Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:14:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 39
Author Topic: Bryan defeats McKinley, 1896!  (Read 163453 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: January 20, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »

Mondale in 1988, something beautiful Grin
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #776 on: January 20, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #777 on: January 20, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »

Republican Convention, 1988:

The Republicans gather in their convention to nominate Howard Baker and Jack Kemp for President and Vice President.  

President Bush speaks on the first night and says "I have trust in a Baker/Kemp administration when that comes to be.  We can't afford another Democrat in the White House.  Remember what happened the last time we did?  We ended up with a recession and unemployment rates that skyrockted.  Therefore we can't trust the Mondale/Hart team for America.  Thank you."

Jack Kemp speaks on the third night of the Convention.  "I am happy to be on this side with Senator Baker.  We're really going to show those liberals that we mean business.  Remember lower taxes when you vote.  The Democrats want to increase your taxes.  They never say that but in the end they do that."

On the final night, Senator Howard Baker makes his acceptance speech.  "Republicans, just remember that election day isn't that far away and that we can have a big upset that day over the Democrats.  We can't afford all this government spending they want to do."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #778 on: January 21, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »

On the Campaignt Trail, 1988:

Former CA Governor Jerry Brown goes across the country campaigning hard for Mondale/Hart.  He says "We need a Democrat in the White House this year.  Over the last 8 years the Republicans haven't looked out for the interests of the poorest Americans.  We can't afford 4 or 8 year more years of that.  That's why we need Mondale and Hart in 1988 for President and Vice President."

Former President Stassen goes out on the campaign trail for Howard Baker and Jack Kemp.  "We need to keep Republican leadership in the White House.  We can't afford liberal Democrats anymore.  With Baker as President he will balance the budget and keep it in a better stance than Mondale would.  Let's hope for the best in 1988: a Baker/Kemp landslide."

Republicans are hoping to gain more seats in Congress.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #779 on: January 21, 2010, 01:36:36 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 01:40:43 AM by TommyC1776 »

Presidential Debate: October 15, 1988

Dan Rather: Welcome everyone to the Presidential Debate of 1988.  We have with us tonight Senators Walter Mondale and Howard Baker.  Alright men, first question, are we on the brink of breaking up the Soviet Union?  Go ahead Senator Mondale.

Mondale: Well, I believe we're getting there.  We've seen the Soviet Union break up over the past few years.  We need to have meetings with Mikhail Gorbachev to discuss the problems of the country.

Baker: Dan, I'd say that we're getting close to the Soviets falling.  I also believe that we need to have negotiations as Senator Mondale said.

Rather: Second question, what should be done about government spending?  Senator Baker.

Baker: I believe that we need less government.  Senator Mondale will increase the size of government which isn't right.

Mondale: As long as we're spending the money on the social problems and helping others.  We've had success with government intervention including slavery, civil rights and even the healthcare bill passed back in 1955 which was one of the greatest programs we've done here in America.

Rather: Alright.  Last question.  What's the most important thing you want to accomplish in your first term?

Mondale: Mine will be to look out for the poor and unfortunate and reduce your taxes.

Baker: In my first term I want to spend less money on these government programs to cut the budget.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #780 on: January 21, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »

Poll, 1988:
Mondale 49%
Baker 46%
Undecided 5%

With just a couple weeks left in the campaign, both Mondale and Baker are still in a tight battle.  Baker tells supporters "We have a real chance to win this race.  I plan to keep pushing bipartisanship real hard until Election Day.  We can't just run a government with one party.  We need bipartianship.  Thank you and God Bless America."

Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #781 on: January 21, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »

Presidential Election, 1988:

Walter Mondale
Howard Baker

PV%: Mondale 51%, Baker 48%, Other 1%.
EV: Mondale 270, Baker 268
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #782 on: January 21, 2010, 02:12:21 AM »

Senate: 55 Dems, 45 Reps.
House: 243 Dems, 192 Reps.

The Democrats gained seats in both Houses therefore Mondale will have a Democratic Congress to work with.

Howard Baker tells supporters "I want to congratulate Senator Mondale on his win tonight.  I also want to thank all of my supporters who believed in me.  We almost had it but we lost.  However, I plan to help President-elect Mondale whenever he needs advice on any issue as President.  Thanks again everyone and God Bless you all."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #783 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2010, 04:25:17 PM by TommyC1776 »

A month after the election theres speculation that Mondale might pick Ted Kennedy to be Secretary of State.

On January 3, 1989 the 101st Congress took office.
On January 15th, 1989 President Bush announces his farewell address.  "I want to thank you all for giving me 8 great years here in Washington.  It's been a pleasure to serve you all.  I also want to thank Ronald Reagan for being a great Vice President.  He's a great man to serve with.  Thanks again Americans."

Inauguration Day, 1989:

Walter Mondale

President Mondale tells Americans "I want to thank all of you who supported me in the campaign last year and I also want to get the trust of those who didn't vote for me.  I plan to work well to have a bipartisan administration.  We need to move forward with great ideas for America now and in the future.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #784 on: January 21, 2010, 04:42:47 PM »

Senate Leaders:
Majority Leader: Ted Kennedy (Jan. 3rd-Jan. 22nd)
Majority Leader: George Mitchell (Jan. 22nd onward)
Minority Leader: Bob Dole

House Leaders:
Speaker of the House: Tom Foley
Majority Leader: Dick Gephardt
Minority Leader: Robert Michel

On January 22nd Ted Kennedy is confirmed as Secretary of State by the Senate 95-1.  With Kennedy out of the Senate his seat is open and thus the Governor of Massachusetts can appoint someone to fill the void until a special election in November.

On February 1st, MA Governor Dukakis appoints former Senator Paul Tsongas to fill the seat until the November special election.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »

In late February the House passes the Whistleblower Protection Act of 1989 with a vote 259-176.  A couple weeks later the Senate votes 60-40.  President Mondale signs it into law on March 13, 1989.

A few days later President Mondale bans the importation of certain guns to the United States.

On April 19th, theres an explosion on the USS Iowa.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »

In May, Congress debates the Flag Protection Act of 1989.  President Mondale says he will veto this legislation if it passes both Houses.

The House debates this issue for the rest of the month with the final vote being 223-212.  Then the Senate votes 50-50 with Vice President Hart casting the tie breaking vote against the bill.  The House says a similar bill will be before Congress sometime next year or so.

Meanwhile, the Democrats nominate Paul Tsongas for the special election for MA Senator.  The Republicans nominate Joseph D. Malone.  President Mondale goes to campaign for Tsongas in Massachusetts.  Secretary of State Ted Kennedy goes to help Tsongas for Senate.  Kennedy states "Senator Tsongas is a great man and I trust him as the best nominee for the Senate to represent Massachusetts for the next three years.  He will continue his great work as a man for the people."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2010, 01:01:47 AM »

polls for the MA Senate race: Malone 48%, Tsongas 46%, Undecided 6%.

Tsongas states "People of Massachusetts must decide that they want a common man over a rich businessman.  We can't afford a Republican in Massachusetts.  Thanks."

President Mondale is worried that he will lose a Democrat in the Senate this November.  "I can't afford a loss in the Senate as it may slow down some legislation."  he says privately.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #788 on: January 23, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »

On January 22nd Ted Kennedy is confirmed as Secretary of State by the Senate 95-1.  With Kennedy out of the Senate his seat is open and thus the Governor of Massachusetts can appoint someone to fill the void until a special election in November.

I wonder, who cast sole nay vote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #789 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »

Very good updates! I hope Tsongas can pull this through!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Senator Paul is elected to the Senate in the special election.
Senator Paul Tsongas

MA Special Election:
Tsongas 53%
Malone 47%

Tsongas tells his supporters "Thank you Massachusetts.  I'm glad to be elected back into the Senate.  Over the next few years I will work real hard for the common man and fight the special interests in the rest of this term as Senator."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #791 on: January 25, 2010, 05:40:36 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2010, 05:42:39 PM by TommyC1776 »

The Berlin Wall falls in late November:

President Mondale states "This is a great day for the free world.  I've talked to the German President Weizsacker.  I plan to send Secretary of State Kennedy over to Germany to discuss future help from the United States."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #792 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »

On January 11th, 1990 300,000 people demonstrate independence for Lithuania.

Then on January 22nd, President Mondale has his State of the Union Address:  "Americans, we're now better off than we we're under President Bush.  I've traveled the country to see the problems of Americans and look out for the low income people.  Also, we saw the Cold War start to drop over the past few years which may improve our relations with the Soviet Union.  Alright, thank you.  God Bless America."

On January 31st, the first McDonald's in Russia opens in Moscow.

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #793 on: January 26, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

On February 11th two things happen: James "Buster" Douglas defeats Mike Tyson in the World Heavyweight Boxing tournament to win the crown.  Also that day, Nelson Mandela of South Africa is released from prison after being in there since 1963.

Douglas-Tyson fight

Nelson Mandela

Wait and see what happens.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #794 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »

By April 1990, Congress starts debating the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990.  The House passes it 270-165.  Then the Senate passes it 70-30.  President Mondale signs it into law on April 30th, 1990.

"This is a great day for disabled Americans.  It will be wrong to discriminate against them in everyday life which is a step forward for Civil Rights.  Thank you."  says President Mondale.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #795 on: January 29, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »

On June 1st, President Mondale and Mikhail Gorbachev sign a treaty to end chemical weapon production and start destroying them soon.

"Today we're planning to end nuclear weapons.  A great day in American and Soviet history to end these horrible weapons."  said Mondale.

On June 7th, Universal Studios opens in Florida.

Universal Studios
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #796 on: January 29, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »

Over the next few weeks, Congress is debating the Omnibus Budgget Reconciliation Act of 1990.  The House passes it on July 7th 290-145.  Then the Senate votes 74-26.  President Mondale signs it into law on August 1st, 1990.

Meanwhile, President Mondale is campaigning hard for Democrats in the fall.  He hopes that Democrats can get close to 60 in the Senate.  Polls for Democrats show their in the lead.

Wait and see what happens in the midterm elections.  Just get ready for them.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #797 on: January 30, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »

Midterm 1990:
House: 259 Dems, 176 Reps.
Senate: 59 Dems, 41 Reps.

Senate Leaders:
Senate Majority Leader: George Mitchell
Senate Minority Leader: Bob Dole

House Leaders:
Speaker of the House: Tom Foley
House Majority Leader: Dick Gephardt
House Minority Leader: Robert Michel

Mondale states "I want to tell the American people thanks for having faith in the Democratic Party for the next 2 years."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #798 on: January 30, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »

A week after the election Congress debates and passes the Native American Graves Protection And Reperation Act of 1990.  The House passes it 265-170.  Then the Senate passes the bill 69-31.  President Mondale signs it into law on November 18th, 1990.

Then Congress debated the Immigration Act of 1990 over the next week.  It changed the number of legal immigrants allowed in the USA.  The House passed it 255-180.  The Senate passed it 63-37.  Mondale signs it into law on November 30th, 1990.  Congress adjourns December 1st.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #799 on: January 30, 2010, 04:38:35 PM »

Over the next month the Iraq and Kuwait conflict goes better than expected.  They enventually consented to Iraq's wishes of repaying the debt.  President Mondale decided to not get involved in the conflict as it was working out better.

January 3rd, 1991 the 102nd Congress started.  Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole stated "We, Republicans must stick together to stop any landmark legislation proposed by the Democrats."

Senate Majoirty Leader Mitchell says "We will get as much done in this Congress as possible and the Republicans won't get us iin trouble."  Meanwhile, President Mondale asks Congress to pass a hate crimes bill for the disabled as well as revisit the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and include a bill for homosexuals.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies