Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:17:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163191 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »
« edited: December 01, 2008, 10:05:09 PM by TommyC1776 »

President Roosevelt addresses Americans late in 1933.  "We are doing all we can Americans.  We have passed 8 bills in Congress so far.  We're working hard for you.  Just be patient and things will look up."

On a side note: July 4th, 1933- Gandhi is imprisioned.  2 days later the first MLB All Star game is played in Chicago.   In August the Simele massacre occurs.  In it 3,000 Assyrian Iraqi's are killed by their government.

October 1933: Germany leaves the League of Nations.

In November 1933 the US and Russia establish diplomatic relations.  That same day the President of Brazil proclaims he's a dictator.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #226 on: December 01, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »

In later November 1933 Congress repeals Prohibition.  It then goes to the states for ratification.  President Roosevelt signs it into law a about a month later.

As a joke Roosevelt says (on the radio) "Drinks are all on me.  Haha.  Just a little humor here folks."

1934 here we come.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »

On January 3, 1934 the 2nd session of the 73rd Congress begins.

They start bringing up more bills.  In February 1934, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 passes Congress 259-173.

The Senate debates the bill and passes it 56-40.  President Roosevelt starts campaigning for Democrats all across the country.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 is brought up a few months later.  Congress passes it 253-182 on June 3rd, 1934.

The Senate passes it 54-41.  Roosevelt is happy all this legislation has been passed.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »

Midterm Elections, 1934:

House: 256 Dems, 169 Reps, 9 Progs., 1 Soc.
Senate: 53 Dems, 38 Reps, 5 Progs.

Same leaders as before except theres a new House Speaker as Rainer.  Joseph Byrns is the newly elected Speaker of the House.

President Roosevelt states "Voters requested more Democrats as a mandate of our policies.  We will continue to work on behalf of you.  Lets keep together and we will continue to get through this Depression."

1935 is coming up shortly.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2008, 12:47:59 PM by TommyC1776 »

In January 1935 Senator George Norris announces "I want to announce today that I wont be running for the Progressive nomination for President in 1936 and concentrate on my re-election to the Senate.  I'm sorry to disappoint supporters but I feel right now that I am better fitted in the Senate.  I plan to endorse and campaign for whoever the candidate is."

Meanwhile Congress is debating the Soil Conservation and Domestic Allotment Act of 1935.

The act dealt with conservation of soil.  It finally passed on March 1st, 1935.  The House vote was 263-175.  Then the Senate brought it up the next day.  It passed 57-36.

They took a few month recess.

Senator Joseph France states on April 20th, 1935 that he is going to run for the Republican nomination in 1936.  "Today Americans I declare that I am interested in the Republican nomination for President in 1936.  I plan to challenge the Democrats on the issues and their expansion of government.  They just cant keep growing it as big as they want to.  Let's get to work and win the nomination as well as the election in 1936."

President Roosevelt states "If France is the nominee for the Republicans again I can beat him once more.  He's just not right for America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

Congress starts debating the National Labor Relations Act of 1935.  The House votes 261-173.  The Senate votes 59-37.

Then a few weeks later Kansas Governor Alf Landon announces he will be a candidate for the Republican nomination in 1936.

"Today Americans I am jumping into the race for the Republican nomination in 1936.  We will stand up for real Americans and not make Government so large.  It's the American Dream to have freedoms.  Let's go and fight for regular Americans.  Thanks and I ask for your support in the Republican primaries next year."

a few days later a poll comes out for the Republican nomination.

Republican nomination poll:
France 49%
Landon 43%
Other/Undecided 8%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

Then, after long considerations, former President Henry Ford decides to jump into the race for the Republican nomination for President.

From Dearborn, MI he makes his announcement:  "Americans, we are here in a time of need.  We need better leadership than we are getting.  Therefore I am announcing that I will be running for the Republican nomination for President.  I will stand up for ordinary Americans and continue all the progress we got from my administration.  Remember how better off we were under me?  We can and will get back to that if I am elected for a third non consecutive term.  Now, lets go and join the fight."

Senator France and Governor Landon are a little worried now that Ford is in the race.

Meanwhile, Congress comes back in August and they work hard to pass a few more bills before going on break until next session.

The bills they pass are: Motor Carrier Act, the Social Security Act of 1935, Public Utility Act of 1935, the Revenue Act of 1935 and the Neutrality Act of 1935.

One of the most important act of all of these is the Social Security Act of 1935.  It aides people after they retire.

theres a new poll out for the Republican nomination.

Republican poll:
Ford 43%
France 34%
Landon 19%
Other/Undecided 4%.

Former President Ford is happy with the polls.  Senator France states "I am not as worried as I should be because I know that I am the better qualified candidate at this time.  President Ford is getting older and he will be 73 years old when he is inaugurated."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »

In the meantime, in October the Italian army invades Ethiopia.  The next month Britains Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin is re-elected.

A Republican Presidential debate is scheduled for December 4th, 1935.   Robert Trout will moderate the debate.

On the Progressive side both Senator Hiram Johnson, Senator Burton Wheeler and Congressman Henry Wallace are all taking shots at becoming the Progressive nominee in 1936.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »

Republican Presidential Debate: December 3rd, 1935

Moderater: Robert Trout.

Trout: Hello Americans and welcome to a debate between the 3 candidates for the Republican nomination.  We have with us tonight, former President Henry Ford, former Senator Joseph France and Kansas Governor Al Landon.  First question, would you keep or get rid of Social Security?  Go ahead Senator France.

France: Well first I want to thank for being here at Ohio State University and I want to thank my 2 opponents for showing up.  As far as Social Security goes it seems like a great idea.  I dont have a problem with helping people out but I dont like giving Government handouts to everyone.  Like I said back in 1932, the poor are who we need to concentrate on.

Trout: Alright.  Thanks Senator.  Go ahead President Ford.

Ford: I want to thank Ohio State University for hosting this debate as well as my opponents. I believe Social Security is a necessary institution myself.  I have to agree with Senator France as far as Government spending goes, though.

Trout:  Alright sounds good President Ford.  go ahead Governor Landon.

Landon: Alright.  Thanks to Ohio State University and Robert Trout for hosting this debate here tonight.  I have to say Social Security is a great institution that we really needed to help our elderly.  Some people think that this wanst necessary but it actually was necessary.  I believe for the most part with President Roosevelt's New Deal.

Trout: Alright thanks.  Next question, how is your administration going to be different from what President Roosevelt's has been?  go first President Ford.

Ford: Well, when you look back to my term from 1921-1929 we were doing great economically.  We didnt have much spending going on at the time either.  Spending and government interference in people's lives is why we need a budget.

Trout: Senator France.

France: Well once I  get into office some of the liberal ideas of the Roosevelt administration would be gone.  The National Recovery Act would be gone as it is too liberal.  We can only help people so much in this time of need.

Trout: Governor Landon.

Landon: In my first 4 years I would keep the NRA, as it is a fine organization for the most part.  Senator France is wrong to denounce this.  The other thing I would do is reduce spending and keep an eye on the poor and middle class.

Trout: Alright thanks.  Last question.  Why do you all think your each better than your opponents to defeat Roosevelt?  Governor Landon.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2008, 09:38:08 PM »

Landon: I believe I am a better candidate than President Ford or Senator France because I understand the concerns of everyone.  I know that Americans want to be helped and I feel I am the best one to help them.  I understand everyday Americans more than both of my opponents do.

Trout: Alright Senator France.

France: I think I would be a better leader than both of my opponents because I am for smaller government although I feel the lower classes pain.  One of my opponents wants to do exactly what Roosevelts doing and the other just wants to lay off government entirely.  We need a moderate in this party to bring about change.  I am the one that can do it.

Trout: President Ford.

Ford: Both of my opponents are wrong.  They havent done as much as I have.  I've been President before and I understand the government better than they do too.  Being a leader I feel I am the best to represent all Americans.  Senator France and Governor Landon won't."

Trout: Alright Americans, you've heard it here.  Now get ready for the primaries next year.  I'm Robert Trout. Goodnight.

Americans thought that Ford won the debate.  Ford stated "I felt I did a great job and I feel I won the debate."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #235 on: December 05, 2008, 12:41:30 AM »

1936 is here.

Roosevelt is ready for a challenge from any of the 3 Republicans.

Meanwhile on the Progressive side, the frontrunner is Hiram Johnson.  Senator William Borah (P-ID) endorses Johnson for the nomination.

Meanwhile, Senator Charles Bryan (P-NE) endorses Congressman Henry Wallace (P-IA).

The primaries are coming up soon.

Get excited.  ok?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »

In February 1936, the Neutrality Act of 1936 passes the House 259-174.  Then the Senate vote is 57-39.

Roosevelt kept getting Congress to pass these bills so they (being the U.S.) wouldn't be involved in the European conflict between Europe and Asia.

New Hampshire: March 10th

Republicans: 11 delegates
Ford 47%-5 delegates
France 43%-5 delegates
Landon 10%-1 delegate

Ford makes his speech "We did it.  We won New Hampshire.  I want to thank you all for your support.  It's been a pleasure campaigning here and meeting all the nice people.  Thanks again."

Progressives: 8 delegates
Johnson 51%-4 delegates
Wheeler 34%-3 delegates
Wallace 15%-1 delegate

Johnson is happy he won.  "We now have a chance to keep winning primaries as well as the Progressive nomination."

Franklin Roosevelt comments on the wins.  "Ford's win in New Hampshire wasnt that much of a surprise.  He campaigned hard and worked hard there too.  Now Senator Hiram Johnson won for the Progressives and he's done very well for himself not just tonight but throughout his whole life.  Now I just have to win in November once each of the nominees are set."

Former President Ford is campaigning hard in Wisconsin and he hopes he can win there.  "The people of Wisconsin I want you to know that I will stand up for you in Washington if I am President again."

Al Landon leaves Wisconsin to Ford and France while he campaigns in Illinois and Nebraska.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2008, 12:19:23 AM »

As Wisconsin's Republican primary approaches it looks like Ford will win it big.

On the Progressive's side Johnson looks like he will win the primary.

Ford states "With your support I can and will win Wisconsin big.  Winning Wisconsin will mean our campaign is gaining steam.  Let's go forward and win more and more."

France tells his supporters in WI "We cant let Ford in again.  I need your help for an upset victory in Wisconsin."  Privately France states he is looking forward to Illinois (the following week).
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »

Wisconsin: April 7th

Republicans: 24 delegates
Ford 54%-13 delegates
France 37%-9 delegates
Landon 9%-2 delegates

Ford states to his supporters "I want to thank my Wisconsin supporters.  But I wouldn't have got this far were it not for New Hampshire.  Thanks again to New Hampshire.  Now lets go on and keep winning and eventually win the nomination."

France states "We must stop the former President from winning the nomination. I am a better candidate than he is or ever will be.  I'm also younger too."

Progressives: 13 delegates
Johnson 56%-7 delegates
Wheeler 30%-4 delegates
Wallace 14%-2 delegates.

Johnson: "Things are certainly looking well for us, aren't they?  Now lets go on to win the nomination for the Progressives."  he says to cheers.

Illinois: April 14th

Republicans: 57 delegates
France 49%-28 delegates
Ford 44%-25 delegates
Landon 7%-4 delegates.

Progressives: 37 delegates
Wheeler 43%-16 delegates
Johnson 30%-11 delegates
Wallace 27%-10 delegates.

Nebraska: April 14th

Republicans: 14 delegates
Landon 44%-6 delegates
Ford 40%-6 delegates
France 16%-2 delegates

France stated "We won Illinois.  We're keeping this race open ended.  I feel I now am on track to become the Republican nominee with hope."

Landon states "Winning Nebraska has kept us in this race today.  Now lets go on from here."

Progressives: 9 delegates
Johnson 50%-5 delegates
Wallace 34%-3 delegates
Wheeler 16%-1 delegate

On the Progressive side, Hiram Johnson states "We only won 1 primary today but we still are in the lead and we can only go on from here."

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-49 delegates
France-44 delegates
Landon-13 delegates.

Progressives:
Johnson-27 delegates
Wheeler-24 delegates
Wallace-16 delegates.

Then they have about 2 weeks to campaign until Massachusetts and Pennsylvania's primary.

Ford states "Alright now lets go onto Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.  Let's show Senator France and Governor Landon we mean business."

Ford Motor Company CEO (and Ford's son) Edsel Ford (himself eyeing a run in 1940) campaigns hard for his dad in Pennsylvania while Clara Ford (Henry's wife) campaigns hard in Massachusetts for her husband.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:43 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2008, 01:05:47 AM by TommyC1776 »

Over the next 2 weeks Henry Ford puts out a radio ad "Hello Americans in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.  I want to remind you of the great times we had in the 1920's when I was President.  Remember that when you vote on April 28th.  I'm Henry Ford and I approve this message."

Senator France puts an ad out in both states "America, can we really afford having Henry Ford as President again?  After all, he's getting up there in years.  A vote for me is a vote for a man who understands America's problems.  Vote for me on the 28th of April to help you. I'm Joseph France and I approve this message."

Ford states privately "Senator France is so desperate he feels he has to combat the truth in my ad."

Meanwhile, the primaries are coming up soon.

Massachusetts: April 28th

Republicans: 33 delegates
France 50%-17 delegates
Ford 43%-14 delegates
Landon 7%-2 delegates

Progressives: 21 delegates
Johnson 57%-12 delegates
Wheeler 34%-7 delegates
Wallace 9%-2 delegates

Pennsylvania: April 28th

Republicans: 75 delegates
Ford 52%-39 delegates
France 40%-30 delegates
Landon 8%-6 delegates

Al Landon drops out and endorses Ford.  "Today I feel it is right for me to step aside and endorse former President Ford for the Republican nomination in 1936.  He's our best chance for winning this year.  We must win and I will do anything I can to help him win."

Progressives: 59 delegates
Johnson 53%-31 delegates
Wheeler 39%-23 delegates
Wallace 8%-5 delegates

Congressman Henry Wallace drops out and endorses Hiram Johnson.  "Today I am dropping out of the race for the Progressive nomination for President in 1936.  I am endorsing Hiram Johnson for the nomination and urge all my delegates to vote his way at the convention.  Thanks again.  I really had fun."

Total delegates so far:

Republicans:
Ford-123 delegates (with Landon's delegates)
France-91 delegates

Progressives:
Johnson-93 delegates (with Wallace's delegates added).
Wheeler-54 delegates

Burton Wheeler declares he may leave the race if he doesnt have a good showing in Maryland.

Senator France stated he's hoping on a big win in Maryland so he can keep running.  "I must win Maryland big in order to stay in the race."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »

Maryland: May 4th

Republicans: 16 delegates
France 63%-10 delegates
Ford 37%-6 delegates

Senator France says "Today our campaign has woken up out of the dead.  Thank you Maryland.  Now, we shall continue.  Lets go and take South Dakota as well as California.  We can do this.  Thanks and continue your support."

Ford states "Today's loss was expected but we're still ahead in delegates so I'm not that worried at this point."

Progressives: 7 delegates
Johnson 58%-4 delegates
Wheeler 42%-3 delegates

Burton Wheeler withdraws from the race.  "I now am dropping out and endorsing our nominee for President Senator Hiram Johnson.  Let's have a great race this year."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

California: May 5th

Republicans: 44 delegates
Ford 55%-24 delegates
France 45%-20 delegates

South Dakota: May 5th

Republicans: 8 delegates
France 54%-4 delegates
Ford 46%-4 delegates

Total delegates so far:
Ford-157 delegates
France-125 delegates

Senator Joseph France anounces he will be meeting with his advisors as where to go from here  (meaning possibly a drop out by the next day).

Fmr. Pressidet Henry Ford states "We've done it.  We've won over half the delegates in this primary process, which means we're the most likely nominee for the Republicans."

France's speech goes "First I want to say: thank you South Dakota.  My supporters, I want to say, we did very well tonight.   You help keep me in the race.  Do we really want a nominee who endorsed Hoover back in 1932 when I ran against him?  I dont think so.  Lets go and take Ohio and West Virginia."

Ford doesnt like the signs of France staying in the race at this point.

The next day: Senator France starts campaigning in West Virginia.  He leaves Ohio to Ford.  He puts a radio ad out for a few days in Ohio and WV.  "Americans, remember how President Ford endorsed President Hoover in the 1932 primaries?  Well it would seem to me that Ford is just going to be another Hoover.  Hoover-Ford, Ford-Hoover, however you say it, it's the same.  I'm Joseph France and I approve this message."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2008, 10:48:06 PM by TommyC1776 »

Ohio: May 12th

Republicans: 52 delegates
Ford 55%-29 delegates
France 45%-23 delegates

West Virginia: May 12th

Republicans: 16 delegates
France 58%-9 delegates
Ford 42%-7 delegates

That night the delegate count is Ford 193 delegates to France's 157 delegates.  Senator Joseph France announces he is leaving the race.  "Today I grudginly leave this race.  I am going to do whatever I can to re-elect President Ford.  Let's get Republicans back in control of the White House.  Thanks again to you all."

Breaking News: Henry Ford is the Republican nominee for President.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #243 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »

On May 18th Hiram Johnson announces that he has selected Burton Wheeler as his running mate in 1936.

"Senator Wheeler is a great man.  He represents the Progressive cause real well. He can help this ticket this year."

Also that day Congress starts debating the Rural Electricfication Act of 1936.

The House votes 261-173.  Then the Senate votes 57-38.  Then President Roosevelt signs it into law.

Coming up: Progressive Party Convention.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »

Progressive Party Convention: May 29th-May 31st

Hiram Johnson is nominated on the first ballot.  On the VP ballot Wheeler is nominated unanimously.

Johnson tells the delegates "We can and we will win this election.  We just cant trust the Republicans and Democrats anymore.  The Progressive Party is better for America at this time of need.  Lets go and beat President Roosevelt and former President Ford in this race.  Thank you for the honor to serve as the Presidential candidate this year."

The Progressive ticket is Johnson/Wheeler.

Meanwhile,  Henry Ford is getting prepared to make his running mate soon.  Top contenders that Ford is looking at are Joseph France (former rival in the primaries) or Maj. Frank Knox of Massachusetts.

A reporter asks France if he would accept the offer to be VP on a Ford ticket.  "I would be honored to be on the same ticket as President Henry Ford.  We may have had our differences in the primaries but putting that all aside for the Republican cause so we can make a great win in 1936.  But we must wait and see what his decision is.  Thats all for today sir. Thanks."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #245 on: December 10, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2008, 04:55:41 PM by TommyC1776 »

Breaking News: Fmr. President Henry Ford selects Senator Joseph France as his running mate in 1936.

Senator France states "I want to thank President Ford for asking me to be part of the Republican team in 1936.  We can and we will beat the Democrats this year.   Just remember how things were under President Ford's administration.  It was peaceful and thats what you'll get if you re-elect him to a non consecutive third term.  Thanks and lets get going everyone."

Republican National Convention: June 9th-June 12th.

President Ford is nominated on the first ballot.

President Ford makes his nominating speech at the Convention.  "Hello Republicans, I am here to serve you and to make America better than what our current President has done to it.  We need more conservative values.  One thing I will say that we need to keep is Social Security.  That's one of the things that got passed that I believe in.  OTher than that we need to have a hands off government.  Remember the 1920's?  Well thats what you'll get under me again.  Thank you.  God Bless."

The Republicans now have Ford/France as their 1936 ticket.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #246 on: December 10, 2008, 05:05:08 PM »

Democratic National Convention:

The Roosevelt/Cox ticket is renominated on the first ballot.

Franklin Roosevelt speaks to the delegates "Democrats, welcome to the 1936 Democratic Convention.  Now, I want to say we have had successes in passing legislation the past 4 years.  Let's continue our good work of the government helping the needy.  We're a country that allows you to do as you please but a lot of the time people need assistance and thats what kind of a platform we're adopting this year and this will be the best platform we can use this election year."

The Democratic Convention is now over.

Campaign 1936 begins today:

Roosevelt starts campaigning saying "Republicans dont care about the homeless and the less fortunate.  Under me we've done well with the lower class.  The programs passed under this Roosevelt administration have been very helpful to the American public.  Remember to vote for the right ticket in November.  Vote for Senator Cox and I.  Thank you."

Presidential debate: one is scheduled this year on October 18th, 1936.  Robert Trout will moderate this debate.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #247 on: December 10, 2008, 11:28:30 PM »

President Ford campaigns hard in the Northeast while France campaigns hard in the South and the West.

Senator France states at a rally in California, "Everyone remember the good old days during President Ford's first 2 terms?  They we're great right?"  (at this point shouts of "Ford & France, Ford & France" go around).  "Alright" says France "Yes yes yes.....etc" from the crowd.  "Thanks.  Now, all I can do is spread the message, you have to be the one to get out the vote for the Ford/France ticket this year.  Remember, it's up to you.  Thank you."

President Ford addressing a rally in New Hampshire "Everyone here in New Hampshire you can help me win by giving me your votes.  The Republican ticket is the best ticket around this year.  Just keep remembering the 1920's and how good we had it.  We also cant keep creating new programs for the government.  One exception, in my opinion, is Social Security.  We must care for our elderly.  Their the ones we look up to when we have a problem.  Now get ready for another 4 years of a Ford Presidency.  Thank you."

Meanwhile, FDR is campaigning in Colorado.  "Colorado you must deliver your votes to me in November.  I am the only candidate running who understands all of our concerns.  President Ford doesnt understand them and neither does Senator Johnson.  We cant let our country go to either of these men this fall.  Lets make sure the Roosevelt/Cox ticket is re-elected this year.  Thank you."

The debate is almost here.  Get ready for the only Presidential debate of 1936.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2008, 09:25:03 PM by TommyC1776 »

Presidential Debate: October 18th, 1936

Moderator: Robert Trout
Participants: President Franklin Roosevelt, President Henry Ford, Senator Hiram Johnson and Mr. Norman Thomas.

Trout: Hello Americans and welcome to George Washington University in Washington DC.  Tonight were here for the only Presidential debate of 1936.  We have with us tonight, President Franklin Roosevelt of the Democratic Party, Former President Henry Ford of the Republican Party, Senator Hiram Johnson of the Progressive Party and Mr. Norman Thomas of the Socialist Party.  Thanks to all 4 of you for showing up here tonight.  First question, should the government intervene in people's lives the way it has under President Roosevelt?  President Ford go ahead.

Ford: First I want to thank George Washington University for hosting this debate as well as my 3 opponents for showing up tonight.  In answer to your question, government isnt always the solution to the problem.  We have seen this in many of our past Presidents but not to the extent that President Roosevelt has done.

Trout: Alright thanks President Ford.  Now, President Roosevelt go ahead.

Roosevelt: I too want to thank the University for hosting this debate as well as my opponents for coming.  In response to your question, I dont think that government has been that bad to our country under me. I just feel that helping people is a very nice thing to do.

Trout: Governor Roosevelt thanks for your words.  Go ahead Senator Johnson.

Johnson: Thanks to George Washingont University, Robert Trout and my 3 opponents for coming tonight.  As far as government aid to Americans, I feel that it's right for the government to help us.  If everyone can give a helping hand at the local level why shouldnt the government be able to do the same?

Trout: Thanks Senator Johnson. Mr. Thomas go ahead please.

Thomas: Thanks to everyone for coming tonight.  I feel honored to be here.  Now, I feel that President Roosevelt is doing what he can to help.  Although, I feel, that there may be other ways to help Americans.  I just want you all to know that Social Security has been more of a Socialist idea rather than a Democratic one.  The Democrats claim to take credit for it but it was our party which thought up that plan back in the early 1900's.

Trout: Next question, was it a good thing to repeal Prohibition?  President Roosevelt, please go first.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »

Roosevelt: I thought repealing Prohibition was a good thing.  We had crimes in the streets when it was intact.  Reducing crime is a good thing for America as far as I'm concerned.

Trout: Senator Johnson.

Johnson: I have to agree with the President on this one.  We're a country about freedoms and having Prohibition intact was going against America's beliefs.

Ford: I thought that leaving Prohibition as the way it was, was wrong.  We do however need to control the drinking in this country somehow.  I would've kept it into law until we got something better.

Trout: alright.  Mr. Thomas.

Thomas: Prohibition was wrong.  It's just that simple.

Trout: Alright lastly, I would like you all to explain something good that you would do in your administration?  Mr. Thomas go ahead.

Thomas: In my first term I would make sure all of Americans were working and that there wages be determined by what your job is.  There are people out there who dont make decent wages while some make more than they should.

Trout: Senator Johnson.

Johnson: In my first 4 years in office I would make sure everyone is treated equal.  Thats what Americas all about, being equal to one another.  Also, I would give aid to the less fortunate because not all of us are so lucky as to get certain things.  I will think of them every day I am in office.

Ford: One of the things I would do if I were to be elected to a third term is continue our progress from the 1920's of less government and more freedoms.  We cant keep giving money away to people.  But let me say this, there is one Roosevelt program I would keep, and thats Social Security.  Caring for our eldery is a must.  As I have said before we all look to our elders for advice on different issues.  Thats my plan.

Trout: Finally, President Roosevelt.

Roosevelt: If I am elected to a second term I would continue the progress that our country is going on.  We're on the right track and I wouldnt trust any of my opponents to be in their at this time.  I feel that I am the strongest man up here to tackle the issues and the one who understands all of your problems.  Thanks.

Trout: Alright now I want to thank all of you for coming tonight.  America I also want to thank you for listening tonight, as well.  Remember to vote on Election Day November 3rd, 1936.  Thats it from here.  I'm Robert Trout from George Washington University.  Goodnight and Goodbye.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies