virginia delegate and writer of the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, approaches the Congress with his own speech in regards to John Hancock’s speech in January:

"Gentlemen, a few months ago the honorable Governor of Massachusetts, Mr. John Hancock, approached this Congress of the Confederation with a statement about this great exercise in democracy known as the Articles of Confederation. As much as it pains me to say this but Mr. Hancock is right. There is no feasible way we can expect this union of free states to survive much longer unless significant reform measures are taken. I believe in individual liberty, I believe in small government, what I don’t believe in is granting 13 different states their own military, their own currency, hell even their own nations. How can we expect to protect these United States if we don’t even have enough money to save our sailors from pirates? For if we give unchecked power to state or federal entities, the rights of individuals everywhere would be in great jeopardy.
Therefore, with great reluctance I would like to introduce the “Article Reformation Act”, which calls for a system of “checks and balances” to prevent the usurpation of too much power by any one government entity over individual freedoms and rights. We don’t need a confederacy of states, we don’t need a monarchy, we need a republican system of governance that respects majority rule but also prevents tyranny of the majority."

Thomas Jefferson, at the time of the Fifth Congress of the Confederation.

April 19, 1784: The Congress of Confederation fails to pass Jefferson’s Article Reformation Act 28-22 (one of the few times that all delegates showed up to a session), opponents of the Act said it was either (a) too lenient on the States (federalist argument), or (b) was a betrayal of States Rights (hard core anti-federalist argument). As a result of this event the relationship between Jefferson and radical anti-federalist Patrick Henry would get icy. Moderates on both sides however, applaud Jefferson for having the courage to introduce a reform measure to the Articles despite opposition from fellow anti-federalists. A secret alliance between Jefferson, James Madison, John Adams, and other rational politicians would begin to create a “compromise plan” in regards to the Articles of Confederation.

The secret alliance of Anti-Administration and Pro-Administration officials debating over plan to reform the Articles of Confederation.

May 5th, 1784: At the state legislature building in Charleston, South Carolina, Thomas Pinckney walks up to his brother Charles and says simply: “You were right.” Onlookers to the exchange have no idea of what Thomas is referring to, but its effect would be widespread.

June 3rd, 1784: The Fifth Congress of the Confederation dismisses. At closing time it is announced that the Sixth Confederation Congress would commence on November 1, 1784 in Trenton, New Jersey. Also, a new President for Congress is to be elected no later than the end of the 1st month of commencement. Upon leaving the building Pennsylvania delegate Joseph Gardner exclaims “AIR!!!!!!” Everyone laughs because it was a joke on how many hours the Congress spent debating reform of the Articles of Confederation. Thomas Jefferson and fellow Virginian James Madison discuss the reforming the Article of Confederation on the way back to Virginia. James Madison tells Jefferson: “It’s only a matter of time before Congress approves of my plan.” Jefferson: “What plan?” Madison: “You’ll see”
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »

Type everything out on Microsoft Word before posting.  That way, you can make sure everything is the way you want it to be.

That's wha I do man.
I'm just pissed off the powerline blew up.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

This is what a good TL should be: fun, interesting, but most of all leaves you guessing as far as what happens next. This is especially fun for me, as I know far too little about early American history and far too much about modern politics.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

Also, for old maps just use the electoral calculator for 2008 and put the other states on tie.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 09:43:15 PM »

Also, for old maps just use the electoral calculator for 2008 and put the other states on tie.

Easier, you can enter in the year, or use Microsoft Paint.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2009, 10:10:14 PM by Mechaman »

This is what a good TL should be: fun, interesting, but most of all leaves you guessing as far as what happens next. This is especially fun for me, as I know far too little about early American history and far too much about modern politics.

I'm with you man, I know jack crap about early American history. In fact I spent 4 hours researching Wikipedia for information on the previous two entries. YOu won't believe how much research one must do to come up with events YEARS BEFORE we even have elections.

As for the TL, I view it like writing a story: These are more than politicians, they are people involved in this stage called Earth in the play named History. That is why I focus on certain individuals alot in their personal life, because I want people to come away not seeing these people simply as presidents or senators, but as true to life characters you can relate to. That's what I'm attempting to do with Thomas Pinckney right now because he is such a vital part of my storyline. We all know who Alexander Hamilton was, we all know who Thomas Jefferson was, but Thomas Pinckney....that's a character who nobody really knows anything about. I mean look at his wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Pinckney

That's like what, a tenth of the information on Hamilton or Jefferson? That gives me alot I can build off of, because nobody knows who this guy really is besides Pinckney's Treaty, and that's probably only the 10% of people who stayed awake during American History class. This gives me alot of opportunity to create a unique character unlike any seen in American history. More than that, I want to create a character who while you may not like his policies, you like the guy (if you like chick flicks you'll love him).

I have to warn everyone though: This timeline will take a long time. I will try to make an entry per day, whether it's a year, 8 months, 6 months, hell even 8 days in this storyline. Like I said in my first post this timeline will most likely take 1-3 years to complete. I will try as hard as I can to keep you guys waiting for updates, but remember this timeline will span 230 years (if it takes as long as I think it will), so it will be awhile before I get to the Progressive Era, hell even the Civil Era will take awhile to get to. Believe me, it kills me to wait this long before I get to those eras, but as a writer I'm dedicated to giving the greatest timeline experience I possibly can.

I know, many have failed what I'm trying to do and I can't guarantee I'll get this all the way done, but I can promise one thing: I will try damn hard to get it done.

I want to create more than just another timeline, I want to make this a story of a history that keeps you by the edge of your seat. Alot of stuff will stay the same, alot of stuff will change. But let me just say that for anyone who can't predict what happens next: You're not alone. Not even I know what will happen in the next half of 1784...........
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »

I see that the Articles of Confederation must be different from those in OTL.  Votes in Congress under the Confederation were by State, not by Delegate.  You can see a remnant of that in the system used under the Constitution to elect a President if the election passes to the House.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2009, 08:47:20 PM by Mechaman »

I see that the Articles of Confederation must be different from those in OTL.  Votes in Congress under the Confederation were by State, not by Delegate.  You can see a remnant of that in the system used under the Constitution to elect a President if the election passes to the House.

Yeah, there must be a majority to pass a resolution ITTL. When the Articles were originally being discussed the delegates decided to pass a "loser's weepers" voting system to keep delegates interested in attending since some states vary in political issues (like Virginia, South Carolina or New York ITTL). After all, Alexander Hamilton (delegate from Richmond ITTL) would vote pretty differently on most issues than say Thomas Jefferson who is a delegate from the Charlottesville area. It's like the US Congress that eventually comes out of it and the electoral college.

In fact, alot of the Pro-Administration faction in the Congress of the Confederation voted "nay" on the Article Reformation Act because one of the demands was for "voting to be by state".
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 11:54:37 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2009, 09:27:00 AM by Mechman »

June 9th, 1784: Back at his estate at Montpelier, Virginia, James Madison locks himself away in his study for three days taking breaks only to eat or sleep. What he is working on is nobody’s idea.

June 12th, 1784: After three whole days of working nonstop on his “plan”, Madison breaks away from the desk to have a hearty breakfast. After finishing breakfast Madison packs up his “secret plans”, a change of clothes, readies his fastest horse named Sparrow, and heads off in the direction of Charlottesville. He stays at an inn located on the outskirts of Charlottesville for the night.

Madison’s obsession with “the plan” would cause him to age at an alarming rate, many people say it may have taken up to 20 years off of his life.

June 13th, 1784 Jefferson is woken up by his 11 year old daughter Martha at 6:45 am.
Jefferson: Martha, sweetie, I thought I told you never to wake me up this early on Sundays. You know I’m not very religious.”
Martha: I know father, but there is a crazy man outside who wants to see you!” Jefferson goes downstairs and the first thing he sees is: James Madison?
Jefferson: “James, what the bloody hell are you doing here?”
Madison: “Remember how I told you about “the plan”?”
Jefferson: “My god you’ve lost it. People told me you were going crazy in that study of yours, now I’m inclined to believe them.”
Madison: “You don’t understand, this is REVOLUTIONARY!!!  This is the most revolutionary thing since the Declaration of Independence!”
Jefferson: “My god…….”
Madison: “I know how much this means to you Thomas, that is why I come to you first and foremost. Nobody loves this country more than you Thomas, except maybe George Washington….but I fear his time on this earth is limited.”
Jefferson: “Okay, do you have “the plan”?”
Madison: “Yes”.
Jefferson: “Alright, let’s take a look.”
Back on the good ole Pinckney Estate near Charleston, South Carolina: Thomas takes Elizabeth on the daily morning horseback ride along the beach. On the beach she reveals that she is once again with child. This will be the Pinckney’s third child in their six year marriage. Times couldn’t get any happier for America’s happiest couple.
Back to Monticello: Madison and Jefferson spend all day in the Monticello library room discussing and researching about “the plan”. The “plan” while already being written, is too informal to present to Congress as it is, thus why Madison is visiting Jefferson. Also, they need a structural blueprint to make it appealable to the other delegates. Eventually they find the perfect blueprint: The State Constitution of Massachusetts of 1780. The person behind it? John Hancock.

June 14th, 1784: Madison leaves Monticello and heads back to Montpelier to prepare for a trip up north…..to Boston, Massachusetts.

July 4th, 1784: On the first official celebration of Independence Day, Jefferson holds a massive firepower (equivalent to fireworks) party on his estate. People from all over the Charlottesville area bring their friends and family to Monticello to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. When asked by the local printing press about the event, Jefferson made the curt reply: “For the record, I got that document done by July 2nd, it’s all Samuel Adams fault for being two days late to sign just to prove he had a one arm up on the town drunk.”
Elsewhere at the Hancock Estate, James Madison is the honorary guest for the first national holiday.

July 5th, 1784: Madison asks Hancock about the Massachusetts State Constitution. Hancock tells him that for record keeping purposes 4 copies of the original was made. Madison wants to know how to obtain a copy. Hancock says that the copies are kept in the record keeping room of the State Legislature building (duh) and that Madison will need approval from the General Assembly to get a hold of the copy with a majority vote. So Madison approaches the State Legislature of Massachusetts and makes his plea for a copy of the State Constitution. The General Assembly overwhelmingly votes “nay” fearing that Madison is just using the document “for curiosity’s sake, and curiosity killed the cat”. Madison feels shut down after the overwhelming defeat, so he goes to Samuel Adams house to stay while he pens a plea speech to the Massachusetts General Assembly for the copy of the State Constitution.

July 6th, 1784: Madison once again approaches the Massachusetts General Assembly and makes a very dramatic plea:
“Gentlemen, I know your state constitution is not a thing to merely be handed out to scholastics for reading material, I know it’s the blueprint that has given the people of your state freedom of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I know how irritating it is to have a visitor from out of state enter your presence requesting to take one of the few copies of the State Constitution, I know.
However, these are trying times my fellow Americans (first time any public official used the phrase “fellow Americans”), the Articles as they are right now will only result in widespread economic and social ruin for us all if drastic steps aren’t taken. My friends, I have spent the previous month I should’ve spent staying with friends and family trying to come up with “the plan” that will transform this young nation from just a simple “experiment in freedom” to the “victory of freedom” over the evil imperialism of the oligarchs who have brought misery and shame upon the people of this world since the dawn of civilization. If you want to have the responsibility telling your children and grandchildren they could’ve been free if only you had let James Madison have a copy of the State Constitution, then vote "nay". Your Constitution provides the very structure that can make that dream happen. Yes you, the General Assembly of Massachusetts, can provide the firepower that can ignite this dream of freedom! All you need to do is give me your “ayes”!”

As a result of Madison’s speech, the General Assembly of Massachusetts overwhelmingly votes “aye”, a dramatic reversal from the day before, to allow James Madison the right to access a copy of the State Constitution of Massachusetts.

The Old State House in Boston where James Madison made his case.

July 18th, 1784: About midday, 5 pirate ships attack Johns Island, South Carolina. Due to the underfunding of the South Carolina navy, the pirates are able to sail through the tidal Stono River and capture the island and hold everyone there hostage, including the young Elizabeth Pinckney and her two children: Thomas Jr. (age 4) and Harriot Lucas (age 2). Thomas Pinckney, who witnessed the event while on a walk with his good friend and mentor John Rutledge, runs back to his Estate to arm himself and ten of his male slaves and leads them to the town square. The onlookers are shocked by the display of Pinckney and his ten armed negro slaves. Pinckney gets in the middle of the square and proclaims: “They’ve taken our wives, they’ve taken our children, but by god they will not take our dignity! Who’s with me men?!” Men by the dozens start standing behind the former Continental Captain Thomas Pinckney, who gives the order: “Men, grab your arms.”
By late evening, about 120 men led by Thomas Pinckney, board 6 small ships and cross the Stono River to catch the pirates off guard in a night attack. The 4 ships make land a good mile away from the pirate encampment at about 11:00 PM at night. The men arrive within earshot of the pirate camp 20 minutes later. At 11:30 PM, they commence the attack on the mostly asleep pirates. The end result 30 minutes later is 180 plus dead pirates, only a few dead from Pinckney’s army, and no dead hostages.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies