Eurovision controversies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:54:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Eurovision controversies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Eurovision controversies  (Read 2261 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2024, 12:07:29 PM »

I have voted once in the past, which was for Latvia in 2015.

This year i liked Netherlands maybe most, but not initially, but more after the controversy. But from the ones in the finals i guess Lithuania and Ireland were the ones i liked most. Lithuania for the music and Ireland more for the show (and sympathy with the Irish candidate).

Not a great contest tho song-quality wise imo.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2024, 12:07:33 PM »

Has anyone noticed the biggest controversy here? It's not Israel-Palestine When I was talking about real minorities, I was referencing the fact that the Croat act is from Istria. And yet while Switzerland was allowed to market their entire act of identity politics, had the nice gentleman from Istria flown the Istrian flag, he would have been banned. Also, someone was blocked from bringing an EU flag. To a Eurovision song contest.

It’s part of the Israel-Palestine controversy, it was to avoid turning the show into a even bigger clown show by having people bringing Palestinian or worse Hamas flags in.

Oh yeah the EU and Istrian flags are definitely comparable to bringing a Hamas flag.

It was a last moment decision in a pretty chaotic landscape, the ban was obvious not meant to be extended to EU or regional European flags, but when you’re dealing with security guards you give them a list of what is banned rather than letting them use their own judgment.

So get over it and move on.

Which is why the solution was to let Palestinian flags in and let Israel throw a tantrum and pull out.

No, the solution would have been to plan for this earlier, and allowed EU and regional flags in, instead of having to plan for this in the last moment. We should not allow people to pollute every single culture moment just because they have a cause, they think should fill everything.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2024, 12:57:12 PM »

Joost also became a hype here, i literally heard him multiple times outside, especially amonger younger audiences (kids & teens). He might have disqualified, but he has gained the most from this sh**tshow. He basically became a martyr and a God to the kids and youngsters. It's been a long time ago i've seen so much hype around someone.

If we had a Time election, he probably would win person of the year for 2024 already in Belgium and it's not even close.

The EBU made him a martyr.

Additionally, in both the Netherlands and Belgium, i see more calls and openly hard EBU criticizing and I think it's possible that we both (or 1 of the 2) might withdraw from the contest and i would support such a move.

It's a rigged and corrupt organization.

Many Flemish political parties such as Open VLD, Green, CD&V and PVDA have released similar statements already questioning EBU practices and our Eurovision participation as well as the political motivation of it, and I would support withdrawal from both Eurovision and EBU.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2024, 01:04:14 PM »

Three full pages and the start of the fourth about the politics (such as they are) of the kitsch, campy, vampy annual sing-a-long show.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2024, 02:16:33 PM »

The swiss song was fine, but the french and croatian ones were better.

Hurricane wasn´t the great thing. It has soome meaning, but that meaning is maybe too much political to be a winner song.

I don´t think any of the participants will get the success of Maneskin.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2024, 02:38:24 PM »

Israel’s got a lukewarm reception among the professional juries, while it have come second in audience score after Croatia and before Ukraine, the winner Switzerland would only have gotten a fifth place if only the audience voted.

UK got zero point among the audience, I would say it was surprising except I think the song deserved minus point. It was the worst song in the show.

Well Western Europe def voted en masse for Israel.

It's just Eastern Europe didn't, instead going for Croatia and/or Ukraine. And given Israel didn't win the televote but had far more twelve points, there are definitely some anomalies were Israel did perform much worse among the public vote.

Outside Ukraine and Croatia every single East European country voted for Israel.

Yes but not 12 points, which means other countries got more in those cases.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2024, 02:39:20 PM »

I don´t think any of the participants will get the success of Maneskin.

The dutch one will probably have the success domestically & Belgium, while most other candidates in the past 10 years sort of are forgotten already for the most part, barring a few exceptions (incl. the Dutch one that actually won).

Anyone else, likely not.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2024, 03:04:22 PM »

The real winner for Belgians.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2024, 03:07:54 PM »

About the "western vote", I think most of the people who voted for Hurricane was jewish or non-jewish zionist.
Somehow The Code has a higher rating than Rim Tim Tagi Dim in RYM, but both have decent ratings for Eurovision songs.

On Spotify Top Viral songs, Rim Tim Tagi Dim is #6 while The Code is #17.
Meanwhile, Europapa is #38 on Spotify Daily Global Top 50.

Mr Bightside is #30 in the UK, as usual.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2024, 03:08:31 PM »

Also reported in Belgian media... where Eurovision has been compared to Russia's media events, claiming that the masking of the boo'ing, the artificial applause, the strict guidelines, the banning of a lot of flags, lack of communication and free speech on the event is surprisingly reminiscent of Putin's propaganda tactics in Russia, making the whole event hypocrite considering Europe as a whole criticizes Russia for the exact same things.

The whole perception of Eurovision is openly hostile, and that changed in 72 hours where top people of media, ppl working for our broadcasting channel etc. definitely changed their communication with regards to Eurovision and where the criticizing is much more open and direct now. People are fed up. The EBU / Eurovision is done here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2024, 03:11:54 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2024, 03:15:18 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

About the "western vote", I think most of the people who voted for Hurricane was jewish or non-jewish zionist.
Somehow The Code has a higher rating than Rim Tim Tagi Dim in RYM, but both have decent ratings for Eurovision songs.

Most people who voted for Israel don't care about RYM and are low info voters, some even not even listening to it or most other songs simply because they wanted to virtue signal by voting Israel.

In the Netherlands, PVV (far-right) and BBB (agrarian) were the ones to openly call to vote for Israel In Belgium, some people within N-VA (neoconservative) did the same. And generally, parties associated with these kind of movements probably did all over Europe. Israel also had an agressive media campaign.

There are AI vids of the singer asking to vote for hurricane released in 15 languages (AI generated) in Italian, German, Spanish, French, English, Dutch, Czech, Polish, Latvian, Estonian, Maltese, Greek, Georgian and Serbian that were released on several social media channels including YouTube targetting these audiences.

That's also against the rules (paid advertising) but the EBU didn't intervene.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2024, 03:15:58 PM »

Most people who voted for Israel don't care about RYM and are low info voters, some even not even listening to it or most other songs simply because they wanted to virtue signal by voting Israel.

In the Netherlands, PVV (far-right) and BBB (agrarian) were the ones to openly call to vote for Israel

In Belgium, some people within N-VA (neoconservative) did the same.

I didn´t want to relate the first paragraph with the rest, obviously the average zionists don´t know about RYM.
I was just doing a general analysis of the success of the songs.
The people who side with Israel are zionists, even if they are pro-western virtual-signalers.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2024, 03:20:33 PM »

Also interesting...

Switzerland only finished fourth in the second semi finals, which is probably the worst any eventual winner has ever done in a semi finals.

Israel, Netherlands and Armenia did better. Netherlands of course was disqualified, Armenia ended 8th, Israel ended fifth.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2024, 03:27:38 PM »

In the Netherlands, PVV (far-right) and BBB (agrarian) were the ones to openly call to vote for Israel

In Belgium, some people within N-VA (neoconservative) did the same.

I didn´t want to relate the first paragraph with the rest, obviously the average zionists don´t know about RYM.
I was just doing a general analysis of the success of the songs.
The people who side with Israel are zionists, even if they are pro-western virtual-signalers.

Well Switzerland benefitted from amazing jury performance (apparently) and good execution of song as well as non-binary identity.

Ireland also benefitted from non-binary identity, as well as a unique music style and great act as well as her maybe being the most pro-openly Palestine to finish sixth.

Croatia was the crowdpleaser, the Kaarija of last year.

Ukraine was a good song, but got a sympathy boost as well (though i mean they always have good songs, Ukraine is very good in these kind of song contests, always have been, the one with the best record overall).

France usually is the best or second best one of the big five nations, this time no different. Usually good quality and jury performance.

That other one is Italy which benefits from the San Remo festival, an excellent preselection filter, almost always guaranteeing quality or something that the crowd will like.

Armenia did well, there might be a sympathy boost but I doubt people are educated enough and it usually get buried under Ukraine and Israel. But i think it did well since it was also a stand out since it was more folk-ish and one of the very few songs not sung in english, which nowadays actually means they might get a boost because of that, since there'll be those kind of people who will like countries that do something more traditional or culturally unique.

Portugal was visible pro-Palestinian. Greeces singer also, they were tenth and eleventh.

And Sweden in Eurovision is a household name, and also has excellent preselection in Melodifestivalen, usually always doing one of the better pop songs, together with Ukraine they have the best record in the festival.

Luxembourg had the Israeli-Luxembourg singer. While Germany stands out because of its relations to Israel.

Lithuania also had LGBTQ identity and has a song about that.

Everyone else i don't know about but they also weren't really succesful.

Usually in festivals like this it benefits to stand out or have some kind of brand you are known for being branded on you (like LGBTQ).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2024, 05:07:20 PM »

Why is non-binary so special if the current attitude in LGBT theory is to think every person is non binary? In fact, why is LGBT so special? In the Euro bubble here in Brussels being LGBT is as big an asset to get ahead as being a Freemason or a golfer. I get it that there's still so much homophobia around Europe but isn't it getting a tad ridiculous how many flags there are for each one at this stage? Either everyone brings a non-binary flag or no one does!

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2024, 05:40:21 PM »

Interestingly no Israeli song here... Seems like people didn't listen to the song at all when voting for it.

And the Dutch running away with this, a majority of dutch people obviously is thinking now the whole contest was rigged and stolen from them.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2024, 06:19:14 PM »

Still a few aftercontest controversies

Portuguese broadcasting operator also not satisfied.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2024, 06:34:52 PM »

Why do the juries always have the worst votes known to mankind?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2024, 06:38:32 PM »

This is just sad. Eurovision should be a talents competition where people set aside their differences and go for the most fun and skill and recognize the skills of Europeans everywhere. This is sad.
#KeepPoliticsOutOfEurovision
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2024, 06:45:50 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2024, 07:14:18 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

Lithuanian singer also called it his worst experience in his life.

And not shown on television (but lots of booing) which well some of that was heard via cable but there is an applause band while the booing is filtered.

And also booing for Eurovision boss Martin Osterdahl (but that was not really filtered, since viewers at home could hear it too) when he announced the points for the Netherlands, given the Dutch withdrew from announcing points theirselves so Eurovision boss had to do it.

And when Ukraine took over Israel, the cheering actually got louder.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2024, 11:46:18 PM »

If I actually bothered to vote in this (LOL) or cared about it in the slightest (bigger LOL) I would've definitely done everything I could to vote against the Israeli contestant, not for anything related to Israel but for her being a disgusting Putin simp. She sounds like a female Israeli version of SirWoodbury, what a truly vile person.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2024, 11:47:38 PM »

If I actually bothered to vote in this (LOL) or cared about it in the slightest (bigger LOL) I would've definitely done everything I could to vote against the Israeli contestant, not for anything related to Israel but for her being a disgusting Putin simp

As best I can tell, she was a young teen when she performed in Russia prior to the current full invasion of Ukraine. That issue seems somewhat overblown to me.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2024, 12:56:42 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2024, 01:01:11 AM by OSR stands with Israel »

If I actually bothered to vote in this (LOL) or cared about it in the slightest (bigger LOL) I would've definitely done everything I could to vote against the Israeli contestant, not for anything related to Israel but for her being a disgusting Putin simp

As best I can tell, she was a young teen when she performed in Russia prior to the current full invasion of Ukraine. That issue seems somewhat overblown to me.

The real reason to vote for the Israeli here is the fact that multiple posters said her routine was like similar to what you would see an American do.

Anyway in all seriousness if I cared about this , I would have rooted for the UK as I always root for the UK in European competitions or international competitions as long as they are not facing the US or India(In Cricket or Field Hockey). Like I rooted for England:

Over NZ in the Cricket World Cup Final in 2019
over Italy in the 2021 Euro Cup Final
for them in the 2018 World Cup and 2022 World Cup after the US was eliminated.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2024, 07:31:15 AM »

Also a violation of Eurovision rules

Our broadcasting network might file a complaint.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2024, 07:36:32 AM »

Portugal not happy too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »