Which countries are most unknown relative to their population sizes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 09:56:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which countries are most unknown relative to their population sizes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which countries are most unknown relative to their population sizes?  (Read 285 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2024, 03:36:02 PM »

An international version of this thread.

Indonesia and Bangladesh are obvious examples.
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »

https://clickhole.com/jesus-christ-we-didnt-realize-lotta-people-in-indonesia/

Also, The Democratic Republic of the Congo. Population 105 million.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:31:58 PM »

The Vatican seems like a very obvious example of the inverse - a very well-known country relative to its population. Though I guess it’s debatable how many people are even aware it’s its own state.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 05:59:37 PM »

People know it exist, but mostly for its colonial dark past, Patrice Lumumba, Ali fight and maybe for the recent wars.

Its association football team isn´t much succesful, so it has some impact outside of the USA. Here in Latam most young and middle aged males know that Senegal exist.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 06:39:45 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2024, 08:21:59 PM by TDAS04 »

Sukarno turned against India during the 1960s, in part because he didn’t appreciate Nehru’s India taking up so much of the limelight for South/Southeast Asia and the developing world, particularly within the Non-Aligned Movement (Nehru and Sukarno had previously been close allies during the ‘50s). Indonesia supported Pakistan in the 1965 India-Pakistan War, and claimed the Andaman and Nicobar Islands (Sukarno might have even referred to the Indian Ocean as the “Indonesian Ocean.").
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 06:59:59 PM »

Ethiopia might be a good candidate.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 08:02:21 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2024, 08:05:50 PM by LAKISYLVANIA »

Perhaps Nigeria but I feel like it would still be one of the countries named first if people had to name african countries (after egypt & south africa maybe).

Tanzania on 24, Myanmar on 26 (!), Uganda on 32, maybe Sudan on 35, Uzbekistan on 39, Angola on 42 and Mozambique on 45 are good candidates. Perhaps Yemen, Ghana & Ivory Coast but i feel like all of these have a bit more name recognition.

Out of the top 50, i bet the least named country would be Myanmar, Angola or Mozambique out of these. Maybe Uzbekistan and Tanzania. And that would almost certainly be the top five.

Some African nations would simply be more known to ppl in Europe because they would have a great football team like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana & Cameroon.

So for that reason, Angola has a decent team but it's been a while - since 2006 - they have been on a tournmaent, so i guess Myanmar or Mozambique would be the answer. The first at least has some coverage because of political events (the junta & Aung but that'll only be highly informed people), but I rarely like ever hear abouT Mozambique... and if i never heard it was a country, it would be the most likely one to not have heard off.

So i bet its Mozambique.

LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 08:07:38 PM »

The Vatican seems like a very obvious example of the inverse - a very well-known country relative to its population. Though I guess it’s debatable how many people are even aware it’s its own state.

Quite a bit of countries are. Like Monaco is especially known for the city. Countries like Liechtenstein, San Marino & Luxembourg just for some memes.

Iceland surprisingly is only 172th, just having the population of Leicester or a major city in USA, and it's definitely a country with a lot more name recognition..

Iceland is actually a good call here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 08:30:55 PM »

Indonesia seems like the winner, but Kinshasa for the most unknown capital of that size.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 09:46:04 PM »

Perhaps Nigeria but I feel like it would still be one of the countries named first if people had to name african countries (after egypt & south africa maybe).

Tanzania on 24, Myanmar on 26 (!), Uganda on 32, maybe Sudan on 35, Uzbekistan on 39, Angola on 42 and Mozambique on 45 are good candidates. Perhaps Yemen, Ghana & Ivory Coast but i feel like all of these have a bit more name recognition.

Out of the top 50, i bet the least named country would be Myanmar, Angola or Mozambique out of these. Maybe Uzbekistan and Tanzania. And that would almost certainly be the top five.

Some African nations would simply be more known to ppl in Europe because they would have a great football team like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana & Cameroon.

So for that reason, Angola has a decent team but it's been a while - since 2006 - they have been on a tournmaent, so i guess Myanmar or Mozambique would be the answer. The first at least has some coverage because of political events (the junta & Aung but that'll only be highly informed people), but I rarely like ever hear abouT Mozambique... and if i never heard it was a country, it would be the most likely one to not have heard off.

So i bet its Mozambique.

Outside of Lusophone countries I suspect Mozambique is extremely anonymous.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2024, 09:59:37 PM »

Relative to future population, probably Nigeria. It had almost as many births as China last year.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies